[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IS THIS GAME GOOD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: latest[1].png (3MB, 1500x1093px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
3MB, 1500x1093px
I picked this up not to long ago
I know alot of people love this game.
I am currently stuck and losing interest in becoming unstuck.

What makes this game a classic?
Why should I keep playing?
>>
I don't like it because it has a shit story and boring gameplay, I really can't think of anything that distinguishes it
>>
>>3841991
Its "comfy" and "charming" as retards would say: a crutch to defend a totally mediocre game

It has pretty good art, and music. The gameplay sucks horribly though. The hitboxes for melee are so fucked up that you are basically forced to just spam magic to win.

It's not a great game, but its like 10 -12 hours if you know where to go.
>>
>>3841910
What made it a classic is the millions of kids who played FFVII and hungered for more. So they quickly discovered Chrono Trigger, FFVI and Secret of Mana. Needless to say, the 3 quickly got elevated to the status of best games of all time along with FFVII, because they weren't much worse. And then nintentoddlers realized these games are also on SNES, which automatically made them the holy grail of gaming. IGN, Game's Pot and the rest were quick to rearrange their top-100 lists to accomodate their new auditory to stroke their dicks for ad revenue. Ironically, now there's a meme that FFVI is better than VII.
>>
>>3841991
>>3841996
>>3842012
>all this salt
Absolutely delicious
>>
>>3842031
Why is it good?
make it 3 sentences or less toots
>>
>>3842034
It makes faggots like yourself mad because it's beloved.
>>
>>3842037
Not an argument.
>>
>>3842034
It is "good" for the same reason that "Sega never made a good game". Whoever has the most vocal echo chamber decides what's "good" or "bad" on the internet.
>>
>>3841910
the game isn't bad if you ignore that it's a broken mess
>>
>>3841910
A lot of people sing the praises of this game. While I won't praise games based solely on its nostalgia or place in game history I won't hate a game for being overrated.

That being said, SoM is not a good game. The unique combat system belies its boring story and gameplay. For a game that boasts adventure the stages are surprisingly linear. That unique combat system is really just very clunky and it becomes clear how arbitrary it is as the game goes on. Switching between characters is cool until you realize that they had to literally cage off enemies for them to be relevant and they could have just put all the functions onto one character. It's by no means difficult to switch between the characters but becomes very mundane very quickly. This game had a similar history to chrono trigger where it saw a revival as an "underrated classic" but falls flat in many places where chrono trigger shines. Namely being interesting at all. The game becomes difficult somehow simply by being too boring.
>>
>>3842078
Essentially, Final Fantasy Adventure (its 8-bit monochrome predecessor) is the superior form of everything they tried to do with SoM in a mechanical sense.
>>
>>3842031
>thinking I'm salty
I played it not long ago. It's fun, but its not amazing. A lot of stuff in it its really shitty.
>>
>>3841910
The game is great and is a classic but isn't without serious problems. It was planned for the SNES-CD and got chopped up and hacked together to make what existed fit and work on the cart. Play Seiken Densetsu 3 if you want a polished and properly finished game.
>>
>>3842078
You were supposed to play with friends, not control all the characters yourself.
>>
>>3842993
>SD3
>finished

The mana series is basically eye candy. Its gameplay is about as deep as a puddle.
>>
This game is just beautiful, one of my fondest childhood gaming memories. The music and graphics are fantastic. Yes, the gameplay may be a bit simplistic but it is a lot of fun. Things get more difficult in the final third though, where use of magic becomes mandatory.
>>
>>3841910
The aesthetics are good and the music is amazing, but the story is lacking, to say the least, and the gameplay is absolutely broken. It's a constantly frustrating experience unless you're in multiplayer because the AI for your characters gets stuck very easily and you can't exit a screen with them stuck. Also the menu system becomes messy with the more characters you have.

If you have an android device just download the apk for the android/ios remake. It fixes the gameplay almost entirely with refined AI and better menus and shortcuts, and even the story is better if you know a language other than English, as every other translation included in the remake is much, much better. In b4 "handheld (normie) devices are the least authentic way to play retro games", who cares, it's well documented that SNES Secret of Mana is the result of tons of cuts and half-finished ideas. It needed a remake and it got it. Try it out if you want to enjoy it.
>>
>>3842012
all of those games were considered legendary classics at the time they were released, years before ff7 came out. maybe you're thinking of earthbound that only got popular years later.
>>
>>3843939
Because they came out in US at a time when Zelda was still considered an RPG and Bernie Stolar said Western players didn't want FFVII.
>GamePro's review praised the graphics, plot, "first-rate gameplay" and "positively massive" world "dwarfing even Zelda"
>Edge's review said that Secret of Mana was better than contemporary role-playing games Ys I & II, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole.
For fuck's sake. When you have NO RPGs, of course every one you get is cult classic.
Compare this to DQV and FFV, objectively superior games no one talks about in the West, and it will become even more obvious.
>>
I remember reading a gamefaqs walkthrough about this game back in the day and the dude who wrote it said this game almost turned him religious.

That always seemed significant.

I never really enjoyed it though. Seiken Densetsu 3 was always my thing.
>>
in PAL regions if you wanted a squaresoft game it was a choice between mystic quest, mana or evermore

mana was probably the best choice there

though considering terranigma was a thing in PAL, it was probably better to forget about squaresoft and care about enix only
>>
>>3842037
REKT
E
K
T
>>
>>3842034
Extremely fun multiplayer gameplay with excellent music and beautiful, colorful graphics.
Too easy, toots.
>>
>>3841910
Such a fantastic game!
>>
>>3841910
I wanted this game but cost too much. Had to settle for Secret of Evermore for $5.
>>
>>3841910
>I am currently stuck and losing interest in becoming unstuck.

It's time to learn that not everyone likes the same things, and the biggest Secret of Mana fan in the world can''t make you enjoy it any more if it's not your kind of game.

It's my favorite of all the Mana games, but that's not a common opinion. If you like aspects of it we might be able to recommend something better though.
>>
File: 1466182513682.jpg (1MB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1466182513682.jpg
1MB, 640x960px
>>3841910
Don't force yourself to play games you don't like, asshat.

Fucking children.

SoM is one of my all time favorites, if its magic doesn't work on you accept that you're a kobold and play something else.
>>
>>3841910
I wish I could answer. I got this to play with the gf but about 5 minutes in she said she thought it was stupid and wanted to play something else. Unfortunately haven't played it since.

It's one of the more expensive carts if I recall; I think I paid $60 for it at our local retro game shop about a year ago.
>>
>>3844331
>m-muh nostalgic comfiness!

Look it's a decent game, 7/10 tier but it's no where near masterpiece tier.
>>
>>3842995
>play with friends
>pause every 2 seconds to cast a spell

You know what would have worked? A re-release during the brief period when there were Gamecube games using the GBA as a remote. No pausing needed. Change equipment and cast spells from the GBA screen while the onscreen action continues.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.