[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone want to play some quakeworld with me? We can set

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

File: 20170212125513!Quake1cover[2].jpg (137KB, 288x334px) Image search: [Google]
20170212125513!Quake1cover[2].jpg
137KB, 288x334px
Does anyone want to play some quakeworld with me? We can set up a /vr/ server and play ffa at a predetermined time and IP.

Also what are your favorite multiplayer maps

>aerowalk
>dm6
>qwdm1
>ultrav
>spinev2
>the one with the snow with RLs at every teleporter
>>
>>3860978
Sorry, NetQuake 1.06 or less only.

>LURK
>EdTest1
>Teke-X Quake! (How could this not be on your list?)
>Death on the Docks
>DM4: The Bad Place
>>
You havev a higher chance of getting a game going on /v/ rather than /vr.
>>
>>3860978
>dm6

oh man, we played that so damn much back in highschool.

Also, that lava pool stage that was the first episode bossfight.
>>
>>3861493
This. Especially since he likes non-retro maps like aerowalk.
>>
>>3861549
aerowalk is a good map
it's more that /vr/'s fps community is shit
>>
>>3861557
>Doom and Unreal

Take that back.
>>
>tfw no good quakeworld client
at least tyrquake is a bit close
>>
It's sort of like... going on a general chat forum trying to pick up a date. There are specialized sites and places for this type of thing. Everyone want to play is better off congregating at known places.
>>
>>3861946
nquake gets the job done
most fags play the game with textures being a burry mess and enemies bright red anyways.
>>
Dm1 was always my favorite map
>>
>>3861975
>and enemies bright red
God this shits me. So cowardly, not to mention fuck ugly.
>>
>>3861975
I don't even get the "textures have to be solid colors" meme
>>
>>3861557
Aerowalk is decent... but not retro. It was made 2 years after Quake's release and so isn't really part of the same game for hardcore traditionalists :P
>>
>>3861975
nquake is just ezquake packaged with a bunch of fancy customization.
>>
>>3863175
anyone still playing quake doesn't give two shits whether or not a map was made before or after the 1999 cutoff
>>
>>3863550
I do. I am a Quake traditionalist and refuse to touch anything not made in 1996. Nobody talks about anything relevant to me :\
>>
>>3860978
Is it anywhere near as good as doom?
>>
Best way to play NetQuake right now = Mark V: http://quakeone.com/markv/

I'm way more familiar with recent SP maps/packs than MP, but the original DM maps can more than suffice.

>>3863761
I think so, but it's a different game by and large. Expect more agile combat (vs. less foes), platforming/added verticality, a lopsided bestiary and weapons set, and less of a central theme between episodes. The custom content scene's much smaller than DOOM's but with a higher quality ratio because of the barrier to entry.
>>
>>3863761
There's plenty of games as good or better than Doom.
>>
>>3861946
>no good quakeworld client
>ezquake exists
>>
>>3863761
Better for what he's asking about. Doom's multiplayer isn't balanced or very good. Depending on which doom you also lose out a lot of vertical play and actual aim. Doom is better for SP. Multiplayer FFA/TDM is where Quake shines. Quake's SP is okay.
>>
>>3863816
Quake 1 MP isn't balanced either. It's still much better than Doom though.
>>
>>3863761
The level designs are way more fast-paced and the enemies are more agile and have varied attack patterns. Despite the troubled development of the game, the quality of levels is much more consistent than Doom, let alone Doom II. The weapons are more balanced and you'll want to switch weapons a lot, and this is encouraged by the instantaneous weapon switch time. I never had to rebind weapons to letter keys close to WASD in Doom, but it makes a huge difference in Quake.
>>
>>3863804
its bloated shit
>>
>>3863565
Are you an underage trying to make a funny? The point was that 1999 is the cutoff point for this board, not that there are people who refuse to touch anything not made in 1996 or anything.
>>
File: 16_12[1].jpg (118KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
16_12[1].jpg
118KB, 1024x768px
tbqh I prefer third party games on quake engine over quake itself

