[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Shmups fun to play?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
I never ever owned a shmup and only played it once in my life. I have a Dreamcast and so many people recommend the shmup games saying how good they are. Thing is, being someone who never had one, a shmup just seems like a basic, uninsteresting game genre. What makes them so good that people recommend them? How are they different from each other?
>>
Why not try playing some to see if you like them you incomparable homo.
>>
>>3864345
The feeling of dancing between those bullets (and successfully dodging them) and killing dozens of enemies at once are what make a shmup cool
>>
Shumps are only fun when played for score. If you don't have the patience or skill to practice a 30-min game for at least 10 hours, don't bother with them. Easy shumps, like Compile, are boring and thus shit.
>>
ShMUps in particular are all about getting into the "zone" which gets your brain running a particular way almost like drugs but if this genre was a drug it would be a little too high-strung for me because of the constant frame-splitting reactions required. It's not the timing since I can get into fighting games, but racing games are about as far as I enjoy games that require constant focus. It's a buzzkill honestly and ShMUps are just too much for me. A lot of their fans pride themselves on it being the most intense game genre and arguably they might be right.
>>
>>3864345
Touhou games are cancer.
>>
>>3864376
My ex used to play it, one of Touhou's characters was even his waifu for some time
>>
>>3864357
Chainin' though…that's shit. When I find out, my face turns beet red, I throw the controller…
>>
>>3864345
Older shmups are fun to play, but most gamers started gravitating towards newer games, and the only people still playing shmups were the hardcore players. Because of this, modern shmups cater for the modern hardcore shmup fan base, consequently they require turbo autism to figure out most patterns and are just not that fun to play.

And this is how games like Batsugun and Battle Garegga are now considered the best shmups ever.
>>
>>3864368
>Shumps are only fun when played for score.
objectively wrong
>>
>>3864386
>Batsugun
>best ever
lolno
>>
>>3864345
if it seems like you would be interested in learning what shmups are about and building up that skill set then you might think they're fun
if you don't know how to play them and just want to mash the shoot button you probably won't enjoy it very much
>>
>>3864386
Unless you're doing something like playing a black label version of a Cave game most modern shmups are actually easier than older ones because 90% of the bullets on screen are just for show and you have a way smaller hitbox than older ones.
>>
A lot of game genres are basic, but it doesn't mean they are bad and basic is often good.

You maneuver and shoot.

Games can vary between horizontal and vertical, if there is level design or not, how enemy behave or their shot patterns, what sort of ship upgrade system they have along with how upgrades affect the game. It is bewildering to see someone not seeing the appeal of shooting games if they post on a retro video games board.
>>
>>3864368
Shmups are only fun when played for 1cc completion.
>>
>>3864345

I'd hardly call bullet hells shmups. It's a whole different style of gameplay. You just sit there and dodge patterns of bullets. Only an autist would find this kind of shallow gameplay "deep."

>What makes them so good that people recommend them? How are they different from each other?

Horizontal and vertical shmups are mostly the same, just different orientations. These mostly consist of series like Gradius, Star Soldier, Darius and R-Type. There are a lot of environmental obstacles that factor into these games - it's not just dodging enemies and enemy bullets.

Rail shooters are a bit different. Your vessel is automatically moved along a linear path, and your objective is to align your targeting system with enemies as they appear on the screen. Skill lies in being able to change targets quickly enough to avoid giving enemies any window of opportunity to attack you first.
>>
>>3864479
>I'd hardly call bullet hells shmups. It's a whole different style of gameplay. You just sit there and dodge patterns of bullets.
Oh so just like most older vertical shooters? get a load of this uneducated retard
>>
>>3864345
it's skill-based gameplay distilled. no fluff, basic mechanics - akin to rhythm games. easy to learn, hard to master, and all about the challenge.

you can probably figure it out from that whether it's your cup of tea. if you want recs, pick one or two from each major dev (see bulletmagnet's articles in racketboy) and figure out what clicks with you. then set goals and put in that work.

be aware that shmup threads are shitpost central. try the games yourself instead of trying to sift through the bs. come back later for the shenanigans.

>>3864383
what if it has a nice headbangin' soundtrack for longhairs?
>>
Play Gokujou Parodius aka Fantastic Journey, it's funny and charming enough to be your first initiation.
>>
>>3864376
Correction: Part of the touhou fanbase is cancer
The games themselves are good for people that just started to play shmups/bullet hells (and the Lunatic difficulty can be interesting even for veteran players), different from popular belief, the game doesn't is a memefest by itself, the story actually is pretty decent at surface but it has a bit of depth if you look analyze it (I mean, if you care about it to begin with) and the character design is not sexualized in any way, despite all the fanmade hentais and stuff.

All things considered, it's good but I would never call it a 10/10, I think people just like to hate it because of the fanbase plus it has girls so it's instantly labeled "putrid weeb game for pedos".
>>
>>3864345
The game in your picture is not a SHMUP, it's an autist thing called bullet hell.

If you want to get into SHMUPs, try Gradius, R-Type, Parodius and pretty much half the TG-16 catalog.
>>
>>3865186
>it's a horibaby episode
>>
>>3864345
play cho aniki
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.