[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tekken 3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 38

File: tekken3.jpg (150KB, 963x960px) Image search: [Google]
tekken3.jpg
150KB, 963x960px
Regardless of popular opinion, I will say tekken 3 is the best fighting game of all time. Sure you have the classics like asuka 120% burning festival, mugen, street fighter 2 turbo and mortal kombat but you want to know what sets tekken 3 apart? The grace of it. Yes, the grace that allows the combos to take time, the unspammable nature of the game is built into its core. The grace that accompanies side stepping and counter attacks most other fighting games lack (i will say mortal kombat deadly alliance comes close). But apart from that the realistic nature of the fighting. No spammable projectiles, million mile juggling unbreakable combos and so forth. Plus the characters are enjoyable to play and in most cases don't feel like you lose at fighter select.

Yes, Tekken 3: the best.
>>
I don't really think you know very much about fighting games
>>
I liked it too.
>>
Tekken 3 is the best but you should probably delete your shit thread.
>>
If they re-made Tekken 3 and added Steve, I'd agree.
But, until then, Tekken 4 is GOAT.
>>
Well, if you compare it to such "GOAT" games as Asuka 120, MK and SF2T, of course it does feel amazing. Tekken 3 is by far not the best fighter ever, if even for a sole reason that Tekken got better with time.
It still had a long way to go. Sidestepping was not there yet, it was alright but felt stiff and needed work (which they did with 5).
The balance of the game feels pretty shabby nowadays. When Jin has Laser Scraper, a 3-hit mid punch with a launcher, that deals like 70 damage or so, and also White Heron, a juggler that catches opponents from nearly off the ground, you know something is a bit wrong with the game. He's not Kazuya with his Wind Godfist, but he's still pretty damn OP. Same goes for Heihachi and Law. And that's just the top of the iceberg, I could go on for a long time.
The 10-hit combos are ridiculous, too, underlining that the game still had ways to simply deal more damage if you memorize one combo. Remembering which strings hit low and when is also pretty important and annoying.
It was still a big step forward over 2, with parries becoming universal and many other needed refinements. But still nowhere near perfect.
>>
>>3857865
Looks cool
>>
>>3857865
I liked Tekken 3, I was very good at it, but... delet this.

1) Tekken 3 is much less "realistic" and "unspammable" than any Virtua Fighter.

2) SF2 fireballs are not "spam" btw.

3) Tekken 3's graphics are ugly by today's standards, unlike 2D fighting games.
>>
>>3859102
>Tekken 3's graphics are ugly by today's standards, unlike 2D fighting games.
I just recently seriously got into Tekken 3, but I wouldn't agree with that.
The animations are pretty amazing for their time, they're surprisingly fluid for a game that came out in 1997 in arcades. Coming from 2D fighters, it's a blast to see those back-turned, grounded and sidestepping animations; and they're also incorporated in the gameplay, e.g. Hwoarang with all his right/left foot forward and flamingo moves, Lei and Ling with their stances, etc. The grabs look amazing too, that's one tough nut to crack for 2D games. The pre-rendered BGs don't really look too bad either, as well as the effects.
When Tekken 3 does look a bit aged is when you see those still expressionless faces on characters—that's where 2D has had an edge for years. Often, it's easy to notice the flat-shaded polygons on models, and they do look kinda annoying. Needless to say, the clothing on models also doesn't move nearly at all, the overall shading is lacking, the textures could be better…
But what the hell do you want? That's PS after all. The platform didn't even get SF3 or Garou. Yes, maybe if you compare the game to VF3, it loses fair and square. But given the game only came out much later on DC, I don't think that's a fair comparison.
>>
I was always impressed with the amount of characers in the roster, and the detailed story mode endings featuring great graphics.

And, I liked how a bunch of the characters had joint endings that were slightly differnt based on who won in the group.
>>
>>3859236
Two years after Tekken 3 we got DoA2.

