[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who prefers ALTTP to OOT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_3543.png (28KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3543.png
28KB, 1920x1080px
>inb4 hi arin
I've played and beaten both, and honestly I prefer ALTTP. The story is original, unlike OOT which essentially remade it in 3D, and still controls beautifully to this day. Not that OOT is a bad game, but I found it pretty boring honestly. Is it a nostalgia thing or what?
>>
File: notruescotsman.jpg (115KB, 600x672px) Image search: [Google]
notruescotsman.jpg
115KB, 600x672px
nah dude, there's a lot of us. I'm the freak that actually prefers ALBW...
>>
File: fed.jpg (160KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
fed.jpg
160KB, 1024x1024px
>>3863182
>Am I the only one who prefers Final Fantasy 6 to FF7? I bet I'm the only gentleman to came across to this conclusion
>>
>>3863196
No it's just that every time I make a thread about why OOT is pretty dated all I get is people telling to kill myself and calling me Arin
>>
>>3863182
Not Arin, but i've been saying that for years, you're not alone
>>3863196
and I do prefer 6 to 7
my only argument is that Kefka actually won, Sephiroth didn't
other than that it's just entirely subjective after that
>>
>>3863182
Almost everyone I know prefers ALTTP. Only people I know who like OOT better had the N64 as their first console. Older or younger than them, it's ALTTP all around.
>>
>>3863182
>Am I the only one
No, not in anything. Nothing is original, all things are repeating. Your individuality is illusory and also your opinion of OoT is a shit.
>>
>>3863221
>fedora tipper is an underage who loves OOT
Really made me think
>>
Nope. Now its cool to shit on N64 and call super the greatest ever
>>
>>3863182
Fuck the Ice Palace.
>inb4 pleb
I don't care, fuck the Ice Palace.
It's the only reason I'm in favor of global warming.
All the backtracking and retrying AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH FUCK THE ICE PALACE.
>>
>>3863230
Regardless of how you feel about individual games, can you honestly say that the N64's library stands a flame to the SNES'? That'd be like pretending the 3DS has a quarter great games as the DS.
>>
ALTTP > OOT for sure
>>
>>3863182
Yes anon, out of a population of 7.1 billion you are the only person with this opinion. The absolutely only one.

>>3863196
Butthurt FF7 fanfag
>>
>>3863182

im probably a little over halfway through OoT and I dig it a lot but i think much of it is nostalgia.. its confusing.. you really need a strategy guide. and its definitely the kind of game you'd just play as a little kid and get lost for a few months in the year, maybe give up, and end up beating it next year with the help of a guide or some friends

I've only just started ALTTP, i think the general combat is harder. ive got a soft spot for Links Awakening though..

ive started so many games that I havent finished. im on a big zelda kick now that BotW is out and I just bought Yoshis Wooly World yesterday...

from anon to another anon, help a guy out. an hero is not an option. do I go and play the first LoZ on my 3DS and finish these few Zelda games while going back and forth to BotW? and then I can continue on the rest of my backlog or what? (an hero not option)
>>
>>3863242
3ds to ds is much less margin than n64 to snes
>>
>>3863251

btw ALBW is the only Zelda game ive ever truly finished.. GOAT material.. my sister bought it without asking me what I wanted (and I would not have said Zelda) but now I'm loving it
>>
>>3863251
you're trying too hard to fit in

also original Zelda is despite what /vr/ would claim NOT the kind of game you play blind.
>>
>>3863253

I don't like this meme. is the DS library really that great? compared to 3DS? I played on the DS, i would like some examples as to what makes it so great jw
>>
>>3863242
Aha! But the N64 has two zeldas
>>
>>3863257

i'm not trying to hard to fit in. I had a Playstation back when all the other kids were playing Zelda, Banjo Kazoee and Goldeneye
>>
>>3863257

im not a noob to retro games.. well ive got it on 3ds and I can save state and trial and error. would it be harder than OoT?
>>
>>3863263
There is absolutely no indication for almost anything. This is an NES game, certain standards weren't set yet
>>
>>3863257

can i get some banter or is this just an underagers thread? am I underestimating /vr/? is 4chan literally a fedora lying on the ground?
>>
>>3863253
>>3863258
Not really, the 3DS has a bigger number of good, exclusive games than the N64 does.

