[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad levels in good games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: clankers cavern.png (666KB, 677x381px) Image search: [Google]
clankers cavern.png
666KB, 677x381px
Bad levels in good games.
>>
File: BT.jpg (85KB, 757x597px) Image search: [Google]
BT.jpg
85KB, 757x597px
>>3832657
>>
>>3832657
I disagree. Clankers cavern is one of the few water levels in 3D platformers I like.

Rusty Bucket Bay is the weakest level in that game, imo.

>>3832668
I agree with this one. I'm one of the few people who actually likes BT as much as BK, but Grunty Industries is pretty bad.
>>
>>3832678
>Rusty Bucket Bay is the weakest level in that game, imo.

Nah.
>>
the swamp palace in link to the past.
there's nothing fun to do, most boring boss in the game, have to throw a bunch of switches and sit around waiting for water to drain. they put the hookshot here because they knew it would be the only redeeming factor, prove me wrong.
>>
>>3832706
I thought Misery Mire was worse but they're definitely the two worst dungeons in the game.
>>
>>3832710
i actually kind of enjoy misery mire because that first screen with all the wizzrobes is so fun to blast through with the fire rod, but it does have that one dumb room where you have backtrack a bunch if you run out of bombs. and a shitty boss. i guess i'm with you on this.
>>
>>3832668
Grunty Industries is probably my favorite level in the game after Hailfire Peaks but the jiggy in the Waste Disposal Plant made me want to tear my hair out. In hindsight it wasn't difficult, you just needed to backtrack, but I had no idea.
>>
>>3832678

the problem is in a great game with only 9 worlds two are rusty water themed when none would have been more acceptable. no lava/fire level? instead double rust water! i love banjo kazooie but thats why BOTH those levels are weak. also clankers feels a bit like the worst mario 64 level dire dire docks, submarine in a big room you swam underwater to get to, its a weird theme that somehow got repeated with so few n64 platformers.

>>3832706

i thought you meant misery mire, i think its weaker but that might be because of the hookshot, once again big one eyed water boss is a repeated theme that didnt need to be.
>>
Okay phantasy star 1 on master system . those endless labyrinths near the end of the game with dragons inside.
>>
The entire last episode in Quake 1
>>
kidnap in thief 2
>>
Mystic Cave from Sonic 2. I hate everything about that level. The graphics are boring and dark, the music is not my favourite (but I not unforgettable); and the enemies and spike traps cause a lot of waiting.

The boss is arguably ok though. I like they made the bullshit unescapable hole in the level a portal to the new secret level in the Whitehead remake. At least one Super Sonic run spent in that hole.
>>
>>3834398
Yeah, it was a bit off. It started to wear out my patience with the game, and I just wanted it to be over and done with by that point. At least Quake 1 has one of the most unique ways to kill a final boss in a game ever.
>>
>>3834531
Can you tell me what that is? I've only played later Quakes.
>>
>>3834398
>>3834531
I liked Quake's 4th episode. Though the enemy thats exclusive to it is pretty annoying.
>>
>>3834569
you mean the final episode or the boss? the final episode has more maze-like level design as it was made by some other guy (can't remember the name) that also liked more realistic archectual design rather than fun game maps. sandy peterson? he also worked on the majority of doom 2 from my knowledge.
>>
>>3834601
so many deaths were had to that enemy. it just fucks your shit up if you're slow with movement
>>
>>3832678
My least favorite level in that game is honestly Click Clock Wood, but I understand it's a fan favorite. I just never enjoyed playing it.

Clankers was really fun to me.
>>
>>3832657
You posted the wrong level.
>>
File: Freezeezy_Peak_entry.png (865KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freezeezy_Peak_entry.png
865KB, 1280x720px
we can at least agree this was the best level, right? I guess treasure trove cove and mad monster mansion are good too.
>>
>>3832657
Yuk
>>
File: deus ex liberty island.png (552KB, 996x651px) Image search: [Google]
deus ex liberty island.png
552KB, 996x651px
I absolutely love Dude Sex, but the first level is kinda dull compared to the rest of the game:

>too much open space
It's based on real life location so of course there is going to be lots of space, but in this case the large space also means lack of detail. You can go in lots of places, but there is really no reason to.
>cold dark lonely feeling
There's barely anything going on. Again, it's based on real life location, and it's unpopulated by civilians, so the only characters you meet here are the UNATCO and NSF troops. It does have some charm in it with the trees shaking in the wind and the cloudy sky, but it still feels very dark, cold, and lonely place.
>shitty first impression
This level does no justice for the rest of the game. I've heard many people turning down this game after just playing the first level. Deus Ex is all about those sleazy city streets, alleys, drug dealers, bars, clubs, shops, gangs etc. just cyberpunk stuff in general, and the Liberty Island has barely any of that.

Of course after beating this game and then playing it again you can truly appreciate this level, but the main problem with this map is how overwhelming it is. I'm not saying DX should had thrown everything in your face on your first five minutes, but maybe showing how JC walking through the sleazy city to the docks, getting in the boat, and then starting the first level would've had given the first timers some eye candy to see that this game does indeed have more to it.
>>
>>3834569
>Can you tell me what that is? I've only played later Quakes.

Sure. The final boss is a sort of amorphous blob. There's this weird projectile things which flies in and out of him repeatedly, and a teleporter nearby. When the projectile thing is inside the boss, you go through the teleporter, and it instantly kills the boss. It's something called telefragging; a staple of multiplayer Quake whereby if one player is standing on the other end of a teleporter, and another player uses a teleporter which ends up at that end, then the player who was standing there is instantly killed. I like how they worked that mechanic into the story itself; it's not something you ever saw from FPS campaign modes. Single and Multi player were usually very different experiences, although admittedly for good reason, usually.
>>
>>3835770
I always find it weird that people didn't like the first level.

It's probably because I played every Hitman game before starting Deus Ex, but I absolutely fell in love with Deus Ex from the very first level, for the exact same reasons that I loved Hitman. You feel like this badass, stealthy assassin in a semi-open-world setting, knowing that there's probably a better way to carry out the action that you're currently doing.

The first Hitman game came out the same time as Deus Ex though, so I can totally see why people weren't as into it at the time. It's a very unique game on the whole, and ended up still being mind-blowing for me even when I played it years after it was released.
>>
>>3834871
>Click Clock Wood
>Bad

It's one of the best levels in the game imo. Climbing the tree is a bit of a challenge but it's the last level so you would expect it to be challenging.
>>
>>3835780
>Backtracking through the same world 4 times with only slightly different variations
>Good

You go the brain problems.
>>
>>3835770
I loved the open layout and the various objectives being achievable in multiple ways.
>>
File: goldeneye007control.jpg (181KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
goldeneye007control.jpg
181KB, 1024x768px
fuck Natalya and those guard that shoot through the glass
>>
>>3835805
AHHHH FUCK THIS SHIT
>>
The shmup level in Gunstar Heroes.
>>
>>3835770
I imagine the tutorial level would make for a better first impression. It's got some important world-building in it as well.

If I remember correctly the demo back in the day started with Liberty Island. I hadn't played a stealthy game before that, so I just got my ass kicked and forgot about Deus Ex for about 10 years, before I tried it again and learned to appreciate it.
>>
>>3835805
At least you get to kill Boris.

Right?

... right?
>>
>>3832657
Haha
>>
Sandy's City levels in Doom 2.
>>
>>3838235
I don't think the other levels were any good either. Doom 2 had an unpolished mess of a level pack.
>>
>>3838284
True, but Sandy's levels were in a league of their own of awful maps. His Quake 1 levels were pretty bad too.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.