[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old Computer General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: tandy-1000.png (543KB, 558x600px) Image search: [Google]
tandy-1000.png
543KB, 558x600px
Trying to revive the retro computer threads...

What are you using? Any goals for upgrades or new acquisitions?

I don't have anything with Windows 98 yet, so I intend to put that on my comp built in 2002. It currently only has linux on it. I also really need to install that CD driver for MSDOS 6 already.
>>
>>3840590

Anything built after 1999 might as well be running windows XP
>>
>>3840590
Love old comps
>>
File: hp150.jpg (113KB, 623x768px) Image search: [Google]
hp150.jpg
113KB, 623x768px
>>3840590

Trying to acquire one of these HP 150's, not very common since they weren't IBM compatible but they did have MS DOS. Also half-ass looking for an early TRS-80, Compaq Portable, and an Atari 520ST (although not 100% committed to any model).

It's neat to have older IBM compatible pc's but I don't really see myself using space for that. I'd rather just run dosbox. There's nothing I want to run on Windows 95/98/3.1, it's all DOS or stuff that runs on modern OS's with minimal tweaking. Although I'd make an exception for something truly odd like the Compaq Portable or the HP 100LX. Man that amber display on the Compaq Portable III was amazing, some of those old monochrome displays make my eyes bleed just thinking about them.

My collection got lighter after a recent natural disaster. All I've got (retro) right now is an HP 75C, those things can take a beating like you wouldn't believe.
>>
4rth for MSX is BEST
>>
>>3840590
>What are you using?
Currently using Microstar BX Master with slocket, pIII 733 and gf256 SDR. Waiting for Vortex2 soundcard.
Also, what is the best universal usb flash drive drivers for windows 98?
>>
File: IMG_04032017_104013.jpg (2MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_04032017_104013.jpg
2MB, 4608x2592px
Does any of you know a computer with the same output?
Pic is Sega SC 3000, video cable is anything but not cheap. So if there's a computer more popular with the same output it would be magnificent
>>
>>3841703
genesis/mega drive model 1 rgb scart
>>
>>3840590
Best retro computer
>>
>>3841707
Nope
I thought so when I bought it but neither my master system or megadrive cable worked :/
>>
>>3841782
Damn, good luck finding something that works
>>
>new acquisitions
a sound blaster 16 ct2230, I intend to stick my db50xg on it. I have some xg song and they sound sweet
>>
>>3840734
The whole point of building a retro gaming PC is for it to run on classic Windows

Computers from the early 2000s are ideal since the strongly exceed the requirements for every game but I had to manually hunt down 98 compatible drivers for a lot of the chipsets. Spent a whole weekend on that shit. Since OP is currently running Linux I'll assume he's okay doing this though.
>>
>>3840590
I have a TI99, but I want to get in to old Japanese computers. Probably start with an MSX2 when I'm ready to spend the money.
>>
>>3841703

good luck
>>
>>3842982
The TI99 was my first computer it's pretty bad for gaming and pretty much everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhfQF9075NQ
>>
>>3843297
Its not very good for gaming, pretty terrible for basic but it does have speech which is pretty cool, and Tombstone City is a legitimately fun game that was an original for the system.
>>
>>3842926
>strongly exceed
This >9000%
I'll never understand why so many people here have so much trouble grasping such a simple concept.

>>3842982
>>3843297
>TI99
What's that? Some obscure predecessor to the /4 and /4a?
The 4a was an awesome machine. Unfortunately not a lot of games made were made for it. Probably because not a lot of people spent $500 to play games. But it was a great machine and a joy to code for.

>>3843431
The speech module was an optional extra for $150, which was a months rent on a very good flat in LA at the time. Another $400 if you wanted to code in assembly. Want to save to disk, well fuck me. Adjusted for inflation I probably spent as much on this as my Amiga+toaster setup. Thank fuck for sub $5k Jap/Korean sub compacts.
>>
>>3843297

Dat Parsec, tho...

Q*Bert port didn't completely suck. Linkman was a decent Pac-Man ripoff.

Actually, my favorite TI games were the text adventures (Zork, Adventure) that could be loaded by tape.

But the C64 smoked it in pretty much every way, especially price. C64 could do voice, too, and didn't require an expensive add-on. We ended up getting a C64 about 4 years after the TI when we realized we really couldn't do shit with the TI.
>>
>>3840590
C64 was the best
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.