Also:
>D I A L - A - C O M B O
>>
>>3859102
>SF2 fireballs are not "spam" btw.
Also, a little bit on this… You know, OP was not entirely wrong.
Very many high-level professional matches in ST very often turn into endless projectile exchange. Yes, that's not just mindless, and there's still a lot of strategy beneath it; but nevertheless, that's what the game is infamous for.
And when you take Honda, for example, that's one example where fighting projectile characters is an uphill battle for him. It's a pity that video got taken off YouTube somehow, Kusumondo recently got into grand finals in Canada Cup against N. Ken. That was ridiculously hard battle, he had to neutral jump a hundred of hadokens, barely getting a chance to strike. Alas, he lost, but it was an amazing battle to watch.
Needless to say, of course there's Boxer, who can avoid projectiles with his headbutt, and that makes him really strong against even Sagat… But still, this doesn't change that some characters can projectile spam all day long while others might need a huge amount of work to overcome it.
>>
>>3859254
Well, duh. 2 years after Tekken 3 we got DC and PS2, and also TTT. Obviously, the game would get surpassed graphically. But still on PS, it wasn't matched by many.
>>
Speak of the devil… Just tried to play Nina Williams, got these ""intuitive"" throw commands. Fuck this memorization.
>>
>>3859256
>Very many high-level professional matches
its unfair to talk about skill groups in a fighting game because then you get all sorts of shit youll never see while playing (ala tilt moves ssb)
>>
>>3859442
What are you even talking about?
>ssb
Ah, I see. Opinion discarded
>>
>>3859493
ssb and ssf have no spam though, its only in outlier matches, so it doesnt exsist in usual gameplay
>>
>>3859308
Tekken 1.5
>>
>>3859308
how do you get the combo list like this? i just managed to get all the king combos down pack
>>
>>3859514
Literally pause and select "command list"
>>
Does anyone have an issue where playing tekken 3 on a ps3 wont let you use the analogue sticks? i dont mind using face buttons but holy shit do the sticks hit my thumbs non stop
>>
>>3857865
Trash 3
>>
To add to criticism of Tekken, I can't get over just how bland and rehashed some characters feel to me after KoF.
Nina looks like Sarah Bryant. Ling is yet another Chinese kung-fu girl in a fighter. Kazuya's moves obviously reference Ryu/Ken, and his hairdo was taken from Demitri. Lei is Jackie Chan and obviously draws from Shun Di. Law is Bruce Lee (as if Fei Long wasn't enough), and draws from Sarah/Jackie. Paul takes one move too many from Akira, and is basically a karateka with Polnareff hair. Others, like Anna or Jun, are just so bland, they look like secondary characters. And don't get me started on silly chars like Alex/Roger, Angel, Devil, etc—these feel like fighting game maker pre-made chars.
I understand not every game has to be an anime shitshow like KoF, but sometimes a little personality doesn't hurt.
>>
>>3859857
Kazuya is tall Vegeta, while Lee is just Trunks. Paul is Ken + Guile.
Also, some of the developers worked on Virtua Fighter, where we had Tao Pai Pai (Lau), not-Chun-Li (Pai), Super Trunks (Jacky) and female T-1000 (Dural).
>>
>>3857865
its good but its not that good
>>
Tekken 3's the most fun but as a fighting game, later games refined things more and were better to play at a technical level.

I still appreciate Tekken 3's simple-yet-deep roots.
>>
>>3859889
>Tao Pai Pai
Heh, didn't know they ripped Lau off too.
Well, I 100% agree that VF ripped off SF2 (you forgot to mention that VF1 Akira was just Ryu) and DBZ, or had just super generic characters.
But, on the other hand, that was kind of the point, in a game that was centered on a more realistic approach. They made very generic characters, but they showcased new fighting styles, which looked very close to real life arts, and basically trailblazed 3D fighting genre. You gotta give them their dues: Akira is generic as fuck, but his style is iconic, with moves like tetsuzanko, two-fist strikes, elbows, etc. Pai is a way more faithful depiction of kung-fu than Chun. Shun-Di pushed the genre even further with his multiple stances, and Kage was one of the first to show all the variety and mindblowing techniques of ninjutsu. Most of its characters made huge contribution to fighters, despite admittedly looking basic as fuck.
But Tekken was a game with more fantasy, like robots, fighting animals, and throwing people into volcanoes. And it did what? Rip off many characters and moves, sometimes second time over (Ling, Law). Thank god they had occasional moments like Yoshimitsu and at least rehashed their old farts into bishonen chars like Jin and Hwoarang.
>>
>>3859857
king is just nacho libre too.

Tekken has the best joke characters. panda, kuma, mokujin and steeljin. Devil jin i also a cool character
>>
While i do like tekken 3 i gotta say its slow, ugly and not very deep. If there would be a top 50 fighting games of all time tekken 3 would barely make it onto that list.
>>
>>3861016
name 49 fighting games better than tekken 3.
>>
File: Playing Tekken .jpg (53KB, 478x358px) Image search: [Google]
Playing Tekken .jpg
53KB, 478x358px
>>3859254
>>
File: Superior Limb Based Combat .jpg (43KB, 427x314px) Image search: [Google]
Superior Limb Based Combat .jpg
43KB, 427x314px
>>3861023
>>
>>3861023
as opposed to what?
>>
>>3859078
>Tekken 4
>Goat

in aesthetics maybe, but that game had some severe balance issues

Not to mention Jin was broken as fuck
>>
>>3861027
SF where combos are shorter and one longass combo usually ends the fight.
DoA and SF where every attempt to merely dial a combo finish with # ends in reversal.
MK where all kinds of fuckery going on.
>>
>>3861039
so tekken is like an internation number
sf is a 13 13 32 sort of number
i get you
>>
>>3861178
Basically the longer and more damaging combos a game has means that a match comes down to less interactions. If a top damage combo only does 10-15% of a health bar, there is room for a lot of back and forth between players.

When combos get into the 40% range it leads to a situation where there's only room for a couple of back and forth interactions and a whole round may come down to a single whiffed normal on one player's side.

