[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

File: FalconPunch.png (343KB, 320x438px) Image search: [Google]
FalconPunch.png
343KB, 320x438px
>Punch-Out!! is undoubtedly the best NES game in 2017.
Gameplay is much more challenging and intriguing than Super Mario Bros. 3
>>
Mega Man 2 is very meh and not at all one of the greatest games of all-time
>>
Final Fantasy VII is the greatest story told so far in video games
>>
>comparing a platformer with a boxing game
>>
IaMP is the only good 2hu fighting game
>>
>>3849847
I know that they're very different, but in terms of pure entertainment and quality, I think Punch-Out!! reigns supreme
>>
File: Teleroboxer.jpg (63KB, 640x638px) Image search: [Google]
Teleroboxer.jpg
63KB, 640x638px
>>3849905
That's okay, but it's still an apples and orange kind of thing.

Teleroboxer>Punch Out
>>
>>3849641
Home Alone (1) was one of the greatest NES games of all time
>>
>>3849661
I agree... 3 was one of the greatest though
>>
Zelda: OoT has not aged well at all. It's pretty boring and linear with way too much story exposition. Worse, it ruined mainline Zelda with the same fucking brain-dead hand-holding formula for almost two decades.

Perfect Dark is so much better than Goldeneye that it completely obviates the need to play the latter game at all.

Quake 2 was a massive disappointment. It also looked like complete muddy oversaturated overcontrasted ass in OpenGL even when the game was new.

Sonic 3+K > Sonic 1 >>>>>>>>>>>> Sonic 2 >> Sonic CD.

And this point is one generation out of /vr/ technically but I don't give a shit. Halo 1 and 2 were fantastic games and deserved much of the praise they got.
>>
>>3849924
>Zelda: OoT has not aged well at all. It's pretty boring and linear with way too much story exposition. Worse, it ruined mainline Zelda with the same fucking brain-dead hand-holding formula for almost two decades.

Not retro, but I had my doubts that nintendo would actually make the new Zelda more exploring instead of handholding but they've fixed that in breath of the wild for the most part. It isn't *quite* the same feeling of true adventure/mystery as Zelda 1, but it is by far closer to Zelda 1 than any other Zelda game.

Unless you use a guide of course but I don't get people who use guides on their first playthrough of a game.

t. One of the weirdos who likes the first two Zelda games the best and breath of the wild is the first Zelda game since links awakening I actually enjoy
>>
System Shock 2 is only half of a classic game. The RPG systems aren't balanced at all, and the entire game swerves into a ditch in the last few areas. Bioshock was more competently executed start to finish, even if it has fewer RPG knobs to twiddle and lacks muh SHODAN.

And speaking of SHODAN, Durandal from the Marathon trilogy sold the whole rampant AI shtick ten times better, without actually veering into cartoonish malevolence.
>>
>>3849919
While we're airing this stuff, MM3 would be much better without the Doc Robot stages.
>>
>>3849924
>Quake 2 was a massive disappointment.
That's a popular opinion
>>
>>3849948

The game got widespread acclaim when it was new, and even back then I wasn't a fan of it.
>>
>>3849937
>Complains that SS2's systems aren't balanced
>Praises Bioshock where you only need 1 plasmid to beat the game.
>>
Yoshi's Island is unmitigated garbage and anyone who thinks it's a good game is an idiot.
>>
>>3850283
I can agree that it's inferior to Super Mario World in pretty much every major way, but can you explain why it's such unmitigated garbage?
>>
>>3849924
>Zelda: OoT has not aged well at all.

Thank you for saying it. Wasn't my first Zelda, so it doesn't really hold a special place for me.
I really liked it at the time, but it isn't a game I go back to play, well, ever.

>>3849934

Add me to the list. I agree with your post. I just went back and completed links' awakening for the first time, and I have to say it's one of my favorites now.
>>
File: 300px-ScrSpr.jpg (31KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
300px-ScrSpr.jpg
31KB, 300x225px
Since I was told this was an unpopular opinion when I unironically said it before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73n7HTcmb5g
The Bramble stage music from DKC2 is just... truly awful. The high-pitched screechy parts are like nails on a chalkboard, and I legitimately cannot fathom why this tune is as popular as it is. If you like it, you have terrible taste in music.
>>
Quake II and Unreal's singleplayer campaigns both suck and are incredibly boring and tedious.
>>
>>3849641

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! has always been my number 1. It's amazing that nothing has surpassed it in all this time. Super is fine but it's made for little sisters or something and the wii sequel is poisoned by gimmick controls.
>>
>>3849847

> comparing a platformer with a puzzle game.

fixed
>>
>>3849924
>Perfect Dark is so much better than Goldeneye that it completely obviates the need to play the latter game at all.

