[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Member me, /vr/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13

File: coleco_chameleon_hero-ed.jpg (291KB, 1278x779px) Image search: [Google]
coleco_chameleon_hero-ed.jpg
291KB, 1278x779px
Member me, /vr/?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (517KB, 1600x1433px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
517KB, 1600x1433px
Can't wait to play games on a cheapo capture card!
>>
File: console_map2[1].jpg (100KB, 696x474px) Image search: [Google]
console_map2[1].jpg
100KB, 696x474px
I have a confession

I still have a tiny shred of optimism for Kevtris's core-changing SD loading FPGA console

Somebody slap me
>>
>>3834738
>I still have a tiny shred of optimism for Kevtris's core-changing SD loading FPGA console

Kevtris can actually make it.

That was the difference.

Kevtris was originally on that faggots Coleco Chameleon team back before it was even called the Retro VGS afaik. He left due to differences or pay disputes I think.

Kevtris is a technical genius. But the dude can't make a good youtube video to save his life.
>>
>>3834553
totally forgot about it
>>
File: image.png (244KB, 620x243px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
244KB, 620x243px
I wanted a blue one.
>>
>>3834553
This was the Dashcon of video game consoles.

No one actually wanted to put any effort into making it a reality; they were just so in-love with the idea that they wanted it to exist without putting in any real effort.

Gas the hipsters; retro war now.
>>
>>3834738

>I still have a tiny shred of optimism for Kevtris's core-changing SD loading FPGA console
Uh, what?
>>
>>3834553
>Member me, /vr/?
Yeah you're my dentist, right? At least, he had one of those things attached to the wall...
>>
>>3834553
zimba 3000?
>>
Um... my wife says it doesn't look as good as the Retron5.
>>
>>3836879
Your wife is a peasant.
I'd rather play on real capture card hardware.
>>
>>3836605
He wants to build an fpga console like retro avs but that can reflash its own fpga to physically recreate all kinds of consoles. As proof of concept he's already released software for the analogue nt mini that does it for a few platforms already.
>>
File: AV-37-1228768613.jpg (20KB, 551x308px) Image search: [Google]
AV-37-1228768613.jpg
20KB, 551x308px
>>3834553
My wife's dentist was crushed when it got cancelled.
>>
File: jag-jagunit.jpg (30KB, 331x297px) Image search: [Google]
jag-jagunit.jpg
30KB, 331x297px
>it's literally a toilet

WHAT

WERE

THEY

THINKING?
>>
>>3836950
They were inspired by toilet design. That's what.
>>
>>3836879
>>3836881
THE
WIFE
AND
I
>>
>>3834553
haha what a joke it was
>>
For real, how feasible would it be to actually make a new console that plays carts?
>>
File: fhigudhmhddpzgdmx9yj[1].jpg (17KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
fhigudhmhddpzgdmx9yj[1].jpg
17KB, 620x470px
>>3838347
It's done
>>
>>3838347
Cartridges are currently less expensive to produce than discs, and we've already seen the switch over on both the PS Vita and the Nintendo Switch. I imagine the trend will continue.

As for larger cartridges, like I assume you're referring to, I doubt we'll ever see anything like that again.
>>
physical media needs to go the way of the dodo already (talking about modern games)

i can't remember the last time i even handled a "disc"
>>
>>3838376
I'm thinking more along the lines of what this thing was supposed to be. Like a physical homebrew player. Running off SD cars might not be a bad idea, though.
>>
>>3838436
You can make cartridges as big, inefficient and relatively expensive as you want.
>>
>>3838442
>inefficient and relatively expensive

Nigga, flash storage is dirt cheap and super fast nowadays.

Solidstate storage is much better than optical media.
>>
File: smugN64.png (411KB, 900x401px) Image search: [Google]
smugN64.png
411KB, 900x401px
>>3838459
>I warned you about discs, bro.
>>
>>3838459
And what Anon was thinking of was cartridges that didn't run from flash. You could still make a cartridge that stored its data on an eprom but it would be bigger, less efficient and more expensive than using flash.