It also leads to players wanting to favor their highest damage combo so the whole match becomes them trying to set up the one move they need to get the win. So they get into a groove of trying to land the same one or two moves. And that makes the game less interesting overall, compared to a well designed game where each tool in a character's belt should be helpful and worth using.
>>
>>3861178
More or less, because of that SF has more going on as well, in tekken everyone aiming for one large combo to do large damage.
In SF battle dynamic is different because combos are shorter so it enforces more blocking, spacing and all other kind of action from the players between combos.
Same in MK as well except there are more distancing attacks.

In tekken once combo initiated you just stay there blocking it until the other guy finishes.
Only rare top level matches have different dynamic, shame really because I enjoy variety of moves in tekken and its something I am missing in SF, DoA is cool as well since reversal also put a rythm on everything.
>>
File: 1383248083481.png (5KB, 269x246px) Image search: [Google]
1383248083481.png
5KB, 269x246px
>>3859308
>tfw you know most of nina's chainthrows and king's too but can never do the rolling death cradle
What kind of monster wants you to press three buttons at once after a combo of double button presses?
>>
>>3861193
If IIRC L2 and R2 are 3 button combo presses.
>>
>>3861190
idk about the mortal kombat comboes, id usually do some international dialing as sub zero.
>>
>>3861196
They invented dial combos with MK3. It's NRS we have to blame for the whole thing.
>>
>>3861194
Oh yeah, never used those. Too used to the normal buttons
>>
>>3861201
national relay service? is this a joke that im taking too seriously?
>>
>>3861196
Combos in MK are shorter and I rarely try to go for the full chain, just poking and freezing forcing enemy airborn and just try to intercept him there or just going back and forth till one of us runs out of luck.
In MK its tricky to land a whole combo and even if you do they are short albeit powerful.
>>
>>3861027
Not him, but SF2 combos mostly have the same simple pattern. Optional jump-in, punch/kick, and a finish (like fireball/dragon punch). This is universal to almost all characters; you don't need to memorize anything for this. So you ordinary combo is like: jump-in, 1, 1, d,df,f+1 . There are sometimes 1-frame links, but they're some pretty in-depth pro stuff, and not applying to all characters.
SF3 made it a bit more complicated—for some characters. You can still use the old combos, but there are also launchers, stunners and such in the game. They're pretty easy to perform though. That said, some chars like Dudley actually have something like "dial-a-combo", called target combos. The same thing basically, but they're pretty easy and they usually go like 1,2,3 or 4,5,d+5. But with all of this said, some chars like Ken or Chun-Li feel pretty comfortable without any of this.
…The point is, never in the games you need to memorize random string of button presses with precise timings, like for tenstrings or multi throws. Never EVER this gives you any advantage. The singke exception is one of Akuma's meme supers, but that's it for all of Street Fighter.
>>
>>3861204
I do that with acronyms too much. Seeing ATM Machine drives me nuts because the reduncancy means can't not see it as saying Ass To Mouth Machine.
>>
>>3861194
Not him but I don't use them, I break my fingers like the devs intended
>>
>>3861208
Which MK are you talking about?

>>3861209
That's because SF2 wasn't designed with combos in mind. They weren't supposed to be there but certain players found it was possible to get in another hit with certain moves while the opponent was still in the hit animation. It became so popular that it was incorporated as a key element of gameplay in future versions.
>>
>>3861217
>That's because SF2 wasn't designed with combos in mind. They weren't supposed to be there but certain players found it was possible to get in another hit with certain moves while the opponent was still in the hit animation. It became so popular that it was incorporated as a key element of gameplay in future versions.
Yes, I know. But still it's just intuitive, and random number strings are not.
Besides, imagine being a casual player, having fun matches with others, and then running into some total sperg who memorized all of the chain throws for Nina. 1 grab and you're watching yourself kicked to death. Feels fair, right?
>>
>>3861223
Yes I do agree with that in general. I'm the other guy describing why long combos make a game boring even though they're in some games I still like.

