[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there been any shitshows bigger than what happened at sega?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: sega.png (12KB, 185x116px) Image search: [Google]
sega.png
12KB, 185x116px
Has there been any shitshows bigger than what happened at sega?
>>
Sega's at least still making games, y'know.
>>
square
>>
>>3851606
Atari.
>>
>>3851640
This. Sega was at best a close 2nd place for one generation. Atari went from top dog to shit show in a very short period.
>>
For all the shit the Saturn gets from PS1 kiddies, their developers sure had no qualms about ripping off their games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmNnGj_1vS8
>>
>>3851606
SNK let itself get pretty fucked up, Atari takes the cake.
>>
>>3851640
All I knew of Atari when I was growing up was it being a ubiquitous synonym for "failure" and "outdated".
>>
>>3851871
If NOA and NOJ start butting heads like Sega did towards the end then maybe.
>>
>>3851856
Once upon a time Atari was the coolest thing ever
>>
>>3851885
Funny that's literally the same thing I would have said about Dreamcast right after it launched.
>>
>>3851640

/thread

If an evil Nintendo operative had taken over Atari with the intention of driving it into the ground...
it still would have been better run than the clusterfuck it actually was.
>>
>>3851845
What will it take for SNK to surpass them? They were relegated to pachislot games, resurrected by chinese money, and the masterpiece they produced to try to save their reputation was a PS4 exclusive fighting game that has Nintendo 64 graphics and netcode.
>>
>>3851976
Nintendo actually handed the Famicom to them on a silver platter to distribute in the US under the Atari brand but Tamriel didn't think he'd need to license hardware and would do just fine with the 7800.

We could have had the Famicom years earlier than we got it effectively bridging our "crash" years. But nah because he knew business or whatever.
>>
>>3851893
The ST was the only decent Atari product
>>
>>3851764
You seriously can't deny that Sega was #1 in the early 90's
>>
>>3851896
Unlike Sega, Nintendo only had one disastrous selling console (Wii U) instead of three (CD, 32x, Saturn)
>>
>>3852185
>forgetting the disaster that was the Virtual Boy
>>
>>3852185
for the last time the CD wasn't a disaster

sega have stated they broke even on it
>>
>>3852185
>forgetting VB
>forgetting N64DD
>forgetting Gamecube
>>
>>3852197
wow what a huge win for them
>>
>>3852247
Breaking even is hardly disastrous, you stupid twat.
>>
>>3852289
>great news lads, the sega cd WASN'T a huge disaster, we broke even!
>that is truly fantastic news mate, we've really dodged a bullet there. let's get to work on the next add-on immediately and be sure not to make the same mistake. what is the r&d budget looking like?
>it is zero dollars, as we've just broke even (a rousing success) on the sega cd
>>
>>3852309
>spend $50 million on R&D
>make $50 million back

you're back at the place you started you dumb shit
>>
>>3852185
Virtual boy, you're a console revisionist. Fuck off.
>>
>>3852309
Nobody fucking said it was a big success, fuckwit, he said it wasn't a disastrous failure.
>>
>>3852239
>Gamecube
Not this meme again. PS2 kicked its ass in numbers, sure, but the dev costs on the gamecube were so low in comparison that they still made tons of profits.
>>
>>3852367
>selling more copies than Nintendo can produce
You seriously fell for that meme? Have you never heard of a company intentionally selling fewer units than their market research gauges of demand? You know, to artificially make their product look more desirable, causing a feedback loop? You need to gauge the absolute number of units moved over time, then compare that to historical performance of other consoles. Never, ever take the "sold out" story at face value.
>>
konami
>>
>>3851606
Sega still had their Arcade thing it wasn't THAT bad.
>>
>>3851909
>Nintendildos

Australia-kun!
>>
>>3851606

Square was saved and punished by Enix
Namco save himself with Bandai

And Sega well, it has Sammy, so it's covered but I don't how much time left for both.

Capcom was and will always strong

Konami it's on his own.
>>
>>3852239
And the n64
>>
Speaking of Bandai, what's the whole story behind Bandai betrayal to Sega?
>>
>>3852367
They are still available to buy in places.
>>
/v/
>>
>>3852239
>>3852561
You guys really have to understand that just because a console didn't win a generation doesn't mean it was a miserable failure.

If the company made more money than they lost it's a success and that's precisely what happened with N64 and Gamecube.
>>
>>3852562
my guess the second post
>>
>>3852579
>>3852494

Anyone who knows anything about videogame consoles knows that reputation and long term market share is extremely important. The N64 and gamecube were too consecutive blows to Nintendo's status as top dog. The fan base might have forgiven them for one console not at the top, but they basically handed PS2 the generation by for example not aggressively pursuing third party support.
>>
>>3852597
>Anyone who knows anything about videogame consoles knows that reputation and long term market share is extremely important.

