[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Western RPG Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 15

File: jpg.jpg (77KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
77KB, 600x450px
Whats your favorite Western RPGs or dungeon crawlers? No Asian RPGs.
>>
File: fallout2_cd.jpg (200KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
fallout2_cd.jpg
200KB, 950x950px
>OP says he wants RPGs posted
>Starts off the thread with a Click'em Up

???
>>
>>3851991

Its a good and challenging dungeon crawler. Better than that jrpg trash where you spam the A button and occasionally heal a party member.
>>
File: 1473638949577.png (17KB, 290x368px) Image search: [Google]
1473638949577.png
17KB, 290x368px
>>3851987
Might and Magic 6
Diablo was a lot of fun as well for a single character dungeon crawler.
>>
File: nsdbSKM.png (888KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
nsdbSKM.png
888KB, 1024x768px
>>3851987
>No Asian RPGs
how about an Asian Diablo
>>
>>3852749
wuzzat?
>>
>>3852749
Isn't that a arpg that has toilets all around map, or i confused it with another game?
>>
>>3852098
This guy is in the know
>>
>>3852749
Okay the fuck is with that text?
>>
>>3852749
Never seen this one. Downloading now.
>>
>>3852745
All three of those are dungeon crawlers retarded nigger. Don't act like it's some prestigious genre that Diablo doesn't fit in because it's simplistic.
>>
>>3852001
>Spamming the A button is more simplistic that spamming left mouse
I can't beleive you're really placing Diablo, of all games, above JRPGs in complexity rankings.
>>
>>3853981

Its more complex than any Dragon Quest game.
>>
>>3852751
Prince of Qin (2002)

>>3852785
Not sure what you're talking about but I don't think this one has toilets

>>3853107
Just the item system. You can craft weapons with several components, each giving you different stats, which are those blue text. Also there are numerous stats and damage types so yeah.

>>3853149
Honestly I don't know if it could still run on newer machines, and I'm pretty sure dosbox is out of the question. Good luck though.
>>
>>3854221
What about Throne of Darkness? I like it more because it's set in Japan. Is it any good?
>>
>>3854812
Throne of Darkness is really weird because it's like a mix of CRPGs and Diablo. I never really figured out the party controls properly and the game design seems all over the place.

It's also pretty damn hard.
>>
>>3854830
Is there any other RPG that is set in feudal Japan, except this one and Way of the Samurai?
>>
>>3854836
Inindo.
Live a Live.
Onimusha Tactics.
Shiren the Wanderer.
Izuna.

I'm sure there's a lot more.
>>
>>3854842
Thanks. Do you know of any WRPGs?
>>
>>3854843
Nope, Throne of Darkness is the only one I can think.
>>
>>3854843
>>3854846
Well, there's Shadow Tactics but it's not even an RPG. Also not retro.
>>
>>3854846
Too bad. I wish there was a WRPG similar to Persona or Shenmue.
>>
File: 1415420655389.jpg (49KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1415420655389.jpg
49KB, 680x680px
>>3854812
fuck ToD. It's an enjoyable game in itself and if you enjoy the setting and the fact you get to level a whole crew that's just fine. There is no random map generator, so it gets kind of stale to run through the areas you already know.

however, what broke the game for me is the fact that it's kind of buggy and it fucked me over at a certain point: I made one attempt at creating an overpowered party, farming items for crafting and so on, building the perfect weapon for the sorcerer. Once the crafting was done suddenly the character couldn't use that weapon anymore. Inexplicably, not due to changed prerequisites.
such a shame, it could've been really enjoyable with a few tweaks.
>>
File: Ultima_Underworld_cover.png (223KB, 300x385px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_Underworld_cover.png
223KB, 300x385px
>>3851987
>>
>>3854212
How? At least in DQ you have certain situations where enemies need to be countered with a specific strategy, or puzzles in the overworld or something. Diablo is just becoming a potion drinking lawnmower where you spam click on bad guys until they die. Wowee, so complex. Better make sure I put my stat points into the only build that works, which I used an internet guide for, or else i wont be as good of a lawnmower!
>>
>>3851987
This is a stupid question but I can't find an answer anywhere, though I'm sure I've seen it before on reddit. I'm playing through TES: Arena and am trying to grind up some artifacts. To make it go faster I want to disable the obnoxious menu dissolve, but I could swear I've tried every key and the usual combinations. I'm using the control remapper if that makes a difference. The only answer I've found is F4, but that doesn't do anything.
>>
>>3854981
I can never forget how awesome the battle music in the game was.
Now I have to look up the sound track.
>>
How many wrpg threads do we have?
>>
>>3857381

Diablo 1 has a good amount of strategy in how you move around the dungeon and face enemies. Lot of tricks regarding portal placement, staff usage, etc.

It's not super complicated but it's a bit more than clicking.

Single player Diablo is pretty brutal because the dungeons you get are what you have the entire game which can fuck you over. Compared to multiplayer where you can just remake the game to regen a dungeon. Same shit goes with the shop keepers.