They even give you the good stages from Goldeneye along with all the old weapons. Man I miss old Rare.
>>
>>3849940

Personally I like 4 the best.

I also think X4 is the best in the X series.
>>
>>3850591
>It's amazing that nothing has surpassed it in all this time.
this. it really is an excellent, mechanically polished game. this is coming from someone who didn't grow up with it and only played it as an adult.

I was just playing through it recently, it's still fun. I can get the TKO on Tyson, but I'll never achieve the ultimate and get a KO. I'm content with just being able to dodge all his uppercuts in round 1, let alone hitting back.
>>
>>3850591
>>>3849641 (OP)
>the wii sequel is poisoned by gimmick controls.
You can play it without motion controls.
>>
>>3849924
>Halo 1 and 2 were fantastic games and deserved much of the praise they got.

halo 2 is overrated and the only reason why people jerk off to it was the online play and even then almost everything about it was done better in 3
>>
>>3849919
Seconded

>>3849940
Probably could have been done better.
>>
>>3850780
Eh, I don't know about that. I think the multiplayer in 3 got pretty bloated with all the weapon types and practically mandating dual wielding for most weapons to be effective. Also the bubble shield and the stupid items.
>>
>>3849871
>IamP
Touhou Gensokyo Rensa is my fave, even though the music blows. lol not retro.

Genesis and SNES idort here. Love both systems, and we'll never have a generation like that again. That said, the fact that the console war for those machines STILL rages irritates the fuck out of me.

Dragon Warrior 4 and 7 (original versions) remain my favorite RPGs of all time. V disappointed me.

Radia Senki on the NES is merely alright. It has some ahead of it's time features, but holy fuck is the game slow as balls. When Faria can do a form of your battle system better, maybe you should've sped it up, just a little. Not to mention your characters being able to make it so you can't help them.
>>
>>3850496
Baby Mario crying is what everyone complains about, so I won't do that.

To me, everything about it is fucking terrible. The egg-throwing mechanic is awful to use. The common reply to that is "it's the best way to do it with the SNES controller" but I say that just because it can't be done better any other way with the controller doesn't mean that the way it is done is good.

I also hate it because it's what started the bullshit trend of "you should collect every trinket" that pretty much all platformers of the latter half of the 90s followed.

All of the sound effects in the game are grating, such as Yoshi's grunting when he floats. His ability to float also removes any possible challenge from platforming since you can make him float to a higher point than his regular jump. Pretty much the only ways to die in the game are falling in lava or on a spike.

All of the bosses have the same gimmick of changing sizes. I hate the music and while the game does feature some interesting usage of the SuperFX2 chip, I think the graphics in general are unappealing.

Every few years I go back to it thinking "maybe it won't be that bad this time" and I find myself hating it just as much as I did in 1995.
>>
System Shock 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2
>>
I can't fucking stand the first Kid Icarus game. I really wanted to like it but holy hell everything about it just pisses me off.
>>
>>3850810
i felt 3's weapons were more balanced out than in 2 biggest examples of that were adding a battery to the energy sword or splitting the needler into 2 guns

3 also introduced things such as 4-player & online play to co-op, forge mode and later in ODST firefight

i will agree that equipment was useless because they were too situational most of the time which is why they became armor abilites in reach
>>
>>3851340
>such as Yoshi's grunting when he floats.

Nice way to give away that you played the GBA version.
>>
>>3851432
same
>>
>>3851583
I've never played the GBA version. Pardon me for getting one tiny detail of a game I hate wrong. His fluttering noise when he floats is grating.
>>
>>3851432
I like the music
>>
>>3851625
That's okay anon, this is an unpopular opinion thread after all. But how did you get that mixed up if you never played the GBA version?
To be honest I also hate the sound effects of the GBA ver., but I love the sounds on the original, like the "boing" sound when he jumps. They ruined it with a "ha!" on the GBA.
>>
>>3850780

>halo 2 is overrated and the only reason why people jerk off to it was the online play and even then almost everything about it was done better in 3

You are right, but Halo 3 is two generations out of /vr/, not one, so I didn't mention it.

That said, I still don't think Halo 2 was overrated, because it got multiplayer very, VERY right. It was the first time I can recall that it felt like the developers had actually bothered to playtest the entire multiplayer experience, instead of just throwing a bunch of levels into a pot, giving you a server browser, and letting the community sort it out.
>>
>>3851665
>But how did you get that mixed up if you never played the GBA version?
I was probably thinking of Woolly World since it's a much more recent game.
>>
the real bout games are better than garou
>>
>>3850281

It is a lot easier to seriously screw yourself in System Shock 2 than Bioshock.
>>
>>3850780

Halo is dime a dozen babby tier trash.
>>
File: seaman_1.jpg (228KB, 1240x700px) Image search: [Google]
seaman_1.jpg
228KB, 1240x700px
>>3851759
>>
>>3851659
I'll give it that. Music is really good - half the reason I keep coming back thinking "maybe I won't hate it this time".