Though to be fair it doesn't take long combos to make a casual player have a frustrating time against a serious one. It's never fun to sit back and watch a long ass combo unfold while you do nothing though, that's true.
>>
>>3861217
Good point, my mind unconsciously wandered toward MK9.
MK3 does have combos but those are short and less powerful.
>>
>>3861223
The casual player should fuck off back to Mario and Zelda.
>>
>>3861186
>>3861190
Not sure if we're talking about SF2/3/4, but I think it's important to also mention damage scaling. IIRC, before 6, Tekken only lowered the damage for air hits, i.e.
> Launcher (100%), 70% for first “air” hit, and then 50% for each hit afterward.
But in SFIV at least, the damage scaling gets bigger with every hit. What I mean is
>1st and 2nd hit do 100% damage
>3rd hit: 80%
>4th hit: 70%
>5th hit: 60%
… And so on, until you do measly 10% with every hit.
Here's an example of this, Daigo once did a ridiculous 25-hit combo (quite a rare occasion) in a match: https://youtu.be/ZRY0aMbSZEM . But really, despite he spent all of his meter on it, only the first few hits really counted; overall it did about 50% of damage.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
>>3861241
THE BEAST IS UNLEASHED
>>
>>3861241
Definitely damage scaling comes into it and helps, but it still leads to the same situation of how it affects gameplay and leads to long combos that are just boring to perform and watch.
>>
>>3861031
tekken 4 had god tier atmosphere and its a shame that they threw the baby out with the bathwater when they moved to tekken 5
>>
Y'all niggas are just salty over how Mortal Kombat is a better game than their favorite weabo fighter ever will be.
>>
>>3861250
but i like mortal kombat :|
>>
>>3861228
I agree. By the way, that's one thing I absolutely hated about KoFXIII. I have the biggest gripe with that game. Ordinary non-super combos are capped at around 20–25% damage, if not lower. But you can get up to 5 super stocks, and if you also have HD meter, you can land one juggle that deals up to 100%. Which lasts for 20 seconds straight, if not longer.
I liked watching that game, but every match turned into "spend all of the stocks in the last round and basically one hit kill with one match-long juggle". I got sick of it in the end.
>>
>>3861250
im op. mortal kombat is good. I liked DA
>>
File: kof-xiii_mai-and-yuri.jpg (93KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
kof-xiii_mai-and-yuri.jpg
93KB, 600x338px
>>3861259
There's a whole heck of a lot I hate about XIII but the art style sticks in my craw the most. It looks and plays like a cheaply made KoF fan game. Which it almost is on some levels.
>>
File: wonderpunch.jpg (431KB, 786x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wonderpunch.jpg
431KB, 786x1000px
>>3861250
It's all good. MK is cool and I am in the top 10% of Injustice players on XBL. Don't be salty, have fun!
>>
>>3861246
Wouldn't say it's that much of a problem in SF4 though, Evil Ryu was one of the worst cases and I hate him for this. Still it can be annoying sometimes.
That said, SF3 had Yun, and SFA3 had V-ism, with potentially endless combos lasting the whole match.
>>
>>3861271
What I can't stand is the racial stereotyping.
>>
File: OIoriNona.jpg (53KB, 430x900px) Image search: [Google]
OIoriNona.jpg
53KB, 430x900px
>>3861271
Don't even get me started on this. Nona's style is an abomination
>>
File: kof xiii france stage.jpg (1MB, 2560x820px) Image search: [Google]
kof xiii france stage.jpg
1MB, 2560x820px
>>3861285
What did they mean by this
>>
File: 6803749a686c3f3c8abdb57aa24b51f4.jpg (889KB, 2560x820px) Image search: [Google]
6803749a686c3f3c8abdb57aa24b51f4.jpg
889KB, 2560x820px
>>3861285
And this
>>
File: top683.jpg (121KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
top683.jpg
121KB, 600x800px
>>3861285
Fighting games might not be a good genre then.

>>3861287
It's actually more inspired by Falcoon than Nona. I don't mind either of their styles too much on their own but I don't think it fits KoF very well at all.
>>
>>3861290
Thats not moorica

>>3861292
>fat gooks

Is there someone with a thiccc fetish or something?
>>
>>3861290
>>3861292
Obesity is a global epidemic.
>>
>>3861304
Should have seen the best Korea, you wouldnt believe how fat you can get on nothing.
>>
File: Luan-sai-chat.jpg (100KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Luan-sai-chat.jpg
100KB, 1024x1024px
>>3861294
>It's actually more inspired by Falcoon than Nona.
But Nona was the one responsible for the whole art direction. According to Wikipedia, first he drew sketches of characters, and they made 3d models based on his drawings. Then they traced and animated those, and he was in charge of quality control. I'm not sure Falcoon was involved at all, cover and promo artwork was done by Ogura.
Nona was also the one responsible for 2001's in-game art, and of course it looked like shit too. His style changed a tiny bit towards anime, but still it's goddamn ugly.

>>3861295
It seems to me that Nona has a fetish for deformed gooks
>>
File: fat asian kid buddha.jpg (74KB, 538x583px) Image search: [Google]
fat asian kid buddha.jpg
74KB, 538x583px
>>3861308
KoFXIV DLC new character unveiled
>>
File: pf_vega_by_udoncrew.jpg (301KB, 725x1100px) Image search: [Google]
pf_vega_by_udoncrew.jpg
301KB, 725x1100px
>this fucking thread
Holy fuck

You shitters know nothing about fighting games.
>>
I appreciate how Namco understands the importance of single player content. Competitive players move around in flocks, and when top few deemed a certain game "retired" or whatever dumb thing they do, the multiplayer content drastically dies out. When it comes to Namco and Nintendo games, I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff.
>>
>>3861316
You can tell his look is deceptive, just look at that split.
>>
File: top823.jpg (126KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
top823.jpg
126KB, 600x800px
>>3861309
I read somewhere that Falcoon's alt designs being a lot of the inspiration but to be fair that was a number of years ago and who really knows. XII and XIII always looked more similar to his than Nona's art which I kind of like outside of it being stuck in KoF.

