[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finally reached the end of this game. Worst final boss in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Necron.png (561KB, 641x479px) Image search: [Google]
Necron.png
561KB, 641x479px
Finally reached the end of this game. Worst final boss in the series? Seriously, WHAT THE HELL?!
>>
>>3841263
What emulator is this so I can use something else?
>>
>>3841263
you pretty much always end up fighting some kind of god in ff games, and secret black swan final final bosses are kinda common
>>
>>3841263
:/ I always felt like VIII and IX fell apart with the last quarter of the plot, which left me so sad because otherwise I really like those games.
>>
File: Hill_of_Despair_FFIX_Art_1.jpg (353KB, 834x888px) Image search: [Google]
Hill_of_Despair_FFIX_Art_1.jpg
353KB, 834x888px
Hades was supposed to be the final boss of IX and was going to be fought at the bottom of Necron's arena.

Also, in case you missed it, Vivi is the narrator at the end. He died.
>>
>>3841462 IV's ending was borderline too... VI and VII on the other hand had endings that were totally in line with the plot so far. They didnt seem to come completely out of left field like IV, VIII, and IX did.
>>
>>3841469
Yea, the whole lunar area of IV, the time compression plot twist in VIII, and the planets melding/soul recycling/angel of death/necron stuff in IX.... just seem to take the entire plot in a very different direction than what was going on prior.

I get that there was some foreshadowing of all that stuff earlier in each of those games, but it doesnt change the fact that i felt sort of robbed when the drastic plot twists happened in IV, VIII, and IX. It totally broke any suspension of disbelief that was present.
>>
>>3841263
Necrom fits thematically as Vivi's story, and one of the larger themes of the story, is the inevitability of death.
It's a little jarring to have him 'come out of nowhere', but thematically death was a presence throughout the whole story.
I liked how they didn't 'defeat' it, just fended it off till another day. But I admit, it could have been handled a little better, and ends the game on a bit of an anti-climax gameplay wise.
>>
>>3841468
Why did they put him as an irrelevant secret boss though?
Did Necron kick Hades's bony ass so hard, he supplanted him as Final Boss?
>>
>>3841263
I wasn't that bothered by it at the time. What really ground my almonds was the fact that they used a dumb Yoda quote from the Star Wars prequels in the US localization.
>>
File: meaning.png (892KB, 916x856px) Image search: [Google]
meaning.png
892KB, 916x856px
>>3841263
>>
>>3841263
This looks amazing
>>
>>3841598
They probably felt a generically meaningful angelic figure would better fit the adolescent existentialist BS they ass-pulled for the overarching themes.
>>
>>3841462
>>3841263
>>3841469
It think IX's ending is supposed to be kind of a joke about FFIV. At least that's always how I saw it.
>>
>>3842108
It must be, now that you mention it, considering the whole of the game is more or less ripping on the early Final Fantasies.
>>
>>3841263
Honestly the part that confused me the most about this was the fan theory about Necron being that tree monster, Soul Cage I think, you fought much earlier in the game. I don't know what's more stupid, that or Squall is Dead.

Granted Necron did kind of come out of no where I guess and I suppose people will try to tie him into something else in the game to make him seem relevant, but I don't see how people made the Soul Cage connection. But it's been a while since I've read the theory so all I remember about it was people saying since Soul Cage went, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I have seen the end of my life and it is not here" when you fight him that must mean he's able to see the future or some shit. When to me it just seemed like he was just talking smack in an attempt to intimidate the party.

I also have to wonder how much of the whole "Necron came out of no where" thing was because of the translation though. Didn't the US localization put fucking Star Wars quotes in it where there was none before?
>>
>>3841469
The Key to understanding VIII's ending is what Laguna tells them about time compression. That they have to concentration memories and use their emotional attachments to take them where they want to go.

Squall has abandonment issues and hasn't connected emotionally with anyone since his Sis left him at the orphanage. That's why he ends up at that point in time at the end of the game; and then ends up wandering aimlessly in a void because he doesn't have any attachments to take him back to his time - until he thinks of Rinoa.
So he's concentrating on his time with Rinoa...and she's a floating corpse in space, and he's thinks he is alone again.
Then we following the other Rinoa, the version that didn't die (remember Squall changed the past), and she fulfills her promise to find him.
>>
>>3842115
Yeah that's pretty much my take on it. The game is sort of a love letter to earlier FF games and is ultimately kind of a classic comedy, right down to the bad guy being not so bad and a big wedding at the end.

The real "bad guy" is actually kind of a joke who rears his head only long enough to get it chopped off by the heroes before celebrating,.

FFIX is one of my favorites in the whole series, but it's also the game I take the least seriously.
>>
>>3841263
There's a portion of his battle theme that's a throwback to Neo Ex-Death.
I love that shit.
>>
>>3842138
>FFIX is one of my favorites in the whole series, but it's also the game I take the least seriously.

It's very light-hearted and silly, there's no denying that. It's extremely refreshing after the angst of FFVII and FFVIII though, and despite its generally light-hearted nature it does have some sombre points here and there, which work better I'd argue because they're such a contrast.
>>
>>3842217
Yeah I agree with that as well. I take it less seriously overall, but the serious bits are still good and it's a wonderful game overall.
>>
god decided that after kuja and garland's actions, all life needed to be terminated. It was going to destroy the Life Crystal or whatever.

the heroes step up

its literally the perfect homage to classic FF game final bosses. Just get over Necron already. been defending him for close to 15 years now.
>>
>>3842249
>It was going to destroy the Life Crystal or whatever.
> been defending him for close to 15 years now.

15 years of defending and that's all you have?
>>
After the whole Genome thing, you couldn't help be suspect there was even more ancient and higher powers at work in the universe.

Hell, Garland was pretty out of nowhere when he made an appearance.
>>
>>3842270

I've written up longer spiels before but I also read through the thread and saw others post in my stead. I don't need to write an essay, anon.
>>
>>3842295
Powers that can be defeated by mere mortals.
>>
>>3842295
Pretty much, considering how Necron was referred as "deity" not God.
>>
>>3841263
Well, the whole game was a pile of shit desu.
>>
>>3844837
0/10
>>
Necron requires no foreshadowing or introduction - he just exists. Kuja's actions prove to him that his theory that all life seeks death is true, but your will to live refutes it - at least for the time being. Necron doesn't die, he just stops the fight when he's seen enough, then he leaves.

It's stupid to see him as a villain, because he is not.
>>
>>3841275
>use shitty emulator
>brain adjusts to flaws so I enjoy playing

Who else intelligent master race?
>>
>>3844837
The dankest meme!
>>
>>3845201
Well, that is a solid interpretation.
Then again, if only the story was better presented, nobody would protest.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.