[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing Retro Consoles on HDTV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: download (14).jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download (14).jpg
11KB, 259x194px
So I decided to break out my old consoles, namely the SNES, N64, and Gamecube, and play them a bit. I knew they were going to be fuzzy on my HDTV, and I don't have a CRT lying around, nor do I have the space to put one. My question is, is there any way to reduce this blurriness/fuzziness to sharpen the picture a bit? I have done a bit of searching and have found pretty much only 2 options:
1. Composite/component to HDMI converter
2. S-video to HDMI converter
A local store sells Composite converters pretty cheap. Is this a good option? Will it make the picture quality any better at all? I have scaled down my aspect ratio to 4:3, and this makes it look a bit better, but will either of these converters help further? Thanks for any help/advice in advance.
>>
>>3863753
If your HDTV has scart inputs, get some RGB scart cables

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nintendo
>>
There's always space for something like a
19 inch CRT. Go on Craigslist and grab one for free.
>>
>>3863823
I just checked. No scart inputs on my tv. I'm currently playing my gamecube (I realize that isnt considered retro by this board, but it's relevant to what I'm asking) and thought about getting the component cables for it, but holy fuck they're like $200
>>
File: scart to yuv.jpg (21KB, 327x264px) Image search: [Google]
scart to yuv.jpg
21KB, 327x264px
In a perfect world you would get a high performance upscaler like an XRGB or the OSSC being discussed in >>3857942

A somewhat less expensive option is to use unscaled RGB through SCART which you may need to transcode to YPbPr (component) if you live in the US using pic related ~$50 plus the cost of an audio breakout since it stupidly doesn't have audio

The cheapest way to do what you're trying to do though is just to give up on the consoles and emulate to get a pure digital output - Wiis and Raspberry Pis are popular options.

Or if you want to be cheap and still use your real consoles buy yourself a high quality CRT for $0-$10
>>
>>3863753
If your TV has VGA input, get a SCART to VGA scan doubler.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15Khz-RGB-RGsB-RGBS-to-VGA-Scan-Line-Doubler-Converter-/310413209763

$100 and you can get 480i RGB.
This is especially useful if you don't have a set that supports 240p.
>>
File: csy-2100[1].jpg (30KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
csy-2100[1].jpg
30KB, 550x550px
>>3863839
Get the RBG scart cables and one of those CYP scart RGB to component converter boxes
>>
>>3863867
>This is especially useful if you don't have a set that supports 240p.
It should be added that most modern TVs don't support 240p
>>
>>3863862
>$50 plus the cost of an audio breakout since it stupidly doesn't have audio

This is solved by getting 2 female RCA leads for audio and soldering them directly to the relevant scart pins on the input, and drilling a small hole for the cable.

Essentially, it's free if you have a spare cable, drill, and a soldering iron.
>>
>>3863839
Gamecube reduced its cost by not including a progressive scan encoder so it's built into the cables so they were always expensive and rare. A Wii will play Gamecube games native in 480p over cheap component cables.
>>
>>3863873
>most

ehh.
like 30-40%.
The cheaper you go, the more likely it won't support 240p.

Most panasonic and samsungs can do it fine.

I use a panasonic viera plasma that handles 240p like a champ.
>>
>>3863873
It's about 50/50. The easiest way to make sure is to use component cables plugged into a PS2 to play a PS1 game (with all post processing/"enhancement" turned off)
>>
File: 1485322670662s.jpg (2KB, 125x70px) Image search: [Google]
1485322670662s.jpg
2KB, 125x70px
>>3863823
>>3863862
>>3863867
>>3863868
>>3863874
I'll look into taking one of these routes. Thanks for the advice, all
>>
>>3863884
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=240p_test_suite

Just use the 240p test suite.
SegaCD, TG16 CD, Wii, and Dreamcast versions are all super easy to get running (homebrew on easily hacked wii, or burn a CD for DC/TG16CD/SCD)

If you have a flash cart, there's also versions for Genesis, SNES, and Neo Geo/MVS/CD.

You can also buy a physical 240p test cart for Genesis here for $20:
http://db-electronics.ca/product/240p-test-suite/
>>
>>3863901
It's easier to just put a PS1 game in your PS2
>>
For N64, why does it say: "RGB SCART cables are only compatible with the N64 once the console has been modified for RGB video, otherwise the best video output is composite video for the PAL N64 and s-video for the NTSC N64. "

here: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nintendo/n64

and yet: N64 S-Video & AV cable - PAL version being sold without flinching here:

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/
>>
>>3864120
It could be one of those shitty "s-video that's actually composite" cables.
But idk why the PAL version wouldn't have s-video if the NTSC one does.
>>
>>3864120
>>3864147
Wait, I actually bothered to look at the site.
>S-video an be used on all charcoal/dark grey PAL N64 consoles. Special edition coloured and Pokemon PAL N64 consoles don't seem to output S-video.
>>
>>3864120
Apparently the consolegoods cable is modified in some way to activate s-video on PAL N64s.

Check out the lifein16bit blog post on the subject.
>>
>>3864082
PS1 games can't test flicker, drop shadow or striped sprites.

You also can't use a PS1 game to calibrate your color and gamma, or test input lag.

