[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RetroArch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled 3.jpg (72KB, 1153x320px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 3.jpg
72KB, 1153x320px
I want to install RetroArch in my 32 bits PC and then went to the lastest stable build for windows and i got pic related. Do i need to download the three archives there or only the bigger one, and if i need the other archives in what order should i install them and where?
I can figure out the rest because everything is very well explained (except this point)
>>
>>3840558
If you're computer was old enough to to not support 64-bit, I don't think you'd be using such a modern OS.
>>
>>3840572
My computer supports 64bits, but i initially used my PC just for work and college so i just instaled windows 7 32bits, here are my PC specs:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3250 @ 3.20GHz
RAM 4GB
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

I just want to play some PSX and SNES RPGs , but anyway if retroarch have a stable build for 32bits PCs then i don't see the problem. The problem are those three archives and what to do with them.
>>
>I want to install RetroArch

You poor soul. You realize RetroArch is just a shitty frontend to a bunch of third-party emulators. It would be easier to download the individual emulators themselves, which require no installation and already have usable GUIs.

Quite frankly, having everything in a single frontend really isn't as convenient as it sounds when so much of the configuration has to be done through clumsy plaintext files.

RetroArch's only real usefulness is in having all-in-one setups like a Raspberry Pi to plug into your TV set. And that still involves clumsy plaintext configuration files.
>>
>>3840713
According to the emulation wiki the best PSX emulator is Mednafen but it also says using RetroArch to use Mednafen is better because of the interface and cores and all that shit.
>>
>>3840595
Curious, why did you install a 32bit OS? You're not currently able to access all of your ram, you're probably only at 3.2 GB of system ram with the remaining being mapped to your PCI-E bus.

And just download the big archive, its the one that includes all of the plugins out of the box, the smaller download dosn't. Thats all.
>>
>>3840814
>According to the emulation wiki...

Stopped reading right there. Many articles are written by people who have too close of a connection to the very software they're constantly pushing as "the best option." If the emulation wiki wants to be taken seriously, then it needs to do away with ratings and reviews, and simply provide neutral, encyclopedic coverage documenting emulators' functions and platform availability.
>>
>>3840873
Mednafen and a GUI frontend are the best solution on Windows because you can do video capture as well. Retroarch is best for hardware where you need a more minimalist solution.
>>
>>3840713
Are all anti-RetroArch faggots this deluded? How is downloading 20 separate emulators that have completely different configuration formats and featuresets going to make anything easier?

The part about touching configuration files is utterly incorrect too, you are not required to do any of that with current versions...
>>
>>3840873
Why don't you start editing then, if it's not good enough for you.

The only way stuff gets written on niche wikis is by people who have close knowledge about the software, if you think that's biased then go write your own wiki.
>>
>>3840814
Beetle PSX supports some things like high-res software rendering, OpenGL rendering, and Vulkan rendering that isn't supported in upstream Mednafen PSX.
>>
>>3840931
>How is downloading 20 separate emulators that have completely different configuration formats and featuresets going to make anything easier?

They're usually tailored for the specific thing that is being emulated, so the menuing and results are often more streamlined and consistent.

Don't misunderstand me, I do enjoy retroarch quite a bit as there is a lot of thing it does right (lower latency being a big one), but it does sacrifice a lot in the UI/UX department to make it generalized to suit the needs off... everything ever.
>>
>>3840901
>Mednafen and a GUI frontend are the best solution on Windows because you can do video capture as well.
I don't care about video capture. That is not the best solution for me.

>Retroarch is best for hardware where you need a more minimalist solution
Exactly what is a "minimalist solution" in your terms? RA using clumsy text config files may be "minimalistic," but that's certainly not one of its positive traits.

I don't have any choice but to use some of RA's assets as a backend to my Raspberry Pi, but let me be totally honest here: RA blows chunks. If there are some other alternative, I would be using it instead.

Let me point out that RA has had a tremendous number of bugs over the years, some of which are persistently ignored for no good reason. Having knowledge of RA's directories and config files does little good when the software decides to place saves and config files in the completely wrong directories while also mangling their filenames, and when many configuration options ostensibly do nothing at all.
>>
>>3840931
>Why don't you start editing then, if it's not good enough for you.

Is this a joke or trolling? I don't have creative control over someone else's wiki. Wikis are either autocratic, or tyrannies of the masses who will quickly revert and block you for questioning their "facts." I have neither the time nor the interest to participate in wiki drama. I'm perfectly fine with doing my own research and testing.
>>
>clumsy text files

Please tell me you don't think using the Windows Registry or some shit for settings is a good idea.

I'm sure you probably hate MAME too if text files are so horrible...
>>
>>3840962
>Having knowledge of RA's directories and config files does little good when the software decides to place saves and config files in the completely wrong directories while also mangling their filenames, and when many configuration options ostensibly do nothing at all.

What are you referring to here? Everything I use works as expected.
>>
>>3840975
The wiki is maintained by anonymous users, you can edit whatever the fuck you want and if it's not a shitty edit then it won't get reverted. No one ever gets blocked on that wiki either.

So get off your high horse and start editing if you think it isn't satisfactory.
>>
>>3840962
I say Mednafen is the best solution for Windows and you talk about Raspberry Pi. You know there are a ton of emulators ported to ARM on Linux which have nothing to do with RetroArch, right? What console are you trying to emulate?
>>
>>3840558
Download the 108MB one, it is a full install that has all the DLLs and shit. The other two are for updating existing installs.
>>
>>3840980
>What are you referring to here?