Whatever the case the result was terrible. At least XIV looks a little better now that they updated things, but I am hoping they go back to an even more traditional Shinkiro style even if it stays 3D.
>>
>>3861318
lol!
>>
>>3861331
This is a genre where the serious play is entirely based about multiplayer though so it's understandable why most companies put their effort where they do when making fighters.
>>
>>3861346
Define serious. The vast majority of consumers don't get anywhere close to competitive level.
>>
>>3861318
>you're not a """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""real"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" fighting game fan if you dont like a certain game for subjective reasons.
>>
>>3861250
Nobody is mad. It's just that MK is shit. Now I know you have to lashout and I'll admit MK gets shit on alot just about everywhere, but try to compose yourself and don't blame the Japs for making superior fighting games.
>>
>>3861354
I mean most people who play them play them to play with other people. Even if they don't get to a tournament level, there are tons of people of all skill levels playing online and many people play with friends as well.

The ratio of people who buy these games to play them with other people is far, far greater than those who get them to play mostly or entirely single player. Also the people who play it for the single player usually do a few times and then move on, where as people playing online will often keep playing and playing.

Also there are so many players in general now that even less popular games still have a large player base. Even look at something like Injustice which wasn't even very popular for a fighting game, and is almost 4 years old now and living in MKX's shadow. But I was playing some last weekend and still getting matches very quickly with people who were playing quite well.
>>
>>3861316
I am shit at drawing but I wanna draw it.
>>
File: 1486420191886.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1486420191886.webm
3MB, 320x240px
The best fighting game of all time is SoulCalibur. It has a depth that rewards great care and practice, but anyone can enjoy it. It's a retro 3D fighter whose graphics still look absolutely gorgeous. Definitely better than anything on Playstation!

You can even play it with the goddamn fishing controller.
>>
>>3861376
Nigga you can't expect me to read all that.
>>
File: u2463sH.gif (396KB, 350x434px) Image search: [Google]
u2463sH.gif
396KB, 350x434px
>>3861438
>SoulCalibur
>depth
>>
>>3861363
Americans invented fighting games first with Pit Fighter.
>>
>>3861446
Older SC games were top of the shelf and even PS2 SC still have everything a good fighter should, awesome training mode and character creator included.

Blocks, counters, parry, enviro damage everything and extensive moveset and its all weapons and not just punches and kicks.
>>
>>3861271
yeah and what about kof 14 graphics?
I wish they just kept it 3d and upgraded the classic style the games had up to XI ;_;
And where the fuck did Momoko go?
>>
>>3861438
I still can't explain how could they reach that level of graphics at the time
>>
>>3861452
Soul Caliber is babby's first weapon based combat.
>>
>>3861462
And whats for grown up's then?
>>
>>3861441
If I knew you were illiterate I wouldn't have bothered. An attention span that short is a good indication to steer clear of fighting games though.

>>3861457
14 is a little better now that the graphic pass has been done on it. Not great still, but not as bad as XII/XIII at least. I hope that XV has a more traditional look still. They could make it look almost like moving Shinkiro art at this point if they wanted to.
>>
>>3861463
Bushido Blade.
>>
>>3861460
It's not that impressive, it's just that by 1999 graphics technology had already far surpassed what you could get on a playstation and N64, consumers just couldn't get it at home usually
>>
File: sammo.jpg (131KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
sammo.jpg
131KB, 1200x800px
>>3861332
Speaking of which, I never understood how martial arts masters manage to get fat, ever. I understand that for sumos, who literally eat plate after plate of food and down them with beer. But aside from that…
I guess it's their """thyroid"""
>>
File: Unknown-1.jpg (54KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-1.jpg
54KB, 600x600px
>>3861338
He's not even credited in SNK wiki for working on XII. Maybe he did inspire something, after all he worked in the company, and he did endings for KoFXI.
But still XII and XIII is all Nona's style, see this pic from his twitter for example. He does dial back on ugliness occasionally, to sell his work I guess.
>>
File: fighting game fans.jpg (506KB, 1200x1350px) Image search: [Google]
fighting game fans.jpg
506KB, 1200x1350px
>>3861441
>ebonics
>can't read 3 paragraphs
>plays fighters
it's like pottery
>>
>>3861475
>They could make it look almost like moving Shinkiro art at this point if they wanted to

If only the weren't the shadow of their former past
>>
>>3861463
mk
>>
>>3861517
I don't know whether martial arts are a true "lifetime sport" (one you can continue to practice intensely even as your body deteriorates with age), although there is certainly a stereotype of old masters. But many athletes do get fat as they get old, because they have to eat a ton to maintain their muscle mass, but can't burn as many calories as they could when they were young.
>>
File: kof97e1bb4393e95c.jpg (143KB, 736x752px) Image search: [Google]
kof97e1bb4393e95c.jpg
143KB, 736x752px
>>3861528
Yikes, yeah that has me more convinced. Shame, of the two I like him a little better on the whole. Fuck that's ugly though.