You're trying to make me believe that you understand how business and finances work?
You're better off limiting yourself spouting old 90s marketing slogans. Using terms such as "long term market share" is not something you can really comprehend.
>>
>>3851640
They still publish good games,Witcher 1 and 2,the new Sam and Max ect.
>>
>>3852605
lol, that's what I get for trying to explain in the nicest possible way how full of shit you are and how even your average 10 year old kid knows better than that. I guess you can't fix stupid.
>>
File: betas should suck.png (101KB, 644x241px) Image search: [Google]
betas should suck.png
101KB, 644x241px
>>3851640
This
>Start as pretty good game dev
>Everyone leaves for Activision because of bullshit
>Crashes industry with almost no survivors
>About a decade later, make a shitty console and brag about being 64 bit, when it wasn't
>Die
>Get bought out by infograms
>Skimps out on games
>driv3rgate
>Shitty Alone in the dark reboot
>years of slot machines
>Come back with very, very shitty games like Alone in the Dark illuminations and Roller Coaster Tycoon world
I could pretty much have a huge story with RCTW alone

Pic related: RCT fanboys defending the first public beta for those who pre-ordered the final game took a long ass time to make and it still sucked and got it's ass beaten by planet coaster, there was also a bunch of people demanding that people can't rate betas of games, as if to make sure no one is informed that the game sucks or has issues
>>
File: really.png (221KB, 656x553px) Image search: [Google]
really.png
221KB, 656x553px
>>3852692
>>
>>3852597
>lol, I'm gonna summarize a couple of basic business concepts in under one sentence and pretend I know what I'm talking about
>I'm not going to relate them back to Nintendo's later ventures, because I don't know how to reconcile the success of the Wii and DS with my support of the "lol, Nintendo failed" meme

>>3852669
>and when someone points out how I didn't actually make any points, I'll just hide behind a bullshit "you just don't get it" excuse
>if I just keep the holier-than-thou act, I don't have to acknowledge my lack of an actual argument!
>it always works on /v/
>>
>>3852692
The US home console "industry" was really more of a market. They didn't crash an industry.
>>
>>3852716
Dude wtf just stop talking, you seem like you have issues. I'm not even going to read that.
>>
>>3852185
Yeah the CD wasn't a fail by any means, it sold less than expected, but it sold. It sold enough to develop a version 2. Since when was Saturn considered a fail? It didn't do well in the states bit it was bigger than PSX in Japan.
>>
>>3852786
For around 18 months it was as big as the PlayStation X, but after that it wasn't near it at all.
>>
>>3852786
Saturn was a fail because unlike N64 it actually lost Sega a shitload of money.

Honestly, the only reason Dreamcast died is because the Saturn lost Sega so much money they couldn't keep it going.
>>
>>3851764
That's incorrect. Sega was number one when the Genesis came out. It blew the nes out of the water, until the Snes came out a year later.
Also, while the Nes was more popular here in the USA, the SMS was very big in Europe and Brazil. The Sega Master system also had better games and was superior machine to the Nes.
>>
>>3852789
I was stationed in Yokosuka and then Okinawa from 1997-2000 and I can guarantee the only thing big about PSX in Japan was Final Fantasy and Metal Gear. Saturn had more shelf space, more advertising and more fans without a doubt. Sega and sonic was everywhere you went in late 90's Japan. Even if Sony was kicking ass in NA and the EU it was easily 3rd place in Japan. I know sales figures picked up for PSX as the time went on, but you also have to take into account the disparity in software attach rates with PSX system sales. The fact that so many systems were faulty and were replaced by consumers makes PSX sales figures very skewed.
>>
>>3852843
Third behind what? The N64 hardly sold 1 million units in Japan.
>>
>>3852851
Ummm....what is Game boy? I don't think people understand the game boy phenomenon in Japan. Everybody owned one. There were 60 year old ladies pulling them out of purses on the train. I waited in a line for 3 hours to get one in akihabara weeks after release to get one.
>>
>>3852851
N64 sold 5.5 million in Japan
>>
>>3852851
The N64 sold 5.54 million units in Japan. It's the 12th highest selling system of all time there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles_by_region#Japan

The reason it was considered disastrous selling by Nintendo was because Nintendo were top dog, the playstation wrecked their shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (224KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224KB, 3000x3000px
>>3852750
Are you from /v/?
>>
>>3851606

What's happening at Nintendo currently.
>>
>>3853582

Between the no gaems and the Switch's breaking, freezing or just generally not cooperating with the user, we're definitely on that road. If they can pull it together I'll be amazed.
>>
>>3853701
>Console has issues at launch
Who knew
>>
File: facepalm[1].jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm[1].jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>3852843
>I can guarantee the only thing big about PSX in Japan was Final Fantasy and Metal Gear
>>
File: 1486139886745.gif (1MB, 245x280px) Image search: [Google]
1486139886745.gif
1MB, 245x280px
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.