[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WRPG recommendations for a JRPG fan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

File: 3Xb9IEL[1].jpg (71KB, 746x477px) Image search: [Google]
3Xb9IEL[1].jpg
71KB, 746x477px
Hey /vr/os, here's the thing.
For most of my life, I've been playing nothing but JRPGs, stuff like Suikoden, Xenogears, Grandia, etc (to name a few).
I feel like I've been missing a lot, so I decided to boot up Steam and give some WRPGs a try, the problem is that I don't know where to start.
I'm looking for a smooth transition, what would you say is the best?
A friend recommended me Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment, but I also want /vr/'s opinion, if possible.
>>
Elder Scrolls
>>
Try out Wizardry I-III. They have gameplay similiar to the Etrian Odyssey series.
>>
>>3850904
Baldur's Gate /w widescreen mod
Daggerfall
Morrowind
Arx Fatalis
Fallout
Wizardry
Ultima
Might and Magic
Deus Ex
>>
Might and Magic 1-8
You could play the japanese ports of the first two games.
>>
>>3850904
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
BGTutu
Big Picture Mod
1pp Productions
etc. (all mods installed after vanilla, basically)
>>
Albion
>>
To be honest for your first wrpg you might want /v/ stuff rather than /vr/. Like fallout for example, I love that game, but the user interface kind of sucks. A lot of old wrpgs are kind of like that, great games with great systems but know that you're gonna need a certain amount of patience to get into them. Also if you decide to try one make sure to look up a manual for it, a lot of these games don't tell you how to play in-game.
>>
>>3850904
>I feel like I've been missing a lot
You haven't. Imagine RPG with no dungeons and bosses and bland or plain bad art and music. Here's your typical WRPG.
>>
>>3851249
>RPG with no dungeons
Even Fallout had dungeons with the crater area and the various vaults.

Hell, in the Genesis version of Shadowrun the corporations were their own dungeons entirely when you are trying to extract someone or find a package.
>>
>>3851271
It's not a dungeon if you can save whenever you want.
>>
>>3851280
Yes. Wizardry 4 is a joke because it gave you multiple save slots.
>>
>>3851286
What? Can you save anytime you want in Wizardry? I haven't played it but I love Etrian Odyssey, and people call it a Wizardry clone. That would be fucking retarded if it was possible to save in dungeons in EO.
>>
File: Adol the Slayer.jpg (169KB, 1024x537px) Image search: [Google]
Adol the Slayer.jpg
169KB, 1024x537px
>>3850904
Fallout 1 & 2.
KOTOR

I'm also very fond of Starflight, but it's a little dated.
>>
>>3851297
In Wizardry 1-3 the game will automatically save after every step.
Wizardry 4 gave you three save slots to freely use.
5 only saved in the town.
6 ownard gave you free saves.
>>
Considering how broad of a term "WRPG" is it's hard to recommend games, but if you want to get a basic overview of the different styles and some must-play classics that have aged very well:
>Dungeon Master and/or Ultima Underworld
>Might and Magic World of Xeen
>Fallout

Someone else mentioned Albion, that and Betrayal at Krondor are also good as an entrys point because they share some similarity with JRPGs in terms of story focus and premade party members.
>>
>>3851307
Well, 4 and 6 sound like shitty games.

>>3851312
You may call it however you want, but it's not really a dungeon if you can save anywhere.
>>
>>3851337
You should realize that 4 and 6 don't have much in the way of save spots. You can't simply leave the dungeon and rest in a town or similar.
In 4 loading a save will reset guards, hero groups and the like. It may be a shitty game but definitely not because it's easy.
>>
>>3851353
I didn't imply that this system affects difficulty. It however removes areas or sets of obstacles that every player needs to complete on one try, which imo cheapens the game and gives designers leeway to be shit at their job.
>>
File: 1474519858738.jpg (391KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1474519858738.jpg
391KB, 1280x1280px
OP why do you want to try WRPGs and what do you want to get out of it?
>>
>>3851393
Wizardry 4 is more carefully designed than most other dungeons.
You might even think the saves are another one of their traps to make the game even harder.
>>
>>3851249
"WRPGs" often actually are trying to be like real RPGs, which isn't the case with JRPGs. Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Deus Ex don't play anything like JRPGs.
>>
>>3851249
This quite frankly. WRPGS are garbage.
>>
>>3852346
Go play tabletop in your mom's basement, nerd.
>>
>>3852346
I'm playing Shadowrun and it feels more like a table talk game than any non-Japanese game I ever played.
>>
>>3850904

