[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

was it really necessary to have saves be expendable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 6619_front.jpg (85KB, 640x1016px) Image search: [Google]
6619_front.jpg
85KB, 640x1016px
was it really necessary to have saves be expendable
>>
that can be easily fixed with a gameshark
>>
this thread wasn't necessary but that didn't stop you from posting it
>>
>>3852053

It gives you more of a sense of fear during those times when you're out of ink ribbons, low on health, and desperately trying to find more ribbons so you don't lose your last 30 minutes of progress.
>>
>>3852053

I never ran out of ink ribbons. And that's Richard on the cover. They made a comic prequel with Richard and Capcom USA liked it enough they made the cover of the comic the cover of the game.
>>
yes
it incorporates resource management like other items and makes you unable to exploit frequent saves
>>
Resident Evil is basically a puzzle and resource management game so yes it was necessary because the entire challenge comes from using resources wisely.
>>
>>3852053
Well, it is called survival-horror, not trial-and-error-horror.
>>
>>3852053
kids shouldn't post on this board

please go back to play those games with checkpoints every 5 seconds where is impossible to lose even if you try
>>
I beat this game my first time through with like 10 ink ribbons left. it was just a nuisance.
>>
You have missed a greater conundrum, OP

Why are there still a considerable number of typewriters in use in 1998?
>>
It adds to the difficulty of the game, resource management and all that jazz.

Besides it's not a chore to look for Ink Ribbons (which are abundant) when you're listening to the dank soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ziSjc4F0z4
>>
File: 1489208772983.gif (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1489208772983.gif
6KB, 200x200px
>>3854661
And for that matter, why do Chris and Jill know how to operate them? Granted, more than a few government agencies still had typewriters in the late 90's, but the STARS office in RE2 had computers.
>>
The one and only way to make this game playable is with the "open chest anywhere" cheat.
>>
This thread is actually going to get better once NESfag starts posting in it
>>
>>3854875
Because they have IQs of >80
>>
>was it really necessary to have saves be expendable

Not necessary, but it's part of the survival horror packakge.
It's one of the gameplay mechanics that made Resident Evil so popular and which made a real difference with Alone In The Dark and all its previous clones.

What matters isn't the amount of saves you can find, nor the scarcity/location of save places.
There is actually so many ink ribbons and so many typewriters that it really doesn't make much of a difference, also because most save spots are located just near chests so the ink doesn't have to eat inventory space.

So, in reality, it doesn't make much difference except that because it's there, it will help people feel vulnerable. The player will FEEL like making a save is important because you won't be able to save infinitely, and thefore, losing a life carries more weight.

What also matters is the way you find ink ribbon. You actually have to look for them, search for them, find them in hidden places like drawers or lab coats, etc (this is one of the reasons why RE2, and especially BH2, is worse than 1 because it has more stuff in plain sight) it adds another layer to supply management.

So in reality, it makes no difference, because granted you don't burn saves like a retard and granted you do look around a little, you'll find much more than enough ink ribbons.

The only difference it makes it help the survival feeling.

It's actually the same with ammo.

>>3854953
I'm sorry but my autism has shifted towards Mega Man these days
>>
HAHAHAHA, YES!!

GET FUCKED YOU SAVESCUMMING BABBY TODDLER.
>>
>>3854875
those characters weren't born in the late 90's like you, they were adults who presumably had seen typewriters throughout their lives up to that point.
>>
>>3854965

Don't be racist. The new stupid is sub 60.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.