[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best version of Maniac Mansion? Is there something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: Maniac_Mansion_artwork.jpg (126KB, 256x341px) Image search: [Google]
Maniac_Mansion_artwork.jpg
126KB, 256x341px
What's the best version of Maniac Mansion? Is there something like Monkey Island: Special Edition for it? PC is okay but Android would be nice.
>>
the one for nes isnt bad if you want to play it on android
>>
>>3845845
Isn't SCUMMvr also on Android?
>>
>>3845850
If thats the case, there is a fully playable version inside of Day of the tentacle, the sequel
>>
>>3845829
NES version would be my rec, or Amiga if you want to play like some filthy european
>>
File: jeffu.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
jeffu.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
The only acceptable way to play this is using the spanish NES prototype version running on ScummVM for Dreamcast on a CRT and you have to pick Jeff
>>
>>3845829
NES version is heavily censorship.
Just get the sequel if it is available, the Remastered edition is quite good.
>>
File: MMdeluxe.jpg (89KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
MMdeluxe.jpg
89KB, 320x200px
>>3845829
Maniac Mansion Deluxe.

Exact replica of the original but with updated graphics and the bgm and interface from Day of the Tentacele added in.
>>
>>3846162
The 'prototype' uncensored version is very easy to find, and the NES version really is the best.
>>3846643
>fan games
>>
File: 1-2.gif (78KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
1-2.gif
78KB, 256x224px
Famicom version with superior Japanese sprites.
>>
>>3845829
If you're implying MI:SE ise the best version of MI you're wrong.
>>3846162
>Just get the sequel if it is available
What is this? They're different games, and MM is far superior.
>>
File: rapey-mansion.png (453KB, 720x375px) Image search: [Google]
rapey-mansion.png
453KB, 720x375px
>>3846671
ゴゴゴゴ
>>
>people seriously recommending the NES version
Just play it in Day of the Tentacle.
>>
>>3846796
>playing maniac mansion without sound

The NES version is pretty widely praised as one of the best ways to play the game.
>>
>>3846648
It's a fan remake (more like a port with cleaned-up graphics) but it's the best you can get if you want to play the exact same game with slightly updated graphics and a better interface. It really is the best version of the game.

Feels very professional.

Look at the gameplay if you don't believe me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=310ebryploE
>>
Amiga, Atari ST and EGA MS-DOS versions (all three are pretty much the same graphically) are the best versions of Maniac Mansion. Those are the ones I've played the most.
>>
>>3845829
Personally I always prefered the original C64 version played through ScummVM, and besides some benefits(like ScummVM offering saving and an actual controlable mouse), it's the most authentic Maniac Mansion you'll play. I always found the NES and DOS versions fugly.
>>
>>3846831
It's been around a long time, I know of it. I'm just not super into not-official fan-remakes of masterpieces. My favorite versions are DOS V1, and NES.
>>
>>3846890
autism
>>
>>3846856
This. The original C64 version is charming as fuck.
>>
>>3847723
Yep. Don't agree with what you're saying? Let's make a comment like 'hur dur, autism' or 'wrong faggot'.
>>
File: btn-watch-trailer-2.png (4KB, 171x171px) Image search: [Google]
btn-watch-trailer-2.png
4KB, 171x171px
>>3847723
It's not so unreasonable (or autistic as you so eloquently stated) to not be into fan made rehashes of one of your favorite games.
>>
>>3846643
>the bgm and interface from Day of the Tentacele added in.

I don't know why this would be considered a selling point. DoTT is a good game but it killed the tone and aesthetic of the original. Maniac Mansion is genuinely creepy despite it's comedy and has a fantastic B-movie vibe that the sequel simply lacks.

Maniac Mansion really does feel like an 80s horror movie.

Day of the Tentacle feels like a 90s Nickelodeon cartoon.
>>
File: interface.png (28KB, 539x129px) Image search: [Google]
interface.png
28KB, 539x129px
>>3848339
>a shitty interface with superfluous action commands feels like an 80s horror movie

Makes sense.

Really though, Ron Gilbert himself is using the same action interface from Day of the Tentacle for his new game that is a direct homage to the feeling of Maniac Mansion.

I don't know how having extra commands like "fix" and "pull" come into the equation. The game is a 1:1 polishing of the game's content otherwise.

Does dated point-and-click gameplay make things scarier for you?
>>
I can't play any version aside from the NES one because the music is too good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WsFRWuFBuk
>>
>>3846162
honestly i never got why people hated the censorship so much, the rest of the game is SO much better when you play it in scummvm

the best version is either DOS V2 or NES
>>
>>3845829
You know, I just realized I have no clue who the big face in the sky is on the cover.

Who is that guy?
>>
>>3845845

NES is the worst version of the game ever created.

Censored through and through.
>>
File: pepsi.gif (20KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
pepsi.gif
20KB, 500x384px
>>3850683
I guess the fact that you can't get literally raped to death in that version could be a problem for some
>>
>>3850683
music is sweet
>>
>>3845829
DOS V2 in scummVM
>>
>>3850683
The censorship is really not that bad, and as I've stated before, the uncensored 'prototype' is easily available, making for one of the best versions of the game.
>>
>>3845829
Probably the fan remake with Day of the Tentacle style graphics.
>>
>>3852860
What's the point of playing the game if you can't put the hamster in the microwave?
>>
>>3852876
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Maniac_Mansion_(NES,_USA)
>>
>>3852876
Have you not read the thread? There is a uncensored prototype.

Sad no one has said "Fuck it, C64."
>>
>>3852876
This is straight up the only reason I played Maniac Mansion. After I exploded the hamster I thought I was in too deep to quit so I just went ahead and finished.
>>
>>3852876
but you can
>>
>>3850116
Ron Gilbert, duh
>>
File: ding dong.png (5KB, 768x494px) Image search: [Google]
ding dong.png
5KB, 768x494px
>>3849224
>Getting away from Edna on keyboard only

Nothing was scarier than trying to move the cursor with the numpad on my 286 EGA with internal speaker sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIF8-yMkBaU
>>
>>3852887

I only ever played it on the Apple II (on which I played it all the way through). Was the C64 version much better?
>>
>>3852876
You can, but only certain characters can do it.
>>
>>3846813
Why exactly? I know it's censored, but what does it do to make up for that?
>>
>>3855896
great music and graphics
>>
>>3855896
great music and graphics
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.