Heroes of Might and Magic III
Diablo 1 and II
Elder Scrolls Morrowwind
Deus Ex
Arx Fatalis

JRPG's are shit. (except Chrono Trigger)
>>
File: ns.jpg (228KB, 795x795px) Image search: [Google]
ns.jpg
228KB, 795x795px
Might and Magic 6 is what you want
>>
Ultima 1-7
Fallout 1-2
Daggerfall/Morrowind
Deus Ex
>>
>>3852346
>Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Deus Ex don't play anything like JRPGs.
Are you sure?
>>3852360
>Triggernigger saying JRPGs are shit
No wonder you like garbage WRPGs.
>>
>>3852613
The funniest part is that half the games in his post aren't WRPGs. That's Chrono Trigger fan for you.
>>
File: Wizardry 8.jpg (177KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Wizardry 8.jpg
177KB, 1280x720px
>>3850904
>smooth transition

Yeah the Wizardry series that has been mentioned is a great place to start, but I'd start at the end of the series with the 8th iteration. It's the easiest and more like the forgiving JPRG's than the others. If you like it, play either 1 through 8, or 6 through 8.

Wizardry series does have one great feature. After you finish one of the titles you can import that save game into the next version and continue with them. Unfortunately you can't go 1-8 with the same party though because 4 and 5 break that pattern. But it's kind of neat to play with the same party from 6-8 or 1-3.

Character creation in that series is fantastic. You can spend hours formulating the perfect party, or try your luck with the first 6 assholes you get. The earlier games are pretty unforgiving so save often.
>>
>>3852354
What are you talking about?

>>3852613
>Are you sure?
Why wouldn't I be?
>>
>>3852642
You can't really import a party to 3. You play as the descendants who only inherit the name and the class. You can however import a party from 3 or 5 to 1 and 2.

>The earlier games are pretty unforgiving so save often.
You don't really get much control over that.
You can see how far a throwaway party gets you but once you get a grasp of the game you will want to create a party with high rolls and plenty of CON.
In 6-8 you have no way to replace party members so your best bet is to spend time on that.
>>
>>3852650
>Why wouldn't I be?
Because you evidently didn't play many games.
>>
>>3850904
honestly? Give Anachronox a try. It's a good gateway for wrpgs and not far off from where you move away from jrpgs. the writing in the game is probably one of the funniest ever if not the best featured in rpgs. shame it looks butt-ugly at times tho
>>
>>3852674
You're right, there must be so many JRPGs that play like Deus Ex or Fallout, even though at that point they are no longer JRPGs. My mistake.
>>
>>3853428
>even though at that point they are no longer JRPGs
For what reason?
>>
>>3852617

Go play your gay melodrama final faggotry and leave the real games to real men.
>>
>>3852678
I have food poisoning and this picture almost made me puke rn ngl
>>
Fallout 1

Get a character creation guide but don't read quest guides.

Its a great game, and its got probably everything you'd want as a JRPG fan, turn based combat, random encounters, sidequests, party members though you can't control them directly.
>>
>>3853440
For the reason that JRPG is a genre. Are you just pretending to be dumb?
>>
>>3850904
Highly recommend Heroes of Might and Magic series. 1-3. Yes, it's an srpg, but the stuff going on is easy to adapt.
>>
Op you need to start with a story driven, turnbased game with isometric graphics.
Baldur's Gate comes to mind, also Star Wars - Knights of the old Republic, which is not retro though.
To a lesser degree Fallout.
For the step into 3D I reccomend Gothic over the Elder Scrolls, fighting feels beter, world is livelier, story is more obvious.
>>
File: Screenshot-1.png (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1.png
41KB, 640x480px
>>3854626
Not him, but JRPGs are of a completely different, though related lineage to traditional RPGs.

