[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/classiczelda/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

File: shadowy-animas.gif (2MB, 515x403px) Image search: [Google]
shadowy-animas.gif
2MB, 515x403px
So now that it's pretty much official the best Zelda game is not /vr/ related anymore and the pressure is off, can we have an actual discussion about which retro Zelda we like best?

For me it's pic related: innovative, atmospheric and still challenging.
>>
>>3835783
>best Zelda game is not /vr/ related anymore
What do you mean anymore? Twilight Princess was released 11 years ago.
>>
>>3835787
>TP
I enjoyed it anon, but it isnt best Zelda.
>>3835783
Since 98 till a few years ago, OoT was my choice. Before that while I liked them all a lot, AoL felt like the best one. But over the years, and after many replays, OoT lost its appeal, while Zelda II is still fun for me.
>>
>>3835787

sooo retro, i bet all the other kids at lunch play ps4 lol but not you, you still play retro gamecube
>>
You could argue that Nintendo have never released a 'bad' Zelda game. And picking a favourite is really just a question of personal preference.

While I love the NES original and it's sequel, I still think they have a few flaws and annoyances simply because of the limitations of the hardware or just due to the infancy of game design.

A Link To The Past was the first time Nintendo properly nailed it for me. And I also have a huge soft spot for Link's Awakening. I'm amazed that Nintendo manage to squeeze such a huge adventure on to the dinky GameBoy.
>>
>>3835783
Literally every time a new Zelda game is released its the "best" Zelda game.

People were saying the same things about Skyward Sword a few years ago too
>>
Ocarina Of Time is not the best Zelda game.
Also, if you're triggered because of that thread, nobody suggested that Ocarina isn't retro. We just came to an agreement that it marked the beginning of several traits and gameplay mechanics which came to define the "modern" Zelda era, shifting away from the conventions of "classic" Zelda.
It was released in 1998, so it's still retro.
>>
>>3835886
Zelda Cycle may-may.
>>
>>3835783
AS a kid I didn't like it that much; for my taste is was to gritty and did not have the same vibe as LoZ or Alttp, but after revisiting it a few years back I must say I enjoyed it more than expected. Striving away from the formula gives this a different take of the back then young franchise, and excactly this is what people are complimenting the newest incarnation of the franchise as far as I heard. Also, the fighting is kinda fun and link feels more athletic than his top-down counterparts.

Still I wouldn't call AoL the best classic Zelda,
'best' is still very subjective looking through nostalgia goggles anyway, but there isn't a zelda I don't enjoy when sticking it into the console (Didn't have the opportunity to play the CD-i ones, so...)
>>
>>3835894
>We

Speak for yourself.

OP has got a good pick but every (official) Zelda game from the /vr/ era is great stuff. I actually find it a lot harder to say what's the worst one, both /vr/ and not retro.
>>
File: rot-netro.jpg (16KB, 418x240px) Image search: [Google]
rot-netro.jpg
16KB, 418x240px
>>3835787
>>3835886

I remember people being excited when Wind Waker came out, what with the big world to explore and all (before, even, because of the controversial look) but afair Twilight Princess was pretty low key? I'm probably remembering it wrong because it's the one I never really got excited about
>>
>>3836171
>I remember people being excited when Wind Waker came out but afair Twilight Princess was pretty low key

You're kidding right? People almost drowned in a collective pool of cum when Twilight Princess was revealed.

https://youtu.be/VE2Dc1sx71U
>>
File: linksworth.png (166KB, 539x465px) Image search: [Google]
linksworth.png
166KB, 539x465px
>>3836171
> classic Link brown sleeves

I was kind of disappointed for some reason when they changed them to green in the final version
>>
>>3836487
It's a bad look. Too much green, and they're a disgustingly eye searing color too.
>>
>>3836325