What? My post wasn't clear enough? If you mean specific examples:
>RA dumps WSC saves in the WSC ROMs directory. It also adds a bunch of garbage to the save file in the process. There's a WSC save directory somewhere that never sees any usage at all.
>Pretty sure the snes9x core dumps your save files in the ROMs directory as well, even though there's clearly a directly for saves..
>Some cores require manual control remapping due to RA insisting that a bunch of extra peripherals should be activated by default, causing ROMs to lock up and display messages such as "This game is not compatible with the SuperScope."
>Some cores have incredibly rapid inputs, and remapping or reconfiguring the controls has no effect. WSC comes to mind. Just barely pressing the D-pad sends your cursor flying all the way down to the bottom of the menu.
>RA choose save file extensions arbitrarily, and alternates between SAV and SRM. Not fun when you want to copy over existing saves from your computer to your RA device.
>RA refuses to do pixel-perfect scaling. Closest thing you can get is through the use of ugly shaders, which of course eats up additional CPU cycles. The emulation cores themselves are capable of pixel-perfect scaling; RA just won't allow them to do it.
>>
>>3840989

>What is "edit warring"
Wikis are just platforms for e-drama. Trying to improve upon someone else's pet article is a complete waste of time and energy. You edits will only be shut down by hordes of sockpuppets.

Stop bothering me with this.
>>
>>3841007
>>>RA dumps WSC saves in the WSC ROMs directory. It also adds a bunch of garbage to the save file in the process. There's a WSC save directory somewhere that never sees any usage at all.

Nope. Saves in the savefile directory. I don't know what "garbage" you're talking about because Mednafen Wonderswan core is saving the exact same file as the standalone application.

>Pretty sure the snes9x core dumps your save files in the ROMs directory as well, even though there's clearly a directly for saves..

Same. RA only puts things in the ROM directory if the savefile directory is not set. And it is set by default on current builds.

>Some cores require manual control remapping due to RA insisting that a bunch of extra peripherals should be activated by default, causing ROMs to lock up and display messages such as "This game is not compatible with the SuperScope."

Never seen that before in the 5+ years of usage.

>>Some cores have incredibly rapid inputs, and remapping or reconfiguring the controls has no effect. WSC comes to mind. Just barely pressing the D-pad sends your cursor flying all the way down to the bottom of the menu.

Doesn't happen here. WSC inputs work fine.

>RA choose save file extensions arbitrarily, and alternates between SAV and SRM. Not fun when you want to copy over existing saves from your computer to your RA device.

SRM is always used when cores go through the libretro SRAM interface for serialization. Some cores use their own save file routines instead and they might have different extensions.
>>
File: pixellate-gamma3.png (9KB, 546x546px) Image search: [Google]
pixellate-gamma3.png
9KB, 546x546px
>RA refuses to do pixel-perfect scaling. Closest thing you can get is through the use of ugly shaders, which of course eats up additional CPU cycles. The emulation cores themselves are capable of pixel-perfect scaling; RA just won't allow them to do it.

Don't know where to begin with this. "pixel perfect" scaling is most often inaccurate to begin with because most consoles did not display with 1:1 pixel aspect ratio. So you would need to deal with rectangular pixels and fractional scaling if you want an accurate pixel aspect ratio to what the real hardware used.

Second, shaders use the GPU and are not run on the CPU, so they don't waste any CPU cycles at all. Also, "ugly" depends on what shader you are using. The sharp pixel scaling shader known as "Pixellate" would hardly be considered ugly if you use it at sufficiently high scaling factors, since the blurring is exactly one pixel wide.

In any case, you can get square pixels in most cores by setting Aspect Ratio Index to 1:1 PAR and enabling Integer Scale.
>>
>>3841040

You might as well have condensed your post to, "It just werks on MY machine!"

Thanks, RA tech support staff.
>>
>>3841081
I don't know what to tell you, other than it is working fine on the current Windows build I have right now.

Maybe you had an old build that didn't have the save dir or system dir set by default. A lot has changed in the past 2-3 years.
>>
>>3841068
>"pixel perfect" scaling is most often inaccurate to begin with because most consoles did not display with 1:1 pixel aspect ratio.
But emulators can and do, so much so that you can manually rip 1:! sprites and objects from screencaps of gameplay.

>Second, shaders use the GPU and are not run on the CPU,
Yet the usage of shaders ramps RA's CPU usage.
>>
>>3841092
>Maybe you had an old build that didn't have the save dir or system dir set by default.

I stay up to date on the latest builds, and these problems can be reproduced on all platforms I've used RA on.
>>
>>3841096
>Yet the usage of shaders ramps RA's CPU usage.

I just tried loading up the most complicated shader, CRT Royale, and only noticed a spike in CPU usage due to shader compilation but it quickly went back to normal a few moments later.

Only the initial loading would tax the CPU, after it is running, it is only running on the GPU.
>>
>>3841102
I'm using the latest 64-bit Windows build and I can only reproduce the save file issues if I unset the savefile directory.

I've never heard about any issues with peripherals on SNES9x core, and I have no idea how to reproduce that. Nor the WSC input issue, maybe you had turbo enabled somehow?
>>
>>3841125
You're wasting your time, mate. You're dealing with a dude who knows just enough to dick around in his configs and fuck everything up but not enough to know it's his own fault.

Know when to walk away.
>>
Anyone tried the netplay in the newest version? I wanna try some playstation and n64 games later this week when my buddy has some free time.
>>
File: 1488436557139.jpg (429KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488436557139.jpg
429KB, 1280x720px
If you want more of an plug n play experience why not just use separate emulators? Retroarch is a swiss army knife that with enough effort and configuration runs anything from NES to PSP games, and stuff like controller config is shared accross all supported emulators so it's perfect for something like raspberry pi.
>>
>>3841176
Nah. RA just sucks.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.