[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Final Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

I want to play the original three but im not sure which platform to do it on
>>
>>3858273
FFI and II are best on either PS1 or PSP. 3 is best on NES translated
>>
>>3858273

FFI is PSX, NES or Wonderswan only
FFII is PSP or GBA
FFIII is debated but probably DS/ports of DS
>>
your first time through FFII should be GBA/PSP because of the item descriptions and those dudes in the first room who explain how the levelling system works
>>
>>3858273

Origins is fine, aside from having a weird translation. But none of the official localizations for these games are even half-way decent.

The GBA and PSP versions are more or less identical, just with different graphics quality. Both are dumbed down by making battles easier and allowing you to save anywhere. And for some reason, the random encounter rates get ramped up in FF1. I really wouldn't bother with these versions. I played through both and found them sorely disappointing.

The NES / Famicom versions are extremely bugged, but still beatable. The Origins versions are much closer to the original games, but with a lot of these bugs fixed.
>>
>>3858273
FF1 > PSX
FF2 > PSP
FF3 > PSP
>>
Famicom.
>>
Don't play 1-3 - they're terrible even by JRPG standards
>>
>>3859516
Nobody asked this question.
>>
>>3858273
Nes
>>
>>3858273
hey OP, not sure if you're even here but
FFI-III was really enjoyable on the phone, if it's not your fancy you could grab I-II on PSP where all the glitches are gone but also have good sound and half decent graphics.
for III, i'd suggest any of the DS ports, but not the DS version. some of the miniquests require you to use the DS internet which has long been since taken down, and the ports clean up the graphics and make them smoother.
>>
No GBA or PSP versions because they alter some mechanics from the original games, like a MP pool in Final Fantasy I when magic charges were handled differently along with removing stat up's and down's in Final Fantasy II.
>>
>>3858273
Go with the Famicom. They're rough around the edges but that's a large part of the charm, and Square made excellent use of that hardware. The remakes are technically better but you can only really appreciate them, and how far the series has come, after playing the original versions.
>>
>>3858273
Gameboy, nes....emulators
>>
>I want to play the original games
>which remake should I play

Just play the actual originals you fucking autistic retard
>>
>>3858273
Original versions. The remakes are wussified versions (or in 3's case it's just a different game altogether) and ruin the art direction and style of the games.
>>
>>3860970
How are the WSC versions wussified?
>>
Ps1 for 1/2 is cheap but has load times. Gba is faster but pricier. Ds for 3 is only western release, chibi graphics look like shit.
>>
>>3860969
Superior versions are the best versions, you fucking retard.
>>
>>3860970
Nah, 3 is the same game, it just added some background for the 4 protagonists (it has more events at the beginning, but it's almost the same later on), other than that, a few things were added, like some jobs have new commands and functions but that's it.
>>
FFI - PSP
FFII - PSP
FFIII - PSP
FFIV - PSP
>>
>>3861083
>Nah, 3 is the same game,
How on earth can you say this? The NES version had you going up against 12 monsters at a time, the remake had 3 monsters at most with drastically rebalanced stats. Since an RPG's gameplay is all in the stats it inarguably doesn't play anything like the original.
>>
>>3860969
In both original FF1 and FF2 half of the items, spells and mechanics don't work as intended.

PS1 versions are identical mechanically except they fix all the glitches and are easier on the eyes.

PSP versions are easier due to being mechanically reworked (reworked MP system, higher level cap, actual useful consumable items) but they also have actual postgame content. GBA is identical to PSP but lacks some of the postgame content.

So it's really a toss-up between PS1/PSP.
If you really want the NES aesthetic I'm pretty sure there's a romhack that fixes all the glitches of FF1.
>>
>>3861083

>3 is the same game

If i have ever been triggered by anything said on 4chan, this would be it.
>>
>>3861098
this
>>
File: 123671235726.png (1MB, 927x616px) Image search: [Google]
123671235726.png
1MB, 927x616px
>>3861098
Honestly, the only time the newest version of a Final Fantasy game isn't the best one is the godawful PC and mobile ports.

Don't click the spoiler if you can't stomach gore.
>>
>>3858273
1&2 are fine on PSP (Since the others lack bosses like Omega and Shinryu if i remember well).

Play 3 on Nes. The 3 remakes added shit like characters with personality instead of the base 4 nobodies group and you cant name them because of the VA bullshit.
>>
>>3858273
>everyone suggesting PS1
God damn /vr/ you've failed me.

Play FF1 on NES. The way god intended.

The PS1 version is OK, but it lacks the charm of the original.

2 and 3 are a different story sicne they were never localized, so you gotta put up with a shit fan translation if you wanna play the NES version.
>>
1 & 2 - PSP
3 - fan translated famicom version

This is not even a question of taste or personal preference. The remake of 3 is pure shit. The PS1 versions of 1 & 2 have horrible menu loading times, the GBA versions awful sound and the NES versions are terribly outdated.
>>
>>3862993
And the Wonderswan is overlooked by everyone.
>>
>>3862993
PS1 versions of 1 & 2 are the best looking versions with the original difficulty and magic system. GBA and PSP are dumbed down quite a bit, even if they look nicer.

I never found the menus in 1 especially laggy either
>>
>>3862882
>The way god intended.
SPELLS AND STATS THAT DO LITERALLY NOTHING ARE WHAT THE DEVELOPERS INTENDED GUYS!
>>
1 and 2 on the GBA and 3 on a emulator with a English patch,
>>
>>3863546
>3 on a emulator with a English patch,
Look at the パンピ and laugh.
>>
>>3862865
What.