Diablo is a hack and slash arpg. Comparing it to a jrpg is sorta silly.
>>
>>3854981

can we all agree this is legit one of the greatest games ever made?
>>
>>3851987
>dungeon crawlers
diablo is not a dungeon crawler, it's just a simplistic 2.5D hack and slash rpg

remember those first person rpg games where you are in a dungeon and mostly use the mouse to move around with arrow icons? that's a dungeon crawler
>>
>>3851991
>>3852745
>>3858561
Kids nowadays have to simplify everything, same with genres, else they get confused. Having more then one type of sub-RPG genre is too much for them.
>>
I just downloaded gothic 2.
What am I in for lads? Should I mod?
>>
>>3858596
Just get the system pack.
>>
>>3858561
It is fucking stupid that dungeon crawler is reserved for this one type of game when D1 and a lot of other games could be described as dungeon crawlers. But then if you do people assume things.

And then people call Diablolikes ARPGs and then they also call Souls games ARPGs and those are entirely different.

Genre definitions are fucked up nowadays.
>>
>>3858893
But Souls and Diablo both are ARPGs. Any real time RPG can be classified as an ARPG.

Dungeon Crawlers on the other hand where turn based and not real time.
>>
>>3859295
I don't think we'll get anywhere with this. Clearly you aren't talking about the same games as >>3858561.
Can we at least agree what a Blobber is?
>>
>>3859307
>blobber

Oh boy, here we go again.
>>
>>3859309
Is Sorcerian a belt scroller, STG, blobber, JRPG, ARPG or a dungeon crawler?
>>
>>3859316
I've never played that game, but I can tell you that Diablo is a hack & slash.
>>
>>3859307
Blobbers and Diablo both involve dungeon crawling. Anyone that disagrees should be castrated.
>>
>>3851991
>fo2
>not fo1
pleb. bet you ragequit it cuz you couldn't find the waterchip in time
>>
>>3853170
Diablo is a completely different kind of game from what "dungeon crawler" refers to.
>>
>>3859413
What exactly is a "dungeon crawler"?
A Wizardry clone? A Rouge clone? A dungeon master clone?

All those game types are vastly different.
>>
>>3859419
A wizardy clone. Rogue clones are roguelikes and Diablo was developed as a real time roguelike. Dungeon Master is an action dungeon crawler.

Genre distinctions exist for a reason.
>>
File: pedit5welcome.gif (5KB, 417x431px) Image search: [Google]
pedit5welcome.gif
5KB, 417x431px
>>3859413
>>3859425
Wizardry does not define dungeon crawlers or was it the first.
>>
>>3859452
Of the three games mentioned by than anon, Wizardry is the one that's actually a dungeon crawler.
>>
>>3859347
The crawl in dungeon crawl literary comes from it being turn based.
>>
>>3859476
Yes, but latter first person ones that where real time could still be classified as 3D dungeon crawlers, but yet they weren't action rpgs.
I guess you really had to live through the evolution of it to actually get it.
>>
>>3859425
Dungeon Master isn't considered an action dungeon crawler, but a real time dungeon crawler, it was made in a transition period after what action rpgs started to appear.

Don't forget that most of those old distinctions of the games that make them what they are, are because of hardware restrictions and not because they wanted the game to be like it from the beginning.
>>
>>3859425
You're retarded and are making up genres as you go like action dungeon crawler.
>>
>>3858893
>>3859307
>>3859316

And this is how we got to the point where Devil May Cry and Platinum company games are called Hack'n'Slash by general public.

Simply disgraceful.
>>
>>3859512
>>3859524
Action/real time, same difference. The point is they're different kinds of games. Lumping disparate games together in the same genre defeats the purpose of genre distinctions in the first place.
>>
>>3859529
But games like DMC are called character stylish action.
>>
>>3851987
D1 is still the only game to this day where hours and hours of time go by in what seems like 20 minutes. That's never happened to me with D2 or D3.
I wonder what's up with that? I just get totally in a zone when I play it.
>click, click, click, click, click [sound of ring drop] YES [spend 2 minutes hovering mouse around looking for the fucking thing]
>>
>>3859419
Dungeon Crawler, usually characterised by turn-based combat and grid movement, also labyrinthine enclosed locations to explore (usually dungeons, hence the name).

Rogue and the genre it codified - Roguelikes, are characterised by extreme randomisation of everything, some times even what things are and what they do. Also consequences of choices are almost always permanent and irreversible for the current run. Most of the times coupled with permadeath.

Diablo is a Hack'n'Slash-type ARPG with a little bit of Rogue elements.

>>3859542
Retard journos were calling them Hack N Slash since ~2004 (aka the time when Blogging began its ascent, and gaming journalism started to rapidly degrade). "Character Action" term is a recent invention. Prior to retardation similar games with focus on melee action and strategic combat were usually referred to as "Slashers" (Die By The Sword, Severance, Rune, Enclave etc.). They were quite different from DMC-style games though. Closest to it novadays would be Souls games, but Souls-likes got an injection of some RPG and Rogue elements.

