[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

?
>>
Is this all /vr/ is good for... Rec. threads? As if a simple google search won't bring you tons of lists regarding the subject.
>>
>>3838918
It's pretty good when the question is
>I like this game, what other games will I like?
>>
None.
>>
>>3838914

If we're talking "must plays" then it's going to be the games with some kind of "cultural" significance for lack of a better term.

This are going to be the games that defined the genre, or had a massive cultural impact.

As such, totally traditional JRPG's:

>Dragon Warrior
>Final Fantasy 1
Both of these really defined the genre, for better or for worse.

>Final Fantasy 7
A cultural phenomenon. Everyone played FF7.

If you want to kind of muddy the waters, Ultima and Wizardry are definitely some that you need to play.

Everything else is really just going to be "my favorite JRPG in the list to validate myself"

Sorry, but Earthbound does nothing unique besides being quirky. That isn't enough to play the game. Same thing with Chrono Trigger. It realistically does nothing outside of standard JRPG tropes. It's a good game, and I like it, but it doesn't deserve a spot on the list for being pretty and having combat thats as deep as a puddle.
>>
>>3838914
Live A Live
>>
>>3838995
tropes don't exist, but chrono triggers problems are its extremely simplified combat which always boils down to spam your best attack to win.

Don't talk about tropes, you're smarter than that.
>>
>>3839002
>chrono triggers problems are its extremely simplified combat which always boils down to spam your best attack to win
90% of retro jrpgs had this same problem
>>
Name one JRPG with objectively good gameplay. You can't.
>>
>>3838918
Sometimes I really wish we had the same attitude as /a/ toward rec threads. It was fine at first but god is it tired and boring now.
>>
>>3839035
Muh dick....

seiken densetsu 3.. (i cant spell gud)
>>
>>3839035
Romancing Saga 3.

If you don't like this one you probably hate good games. Please leave the thread.
>>
File: 494889498.jpg (54KB, 639x478px) Image search: [Google]
494889498.jpg
54KB, 639x478px
>>3839035
Hoshigami. Only true patricians such as myself understand this masterpiece.
>>
>>3839035
Etrian Odyssey
>>
>>3839035
Romancing Saga 3.
>>
>>3839056
I wouldn't say that. It's fair not to like it given the subpar translation. I didn't give it the time of day until I played Saga Frontier and enjoyed it so much. I'd say SF has better gameplay than RS3 at that too bad it's so ugly.
>>
>>3839041
SD3 is
>debuff
>buff
>spam attacks
>heal when you get hit
>>
File: recommended jrpgs.jpg (518KB, 1700x1615px) Image search: [Google]
recommended jrpgs.jpg
518KB, 1700x1615px
It will be "my tastes versus your tastes". No one will ever be happy since the list will be too short or too long.
>>
>>3839096
>JRPG's
>half of them aren't JRPG's
It also has every Final Fantasy from 4 onwards, but doesn't include 12, which is laughable.
>>
>>3839107
XII is right after X. Also that is what I said, you have a different definition from other people on what makes a JRPG a JRPG hence why there really cannot be a good list for must play JRPG's.
>>
>>3839087
Like every other game out there.
>>
>>3839107
>half of them aren't JRPG's
I'm assuming you're just perpetuating the "JRPGs must be turn-based" meme?
>>
>>3839181
Some people don't think action RPG's made in Japan can be JRPG's, or Strategy RPG's made in Japan as JRPG's.
>>
>>3838918
>>3838914
Even worse, this guy keeps making threads with this same shitty OP because anyone knowledgeable will be tired of this crap already so the replies will mainly come from casuals with shitty opinions. It's part of a conscious effort to lower the quality of this board.
>>
>>3838918
Not a rec thread, a must-play thread. There's a difference
>>
>>3839032
the ones that don't are the ones worth playing
>>
>>3839096
>no panzer dragoon saga
shit list, discarded
>>
>>3838983
/thread
>>
>>3838983
>>3839867
so avant garde
FF4-6, FFT
Suikoden 2, V
>>
>>3839870
>no Suikoden 1
>no Earthbound
It's time for you to leave.
>>
>>3839872
Both miscellaneous to this thread. I'll lower the noise when it's your bed time, don't worry.
>>
>>3839096
The way it lists platforms is all weird. The sfc version of DQ5 is mentioned, but not the one of FF5.
>>
>>3839035
secret of evermore
>>
>>3839035
The PSX Tales games are all pretty fun gameplay wise and have good stories on top. (Eternia best gameplay/worst story)
>>
>>3839035
Valkyrie Profile
>>
>>3839035