Maybe some day...
>>
File: Mortal_c69119_1775807.gif (256KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Mortal_c69119_1775807.gif
256KB, 500x375px
>>3861535
lol

>>3861531
Hopefully if XIV gains enough ground they'll be able to hire decent programmers again and get the series back on track.

>>3861536
This, also you get used to how much food your body needed when you had a lot of muscle mass so if former athletes don't watch it when their life styles change it can be really easy to pack on pounds quickly.
>>
>>3861530
tekken should be a call center, juggling isnt THAT pinacle compared to other game
>>
File: katana fat guy.jpg (64KB, 1280x718px) Image search: [Google]
katana fat guy.jpg
64KB, 1280x718px
>>3861481
>Bushido Blade is best fighting game meme
>>
>>3861485
I understand that it's hard to call any retro 3D graphics "impressive" in 2017 when even a cell phone can graphically surpass any retro console or arcade game, but SoulCalibur probably achieved the best visuals of any game on the Dreamcast. That's not even a very controversial opinion.
The Dreamcast was more powerful than its competition in 1999, so it's not surprising that its games would have better graphics as you say. But SC is even more than that, with perfect art direction and atmosphere.

Technological advances give you the tools to make something great, but not every game that has the tools achieves it. SoulCalibur is one game that did.
>>
>>3861457
They made a patch. Now it looks bearable and even good occasionally. https://youtu.be/HcWOqX8bRP0 comparison side by side
>>
>>3861550
Soul Calibur did look really good, but it was Ecco's graphics that really blew me away on the DC. That game still looks amazing.
>>
>>3861536
>>3861542
That's Sammo Hung on the pic, he has always been fat
>>
>>3861546
That dude is utter badass.
>>
>>3861553
bearable is the right term

I'd like it to be good. Just look at guilty gear, that looks amazing (even though sometimes the textures are inexplicably low res)
>>
>>3861481
>muh edgy weeb dueling
>>
File: Weeaboo.gif (66KB, 680x227px) Image search: [Google]
Weeaboo.gif
66KB, 680x227px
>>3861637
>calling weebs on 4chan

>in a fighting game thread
>>
>>3861649
>2017
>he unironically thinks 4chan is still a weeb site

Sup reddit!
>>
File: CRRfx22WEAAJ6lG.jpg (55KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
CRRfx22WEAAJ6lG.jpg
55KB, 600x750px
>>3861539
Hiroaki (picrel) and Ogura are the best SNL artists, IMO.
Falcoon draws everyone with a duckface and his art is kinda gaudy. His cartoonish style is not a good fit for more realistic style of KoF.
Tonko is alright, but his style is a bit more moe/girl animu. I'm not sure if it was him who decided to draw Terry with 2 inch thick lips for Garou, but in any case fuck whoever did this.
>>
File: 1486189415141.jpg (33KB, 606x630px) Image search: [Google]
1486189415141.jpg
33KB, 606x630px
>>3861649
>fighting game thread
>Bushido Blade
>>
>>3861656
lol
>>
File: andy tekken 2.png (463KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
andy tekken 2.png
463KB, 500x400px
>>3861629
SNK barely had any staff working with 3D before XIV. They're still figuring stuff out, it seems. They still don't know that you need games to have good graphics on release, not several months after with a patch.
>>
File: MOTWPostcardTonko.jpg (495KB, 810x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MOTWPostcardTonko.jpg
495KB, 810x1200px
>>3861657
I really like Hiorki, Ogura a little less so but I still like the style. Tonko is my favorite non-Shinkiro SNK artist though, I absolutely love her work.
>>
>>3861438
SC used to be good. It admittedly looked amazing on DC—but not even just that, it was simply a beautiful game. Colorful, with a nice style and atmosphere.
And as a game, it was super friendly to casuals. You could know shit about fighters and still have fun with it. And this was crucial: SC was just fun. Perhaps one of the few games you could play with your non-FGC friends and enjoy together.
But don't kid yourself, please: the series is as deep as an inflatable pool, compared even to Tekken.
Btw,
>It has a depth that rewards great care and practice
The same can be said about 99,9% of fighting games. Which goes to show that's the only one you played.
>>
>>3861695
I mean, your criticism is fair, but I don't think a game should have to be incredibly niche to be good. Comparing SC to the extremely autistic fighters that no one can play without years of studying character animations frame by frame isn't an unfavorable comparison from my point of view.

SoulCalibur is very often considered the greatest dreamcast game of all time, often appears among rankings of the best games for any console of all time, and even occasionally as #1 overall. In contrast I've never seen anyone call a Tekken game the best game on any system, let alone the best game of all time.
Opinions are subjective of course, and I understand the attraction to super autistic, niche games because I'm into some of them myself, but those are exactly the opposite of the kind of game I'd expect a lot of people to like.