am i broken
>>
>>3862323
The modern Quake player has no honour, so ther force their opponents to essentially glow in the dark on their screen so they can spot them easier. It's truly pathetic. That would be considered cheating in the 90's but it is now the norm.
>>
>>3863856
>bloated
>>
>>3863826
Q1 is balanced. For usage. It's not designed for every weapon to be straight up equal to one another. It's designed that so that each weapon has an effective usage in certain situations where they have superiority. For example if PlayerA is rocking the main rocket launcher at distance and PlayerB has a shotgun and PlayerA tries to keep that distance popping rockets off, they're going to get fucked up hard by the shotgun. Distance is where the shotgun shines more than every other weapon.
>>
>>3865117
It's not balanced at all when 2-3 weapons dominate the game. If you seriously think a shotgun can contend with a rocket or LG you're delusional.
>>
>>3865316
And it's obvious they only really started thinking of weapon balance in Quake 2 by nerfing things like rockets and grenades.
>>
Fuck yes I do

If you can explain how I can easily set up a QW server on Linux, I will get you a fast one set up on my pretty-fast home broadband.
>>
>>3863906
Everyone loves JK2/3, nothing to be sad about
>>
>>3863879
Actually I am not trying to make a funny, nor am I underage. I am just commenting on the total lack of commentary about anything 1996 related. It is like Doom, everyone on the Doom post focuses on just 2017 PWADs. I want to talk about STONES.WAD and that type of stuff, something that I actually understand and don't feel completely out of the loop about. I'm just a lonely player stuck in the past that feels even others stuck in the past aren't stuck in the way I am.
>>
>>3864805
Thank you. That glow in the dark garbage is such nonsense. I swear the modern Quake player just runs Aerowalk and DM6 over and over as well. Quake is the most modded game of all time, but you wouldn't know it due to the fact the community only cares about a couple maps and the rest are practically dead.
>>
>>3865350
2002? Isn't that a bit recent?
>>
>>3865318
the grenades in quake 2 are so fucking awful what the hell were they thinking

the fun physics are COMPLETELY gone
>>
>>3865690
The actual hand grenades you can time are pretty good. The fun physics in Q2 come from double jumping and slope jumping.
>>
>>3865721
but they're just not as bouncy

getting cool shots is MUCH harder
>>
>>3865726
He's suggesting you don't bounce them. He's saying time the toss with the fuse so they explode in the enemies face.
>>
>>3865509
Quake has largely been like that since 2000. That's nothing new. Most of the maps are generally pretty crap. Quake is harder to make decent maps for due to the fact that it's a tactically balanced game. You can't just throw weapons around a nonsense room and say one of each.

The least balanced weapon is the RL and every map should have at least two if there's not a severe control penalty for sitting on it. Because the RL isn't just a powerful up close weapon it also enhances movement by a significant degree and allows you to control the map. The closest weapon to that is grenade launcher which is less effective at it. A lot of DM maps are smaller that didn't really consider how Quake would end up playing later on. That's why DM6 and Aerowalk are popular because they give players room to breath and have a match as well as have decent options for maneuverability and item placement.

> If you seriously think a shotgun can contend with a rocket or LG you're delusional.
If you think it can't you've never played the game at a high enough level. It's a game of positions and maneuvering. You're supposed to pick and choose your firefights and control the map. The shotgun has no equal at longer ranges and you'd be stupid to use any other gun. Of course I've played against people with your mindset who wanted to fling rockets around and all they managed to do was drop a pack with a rocket launcher for their troubles because they were too stupid to realize that shotgun owns that range and if you're kept at that range you should have switched to it already.

The only time rockets at range are of any reliable use is to cess a choke point for a pickup.
>>
No offense but Quakeworld makes Quake 2 look balanced.
>>
>>3866184
I've never seen anyone say that the shotgun outclasses the RL in any capacity. I mean I've seen some players use shotgun scripts to avoid dropping the RL or very rarely use it to finish someone off at range but with the amount of high prediction that is inherent in the tiny maps of Quakeworld RL is going to be your goto weapon 80% of the time, LG 10%, GL 8%, and shotgun 2% because you're holding it out so you don't drop rockets.