Maybe what someone should make is a "console" that's basically just a docking bay that supplies power, controller connections and outputs to "cartridges" that are actually entire Raspberry Pis that do everything. That might satisfy peoples cartridge fetish while also giving developers significant freedom to create novel games.
>>
>>3838494
That's fucking retarded.
>>
>>3838515
The entire concept of a "new retro console" is retarded, but there are enough retarded people out there to sell retarded things to if they're designed and marketed smoothly.
>>
>>3838535
A console using carts isn't retarded, but using EPROMs for the storage and putting the entire fucking console in the cart is.
That means you effectively have the re-buy the entire console with every god damn game.
>>
>>3838535
What's inherently retarded about it?

I think it would be neat to have a new console that focuses solely on retro-style games without internet connectivity.

Wouldn't necessarily have to use carts.
>>
>>3838546
Just making a console that uses flash memory doesn't make it a "new retro console" for that you need some sort of intentionally limited technology which is retarded when there are already plenty of legitimate retro consoles with limited technology on which to develop but the idea still keeps popping up so it's obviously appealing to some people. Making a console shaped docking bay for a retro cartridge shaped RPi is one way that you could produce an intentionally limited video game system without having to actually design and produce anything new besides the cases. Presumably many people would "hack" the cart that came with it by opening it up and changing the SD card but creative developers might stuff webcams or microphones or whatever into a "new cartridge". As more powerful RPis come out the console would grow and simple games could be run on cheaper RPis, or you could even make super cheap cartridges with NOACs on them for example. I think it's a fun idea. It's obviously not the easiest way to do it but if it had the right defunct video game brand name slapped on it and it was marketed right I'm sure it would sell.
>>
>>3834571
B-but the Chameleon did nothing wrong!
>>
File: retro-bit-spot2.jpg (65KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
retro-bit-spot2.jpg
65KB, 800x600px
>>3834738
I believe in Kevtris' console. The NT Mini is basically a prototype of what we can expect. If it's like the NT mini except with no cartridge slot and USB ports instead of NES controller ports, I'm all in. From what I understand it's supposed to be more powerful though, with a FPGA powerful enough to emulate 16 bit consoles and maybe even 32 bit ones like the PS1 and Saturn. That shit would be bananas. I really don't see the need for actual controller ports, since there are plenty of USB controllers out there as well as adapters for classic original ones.

My only concern is that the NT Mini's UI is as dull as a dishwasher and not the most user-friendly thing. I know he doesn't have the resources to make a buttery smooth dashboard experience like an iPhone or PS4, but hopefully the GUI is at least clean and easy to navigate.

That console from Retrobit was such a wasted opportunity. On the outside it looks cool but when you boot it up it's a piece of trash like something you'd buy from a mall vendor during Christmas shopping season.
>>
>>3838572
>To be retro the console needs to be limited
>So let's shove a fucking raspberry pi in every cart.

Not only is that fucking retarded, that's not even close to how a retro console even works, let alone the fact you think flash storage is to advanced, but a 1ghz ARM processor with 1 gig of ram isn't.

The way a new retro console should be made is with a main CPU, IN THE ACTUAL CONSOLE, SO IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE RE-BOUGHT FOR EVERY FUCKING GAME, with a cartridge slot, and and expansion port.

The expansion port would be used for accesories, and the cart slot would have two main busses: A storage bus, which would address flash memory holding the ROM, and a RAM bus, which would allow either the RAM to be expand if needed, or for a coprocessor to be included, or some other hardware expansion.

Now, you don't want the customers re-buying the same expansion chips with every game, because that drives costs up, so there should be planning as to how strong the hardware should be, without making it just another modern console.