Super Mario RPG
>>
>>3839872
Neither one of those JRPG's are anywhere above average.
>>
>>3839035
Lufia 3
>>
>>3839037
we need to sticky some vr must play lists or something.
>>
>>3839035
Soujinengi
>>
File: 1433104693458.gif (901KB, 436x284px) Image search: [Google]
1433104693458.gif
901KB, 436x284px
>>3839096
>has 8 Final Fantasy games (9 if you include Tactics) but not a single Breath of Fire, Mana or SaGa game
>has fucking Kingdom Hearts and TWEWY but no Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma

Did the person who made this shit list only start playing JRPGs last year?
>>
>>3839872
I'll second you on Suikoden I'd highly recommend it to any jrpg fan, plot characters, sound and scope of the game are all above average
>>
>>3841870
It's from /vg/, what do you expect?
Pretty much only /vr/ cares about going beyond american babby's first JRPG.
>>
>>3841912
Everything except mechanics, which are painfully dull. On the other hand you just power through the game without tinkering with your characters outside of equipping armor on them.

>>3841870
That would be a general recommendation list. For people getting into JRPG's or have played a few and are still looking for others I still wouldn't put a SaGa game on the list due to how they are mechanically different from other JRPG's.
>>
>>3839670
Everyone thinks it's overrated before the second disk.

Emulation for saturn it's in general not good.
>>
>>3841870
Breath of Fire sucks.

Its genuinely bad. 3 and 4 are barely passable, but they're so rife with garbage that it's not worth the effort.

Dragon Quarter is the best one.
>>
>>3843023
Why should they be barred from recommendations for being different? It's not like SaGa Frontier is some hardcore game the average guy can't enjoy.
>>
>>3839035
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario
Mario & Luigi
>>
None, JRPGs suck.
>>
>>3844139

They do. You just have do hold down the action button and when a boss comes up you use magic. If anyone wants to play a real RPG, go play Baldur's Gate, niggaz.
>>
>>3844143
>baldurs gate
You just have to point and click with warior. And buff, spells with cleric/wizard for boss battles. How is that different? JRPGS rarely have more involving combat, but where they excell at is customisation(think FF7,8). It's much more than downright equipping better gear like in most western RPGs. Of course most JRPGs have just as shitty combat and custamization, like FF4,6 or breath of fire.
>>
>>3838995
Are there actually any good dungeon crawlers like Wizardry that are more suitable for mobile gaming (eg on a portable emulation device, without the necessity to map on paper)? I love Etrian Odyssey in this regard because it's self-contained, and I think I'd love Wizardry if it had a mapping system and somewhat more obvious spell descriptions, but as it is I don't think I'll be able to get into it.

I just love character creation and team building, as well as exploration, but mapping on paper kind of requires you to play from home.
>>
File: wiz7psx.png (73KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
wiz7psx.png
73KB, 320x240px
>>3844163

Depending on what system you're playing on, Wizardry might work for you. Wizardry 7 and 8 both have an auto mapping function. Otherwise just google your console of choice and CRPG, you'll find something with more depth than JRPG.

I actually really like both styles of RPG, but I grew up on CRPG.
>>
>>3838914
"must play"
anyone that words it like this are hyperbole spewing morons that should be ignored
>>
>>3841213
I really hope the term "most play" hasn't replaced "recommendations" dear lord.
>>
>>3839035
Dark Souls
>>
File: bgb00091.png (3KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
bgb00091.png
3KB, 160x144px
>>3844163
There's Wizardry Gaiden 1-3 which are literally Wizardry on the Gameboy. They have an automap function tied to the DUMAPIC spell.

The spell names have clear patterns so they shouldn't be hard to get used to, particularly if you played games like DQ with a similar naming.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.