I mean granted, it's not the nailgun, which is truly a useless weapon.

Also Aerowalk is a pretty rapey map, there's a tons of points in that map where you can fire on where an opponent is going to be at anny point.
>>
>>3866221
Not him, but the shotgun can outclass the RL at range. You can quickly fire off 5 to 6 shots whilst dodging rockets easily and take down the other player
>>
>>3864805
Soon enough they will legitimize dynamic lights coming from the player because that is a feature present in the original engine.
>>
Quakeworld MP isn't really fun without at least 4 people.

I'm sorry but it's pretty clear the maps were made for 4 - 8 player chaos, not 1-v-1 duels.
>>
>>3866250
>What is DM4
>>
i can barely get positive K/Ds in quake live...

how am I supposed to play quakeworld
>>
>>3866221
>which is truly a useless weapon.
It's not entirely useless but generally less worthwhile for burst damage compared to the SNG. It's good for spamming groups but it's a solid Quad Damage weapon due to it's rate of fire and doing 36 damage per nail with it. It won't kill you and it's more ammo efficient than the SNG which will chew through ammo in 10 seconds. The NG is generally the least the effective weapon though. At medium range there's no reason to use it over the LG. At distance generally you want to use the SNG. It's sort of a sidegrade to the SNG depending on ammo efficiency on the map and how well you can aim. The NG and SNG are decent for spam underwater against evasive enemies. Using an LG would get you killed. The NG and SNG do more DPS than the shotgun - NG can theoretically pull 90 DPS and SNG twice that. If an enemy is good then rockets are less viable unless they're near a surface - albeit water movement is slower than ground movement though it's more multidimensional - rockets effective range for direct shots is a little further, walls become death traps but in the middle of water at medium range rockets and grenades can basically be useless. In this situation It's down to SG and SNG to do the most damage where they travel faster than rockets, harder to dodge due to visibility and pure amount and coverage you can get. The shotgun is also potentially a better choice depending on your ability to aim. If you can't predict and use NG's well the shotgun is hitscan and dead on. Not as much DPS but more reliable in that way.

Clearly a map without water takes away the biggest tactical position for the NG. The NG is less effective at long tunnel spamming as SNG but it can often act as a substitute for RL/GL spam - it's not as threatening as RL/GL so it can slow a player down by making them assess whether they want to risk taking some extra shots for position - That is the NG's less threat can play to your advantage by weakening your enemy.
>>
>>3866295
> That is the NG's less threat can play to your advantage by weakening your enemy.
Also not just by hitting them but by not spamming with RL/LG excessive you can fake an opponent into thinking you only have a weaker enemy and are 'scared' of their positional aggression - which you can use to get them into a better position for a clear RL hit. Whereas if you spammed RL/LG they might feel that's too much of a risk and alter course.

Shotgun can be used similarly but less good for the constant spammy nature, less visibility for territory marking on walls and NG has a habit of dropping peoples guard more than shotgun spam due to it's projectile nature. SNG doubles down on that threat - bad players will underestimated it and good players will know it can hurt them more than they want to risk.
>>
>>3866250
Not really. Most of the maps can barely even handle 1v1 without getting resource depleted. 8 players is more than basically all maps can handle 4 is pushing some maps. That's why 4v4 TDM matches there's basically always 2-3 players on each team holding position tightly and waiting for pickups as they do rotations and why they choose lead positions for weapon pickups for aggro. Because it thins resources too greatly to support a single player well for extended firefights and roaming.
>>
>>3860978
P-pls no bully. I'm just posting this here since my question is related and making my own thread might be a waste of space.

Does anyone know where I can get Quake 2 with the soundtrack? Sounds like Steam doesn't have it
>>
>>3866507
Pretty sure GOG version has the soundtrack. I had to rename the music files when playing with Yamagi Quake though.
>>
>>3866507
http://pastebin.com/XjBHDRFw
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.