>>3859551
Diablo 2 is great in a different way. It may be perceived as worse in some aspects due to less condensed/tight experience. Spaces are much more open and less claustrophobic, most individual enemies are less of a threat and die by the dozens, items are much more randomized and have much more magical enhancements, while impact of an individual magical effect is lessened.

It sacrificed it's intensity in favour of variety.
>>
>>3859559
>some times even what things are and what they do

Not sometimes, that's one of the main characteristics of the genre. As is permadeath. Rogue inspired games without those things are either roguelikelikes or roguelites depending who you ask.
>>
>>3859559
Yeah, D2 is a very different feeling. I love D2 and put fucktons of time into it, but D1 is still a lot of fun to play. Like you said, they're basically entirely different experiences.
I was about to compare D2 to Dynasty Warriors, then I suddenly realized maybe D2 is the reason I love Dynasty Warriors so much, mowing down endless waves of enemies is so satisfying and fun.
>>
>>3851987
What game is this
>>
>>3859741
are you serious?
diablo 1
>>
File: g2.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
g2.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>3858596
DX11
>>
>>3860953
Too bad there's no new character models to download
>>
File: gothic.jpg (931KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gothic.jpg
931KB, 1920x1080px
>>3860953
>>
File: gothic2.jpg (970KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gothic2.jpg
970KB, 1920x1080px
>>3861220
>>
>>3860953
>>3861220
>>3861221
What's the gameplay like? Skyrim also looked pretty as all hell and like a big fun open world but the mechanics were boring and the AI was shit so it ended up being barely playable.
>>
>>3861231
Gothic's gameplay is it's weak spot, and by gameplay I only mean mechanics and fighting system, but when you get into it, you start to like it, because it can be very tactical. But the world is really great, it's very interactive and everything makes sense.
>>
>>3861283
Thanks, sounds like it's not really my cup of tea but that's okay.
>>
>>3854843
The difficult curve is so great that you are not going to care about anything else. Controls suck and everything is clunky but even killing your first rat is extremely satisfactory. It's a better game than any Elder Scrolls.
>>
>>3861350
>It's a better game than any Elder Scrolls.
I haven't liked any of the Elder Scrolls games I played, but what makes it better? If the controls suck and it's all clunky, that's one of ES's biggest problems as well.
>>
>>3861356
But ES was made only for gameplay, Gothic is a story-heavy game.
>>
>>3861383
Story in games almost never interests me so if that's all the draw is then it's not for me. It pains me to think Elder Scrolls is made for gameplay, I'd seriously rather go to the dentist than have to sit and play those.
>>
>>3861393
It's not only the story, it's side quests, they are actually fun, and the world is masterfully done, all enemies are hand placed and don't level up with you, so there's virtually no grinding.
>>
>>3861356
Difficulty, character progression, interaction, exploration, quests.
>>
>>3861393
> I'd seriously rather go to the dentist than have to sit and play those.
Yah, I know, only TES game where gameplay is fine is Morrowind, others are pure shit, except Skyrim with over 600 mods, but it still gets stale after 10 hours.
>>
File: DSCF6541copy_zps60af33ce.jpg (278KB, 700x860px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6541copy_zps60af33ce.jpg
278KB, 700x860px
>>3861410
But if the mechanics suck and are clunky and story isn't a draw then what's the appeal of side quests? What's fun about them?

>>3861420
Difficulty is only good if the mechanics are solid, otherwise it's just a chore.

>>3861421
The two I tried to play seriously were Morrowind and Skyrim. I did stick with Morrowind a little longer, but thought they were both awful.

I'd love something with a massive world that's open to explore and a good character progression system, but that also has solid gameplay and well designed combat mechanics.

Dragon's Dogma came close, but it's world is ultimately pretty small and the leveling system makes it so that by mid game you're way too powerful. Monster Hunter is near perfect for that except it's mission based, not open world.
>>
>>3861434
Just play it dude.
>>
>>3861434
Dragon's Dogma is one of my favourite games ever, same with Gothic II. They aren't too much alike but for some reason I remembered Gothic II while playing Dragon's Dogma, maybe they have something similar in the level design/exploration.
>>
>>3861434
>I'd love something with a massive world that's open to explore and a good character progression system, but that also has solid gameplay and well designed combat mechanics.
Darklands, Realms of Arkania, Lands of Lore, Dark Sun
>>
>>3861442
My gaming time is pretty limited and there are tons of things itching to be played on my plate already. I'm open to piling more stuff on, but it's gotta sound appealing first.

>>3861450
That does sound promising.
>>
>>3861454
I did play Dark Sun back in the day and enjoyed it. Might look into the others.
>>
>>3852785
wat.jpeg
>>
>>3854221
were there any CRPGs for MS-DOS?

I've been playing some old games like Street Fighter 1 but I'd be down to play something more meaty
>>
>>3862031
Might and Magic III - V are pretty good.
>>
File: dos.jpg (4MB, 4337x4762px) Image search: [Google]
dos.jpg
4MB, 4337x4762px
>>3862031
>>
File: wiz7.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wiz7.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>3862195

No Wizardry? Fail.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.