I actually feel kind of bad about how much I can't stand it. It's weird.
>>
>>3850739
>>3849641
The punch out series has always been terrific, all of the games are pretty great
>>
>>3851908
I know right? It's probably in my top 3 favourite games
>>
Zelda is a shit franchise lacking any interesting core gameplay mechanic. It was made for the adhd kiddies who didn't have the patience to get good at platformers
>>
>>3849940
That's the thing that just kills the game for me. Not only are they all the same enemy graphically, but it rehashes old stages. Besides, fighting "Quick Man only now he hits harder and is 2x the size" isnt very fun
>>
Doom 2's stock levels are better than Doom 1's.
>>
>zelda 2 is the best one in the series
>dkc is overrated, has garbage graphics and the camera is way too close
>the VB is the best console ever
>>
SimCity is a top 5 SNES game
>>
>>3852414
>zelda 2 is the best one in the series
I said unpopular opinions, you're putting your family in danger by saying that
>>
File: 1488576192365.jpg (42KB, 631x740px) Image search: [Google]
1488576192365.jpg
42KB, 631x740px
>>3849841 neck yourself, bruv.
>>
>>3849641
I'm no expert on the game but from what I know

There are like 7 boxers with the exact same background.

Each one involves a "trick".

I thought liking it was a meme that it was surprisingly good, you're really putting it up against a game like SMB3?
>>
>>3853043
yes it uses palette swaps, and it combines puzzle-solving with fighting. that doesn't take away from it being a great game.

I think it's a classic, but I wouldn't go as far as OP.
>>
>>3853038
At least he contributed to the thread with what OP asked. What are you doing nigga?
>>
>>3853043
It's simple but good. Some people like things that aren't so intricate. Also the sprites in that game are massive and some of the best on the system

People say Tetris is the greatest game of all time and it is even simpler than punch-out, so there you go.
>>
>>3849924
>>3852407
Agreed.

>FF9 has one of the worst stories in the FF series; only FF8 is as bad.
>Portrait of Ruin is the best Castlevania
>The first Legend of Zelda is so tedious that it wouldn't have been fun if it weren't for game guides from Nintendo Power and the like
>but the same could be said about the first Final Fantasy
>>
>>3849661
I always regarded mega man 2 as the worst in the series. People only liked it because they could beat it. It's the polar opposite of Zelda 2.
>>
>>3849924
I was totally with you until you said Sonic 3+k was better than CD. Sonic CD is possibly the greatest performer of all time.
>>
>>3849924
dissing OoT is hipster faggotry. its an objectively excellent game.
>>
>>3855063
>hipster faggotry
So much this

Ocarina isn't responsible for the developers using the same formula, that's the developers fault. The fact that the next game in the series Majoras Mask is a vast departure from Ocarina in almost every way except the engine. The game following that, was Windwaker and it's nothing like the former two either. If you don't like questing to find items to help further your adventure, maybe you just don't like adventure games.
>>
>>3854957
Is Zelda really this tedious? It came in the mail today and I was hoping it would be a fun experience with the map and manual only
>>
>>3853043
Yes honestly. SMB3 is a great game no doubt but Punch-Out!!'s combination of puzzle, memorisation, and reflex gameplay along with a colourful characters and great music lift it above it IMO.
>>
Donkey Kong Country 2 is not even close to be perfect, only the music is good.

Donkey Kong Country 1 is much better.
>>
>>3855240
This
>>
>>3852471
It was such a satisfying moment when I was able to reach megalopolis in that game.
>>
>>3855229
>great music

lol Punch-Out is a great game but that's the one place I'd differ a lot with your opinion
>>
File: Sword-of-Dawn.gif (952KB, 401x292px) Image search: [Google]
Sword-of-Dawn.gif
952KB, 401x292px
Sword of Dawn is the best weapon in the game. Nothing is as entertaining as beating SotN like you're a necromancer using Drac's own skeletons against him.
>>
>>3857168
I think the music fits the game really well, but I wouldn't listen to it outside the context of playing the game.

also, I was recently playing it, and I got a 1st round TKO on sandman on another world circuit. I feel accomplished
>>
>>3857323
I never used any of these fancy attacks in SOTN... how do you make that attack, anyway? Get the sword of dawn and then press what?