In retrospect it's so weird to hear people pop for Adult Link on a horse but Wind Waker had such a divisive effect. But yes, there is a Zelda cycle and the early"10/10 PERFECT" scores have happened every single time so far. The reviewers who get said copies almost always give the good score in exchange for early coverage exclusivity and the like.
>>
>>3836487
I love that look and bought that figure when I saw it in BAM!
>>
>>3836904
I bought that when EB dropped the price of them to like $10
>>
File: 1488228730291.jpg (5KB, 125x205px) Image search: [Google]
1488228730291.jpg
5KB, 125x205px
>>3836487
>>3836634
You guys get it. Have no idea why they fucked with such an aesthetic combination.
>>
Eagle's Tower from Link's Awakening is the best 2D dungeon the series has seen, and Link's Awakening has the strongest overall set of 2D dungeons.

Link's Awakening is the secret best Zelda game.
>>
File: terada-link-will-fuck-you-up.jpg (246KB, 950x922px) Image search: [Google]
terada-link-will-fuck-you-up.jpg
246KB, 950x922px
>>3837548
I'd tone down the wacky tone of the dialogue and such, but it's my favorite Zelda as well (though I'm probably not being objective, since it was also the first one I ever played)
>>
When will people stop comparing completely different kind of games with each other?

The retro Zelda games are not comparable to the modern Zelda games. You can compare all top down Zelda games with each other and you can compare all 3D Zelda games with each other. But if you try to compare a top down Zelda game with one of the 3D ones it just gets silly.
>>
>>3835886
Literally nobody said Skyward Sword was the best Zelda game. All I remember non-journos saying about it was that the controls were weird. I agreed, but only because I was playing on Dolphin with an xbox360 controller so it was bound to be awkward for me anyway

>>3836171
I and most people I knew back then thought wind waker looked too kiddy and just wanted a next gen OoT. Then TP came out and I realized I never should have asked them to try and remake OoT with better graphics. TP is fine, but there's just so much padding bullshit and everything about it is so unnecessarily huge. Afterwards, I was able to appreciate Wind Waker and rightly conclude it was the better game
>>
>>3837548
People seem to forget all the advancements LA had over LttP. It was most definitely a proper sequel, and had a huge influence on OoT. Ever since I played through Links Awakening the first time, LttP has always seemed like archaic clunky shit when I've replayed it. LA is the oldest Zelda i can play that doesn't "feel" old (i.e. the top down formula was perfected with it whereas in the first and 3rd games the kinks were still being hammered out)
>>
File: dead-mans-volley.gif (705KB, 245x351px) Image search: [Google]
dead-mans-volley.gif
705KB, 245x351px
>>3837847
The funny thing is, you probably believe you're the one that is *not* being shallow. Comparing Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World for example WOULD be pointless: the only real overlapping thing is the little red and blue guy you control.

3D Zelda games though carry over the exact same core overarching design elements of ALttP (or LA), simply wrapping them in their respective generations' gameplay trends (and cautiously building upong them too).

I'm yet to see whether the "totes new direction for reals" of the latest one is really that, at all. The open world concept does have big implications in a game's flow, but I really doubt there will be any actual freedom to build a customized experience per player in the end beyond the usual Zelda story progression constraints.
>>
>>3837871
The 3D games play completely different from ALTTP and put way more weight on different aspects. Trying to compare those games is incredibly dumb. You can look for similarities but that doesn't change the fact that someone who liked a 3D Zelda game may be completely put off by ALTTP and someone who liked ALTTP may be completely put off by the 3D games.
>>
>>3835884
>You could argue that Nintendo have never released a 'bad' Zelda game.
The DS games are shit
>>
>>3838037
Phantom Hourglass is bad. Spirit Tracks is surprisingly great.
>>
>>3835886
What no, every new zelda gets shat on till the next one comes out. Guess breath broke the cycle.
>>
>>3838052
We're still in the opening days when the consensus is "Wow!" The shitting-on phase will begin once the normal fans stop talking about it and the shitposters become the majority.
>>
>>3837865
>Literally nobody said Skyward Sword was the best Zelda game.