It's true that you can play SC by button mashing, but the skill curve is still "deep" enough that you can beat button mashing if you know what you are doing. So in my opinion it satisfies the minimum "difficulty" requirement to avoid just being a broken game, and making it more difficult to do well would not have made it a better game.
>>
File: ioriteam-02u.jpg (102KB, 599x333px) Image search: [Google]
ioriteam-02u.jpg
102KB, 599x333px
>>3861676
I was glad Hiroaki did 2002UM art, but it was a little too simplistic and quite a bit gay
>inb4 kof gayest fighter
>>
>>3861710
>Comparing SC to the extremely autistic fighters that no one can play without years of studying character animations frame by frame isn't an unfavorable comparison from my point of view.
Dude, even BRs and niggers play them. No game is like what you describe, there's simply tactics involved and that's it. Forget that meme.

>SoulCalibur is very often considered the greatest dreamcast game of all time…
Eh, that's a pretty flawed logic you have here. DC library is so much smaller than that of PS. And SC was so casual friendly that it attracted many outsiders to fighters.
>>
>>3861739
>No game is like what you describe, there's simply tactics involved and that's it. Forget that meme.
Ok, but
>And SC was so casual friendly that it attracted many outsiders to fighters.
I just don't think that's a bad thing. I know why some people don't like that because I know how it feels to have a type of game I'm really into get "casualized."
I guess this is why when you let people decide on "the best games" democratically, you will always get medicore results.
>>
>>3861748
I didn't say being casual friendly was bad. Quite the opposite actually, SF continues to be held back by its controls because that's how nostalgic people remember it.
My gripe with SC is that it's not that well balanced and simply not that deep.
Tekken has been played literally every year in biggest tournaments both in Japan and US; it never went away, ever.
SC was there during the popularity of II, sometimes; but as time went on, it lost all of it. And that's despite its big sales, even outnumbering Tekken (IIRC).
If it was truly deep, it probbaly wouldn't go away so quickly, both in Japan and in the West.
>>
>>3861793
>>3861748
>>3861739
>>3861710
>>3861695
Outside of extreme cases, a fighter is really only as casual or hardcore as the people you're playing with.

There are extremes and special cases of course but generally speaking 2 newish players can have a very good time playing SF or KoF even if they don't understand all the mechanics.

Where as "casual friendly" in SC doesn't mean that a more skilled player won't still demolish someone new. Just that the learning curve is easier to deal with.

This is one of the reasons I think fighters are such an amazing genre though. There aren't a lot of games where you can be a new player, go to learn one version of a game for multiple years on end, while constantly learning the whole time and have as much fun on day 1 as you do on day 1000.
>>
>>3861836
>Outside of extreme cases, a fighter is really only as casual or hardcore as the people you're playing with.
That does contain some truth but I think there's more to it.
There are just games with more depth and less depth. I mean that in some games, when you progress past certain level, it gets pretty stale. Take old games, like Art of Fighting or Fatal Fury Special. Once you learn how stuff works in them, you see that the balance is broken, the possibilities are limited, and you get tired of it.
But in some games, the ceiling is set incredibly high. Take ST, for example. Characters like Guile allow for almost infinite room for improvement, controlling them is like art. You have a cast of almost entirely different characters. Every char is like a different game: take Boxer, Zangief, Honda, etc. And when you learn to play AS some character, you learn to play AGAINST him, too.
And Tekken, even Tekken 3, does have a pretty decent layer of depth too. Teching, reversals, various stances/tricks and so on and so forth. You could spend years on Tekken—maybe not on 3, but later entries definitely.
But SC, I'm not sure so sure about. It's good while it lasts, it's fun and cool, but from what I've seen, it's just not serious enough in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>3857865
>delete your shit thread.
marvel VS capcom 2 is the fucking best
>>
>>3857865
The music in this fucking game. Probably one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.
>>
>>3862046
19 years later and it still is top tier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s47tjp6Om2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVhVYmFADRQ&index=4&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oRpbc6zF4&index=5&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tp0GUayV5Y&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65&index=6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZCDO10Kw4w&index=9&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESMyzfKdKU8&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65&index=10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z1D7E83UDU&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65&index=12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PtYKKr6kU&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65&index=15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW0FrLuXz-s&index=17&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3ydgDCYPk&index=18&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4v3GdPUQbQ&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65&index=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX8vuHRKxEM&list=PLAA4EA45C98BB6C65&index=23
>>
>>3859082
asuka 120% is the GOAT though
frog assist op
>>
Tekken 3 was the first time a fighting game got whored out hard to the mainstream audience. It is not something to celebrate.
>>
>>3863240
I never understand people who don't like the genres they like getting popular. Fighting games blowing up again and becoming huge is the best thing that could have happened to them.
>>
>>3863240
>what is Street Fighter 2?
>>
File: lei smug.png (44KB, 617x636px) Image search: [Google]
lei smug.png
44KB, 617x636px
>reee game Tekken 3 sold out muh fighting games
>>
>>3863240
*RATTLES TITS* MAINSTWEAM MAINSTWEAM MAINSTWEAM MAINSTWEAM MAINSTWEAM MAINSTWEAM MAINSTWEAM MAINSTWEAM
>>
>>3859308
agreed
>>
>>3861880
Yeah I agree with that in general as well. I should note I am much more familiar with 2D than 3D fighters.
>>
File: HugeSlowBlueandgoldmackaw.webm (829KB, 758x480px) Image search: [Google]
HugeSlowBlueandgoldmackaw.webm
829KB, 758x480px
>>3861230
>short and less powerful
Are you really sure about that?
>>
>>3863297
I think it's because the popularity in different games don't really grow up proportionaly. Popular games do get more popular, but niche games stay the same.
>>
>>3861481
I will fuck you up in Bushido Blade 2 it won't even be funny.
>>
>>3861438
SC1 is that one game everyone talks about but no one can actually talk mechanics.
>>
>>3861186
I like it when there's a lot of back and forth but I also don't mind 40% combos if the game is already high damage or there's a meter-lock behind. This ensures that games still get back and forth.