I broke the game with the shield rod.
>>
>>3857323
It looks cool as hell but I never really did anything other than dinging mobs for 1-2hp
>>
>>3849919
3 isn't even the best Mega Man on NES. So sick of this meme.
>>
>>3857168
the music in the wii version is tight though
>>
>>3849641

punch-out!! is the shit. smb3 is boring as fuck. smb1 is still the best mario game on any platform.

>>3849924
>Zelda: OoT has not aged well at all. It's pretty boring and linear with way too much story exposition. Worse, it ruined mainline Zelda with the same fucking brain-dead hand-holding formula for almost two decades.

not only has it not aged well, it was a disappointment on release. the hand holding began with link's awakening tho.

>>3852210
>these games about careful exploration are for adhd kiddies who don't have the patience for twitch action games

that's the most retarded thing i've ever heard.

>The first Legend of Zelda is so tedious that it wouldn't have been fun if it weren't for game guides from Nintendo Power and the like

get a load of this adhd kiddie.

>I always regarded mega man 2 as the worst in the series. People only liked it because they could beat it.

people like it because it took the concepts established by the first game (which was already great) and polished the shit out of everything. after that, the formula grew kind of stale.
>>
>>3863523
>>3854957
>>3855051
>>
>>3849641
The 70s was a garbage era for gaming. Pong wasn't just one of the most popular games, it was possibly one of the best games of the era. Text based adventures where you need to guess the developer's thought train is terrible. Most games lacked sound and so felt rather dull. Plus the Atari is heavily overrated, most games were made for 2 players and thus is terrible if you are a person with no friends. D&D is heavily overrated, the manuals were heavily boring to read.

The 80s were a disaster. We went from more garbage Atari games to the end of the decade with Nintendo. The NES was the worst console of all time. The music tracks drive me up a wall, the controls feel heavily clunky, and Treasure Master was just ridiculously tedious.

Doom was alright, but wasn't that spectacular. It was better than the other stuff at the time such as Wolfenstein 3d (hellhole maze), but it doesn't hold a candle to later games. The Catacomb series was an annoying series of guessing walls and listening to beeps. Heretic was Doom with a boring theme. Hexen was absolute garbage with respawning enemies galore. System Shock had a clunky UI and isn't much fun to play, but is leagues better than the RPG reliance of the second game. Dark Forces was nothing but blandness, Jedi Knight was very clunky and had a terrible engine with bad melee combat. Duke 3d was a game of finding the wall to blow up. Elder Scrolls Daggerfall was abysmal and buggy, Elder Scrolls Arena was better even if it got pretty boring.

DOS is a pain to use and using DOSBox makes me gradually get more miserable as time goes on. It can't even handle Quake at a decent resolution.

Never touched a Zelda, Mario, Metroid, or other game. Probably never will, there are too many games in the franchise I would have to suffer through and I like to play all the games in order.
>>
>>3863562
>NES is the worst console of all-time

Bro, you just went full contrarian
>>
>>3863571
This thread is for unpopular opinions, remember?
>>
>>3849641
/vr/ is filled too much with Doom stuff from 2017 and completely lacks people talking about 1994 PWADs. I want to talk about 11INHELL with someone that will understand me.
>>
>>3863579

well, as long as it's an informed opinion...

>Never touched a Zelda, Mario, Metroid, or other game

oh.
>>
>>3863613
My mistake with "other". Basically meant any long running franchise like the ones mentioned. Not every game out there. I just avoid any series with more than 5 games or so.
>>
>>3863571
> full contrarian
Is more often a good thing.
That's not an insult or saying he's wrong. That's saying he differs from the majority opinion. The majority opinion is usually fucking stupid. Saying someone differs from being stupid is closer to a compliment than not.
>>
>>3864118
Noting - he is wrong and possibly very stupid for that comment. But not because it's contrarian but because you need to be completely ignorant to not know of all the consoles and stupid to post that shit on a board about old video games.

There are so many fucking console failures even some that are financially successful. If he wanted to say the NES library was fairly shit and the hardware was actually underwhelming for what could have been produced he could try to make that argument and succeed to some degree. But to suggest that the NES was worse than say the Wii for example is just an extraordinary display of blatant brain damage. There were few good things you can say about the wii, and one that could compare to the NES was that it had Wii Classic Pro controller - which ironically were basically never utilized for anything but emulation which included NES games. The controller is good, shits on the NES controller bar none. Wii basically doesn't use it though and it's only worthwhile use is to emulate other systems. As a console on it's own merits it was a fucking failure of absurd proportions. Even if you listed all the shitty NES games and they were plenty you'd still have nothing on the Wii's fantastically shit library.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.