Get ready to cringe.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2011/11/11/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-review
>>
>>3838052
You ever notice this didn't start happening until Wind Waker?
>>
>>3838457
Plenty of people hated Major's Mask on release, now it's one of the most beloved of the franchise.
>>
>>3838608
This
>>
>>3838608
Is it? How well did the remake do?

Remember that popular opinions in certain Internet circles aren't very indicative of actual popular opinion. I say this as someone whose favorite Zelda is MM.
>>
File: 20050513.jpg (1MB, 1948x957px) Image search: [Google]
20050513.jpg
1MB, 1948x957px
>>3838295
Paid-off game reviewers don't count. Actual players didn't like the game.
>>
>So now that it's pretty much official the best Zelda

Nigga you had no intention of having a real conversation about any of these games if you start a thread like that. When a Zelda thread is just arguing about which game in the series is best it's gone to complete shit. The only good threads are ones that just focus on a single game and talk about it for its own merits. Which is what you pretended to ask for but you knew where this would go.

With that said yeah Zelda 2 is fantastic. I just played it through for the first time recently. I didn't find out about the life spell til I was ready for the fifth dungeon. How long did it take everyone else to find it? Any of you tried going through the game without it?

Also, something I thought of, is it possible to get to thunderbird without knowing the final spell? Do you ever actually need it before then? Because getting to that point just to realize you can't do anything against him would fucking suck.
>>
>>3835783
zelda 2 is the secret best zelda. i also loved the sequel that was made several years later, shadow of the colossus.
>>
>>3838784
Man like the first two weeks I remember all the online user reviews being nothing but praise, and anyone who said they didn't like it got absolutely shit upon. But yeah after the retard fanboys became outnumbered by people capable of thought, everyone fucking hated the game.

For some reason, that particular bit of fanboy corporate loyalty has stuck in my mind. Maybe because I think the game is borderline indefensible, or because I acted the same way when I was like 13 and that disgusts me. I dunno. Skyward Sword sucked.
>>
>>3835783
>So now that it's pretty much official the best Zelda game is not /vr/ related anymore and the pressure is off, can we have an actual discussion
You couldn't have fucked that up more, OP.
>>
>>3838815
Skyward Sword did have one stretch of the game that was legitimately great - namely the Mine and Pirate Ship dungeons, but it goes downhill fast after that point. That good section I feel was enough for fanboys to convince themselves that the whole game was good.
>>
>>3838608
>game is just a rom hack of the last game in the series
>even more linear and even more fetch quest ridden
>requires a $20 add on to play
>time limit for a series known for no time limit

Gee I wonder why it had an icy reception
>>
File: sweet dreams.png (460KB, 820x614px) Image search: [Google]
sweet dreams.png
460KB, 820x614px
I was going to say Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventure are the best, but they are not retro, so I will mention only the Zelda games released before 1999.

For 2D, it's the Oracle games. I think they have a nice gimmick, I like how both games are completely different, and I like the concept of rings. They feature a normal yet good overworld, great soundtrack, and useful items. I really like them, to the point that it's really satisfying to hear the sounds of the sword slashing, the hurting sounds from enemies, and the explosion sounds when you defeat an enemy. I believe the Oracle games are an improvement over Link's Awakening.

For 3D, It's OOT. I could have chose MM, if it wasn't for the time limit and the short amount of dungeons it has. OOT has the standard, yet the best formula of Zelda 3D. I can't say anything to it yet, because the last time I played was since 2002. I need to replay it.
>>
File: Links_Awakening.jpg (77KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Links_Awakening.jpg
77KB, 256x256px
>>3835783

Links Awakening>Link to the Past>OoS>OoA

...if I were to base my decision off of how many times I've beat them all. I must have beat Links Awakening a few dozen times at least.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.