The ability for expansions could be dropped though, making the carts just a flash chip, as the whole point of expansion ports back in the day was that hardware was progressing fast enough that much more powerfull hardware would become available after the console's release.
This becomes a moot point when the retro console we're making is already under powered by today's standards.
>>
>>3838738
Raspberry Pi Zeros cost $5. Firecores less, NOACs less still and those are costs that go along with production. Developing a new platform requires large upfront investment.

Besides, with trendoid stuff like this it's all about the appearances and the image.

Let's imagine TecToy/@tGames were to get its head out of its ass and read the NES Mini on the wall that regular people want quality retro consoles. They produce Genesis shaped consoles that come with Genesis shaped carts, the basic one included with the system having a FireCore cart that has Genesis games and a hidden SD slot for easily loading more but at the same time right beside it on shelves are cartridges containing Rpi1s running Sega CD games, Rpi2s running Saturn games, and RPi3s running Dreamcast games. People would buy them. Some people would even buy multiple ones with different sets of games on them instead of adding games to their SDs just because believe it or not there are people who still don't pirate games.

>>3838710
I dunno, having USB adds a layer of transcoding that would eat up cycles. I'd prefer if he just used a pre-existing controller format like Playstation 1/2 since there's plenty of adapters for that too.
>>
>>3838710
Or actually I guess since it would be recreating the actual architecture of the consoles it might as well just have a bunch of controller ports that became active for the original controllers for each console though some people might not like needing to have that many controllers around. Would be the most legit way to do it though.
>>
>>3838771
Basically you want to make a Microvision.
>>
>>3838380
(You)
>>
>>3838771
PS1 ports would be an alright option.
>>
File: 20170206_001953000_iOS.png (179KB, 571x689px) Image search: [Google]
20170206_001953000_iOS.png
179KB, 571x689px
>Kevtris may die before finishing the Zimba
>>
>>3838919
why is this thread so concerned about kevtris?
>>
The coleco chameleon would have revolutionized the retro game market and open it up to everyone. The collector/reseller community actively sabotaged the project so secondhand games would stay expensive. Prices have only risen since then.
>>
>>3839016
Because the man is a goddamn genius and the only person actively working on a multi-system FPGA machine. Even if he manages to release something up to and including 16bit consoles I'd be very happy.
>>
File: cybermorph.jpg (18KB, 583x584px) Image search: [Google]
cybermorph.jpg
18KB, 583x584px
>>3834553
Where did you learn to fraud?
>>
File: FF_158_gizmondo1_f[1].jpg (26KB, 500x246px) Image search: [Google]
FF_158_gizmondo1_f[1].jpg
26KB, 500x246px
>>3840695
From the best, Baby!
>>
>>3836934
Is it safe?
>>
>>3838710
>implying we will ever have FPGA Saturn clones
nobody understands that thing and nobody ever will
>>
>>3841083
It'll also be a while before we even get FPGAs with enough gates to even attempt that.
>>
>>3838779
USB with a bundled breakout might work.

I sort of cringe when I see those retrons/super retro trios with tons of controller ports but also I care a lot less about controllers than others so idk.
>>
>>3840460
I was waiting for the Chameleon redpill guy to chime in :)

Can't believe all these cucks don't know all the Soros cash flooding through the collector and reseller community to shut down the Chameleon. Sad!
>>
>>3836918
FPGA can by definition be reprogrammed, no buts about it.
>>
>>3841343
No shit.

How many FPGA clone consoles have you seen that can re-flash themselves on the fly though?
>>
>>3841343
But Kevtris has functioning cores written and he's flashing them on-the-fly in the console. Don't you think that's pretty neat?
>>
>>3838459
>>3838494

This is the intelligence of this board.
>>
File: ps4-ti10[1].jpg (29KB, 550x230px) Image search: [Google]
ps4-ti10[1].jpg
29KB, 550x230px
>>3841407
>>
>>3841407
What's wrong with the first one?
>>
>>3840472
Does he have anything to do with the MIST?
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki
>>
>>3839016
because he looks like has aids
>>
>>3834553
yikes
>>
>>3838494
Isn't that the retron?
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.