3 on DS doesn't have VA. You can rename characters as soon as you meet them.
>>
play whatever the FUCK you wanna play.
>>
>>3858273
I-III: PSP versions
IV: 3D versions
V-VI: GBA versions + color and sound patches
VII & VIII: PSX, or the original PC releases if you want mods from Qhimm
IX: PSX or the Steam release if there's no DRM idiocy. I know the Steam release makes improvements but I don't know if there's any DRM issues
X and upwards: HD remasters

Anyone who says otherwise can't cite any reasons outside of "charm" or some autistic need to play it as "intended" that's mostly based in nostalgia.

Also, if anyone brings up 2D IV's difficulty changes: all versions are piss easy. The only difference is that you have to grind more vs grinding less before the fight with Scarmiglione and in the final dungeon. There's no strategy involved in 2D IV outside of buffs and debuffs which you should be using anyway if you're not a JRPG scrub.

The only time IV is challenging and actually fun to play is in its 3D remakes which makes a point of giving depth to the objectively most shallow gameplay in any mainstream FF because every FF outside of IV has some sort of gameplay gimmick.
>>
I've played both FFIII NES (famicom) and DS.
They're very different games.
I think the NES version is better (more enemies, harder difficulty, no mandatory Wi-Fi extras, nice pixel art vs low poly 3d).
>>
In general the PSP versions are always pretty high quality. when in doubt just play the original if possible.
>>
>>3861083
>3 is the same game
"no"
>>
>>3865424
Man i loved FF 3 and it was the first Nes RPG i played and i played it after i finished FF 7-8-9, i remember grinding till level 99 and naming all my characters as the FF 7-8-9-10 protags.

Gonna give FF3 DS a chance to see if it holds up to at least some nostalgia.
>>
>>3862740
I played this all the way through.... this game was a mistake.
>>
>>3863671
Ah seems like i was wrong, still i prefer that the original game characters were just a bunch of nobodies like the original FF.
>>
>>3859120
>>3859503
>>3860114
>>3861098
>>3865369
>DS
>PSP
Have fun with your charmless soundtrack and pre-defined party members that you can't name after rappers
>>
>>3866131
>charmless
Everytime.
>>
>>3866131
The PSP versions of FFI-II are the definitive iterations and this is a fact.
>>
>>3866212
>PSP version of FFI
>definitive
>Not PS1 or Wonderswan
>>
>>3866235
>not MSX
>>
What makes psp better than ps1? I always hear these two compared, PSP was fine when I played it but the artwork from screenshots looks like shit compared to the ps1. But loading times are an issue from what I hear, but emulation would resolve that.
>>
>>3866241
Do you enjoy eating shit?
>>
>>3866368
PS1 is good for 1 because it mostly keeps the original difficulty whereas PSP version keeps the GBA difficulty which makes the game more of a press A to win than it already was.

For 2 it's w/e.
>>
>>3866368
FF 1 PS1 uses the original system were you magic is more like an stock that determine how much many times you can cast spells and PSP seems to use an mp system instead.

Makes the PS1 version harder.
>>
>>3866492
IIRC, you level up faster and things cost less in the PSP version, too.
>>
>>3862993
Aren't there music fix patches for the gba games?
>>
>>3866564
You do level faster but i think they spread the exp out so 1-60 is about the same as 1-99.
>>
>>3863540
>board dedicated to retro games
>durrr play the least retro ones
>>
>>3866212
I'll give you that, I just wish it kept the screen transitions of I.
>>
>>3866646
You're on a completely different point.
>>
best experience for FFI is on original NES hardware w/ crt television. and a pizza.

but if youre not going to do that, you should probably just buy a PSP and get all the I-IV remakes on there and dont sweat the other versions. II-IV arent even good enough games anyway to have a serious discussion about versions and there are too many versions of I and IV and the PSP versions are all good enough.

as for V & VI, they are a toss up between the GBA or PSX versions. i slightly prefer GBA for V for extra job classes and PSX for VI for better sound, so is whatev. the original SNES version of VI is really great too but it has a title screen that says "Final Fantasy III" instead of VI which has hurt my autism ever since FFVII came out.
>>
>>3866952
>II-IV arent even good enough games anyway to have a serious discussion about versions

I'll take both II and IV over V and I any day tbqh
>>
FF1 is best on PS1.
FF2 is best on GBA or later (your stats decrease if you don't continually grind them in Famicom and PS1)
FF3 play a translated Famicom rom, it holds up just fine.
>>
FF3 = translated famicom version + http://silentenigma.site88.net/ff3/ff3.html
>>
>>3859516
Totally disagree. If you don't like JRPGs, why are you even posting in this thread?
>>
File: NPUH10125_00000.jpg (313KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
NPUH10125_00000.jpg
313KB, 1366x768px
FF3 is also available on the PSP.

Did you know that?
>>
>>3868046
Nes or bust.

Take your characterization out of my classics FFs.
>>
>>3868073
more like
>""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""characterization""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>3862740
Is that three different clashing artstyles or four? I can't keep watching long enough to get an accurate count.
>>
File: Guardian-FFVI-iOS.png (2MB, 1809x1207px) Image search: [Google]
Guardian-FFVI-iOS.png
2MB, 1809x1207px
>>3869006
That's three but there are about five different ones used in-game.

There's 3D models and textures on the world map while towns and dungeons have a mix of the original tilesets upscaled and filtered along with some redone from scratch.

The sprites are over-filtered messes (that still look bad but not as quite with the filter removed)

The portraits are new and super high-res and are the only good thing to come out of the """remake""" but every major character only has one portrait that they use in every dialogue box which leads to some emotional dissonance.

What adds insult to injury is that even the PC version uses the mobile interface so the menus are big and overpadded to be "touch friendly" and the battle interface is just ugly to look at.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.