Combos that last for 10 sec is where the pacing get dragged down though. It's worse when those combos only do like 30-50%. At that point, I'm just falling asleep when playing those games, even when I'm the one landing them.
>>
>>3861318
But I am actually good at Street Fighter but shit at Tekken but still like it for its aesthetics.
>>
>>3863517
Shake your man tits for me baby
>>
>>3857865
I agree, Tekken 3 is everything.
>>
>>3857865
All the poo'loo sfs and sku'as
>kys
>>
>>3865183
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3864730
The way it seems to me, there's always a few genres that are the big popular ones of the day. Platformers, fpss, MMOs, mobas, etc And then the other genres all wax and wain beneath them. Fighters were huge in the arcade days then as those lost popularity they stayed around but only played by fans.

But when they got big again in the wake of good enough online, I think it's the best thing that ever happened for them. Both in the sense that it spurned a wave of new games and styles, and also gained support for older games too. So now no matter what style of fighter appeals you can play it with lots of people.
>>
>>3857865
Anyone who's been exposed to more technical, more dynamic fighting games will quickly pass on tekken. Other top fighters, namely Street Fighter, KoF and MK have advanced impressively in their latest installments; but the relic that is tekken just can't seem to evolve, furthermore many combos can be done simply by hitting 1-button, and the nearly "instant-kill" rage art moves are just laughably broken. Instead of a supplying a proper fighting engine, matches in T7 seem to rely heavily on "who can get their rage move off first". So many elements of the gameplay don't even require any sort of skill. In my book, slow motion over and over again also gets old very quickly. And in the end, it's more of a novelty or gimmick rather than an actual, thought-out fighting game mechanic. But hey, the casual crowd will be pleased!

If you want something a little more "button-masher-friendly," tekken might be your cup of tea.... Key word, might.
>>
>>3857865
>million mile juggling unbreakable combos and so forth
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6H1AU49TDo
>>
>>3865576
>what is Electric Wind God Fist
>>
File: 1427943813445.jpg (1MB, 1633x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1427943813445.jpg
1MB, 1633x2304px
>>3857865
>>
>>3865587
>Bloody Roar
>top tier

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>3865576
you do know this is a bug right? you cant actually do this with a controller
>>
>>3865591
Accurate
>>
>>3865593
>you cant actually do this with a controller
Um, yes you can
>>
>>3865587
how you gonna have t3 in worst tier but dark resurrection mid
>>
>>3865587
>>3865591
>>3865594
This, Bloody Roar shits all over tekken in every possible way.
>>
>>3865596
Probably because tekken 3 was shit and DR was the only passable tekken game
>>
>>3865596
That's a troll image only made to stick all the MK games in shit tier. The rest of it's pretty random, check out Primal Rage in mid and Bloody Roar 3 in top. Funny, but not worth taking seriously.
>>
>>3865614
Looks pretty accurate to me, I think you might just be shit at fighting games.
>>
>>3865645
lol okay furfag
>>
>>3865587
Very accurate list
>>
>>3865365
So why are people talking about dead fighting games?
>>
File: Two furfags having gay sex.jpg (95KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Two furfags having gay sex.jpg
95KB, 1366x768px
>>3865660
tekken is literally the game of choice for gay furfags, furfag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlVyKkK2N4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZCK3z8ZPqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAH1ULMuPaU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V61QYJc0JHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sPeQxvDc8A
>>
>>3865665
This the only people who think tekken is good are button mashing casuals and furfags
>>
This thread is now bait reposts of previous Tekken thread
>>3865665 = >>3838652
>>3865587 = >>3839363
>>3865576 is the usual "look at this combo vid lmao this game is broken"
Now go ahead and post your "list of features in Bloody Roar", nigger
>>
>>3865709
Dont be mad just because you got outed as a furfag who has no idea how to play fighting games.
>>
Is it safe to say tekken is one of the worst fighting games ever made?
>>
>>3865717
Didn't read
Just accept you're a nigger
>>
File: 2 furfags having gay sex.png (487KB, 469x595px) Image search: [Google]
2 furfags having gay sex.png
487KB, 469x595px
>>3865768
Didn't read
Just accept you're a furfag
>>
Tekken 3 was my first fighter and other than SF2 I haven't really enjoyed fighters since.
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.