[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Y's Fifth Game.jpg (307KB, 617x876px) Image search: [Google]
Y's Fifth Game.jpg
307KB, 617x876px
What went wrong?
>>
>>3836965
Abandond bump style, also story wasn't as interesting as the others
>>
>>3837017
But bump system sucks.
>>
>>3836965
tried too hard to be like any other SNES RPG

shows in the music and graphics department
>>
>>3836965
literally my favorite of the retro ys . after this is 3. I like when they changed it up. probably helps that ys 5 was my first
>>
>>3837129
what the fuck this is the worst taste in Ys games i've ever seen

there's a reason ys 3 has been remade to be completely different and why they're interested in remaking 5
>>
>>3836965
no redbook audio
>>
Can someone give me a quick rundown on the proper ranking of the Ys games?
>>
>>3836965
The aesthetics were all wrong. That's the biggest flaw. The game makes a big deal of the setting being Africa/Egypt but save for the barely explorable desert you traverse midway through the game, it all looks like a generic RPG medieval setting: medieval towns, medieval ruins, even the music is exceedingly generic. The weird thing is that games before V HAD a medieval setting, like the earthbound towns of Ys 1, but the graphic design and the music made them memorable, and when you got to the ruins it all was alien and unique. V really dropped the ball there. It's not a bad game, it's just really generic and that's now what the series is loved for.

Gameplay wise the one big flaw I'd mention is alchemy being so underwhelming. It's like the main crux of the plot and the gameplay (supposedly) but it's kind of useless and needlessly dependant on trial and error.

The plot was also sort of underwhelming (the main villain shows up at the very last second), and while I know Ys isn't known for its AMAZING plots they tend to be at least involving or interesting. The weird thing is that the original story draft was a LOT better and had less holes. I hope they use that as the basis for inevitable remake. We all know they're gonna tie it in with the Eldeen at least, it'll be cool to see how.
>>
>>3837226
some people are definitely gonna disagree but i just love Ys Chronicles for some reason

it's my favorite one
>>
>>3837130
5 and 3 were a lot funner - puzzles in 1 and 2 especially get old quick
>>
>>3837065
Tell us why. I'll admit the collision physics in Dawn of Ys are weird as hell (no i-frames = rarely but annoyingly being pinned against a wall and dying in a split-second). But Ys I & II Chronicles has refined bumping so much I can't complain, and it's a fast, no-nonsense combat style overall. Ys V's prototype for later Ys combat has very little over its contemporaries. Jumping doesn't feel precise, the bosses are all trivial (without using health items), and magic went completely to waste aside from the generic fireball. I care more for a couple of dungeon layouts in Ys V than all its combat (the Zeibe and Kefin ruins are fun to explore and have two of the better bosses).

>>3837227
Ys V has so much potential to become one of the best series entries, if not the best. The original story premise gave Falcom so much to work with, but they spent development time on Legend of Xanadu II, Legend of Heroes IV, and Brandish 3 instead.
>>
>>3837504
>But Ys I & II Chronicles has refined bumping so much I can't complain
this, actually making adol bounce back instead of going through enemies makes it feel really great
>>
File: ysv27.png (23KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
ysv27.png
23KB, 512x448px
>>3836965
It's average, but easy to breeze through and has its moments. I'd say it's definitely worth playing if you like the series. The game's definitely rushed -- The Legend of Xanadu II that same year and it's a lot better in every way, especially programming. The original story draft (http://www2.jan.ne.jp/~psyzans/Kura/Kuramenu.html) is way more coherent, only lacking Stoker and Foresta's part of the story. The music, although orchestral, still feels like Ys and the compositions are great.

That being said, it had some great ideas and you can see how Falcom took what they learned about an overhead non-bump Ys game and applied it to Ys VI. It has enormous potential for a remake if done right and provided it follows the original draft as close as possible.

>>3837220
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpLAeLzDvfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1BI30jz2Tg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhPSonNiMJk
>>
File: ys4pce.gif (486KB, 512x232px) Image search: [Google]
ys4pce.gif
486KB, 512x232px
is that adol's kid on the far right?
>>
>>3838132
All three of them are.
>>
>>3838354
but the other two leave after she finishes telling the story
>>
Its not a bad game at all. I'd almost say it's underrated. Not because its an amazing game at all, its mostly just fun enough serviceable, but fans of the Ys series shit talk it to the point that one would believe Ys 5 murdered their family or whatever.

Its alright, decent graphics and music, nothing amazing. Decent gameplay, nothing new to the table. Survivable story, gets you from point A to B. I would say the biggest sin of Ys 5 is that nothing about it stands out.
>>
>>3838423
i'd say the music and graphics / art direction are pretty well above average in V - awesome even. I prefer the gameplay in V to 1-4
>>
>>3838429
>i'd say the music and graphics / art direction are pretty well above average in V
Compared to other late Super Famicom titles that it released along side, its run of the mill. But if you do compare it to the entire Super Famicom liberty it is fairly top notch.
1994-1996 Super Famicom titles across the board were looking pretty fucking nice.
>>
>>3838429
But the art direction was a mess. Egypt looks generic as hell.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.