>>3863259
>Majora
>not a minigame
wew lad
>>
>>3863265

I see. well ive completed FF 1, Castlevania, Gradius, Kid Icarus, Super Mario Bros..

I feel you.. but it did come in a golden cartridge
>>
>>3863272

I didn't play on the N64 much but its got a nice chunk of titles.. Ogre Battle??? well, I love the 3DS and ive got a bunch of games for it but there are a ton of RPG titles that I did not play. I think that the 3DS library might be comparable to the N64 library (in terms of the best titles)..

but yeah overall the consistency of quality on the 3DS is nearly unparalleled. now that i think about it, i actually feel weird when I see a bad game on it.

dont murder me, this is how i really type
>>
>>3863228
>Really made me think
Don't lie
>>
>>3863287
Lurk more for 2 years if you don't understand memes.
>>
>>3863279
>>3863291

well im a long time lurker.. i guess im being off-topic. or im getting cucked by /v/r
>>
>>3863292
also, not that memer. im the guy ranting right now
>>
>>3863291

are you just an underager who has been here for 2 years trying to get some kind of vidya hipster cred by being into old games?
>>
File: 1488758835650.png (10KB, 147x147px) Image search: [Google]
1488758835650.png
10KB, 147x147px
someone in this thread prove to me that you guys arent just underagers posing or else i'll post irrelevant pics
>>
File: 1488774610549.jpg (44KB, 467x735px) Image search: [Google]
1488774610549.jpg
44KB, 467x735px
>>3863291
>>3863287
>>3863272

not to be an arse hole but the video police is here, show me some identification or else this thread will get pruned, ive got connections with the moderators i can get this shit tier thread deleted so fast you wouldnt even believe
>>
File: u havin a giggle m8.jpg (102KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
u havin a giggle m8.jpg
102KB, 250x249px
>>3863306
Please do, OP's a bigger fag than usual.
>>
>>3863287
>>3863292
>>3863295
reddit leave
>>
>>3863182
OOT is an incredible game, but ALTTP is the best in my opinion
>>
>>3863182
I gotta admit I replayed Link to the Past more often than Ocarina of Time but that has more to do with SNES games being shorter and easier to replay in general. OoT still feels immersive because of the dungeon design and the background music, it feels less like that because of the more limited OST in LttP. Combat feels really simple in LttP (same can be said about almost every 2D Zelda except Z2) while it actually does more stuff with the Z-targeting in OoT. Besides, OoT is presented more like an epic (no, not the meme kind but epic as in Homeros, older myths or fairy tales) while in LttP the story is more of a background plot. The only thing I prefer about LttP is the faster action (it's got a higher framerate after all) and getting into the action faster because of less cutscenes.

In conclusion, no you're far from the only one feeling like that. If anything, it seems to be the trend both here as at other places to prefer LttP over OoT. I think it's just nostalgia from a different perspective just like a lot of people seem to prefer OoT because that was their first Zelda.
>>
File: too bad.jpg (100KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
too bad.jpg
100KB, 1920x1080px
>>3863331
>>
>>3863210
>Kefka actually won, Sephiroth didn't

How is that an argument for anything.

"This happened in the games plot so it's better XD"

Maybe I prefer it when a villain doesn't win in a story. (I don't, but my point is saying a plot development is good isn't really a good argument for anything.)

Sephiroth actually begins a doomsday scenario and makes civilization become aware of its own end and how they deal with it. I think in some ways that's more interesting than what Kefka did.
>>
>>3863182
I personally think nothing aged well on the 64. I cant replay any of that shit. Not even goldeneye. I love lttp
>>
>>3863182
bitch please ALTTP is like everbody generic favorite Zelda.

same with FF; FF7 the favorite of all ? lol the favorite of all fucking normies, FF6 is the favorite
>>
>>3863686
Tactics, FF2 and FF5 are all better though.

Delita actually Wins and lives. FF2 Emperor takes over Heaven and Hell and i just like 5 a lot
>>
>>3863182
both games are boring tbqh

the only zelda games I've liked are minish cap and majoras mask.

