[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any retro similar to pic related? Preferably for n64

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53KB, 256x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53KB, 256x330px
Are there any retro similar to pic related? Preferably for n64
>>
>>3834475
N64 didn't have any RPG's worth a shit.
>>
>>3834481
DaS is barely an rpg so that's okay
>>
Closest you'll get is ocarina of time and Majora's mask, which is what the combat in dark souls is based on. Still very different games from it though. If you want something closer to dark souls youll want to check out zeldas 1 and 2 on the NES.

Castelvania 3D might be what you're looking for, but I haven't played it and have heard mixed things about how good it is.
>>
King's Field
>>
>>3834483
Dark Souls is one of the most pure, and prime examples of what an RPG is.
>>
>>3834490
Action rpg maybe
>>
>>3834475
Zelda II
>>
The Legend of Zelda actually.
>>
>>3834491
Are you one of those turn based RPG freaks?
>>
File: 1cf.jpg (53KB, 692x808px) Image search: [Google]
1cf.jpg
53KB, 692x808px
>>3834564
DaS is only rpg-esque game other than Fallout 2 that I play sooooo no I guess
>>
Buck Bumble comes pretty close
>>
>>3834572
Are you mentally retarded?
>>
>>3834585
>only play 2 rpgs
>only one of which is turn based
Am I missing something? Does that alone make me a "turn based rpg freak".
>>
File: 1392584359983.png (17KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
1392584359983.png
17KB, 512x480px
>>3834475
Wizards and Warriors
>>
>>3834497
This was legally the game I recalled when first playing demon souls. Makes Sense I love both games
>>
>>3834475
Ever play Quest 64? It has a lot in common with DaS
>>
>>3834636
both rushed and empty games with mediocre gameplay? :-)
>>
>>3834497
First thing that came to mind for me. Medieval setting and punishing difficulty
>>
>for N64
Zelda OOT and MM
Possibly Nightmare Creatures
>>
>>3834487
This and Shadow Tower. They're practically proto Dark Souls.
>>
Wonder Boy
>>
>>3834475
Nightmare Creatures, not even joking
>>
>>3834593
the only RPG you played other than dark souls are fallout 2 and you are acting like a authority on the genre by only playing 2 games from it
>>
Try playing both Casltevania 3D.

They are not stellar games, but if you don't keep complaining about them not being SotN, and try to play them as some kind of proto-Souls, they will be very nice.
>>
>>3834475
Crusaders of Might and Magic
>>
>>3835118
btw PS1 version
>>
>>3834490
not even close

it's basically a glorified action game
>>
>>3835035
This. I feel dumb for not immediately thinking of these when racking for N64 games.
>>
File: castlevania-u-v1-2-snap0011[1].jpg (197KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania-u-v1-2-snap0011[1].jpg
197KB, 640x480px
>>3835035
this
>>
>>3834475
Symphony of the Night. Same metroidvania progression. You level. There are OP weapons and magic. It's got the spooky motif/soundtrack. The bestiary has a lot of overlap. Enemy and boss patterns are important. NG+. There's a dodge (back dash.)
>>
>>3834485
>If you want something closer to dark souls youll want to check out zeldas 1 and 2 on the NES.

This anon is wise. Both of these games are high stakes, super secret-filled, and based mostly on skill rather than any sort of luck.
>>
Souls fanbase was a mistake.
>>
>>3835169

Now that I think about it, here is what is most impressive about SOTN:

At the time a lot of people knocked it for looking like a glorified snes game.

Look at it now. It has aged better than anything on that console. It is every bit as good as it ever was, and has insane replay value. Then you find out about the upside down castle years later in life and r evist it yet again.

Not that ff7 or whatever your favorite ps1 game is aged bad, I'm just saying it doesn't impress you in the same way picking it up now.
>>
>>3835197

Zelda 2 is an exercise of madness. anyone claiming this game is easy is a fudging liar.

1. Poor translation. To the point where almost all of the directions or clues said by villagers are gibberesh, or Error.

2. Why didn't you think to just walk across the ocean?

3. Intense boss battles. If you aren't using save states or have the pattern memorized you have no hope of winning some of the later fights like the ghost, shadow link or dragon. When you're low on health you can easily get blasted by a meta hatchet boss or armor guy with small knife.

4. You have to time your level up to bail you out or long dungeon runs.

5. Three lives and back to the columns with Zelda after Ganon scares the living shit out of you at game over.

Think I'm going to play it now. Sounds great.
>>
>>3834490
>this hack'n slash game, a game where you hack and slash
>is one of the most pure, and prime examples of
>a role playing game, a game where you play a role

Completely different worlds.
>>
>>3835368
I was a big advocate for 2D when everybody was going 3D. The tech just wasn't there until the Dreamcast. Games like SotN still look great today, and of course the mechanics are solid too. My personal favorite JRPG for PS1 is Wild Arms. They took a smart approach: there's far less to render in a battle scene, so they only did the battles in 3D. The rest of the game looks like a nice late era SNES game.
>>
>>3835378
I'm currently on the 3rd palace and this boss is driving me mad.
The knife throwing is just absurd and I rarely get close enough to hit him.
I was having a pretty good time up until now.
>>
Retro confession time : I enjoyed CastleVania 3D and found it to be vary memorable.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.