[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we get a WRPG thread? Post your favourite one, a gameplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: darklands.jpg (297KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
darklands.jpg
297KB, 1024x640px
Can we get a WRPG thread?
Post your favourite one, a gameplay picture and write why you like it..
For me it's Darklands, because it's a historical RPG, something we don't get often, it has a high replay value and a great soundtrack.
>>
>>3850904
Check the catalogue next time.
>>
>>3857840
It's made for JRPG fans new to WRPGs, I made this one so people can post their western favourites, and talk about them in depth.
>>
File: MM6.png (329KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
MM6.png
329KB, 640x480px
Might and Magic 6
Nonlinear RPG with massive dungeons and lots of places you can explore. No handholding or tutorial island and you can fuck off to endgame areas as soon as you start the game.
>>
>Deus Ex
inb4 "not an rpg". I love this game. I can play it over and over again. I love everything about it, and still find new ways to play it. I'm tempted to do a pacifist run of it...

>might magic 6
Love this game too. It's just plain fun and gives you so much freedom to fuck around. This is one of those games that is much more fun to cheeze and exploit your way through rather than playing legitimately.

I used to love the fallout and baldur's gate series among many others, but now in my older age and having played practically every RPG released before 2005ish, I keep coming back to the above two games more than any others.
>>
>>3857898
>>3857965
I never liked Might and Magic 7 and 8, but I didn't play 6, is it any different than fore-mentioned?
Similar with my Deus Ex experience, I just couldn't get into it, tried playing it, over twenty times, but nothing really held me.
>>
>>3857987
MM6 is better than both of those. After MM6 3DO forced them to push out a new game every year so they were less polished and had less content as well as some questionable design choices like the skill restrictions.
>>
>>3857837
Is this game hard to get into? Is it necessary to read the manual before playing it?
>>
File: Lot o Vanathai.png (41KB, 250x324px) Image search: [Google]
Lot o Vanathai.png
41KB, 250x324px
>>3857837

I feel like the old Jeff Vogel Exiles don't get enough love. The first one is one of the best games for just wandering around and exploring.
>>
Does a "wrpg" from Japan count? Love me some Field of the King's variety.
>>
>>3858007
It's not hard to get into, but you should read the manual.
>>
>>3858025
>"wrpg" from Japan

That doesn't makes any sense if you think about it.
>>
>>3858776
What about the Japanese Wizardry games?
>>
>>3858991
They are still japanese? Maybe the direct ports could be something else, but still.
>>
>>3858776
I guess I meant it's obviously supposed to be in a wrpg style, just happens to be made in the east.
>>
>>3858776
>That doesn't makes any sense if you think about it.

Most everything designed by From Software is in the spirit of Western design principles. If you had not known anything about the company that made it, you might have assumed it was in fact a Western-developed game.
>>
>>3859005
>>3859006
That could be said about any first person dungeon crawler. Even Dragon Quest was heavily inspired by Wizardry at the beginning.
I just don't like to mix country with genre, I wouldn't say Anachronox was an JRPG neither.
>>
>>3859010

I don't think the distinction is that simple. By and large Japanese dungeon crawlers tend to be cartoonish or otherwise distinctly Japanese in appearance. Wizardry is an obvious exception, however.

But I don't see any point in wasting time arguing over semantics. If you can't already see the distinctive differences in Western and Japanese design principles, then it's doubtful any further explanation could make it any more clear to you.
>>
>>3858649
The manual is outstanding too. Tons of research went into it.
>>
are there any light versions of these types of games I could play in my browser while at work?

I used to play one that was on Newgrounds or something, but it was kind of bland.
>>
>>3858020
Looks like shit.
>>
Does anybody have some obscure RPGs to recommend?
>>
>>3859389
Perihelion: The Prophecy.
Albion.
Ishar trilogy.
>>
>>3859394
Not really obscure except Perihelion
>>
>>3859420
Is it any good?
>>
>>3858020
Good taste. I like these games more than Ultima or the rest of the top-down CRPGs, nothing else quite scratches the itch.
>>
>>3857837
Skeleton looks sweet
>>
>>3859709
The game has awesome graphics.
>>
>>3859027
I'm sorry for bringing it up guys:(
I change my answer to Ultima Underworld
>>
Does anybody know of any good mods for Arcanum?
>>
>>3859006
>Most everything designed by From Software is in the spirit of Western design principles.

Literally the fucking origin of JRPGs were just the japs trying to make their own Ultima on consoles.
>>
>>3857898
this actually looks pretty legit
>>
>>3859947
No way.
Kings field is top notch.
>>
>>3858776
We have examples of JRPGs made in the west, like Septerra Core or Pier Solar, so why not WRPG made in Japan?
>>
>>3864994
That's much bullshit as "American anime".
>>
>>3865000
What about American Power Rangers?
>>
WRPG's and JRPG's are just the style's

W is more of the lines of Tolkien, and DnD styled JRPGS are Final Fantasy

Japanese companies can easily make a Tolkien-esque RPG, and Americans can easily make the grandiose JRPG

it's not a hard concept to grasp guys

>>3865000
>what is anime made in America for $500
>>
File: Madmax2.jpg (23KB, 400x261px) Image search: [Google]
Madmax2.jpg
23KB, 400x261px
>>3865143
Preach.
>>
>>3865143
>WRPG's and JRPG's are just the style's
>W is more of the lines of Tolkien, and DnD styled JRPGS are Final Fantasy
>Japanese companies can easily make a Tolkien-esque RPG, and Americans can easily make the grandiose JRPG

These sentences are incoherent unstructured mess that makes little sense.

I think you might be mixing up settings (Middle Earth/SomethingElse) and mechanics (WRPG/JRPG).

JRPGs generally offer much less control over the character development and give less freedom of exploration, to the point where many dont consider them RPG's, since player has next to no input in how either story or characters develops.

West has tried to do jRPG - Anachronox.
>>
>>3864994
There is no such thing as JRPG made in the west since JRPGs are heavily inspired by or straight up clones of old western RPGs.
>>
>>3865313
You're wrong. JRPG is a rather strictly defined couple of genres. They are rooted in Wizardry and Ultima, but by mid 80s J- and WRPGs went completely seperate ways.

J and W don't stand for geography anymore. It's exclusively design principles and aesthetics. The only reason these games aren't called "wizardrylikes" and "dragonquestlikes" (for JRPG) or "mightandmagiclikes" and "falloutlikes" (for WRPG) are historical. Any developer from any country in any part of the world can reliably produce either.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.