Okami and Darksiders are also pretty good if you count them.
>>
>>3863206
I prefer ALTTP in small part because I like optional things to upgrade, and OOT doesn't do that much, besides things that ALTTP already does. Also it's what makes Zelda 1 my favorite (and exploration)
>>
>>3863768

I never said that FF6 is the best FF, but you didn't say that I said it either (?)

actually I agree,I prefer FF5 and FF2, but FF6 is pretty good anyway

My point was, we no longer live in 2006, we are in 2017; Now ALTTP is the favorite Zelda of all people generally speaking, and everybody prefer Majora's Mask to Ocarina.

yeah, If you look in pages, there are many pages that still thinks Ocarina of Time is "the best game of all time" but that's because they are pages of people who live trapped in 2006 and don't play video games really, so they don't count, it's like thinking that oscars means something.

so everybody prefers ALTTP over OoT at least you are a dude trapped in 2006 and still watch Anime in a not ironically way.
>>
>>3863825
6 is decent and i do like it.

I like most of the top down Zeldas over OOT, but thats because its how I was introduced to the series. For people who were introduced to the 3D Zeldas the 64 era ones for the most part are better than the newer ones like SS and TP.

Its when people try to explain that OOT made these world changing ideas of how 3D RPGs should be done that proves the cancer behind the crowd, when we all know games like Might and Magic, Ultima, TES, and Fallout series had open world exploration, quests and engaging stories long before OOT did it. It didnt revolutionize anything, yet its still highly regarded as the best thing ever.
>>
>>3863961

Ocarina of Time isn't a RPG, isn't a game about exploration either
>>
>>3864106
If you arent looking for all the items youre right theres no exploration. And youre also right its an adventure game with RPG elements. The fact still remains people who never played games outside of consoles at the time dont realize all those things have been done before.
>>
>>3864108
its an Adventure Action, not a "Adventure Action with RPG elements".

Which "RPG element" Ocarina had ?????

>The fact still remains people who never played games outside of consoles at the time dont realize all those things have been done before.

yes this is true.
>>
>>3864114
Upgrading health and stash sizes
Upgrading armor and weapons
Fetch quests

Its all there. It isnt RPG in a traditional sense, it just has some aspects of RPG in it. Any gaming magazine at its time of release has said this, and these nostalgic gamers of the past are the ones who hyped all these elements of exploration and out of order "dungeon crawls" as the game who perfected it... when its not true.
>>
>>3863182
No, ALttP is a better game overall.
>>
>>3864108
>The fact still remains people who never played games outside of consoles at the time dont realize all those things have been done before.

"WAHH! Why didn't they know about and played the same games I did! It's not fair! I'm too intelligent and refined for this world filled with degenerate apes who don't know about my exquisite taste in older video games!"

Seriously, what the hell are you expecting from other people? Also, how does Ocarina of Time being popular make it inherently bad? Can you actually give some argument for that or did you just want to act like a cool contrarian?
>>
>>3864124
>Upgrading health and stasH sizes
>Upgrading armor and weapons

Nobody thinks that Super Metroid is a "Metroidvania" with RPG elements; Is just a "Metroidvania", these aren't RPG elements, you Upgrade your weapons and armors in Shotters too.

>Fetch quests
dude you know there are RPGs without Fetch Quests Right ???? Nobody thinks that GTA is a "Sandbox with RPG elements" or something like that because had fetch quests and you can upgrade things.

Ocarina is a Adventure Action the end; Adventure Actions and RPGs are part of the "Adventure Games", there are the Graphic Adventures aslo, they all are "brothers", but no the same Genre.
>>
File: Zelda Ice Stairs.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda Ice Stairs.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>3863232
It's not that bad. If you're bitching about ice floors, git slightly more better than extremely fucking bad.
>>
>>3863242
>the 3DS has a quarter great games as the DS.
So the 3DS doesn't even have one great game? Fuck.
>>
>>3864124

with your logic Mega Man X is a "Platform with RPG elements"
>>
>>3863182
The only Zeldas I liked were the original, LttP, and Link's Awakening. OoT was trash IMO but I didn't play it until around 2010. I'm sure back in 1998 it was amazing, but I missed the boat on it.
>>
File: qKNNQCM.jpg (119KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
qKNNQCM.jpg
119KB, 528x960px
>Am I the only one

Fuck outta here
>>
File: ree.gif (2MB, 514x205px) Image search: [Google]
ree.gif
2MB, 514x205px
>>3863186
>>
>>3863182
No, you're not. I couldn't even bring myself to buy a 64. Not that the games were bad, it was just at that time where everyone felt like their hardware HAD to do "advanced 3D polygons xD" just because the tech had reached a point where it technically COULD do rudimentary 3D.

