[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

has there ever been a more nostalgia-dependent game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

has there ever been a more nostalgia-dependent game?
>>
File: op.png (2KB, 140x81px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
2KB, 140x81px
Has there ever been a bigger faggot?
>>
95% of 80s home computer games
>>
[your favorite game]
>>
Yeah it is called MGS1.
>>
>>3847035
fpbp

Today has been an awful day on /vr/, what the fuck happened?
>>
>>3847040
monkey island 2?
>>
What does that even mean? What were people nostalgic for when it was released and was praised up and down?
>>
>>3847082
no, you dumbshit. in 1998 it was great, but it hasn't aged well. it's only kept afloat these days by nostalgia
>>
>>3847028
both versions of runescape
>>
How was it depending on nostalgia in 1998 when it won GOTY?
>>
>>3847084
>in 1998 it was great

Debatable. It would still have had the clunky controls and awful targeting system, but back then no one knew better. Same with Mario 64's awful camera system. Just because we didn't have better doesn't mean it was ever really great.
>>
>>3847102
Guys he doesn't actually think this, he is just saying it because he wants to get a reaction and a rise out of people. He's upping the stakes so he can beat out the other troll in the thread, don't give in.
>>
>>3847102
yeah, I would agree. I've beaten the game but by the time I got to ganon it became such a chore that I was really only going on because "I made it this far"

>>3847113
>anyone who doesn't love my favorite childhood game is just a troll!!!!
return to reddit
>>
>>3847113
Then if OoT's controls were the be all end all why did they ever bother refining them? Should've just left them alone and have BotW play exactly the same since 1998 got it so perfect.
>>
Pokemon.
>>
>>3847082
It's weasel-y phrasing. Back in the '90s we had different expectations for 3D gaming than we do now. For one, there was a desire for a game that was beautiful enough that you would want to live inside it. I don't think anyone expected Zelda 64 to be the first game to really hit that mark, but it did.

Nowadays there's the idea that Ocarina's gameplay or graphics or whatever have been so far surpassed by newer games that the OoT itself is no longer good, or can only be judged good by placing oneself back in that '90s mentality yearning for the first beautiful 3D digital world.

It's okay to dislike Ocarina but disputing its historical significance or influence on modern 3D gaming is tacky.
>>
>>3847132
op here, I would agree with you too. I certainly won't deny it's place in the history and evolution of gaming, but I personally didn't like it during my playthrough. I don't feel that very many 3d games of that era aged well to be honest. that said, I do love alttp. I guess it's just personal preference
>>
>>3847102
By that logic every video game right now that exists is garbage because hundreds of years later will have much better games.
>>
>>3847140
>nostalgiafags literally proving they're incapable of unbiased analysis
>>
>>3847028
>has there ever been a more nostalgia-dependent game?

I got this years after release, and several discounts later. Although we were barely into the sixth generation at the time, I was still very impressed with the game.

The textures are dated as hell, but details like that never bugged me. I didn't even pick up on King's Field until last year, and still very much enjoyed that game despite it being far more dated than OoT. Most room textures in KF are practically just solid colors.
>>
>>3847140
Most modern games are garbage, but not all. Some games end up standing the test of time because their controls ended up being perfect, like SMB. Then again it's hard to fuck up when all you have to do is press right and jump.
>>
>>3847176
>Then again it's hard to fuck up when all you have to do is press right and jump.

oooooh god. The fact that someone out there would actually say this makes me feel suicidal for a moment.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.