240p test suite is awesome.
>>
>>3864147
The PAL N64 was a shit show. Even the composite output is worse than the composite on a SNES or NES PAL as well. I have one of those PAL S-Video cables and I get a horrible checker board effect that implies the video encoder is only intended for composite. Nowadays I use a Jap one with an NTSC S-Video cable and even with composite the image is clearer and sharper. I dunno why the PAL consoles were so unloved.
>>
>>3863836
>>3863862

>I don't have space for a crt
>get a crt
>>
>>3865050
You make room for a CRT because it's worth it
>>
>>3865050
I'm sorry but I really have a hard time imagining a home or even a room that doesn't have space for a 10 or 13 inch crt. Post a picture of your space and I'm sure someone can help you clear up 1 cubic foot of space.

>>3864182
I agree but I wasn't posting about what's awesome I was posting about the easiest way to see if your display is even capable of 240p.
>>
What about the famous frameister?
>>
>>3865224
Too expensive for the average 4chan user and thus a "meme"
>>
>>3865240
But it is still the best choice, right? If you have the money
>>
>>3865160
Well maybe they want to play games in the large tv/games room with a big screen instead of huddling over a 13 inch screen they managed to squeeze in there for marginally better video quality.
>>
>>3865262
Well then they should probably go with one of the other options I suggested or possibly a CRT projector
>>
>>3865270
>CRT projector
Worst advice I ever heard, especially for a n00b or anyone with space and/or cost concerns.
>>
>>3865304
Jesus could you move the goalposts any more? Are we talking about someone with a games room or arewe talking about someone who lives in a closet? Are we talking about someone who has no money, $100 or $500 to invest? There is no one "best" way for everyone and you can't have everything you want especially if one of those things is not to spend more than a certain amount of money.
>>
>>3863862
CRTS are not cheap at all. Have you seen ebay?

I was able to get a RCA Colortrax plus for 12 USD a while back, but it only does composite. I heard you can somites modify some crt sets with rgb inputs but I need to research more into that topic.
>>
>>3865312
Shipping is the reason CRTs are expensive on ebay since they are heavy and fragile. Shop locally, ideally at like Goodwill or Salvation Army but possibly Craigslist or even Facebook. There are thousands of TVs sitting unused that people basically just want to be rid of but don't want to throw away - although you could probably just cruise around on trash night and find one on the curb, too.
>>
>>3865312
Who buys CRTs on eBay? They're literally free on the street.
>>
>>3865308
You moved the goalposts yourself, Fairbanks. Check the thread title then see who was the second person to commence the derailment.

I've only been a regular on /vr/ for a couple of years but have yet to see a single person here with a functioning CRT projector setup. Kinda says something don'tchathink?
>>
>>3865339
I answered everything the OP was specifically asking in the fourth post then the thread progressed to general discussion about display technology. That's the thing about threads that ask specific questions they often go on far beyond the answer to the question.
>>
>>3865240
I've got one.
>>
>>3863862
>plus the cost of an audio breakout since it stupidly doesn't have audio
Where can I find this adapter. For the life of me and I can't find one anywhere that will ship to the US
>>
>>3865473
Right when I say something I find it on eBay
For those that are looking for it eBay
>SCART audio breakout box for SCART to YUV (component video) converters
>>
File: s-l400[1].jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
s-l400[1].jpg
16KB, 400x400px
>>3865481
>>3865473
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152431674873
>>
>>3865367
It progressed that way because you just had to mention CRTs when OP had explicitly stated that he neither wanted nor had space for one.

Keep it to one thread please the one where you're too pussy to use your trip.
>>
Just get a white wii and soft mod it with component cables. looks better than actual consoles line doubled with a dvdo iscan plus v2 s-video to ypbpr on my tv and GC in 480p was a life changer
>>
>>3865802
This is really solid advice.
>>
>>3865464

You have money. And you're generally an awesome person.

Most people here don't have money so they bitch about anything that costs money.
>>
>>3866243

>generally an awesome person

let's not be too hasty...
>>
>>3865797
Although I wrote the current "spirited discussion" version of the /crt/ op pasta I don't generally keep up with it. I have my 5" 14" and 20" PVMs and my CRT projector (admittedly not currently hung) so I'm pretty happy. Advising OP that acquiring a CRT is one option for a very small budget that beats cheap upscalers and compares to using an emulation machine that outputs progressive scan doesn't seem inappropriate to me considering the bottom line tier I put it on.

I honestly have no idea why anons get so triggered by CRTs, it's not like they're difficult to come by. I guess they feel judged on account of the upscaling artifacts or delay that they're trying to pretend doesn't exist playing interlaced consoles on progressive scan displays. Depending on your display it might not be a very big deal at all in anything but the twitchiest games that I personally don't even usually play.
>>
>>3863753
>nor do I have the space to put one
Yes you do, stop being stupid.
As for your consoles, don't bother hooking them up to a HDTV. Just use emulators, they look 100 times better.
>>
>>3866320
>all that assumption

This anon has plenty of CRTs thank you very much. One 29", one 27", one 21", four 20", one 19" and one 14". My flatscreens don't get used for SD gaming but I have an OSSC in case I ever change my mind on that.

Now please do excuse me, it's house move day and I need to start transporting them across the city.
>>
>>3866320
Every one hates it when you mention CRTs in threads like these because it's explicitly stated that OP doesn't want a CRT.
It's like emufags in a flashcart thread ir flashcartfags in a emulation thread.
>>
>>3866406
Not everyone has the luxury of floorspace.
Like, at home I have a 42" CRT, but right now I'm living in a college dorm, so that CRT would take up nearly third of my floorspace.
>>
>>3866320

Despite the name you seem like a very reasonable person. I've seen your posts in a few other threads.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.