It looked like shit. And having grown up with the pixel games of yore didn't make help me warm up to it any better. All that said, OOT is a masterpiece. I'm not saying it isn't. I'm just saying that, to this day, I still can't look at it without throwing up in my mouth a little.
>>
>>3864339
Dude have you played wave race?
Mario 64?
>N64 looks like shit
>>
>>3864346
I'd imagine at this point there's only a handful of titles on the 64 I haven't played. Again, fun games, they just look like shit. Just my opinion.
>>
I prefer ALttP, but OoT is obviously one of the best games from its time period. That said, it's not even my favorite game on the N64.
>>
>>3863182
Nope. I even had that opinion when OoT came out. Infact I never even made it to Adult Link as OoT was just boring for me. Everything was just too lifeless, and dungeons didnt have any challenge to them.

I did love windwaker though.
>>
Very hard decision both games are very good. Alttp leaves more room for imagination as most 2D titles do over 3D, while OOT has the better atmosphere e.g. the first time you enter the deku tree and the camera slowly goes down as the music kicks in so you know there happened something bad.
Both games have a 10/10 soundtrack.
Equally good at dungeons, items and bosses imo, while i prefer some Alttp bosses over OOT.
I think the quality of both games is impressive, especially on OOT as first 3D Zelda.
OOT has so many stuff to say without saying it all those people disappearing(dying) and being sages, the credits where mido and rutos father are depressed bc they lost their loved ones.
I think on story is OOT way deeper, FF6 is a good example for what alttp couldve done better. In alttp its really just save the princess.
>>
I love ALttP but OoT is objectively better than it in every way.

Dungeon Count - OoT (12 vs 10)
Nonlinearity - OoT
Difficulty spectrum - OoT

There's no reason to prefer ALttP other than personal taste for the aesthetics/sound or story.
>>
>>3863182
The story is not at all the same.
>>
>>3864541
>Nonlinearity - OoT
Both ALttP and OoT are generally linear. You can skip around on dungeon order in both of the games.

>Difficulty spectrum - OoT
Are you kidding? Both are fairly easy games, but ALttP has more difficult segments and enemies can kill you faster.

>Dungeon Count - OoT (12 vs 10)
ALttP has 12 dungeons.
>Sewers
>East Palace
>Desert Palace
>Tower of Hera
>Palace of Darkness
>Swamp Palace
>Skull Woods
>Thieves' Town
>Ice Palace
>Misery Mire
>Turtle Rock
>Ganon's Tower (not the Pyramid, don't even try)
>>
>>3863219
Links awakening is my favorite, not my first zelda. Actually i played it after Oot and alttp.
>>
File: IMG_0101.jpg (2MB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0101.jpg
2MB, 2448x1836px
I never owned an N64 growing up, so I never got the opportunity to really play OoT. A little while ago, I decided that with all the BotW hype, I should finally play it.

I'm passed the forest temple now, and to be brutally honest, I'm finding myself pretty disappointed by the game. For every cool and interesting thing it does, it also pulls something tedious or frustrating.

I respect the hell out of the game, and I can only imagine how mind blowing it must've been for console kids back in the day, but it just isn't resonating with me at all. I might just lack the 3D Zelda gene too, because the other titles in the series I've tried have also left me similarly underwhelmed.

I've played LTTP a number of times over the years and consider it a fantastic game.
>>
>>3864631
OoT lets you do more with fewer items than ALttP does. Call it the benefit of 3D, but it's more nonlinear.

OoT is better because depending on how you play the game it becomes harder, while ALttP peaks at a minimum-heart run. No Goron Tunic to skip, infiltrating Gerudo's Fortress without a Hookshot, battling Dark Link with three hearts to make his HP as low as possible.