Most WRPGs, especially modern ones aren't very good RPGs either.

RPGs get their roots in tabletop games, such as D&D, where open systems allow for a more open experience.

JRPGs get their roots from dragon quest, specifically dragon warrior, which was heavily influenced by early Ultima, which in turn, was heavily influenced by Lord British's experiences with D&D as a teen.

Most classic WRPGs are more directly influenced from their tabletop counterparts, with obvious adjustments, such as having quest triggers and random encounters to simulate a lack of a dungeon master.
>>
>>3854680
On top of this, JRPGs tend to be more narritive focus, this doesn't mean story heavy, but unlike traditional RPGs which are all about experiencing your own story within a fantastical setting, fantasy, scifi, occult, ect, JRPGs tend to tell you a story, rather then letting you experience your own story through the game world.

The earliest example of this kind of shift is Final Fantasy, the original final fantasy has template classes that let you pick and choose how you want your party to be, and lets you earn your own story through your actions in the game, do you beat a boss with holy spam? haste up the warrior? go all monk and laugh as you punch chaos to death? But then Final Fantasy 2 comes out, and while it still has more open systems, the game is much more designed to tell a story akin to point and click adventures mixed with final fantasy 1's gameplay, which is why they had the verbage system that you find in so many 80s era adventure games.
>>
>>3854686
Final Fantasy 2 was a WRPG.
>>
>>3854698
Eh, its where JRPGs were really started, again, JRPGs became significantly more narritive, telling stories of characters, rather then telling the story of a world for you to explore.
>>
>>3854706
>telling stories of characters
So exactly like the Mass Effect and Baldurs Gate series.
>>
>>3854706
It was made in America by an American. It's a WRPG.
>>
>>3854710
Baldur's gate uses a self insert, your party is made up of various characters depending on your choices and actions.

Mass Effect is a narritive game, yes, but most modern RPGs are.
>>
>>3850904
I recommend Gothic 1 and 2 . Best world design ever with a story and lore that makes sense. This video explains it perfectly.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hVYrALStucs
>>
>>3851307
saves after every step?
so if you die, you have to restart? or how does it work?
>>
most wrpgs are really story focused as opposed to jrpgs which use story in major moments to give context to the game play, rather than replace the game play with story. You will be doing a lot of reading and not very much game play, what little there is, isn't very good.
>>
>>3854835
The idea is that you can launch a rescue mission, retrieve your party and revive them.
The common approach is to quit the game before the results of the combat are final, that way you can restart from the point before your party got wiped out. Fixed encounters will be reset so it can still be a challenge to reach the town.
>>
>>3854698
well, it was the first game that had a levelling system that became more popular with wrpgs
>>
>>3855098
Why do you believe it was the first?
>>
>>3855104
which game before it let you raise stats based on your actions?
>>
>>3855106
For instance Xanadu. That's the earliest I know but there may be even older ones.
>>
>>3852678

I loved Anachronox when it came to the writing and most of the puzzles but the combat was kinda boring. Also I never found most of the special moves for the characters, and the magic system with the artifacts was a little intransparent.

But why was the game called Anachronox? You don't even spend most of your time on that planet. And then the game ends on a cliff hanger after some pretty tedious and boring end levels.

The soundtrack is also just a little bit too laid back and ambient for an RPG. But damn if the game doesn't have soul and genuine witty writing. I loved playing it. Just wish the combat was a bit quicker. Oh, why did they never make the sequel. Grumpos, I trusted you.
>>
>>3851017
This is the best advice for a JRPG player who wishes to switch to WRPGs.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.