[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come cabal/rail shooters never really took off?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: panzer2.jpg (58KB, 704x448px) Image search: [Google]
panzer2.jpg
58KB, 704x448px
How come cabal/rail shooters never really took off?
>>
>>3853674
Americans really enjoy their FREEDOM unlike filthy Japs.
>>
Because they suck if you're playing them with a controller.
>>
File: Saturn_missionstick.jpg (67KB, 793x800px) Image search: [Google]
Saturn_missionstick.jpg
67KB, 793x800px
>>3853843
>>
>>3853674
because it's on rail
>>
Because of advancing technology. They just quickly faded out, sort of like vehicular combat games but not as dramatically.
>>
>>3853861
That joystick's only compatible with like 3 games, you know. Even then, a lightgun would be better for most of them.
>>
>>3853920
More technology just means better framerates and better graphics. 2D shmups have their niche, but somehow 3D/rail shooters didn't.

There were never too many of them anyway, but most of them are very solid stuff.
It's a case of quality over quantity.

Rez got an HD VR re-release recently, and Starfox Zero released last year (to mixed reviews, I heard).
There doesn't seem to be a new franchise, it's only re-releases or sequels.

S&P2 on the Wii was amazing though, but that was released 7 years ago, fuck time flies.
>>
>>3853945
http://segaretro.org/Sega_Mission_Stick#List_of_supported_games
More than that.
>>
>>3853945
Lightgun being your weapon of choice? I haven't really found those to enhance the experience very much.
>>
>>3853945
How would you control the dragon in PD if you play with a light gun?
The controller pad works fine.
>>
>>3853674

More Arcadey games just went out of style. No one really wants a game you can polish off in a few hours of play with nothing to show beyond a sense of fun
>>
File: 1487491871703.jpg (22KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
1487491871703.jpg
22KB, 480x300px
>>3853674
>>3853674
>>3853674

Because no one owned panzer dragoon orta for the xbox.

SERIOUSLY.
>>
>Starfox 64
>Pokemon Snap
>Sin and Punishment
>Rez
>almost every lightgun game
>Panzer Dragoon Zwei, possibly the perfect videogame

because clearly they're fucking done. they did it. rail shooters are finished and they're great.

how are you not satisfied?

shit even rail-sidescrollers were knocked out of the damn park with Klonoa and NiGHTS
>>
>>3854398
I think the sales of Sin & Punishment 2 killed the genre the most. Maybe the new VR Rez will do better.
>>
>>3854389
>people that credit feed through arcade games and say they're too short
The time it takes to (properly) complete a difficult arcade game, and the time it takes to get better scores/become a better player is far better replay value than RPG/adventure games where you get to the ending and then that's it. The idea of finishing games like you're trying to get them over with is stupid.
>>
>>3854446
>The idea of finishing games like you're trying to get them over with is stupid.
Sadly, that's most people's mindsets concerning games.
>>
>>3853674
Lot of people have a stupid misconception that linearity is bad so tons of more linear genres ended up dying off over the years in favor of empty sandbox games with the same three side missions repeated ad nauseam.
>>
>>3853674

They did. It was THE genre to be playing back in the late 80s in arcades.
>>
>>3853681
>Americans never played Time Crisis, House of the Dead, Duckhunt or Virtua Cop
Wew lad
Silent Scope was the GOAT. Niggas lined up for dat shit.
>>
Rail shooters died when hardware became good enough to let people actively participate in a world, instead of following a camera through it.

What's sad is that I boot up HotD, VC, or TC every couple of weeks, and have an absolute blast every time. There isn't a single open world type game that could hold my attention this long, but holding a gun and shooting zombies and goons is infinitely enjoyable.

It's a genre that really wasn't explored well enough, and it can't even make a true comeback with VR because crazy camera movement makes everyone sick.
>>
>>3854717
Name ten '80s rail shooters.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.