[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question... Why did psx greatest hits games have colorless cds,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 20170315_162327.jpg (3MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170315_162327.jpg
3MB, 2160x2160px
Question...
Why did psx greatest hits games have colorless cds, but their normal counterparts were colored?

It's a small gripe I know but it does chew at me a bit...
>>
Quite simply to identify them as a greatest hits inside the packaging as well as outside.
>>
Save money on printing
Greatest hits only cost 20$ compared to 50$ for new releases
>>
>>3862007
>>3862015
Shouldve looked around before I asked,
makes sense though.
>>
File: pandemonium_platinum_01.jpg (421KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pandemonium_platinum_01.jpg
421KB, 800x600px
Well at least you had B&W prints on the discs, as opposed to this...
>>
>>3862023
Was that every Pal region?
>>
It's odd, I never realized that only the greatest hits did this.

Always just thought they were just trying to save a couple pennies though
>>
>>3862068
The only reason I looked at it was because I originally thought i had a fraud of; but then noticed all of my greatest hits games were black and white.

At least now I know to buy non greatest hits games.
>>
>>3862074
Might wanna reconsider that. Greatest Hits versions tend to have bug fixes. I understand that Gran Turismo 2, for example, has a save-destroying glitch in the black label version that the GH version fixes.
>>
>>3862131
This anon has a good point. Maybe check out each game separately
>>
I'm glad they did it though
>reseller scum that tries to sell a CIB multidisc game but it's a mix of discs from random copies
>>
stops people putting the greatest hits discs in original packaging and selling it on eBay as though it were an original
>>
>>3862131
But greatest hit cases are garbage...so is GT 2 so haha
>>
>>3862538
As that anon pointed out, Greatest Hits versions are in fact superior. Only your autism gets bothered by the green labels.
>>
I don't believe this was the case for every game released under the Greatest Hits label. But yeah, I would think it was done to save on manufacturing costs.

Japan had a couple of reprints similar to GH. These were called "The Best" and "PSOne Books" respectively. "The Best" printings in some cases had grayscale detail on the discs, but the jewel CD case and manual weren't skimpy quality. I'd say they were even better quality than black label releases in the U.S.

"PSOne Books" was quite different. I believe these ranged from slimline cases to cardboard sleeves. I don't own any PSOne Books releases, so I can't say for sure.

Greatest Hits, The Best and PSOne Books all sometimes used revised game data, mostly to fix bugs or known in-game exploits. Some PS1 games had truly game-breaking bugs, like a bug in Tomb Raider III that somehow made it impossible for the player to advance past the first level block. The same levels would simply loop over and over. Japan's release likely fixed that. (Curiously, it was also a two-disc release - a Japanese-language version, and the original English version both in one package)
>>
File: cc squaresoft hits.jpg (75KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
cc squaresoft hits.jpg
75KB, 800x800px
>>3862023
not always.

>>3862131
and if those games are anon's, he unfortunately has the worse version of spyro 3.

they're usually the same, though. it's more that if there are differences, they tend to be bugfixes (or added censorship).
>>
>>3862685
Chrono Cross had added censorship? Do tell.
>>
>>3863170
pic was for the other reply, silly.
>>
>>3862001

Because it is platinum and cheaper to produce
>>
>>3862001
probably to save money
>>
>>3862001
I actually liked it because I know some games had bug fixes in the Greatest Hits re-release. This way I could pluck the disc out of my CD folder and play.
>>
>>3862685
I realize that it's just cosmetic, but I am thoroughly triggered by the misaligned logo and text on an official copy of the game. AND it's even a reprint!

You can see quite clearly that it runs over the line on the original edition of the game. Why did they think this looked acceptable?
>>
>>3864364
>Why did they think this looked acceptable?
"the world is quare"
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.