Sewers isn't a dungeon. Or should I count Gerudo's Fortress and the child-exclusive half of the Spirit Temple as dungeons just because there's keys?
>>
>>3864761
>OoT lets you do more with fewer items than ALttP does
No, it doesn't. In fact, OoT has less items and that's bad. It even has completely useless items like the ice arrow.
>OoT is better because depending on how you play the game it becomes harder
It's never harder.
>Sewers isn't a dungeon.
It is. It even respawns you like a dungeon.
>>
>>3864652
Oh, I didn't mean that ALTTP is everyone's favorite Zelda ever, just that I don' know anyone who'd prefer OOT without being biased by it being their first game. I've been playing Zelda games since the NES and would put Link's Awakening on the same level as ALTTP, they're both very fun games to revisit regularly.
>>
>>3863182
Since I wasn't able to get OoT because thirld world town in third world cunt tree, my first Zelda game was the minish cap and to me it's the best.
>>
>>3863182
I've always felt like top-down Zelda is the only true Zelda, and enjoy them more than most of the 3D games. But you're wrong, OOT > LTTP
>>
>>3863257
I disagree with this. I beat the first Zelda when it was re-released on gba blind. Hell, I beat Zelda 2 on gba this year blind with no savestates. These games are not that hard to figure out.
>>
>>3863182
It's just personal opinion. My favorite Zeldas are Zelda 2, Link to the Past and (recently) Breath of the Wild. They're all pretty different from each other but they're all really fun for me.

Just like ocarina, majora, etc. are more fun for other people. It's just personal preference; discounting the CD-I stuff there really isn't a "bad" Zelda game, just that some of them appeal to certain types of people over others.
>>
>>3864792
>third world country

Brazil?
>>
>>3864823
Not that poster, but ironically, the N64 at launch wasn't that expensive here in Brazil. Wasn't cheap, but all things considered, it could have been way worse.
>>
>>3864823
Croatia, which was at the time going through a recession following the war and shit was expensive. Still can't figure out how I had an Apple 3, SNES (while everyone else had chinese gojirion in one knockoffs), N64, GBA, PS1,2 and P as a kid cause my parents are poor.
>>
>>3864868
Whoops, it wasn't an Apple 3, it was a Macintosh
>>
>>3863257
It certainly is until you hit a wall.
At that point it can be more frustrating than fun. I got through the first 5 dungeons easily before using a guide.
>>
>>3863182
I prefer OoT and thought LttP wasn't anything outstanding. But I can see someone liking it a lot, and by no means consider it a bad game.

It's probably not nostalgia as much as you just liking one of them more. That's fine, honestly each Zelda game is pretty different so getting into arguments about which ones are better when they're all mostly just different is pointless.

This is why arguing about which Zelda is best is always awful. Shame it so often derails threads just about a single game in the series.
>>
>>3863445
>Sephiroth actually begins a doomsday scenario and makes civilization become aware of its own end and how they deal with it. I think in some ways that's more interesting than what Kefka did.

Somehow the connection between this and all the environmentalism of ff7 never clicked with me before.

Sephiroth was a creation of shinra, even. The company that's draining the planet's life.

The main villain of the story is actually a stand in for humans destroying the planet, for the tipping point that makes it clear to human civilization as a whole that our time is up.

I can't tell if that's good writing in tying the villain in with one of the major themes, or just cornball as fuck.
>>
>>3863270
if you have to ask you are already lost
>>
>>3863206
Well preferring ALTTP while calling OOT dated is stupid. So you should probably come up with a more tangible argument if thats what youre planning on doing. Which you dont have to do because a lot of people have your opinion and it doesn't need to be validated on a purple kids forum every day forever
>>
>>3864782
You're objectively wrong, but whatever helps you sleep at night OP. Also, I guess OoT has 14 dungeons then.
>>
>>3863182
>Am I the only one
Nah, LTTP is the better game.
>>
>comparing 2d Zelda to 3d
>>
>>3863251
OoT really ramps up near the end.
Shadow Temple>Spirit Temple>Ganon's Tower are my favorite parts of the game, I'd recommend finishing it.
>>
>>3866461
>being a retard that actually thinks that you can't compare two different things
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.