[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cheapo wins tablet for old games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 51fPsbYPG-L.jpg (44KB, 605x1024px) Image search: [Google]
51fPsbYPG-L.jpg
44KB, 605x1024px
thinking about either buying an Android tablet or a Windows 10 tablet for /VR/ purposes. I know Android tablet can play almost all emulators, SNES, genesis, PSX, etc. but could a Windows tablet play some /vr/ late 90s games, besides emulation? (some some slightly not vr games) the tablet I'm looking at has an Intel atom 1.33ghz quad core and 1gb ram with integrated graphics, could I play some deus ex, system shock 1&2, half life 1and it's mods, cs1.6, deathmatch, dod
should I stick to Android and emulators or a cheapo win tab and some PC games too?
>>
>>3853769
Of course a windows PC is going to play windows PC games.
>>
>>3853769
That windows tablet is underpowered and lacks RAM.
It will be slow as shit.
>>
HP Stream 7 is what I use for that purpose
>>
>>3853769
how well would the touch controls translate to games?
>>
>>3853818
About as good as you would expect. Get a gamepad.
>>
I have a 4 year old Dell Windows tablet and while it is underpowered, what it can do is quite amazing. I've gotten EVE Online to run on it (even with it's integrated graphics and little ram/processor) as well as Civ 5. It would probably play older windows games as long as you can get them to run (it's difficult at times to get them to work on modern versions of Windows).

Just make sure you have a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and controller.
>>
>>3853802
This. Also the 1.33 GHz isn't looking too good either. Most mid range Android tablets will have better specs and play some old PC games with DOSbox and Adventure games with ScummVM.
>>
It's really hard to find tablet benchmarks because there's so many of them and many don't post the exact GPU model. But the OG Xbox has a 733mhz single core processor and 64 MB of RAM, and even it can run nearly every game covered on this board. Even the cheapest tablets run circles around that.

Get an Android tablet if you'll be using the touchscreen more often, as its emulators are designed with touch interfaces in mind. Get a less shitty Windows tablet if you're sure you're going to be using a controller.
>>
Can you run a mouse and keyboard from one usb otg or would it blow up?
>>
>>3854637

Yes. Mice and keyboards use very little power.
>>
>>3853839
And the gamepad will almost surely need a mini-usb adapter, so get that, too.
>>
Get an rpi3 and recalbox and a usb pad.
Touch controls on tablets suck for anything more reflex-oriented than pokemanz
>>
I'd rather suggest you cheapo intel atom netbook with 1024x600 resolution (so 800x600 games look crisp as fuck) that's compatible with winxp like acer zg5
>>
>>3853769
What is going to kill you on the Windows tablets is the CPU and RAM. Today you can get some better tablets with a fast Atom CPU and more RAM, but those might be out of your price range. Same with some of the Android tablets.
>>
>>3854883
This. Newer netbooks suck because almost of them are none upgradeable.

I like the older netbooks. SATA HDD and DDR2 RAM that can be upgraded to 2GB or 4GB depending on the model. There are also some that came with Nvidia Ion graphics.

Another nice thing is you can run all different operating systems as most newer netbooks you are most of the time stuck with whatever OS there is.

If getting an older netbook and plan on using what ever COA it comes with for Windows. Stay away from the starter versions on Windows. They suck.

If it comes with Windows XP or 7, make a new custom ISO and remove crap/disable shit that you dont need. There is software that can help you with this.
>>
>>3853769
I have some cheap chink windows+android tablets that are surprisingly good for running PC games. Pretty much anything 10+ years old that can run on windows 10 runs great. Even poorly coded modern shit like lol run at 30+ fps.

>>3854637
Depend on the devices. I have an old logitech mouse that won't work on a modern USB2 port because it draws too much power. I have a wireless kb+mouse that draws almost unmeasurable power. You can also get hubs that power the devices from an external power source or that charge as well. Some devices don't work with the charge type.
>>
>>3853807
This is probably the best Windows tablet for retro gaming. You can't go wrong.
>>
>>3857192
Well it has good specs and as a pocketable it was cheap enough that if I broke it I'd say "shit" not "noooooooo!"

On a semi-related note are there any pocketable bluetooth xinput controllers? Is that even a thing?
>>
Went ahead and answered my own question. The newest software and firmware for FC30 and NES30 pros supports Xinput so it appears I now basically have to get one.
>>
>>3853769
You never mentioned your budget, but the best Windows Tablet I've saw was Chuwi's Hi8 or something: ~U$S 100, Dual boot, 2GBs of RAM, one of the latest Atom CPUs (z8300/8350, don't remember which), sounds like a dream.
>>
>>3853769
"Smart"phones and tablets (normie devices) are the LEAST authentic way to do retrogaming.

Also using modern Windows means your box is owned by Microsoft and not a personal computer. Don't be surprised when next year all your ROMs are deleted and you get fined for software piracy.
>>
>>3853769
Tablets are not the best way to play games, even the old ones.

1) They lack dedicated GPU, so anything that relies on it (emulators) will work several times slower.

2) No proper cooling, meaning any kind of stress longer than 5 minutes will throttle the CPU down to 400-500 Mhz and make it stay there - that's a common issue with such devices. This makes playing even the old games like Baldurs Gate or Diablo 2 on them unenjoyable, as even they get slowdowns and stuttering.
>>
>>3857806
>Emulators are GPU dependent
>Tablets lack GPUs
>Tablets lack proper cooling
>>
>>3857806
Looks like you replied in the wrong thread there sport. This isn't the "best way to play games" thread.

GPUs in tablets are perfectly fine for running old games. Anything more than 60 fps is useless.

When playing Baldurs Gate the CPU will throttle down because it's not being used. You don't need 1+ghz for a game that does fine at a fraction of that. Cooling is absolutely not an issue at that speed. You'd know if you'd ever done it. But, hey, parroting is much easier amirite?
>>
>>3857806
>"Emulators are GPU dependant"
Please get out.
>>
Anything without physical keys sucks
>>
>>3858023
Do you have physical keys?
>>
>>3857398
Good Specs? Whats good about the specs that matches 99.999% most Windows 8 tablets. Fuck that 1 gig of ram.
>>
>>3857672
Not when it isnt connected to the internet. Or an older version of Windows.
>>
>>3860398
1gb of ram does kind of suck but I paid $60 for it two years ago so it's fine. It had far and away the best benchmarks of sub-$100 windows tablets but you obviously don't pay much attention to that if you think 99.999% of windows tablets have identical specs.
>>
Win 10 has issues with a bunch of older games. Just fell for the dx12 meme and some of the stuff that ran in compatibility mode on 8.1 won't run at all on 10
>>
>>3853769
>actual retro game threads are deleted
>this is left up despite not being related and bumping real retro threads out
Something needs to be done about our mod. This is too much.
>>
>>3860398
>you need more than 1g to play old games
lel

>>3860650
Are you crying about this in every fucking thread? Fuck. I don't even know what shit thread you're crying about because it was so shit I never even looked at it.
>>
>>3860650
>>"thinking about buying a tablet for /VR/ purposes"
>"not related"
Please, get out.
>>
File: surface pro 3.jpg (67KB, 778x438px) Image search: [Google]
surface pro 3.jpg
67KB, 778x438px
>>3853769

Another option would be to pickup a used Surface Pro 3 (maybe even a Pro 2). Can also buy refurb'd in the $400 range and brand new not much more.

They're pretty stout and could probably play newer stuff. Also you could use it as a laptop since it runs on a full version of Windows.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.