[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragon Quest thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 49

File: dq3fc_jpn_front.jpg (653KB, 1500x1020px) Image search: [Google]
dq3fc_jpn_front.jpg
653KB, 1500x1020px
complain about everything edition
>>
File: jessica6.png (543KB, 700x987px) Image search: [Google]
jessica6.png
543KB, 700x987px
>tfw the best dq isn't retro
>>
Am I where I should be in VII?
I just beat Cumulus Vex, but it took me a couple tries, and even then it was tough.
Hero lv. 25
Slime (SL3) -> Drake Slime -> Serial Quiller -> Berserker (SL3)
Ruff lv. 23
Warrior -> Fighter -> Priest -> Paladin (SL7)
Mervyn lv 22
Mage -> Priest (SL7)
Aishe lv 22
Dancer pre-mastered -> Warrior (SL7)

I was watching a walkthrough and that nigga had four heroes and was level 30. I think he was over-grinding but I also might be underleveled.
>>
>>3832150
Oh, Hero also mastered Healslime.
>>
>>3832142
But thats wrong you fucking moron.

>pic very related to all the non plebs
>>
>>3832142
the gameboy isn't retro anymore? are we moving back in time?
>>
>>3832232
I also thought VIII was the best until I played this.
I only played the SFC version, I hope to eventually play the PS2 version with party chat.
>>
V or VI? Ive played 2 on GB and VIII on 3ds and want to try DQ on SNES
>>
>>3832412
5, easily.

6 is too bloated for its own good and turns to shit halfway through.
>>
>>3832420
Yeah i've heard similair complaints but for some reason the characters look really cool to me in VI. I'll def try V first though
>>
>>3832142
VII is retro though anon.
>>
File: 1485176049481.jpg (179KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485176049481.jpg
179KB, 800x600px
I just got V and 1+2 in the mail today. I have VI on the way, but I haven't found a good price on 3 yet.
>>
>>3832142
The best dq is not even a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUeqKpReOk
>>
Am I the only one who really can't stand the partial battle animations? I'd rather the sprites not be animated at all than having an attack animation, but no idle animation.
>>
wee bairns
>>
I'm still mad that there's no modern compilation of DQ 1-3 on any DS.

>inb4 just hack and emulate

Fuck off; DraQue's the only thing Squuenix does that deserves money anymore/
>>
>>3834194
>not having a gba sp
>in 2017
>>
File: 1459818654576.jpg (130KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1459818654576.jpg
130KB, 1280x1440px
>>3832787
>To think dqstars and dqmj3pro are gonna have collabs/tieins with the anime.

>to know we will never see those in usa

>mfw
>>
man I hope HighSpirits dies this time running 1-9
>>
>>3834314
As in, remakes like they made for IV - VIII.
Every Main DraQue game could have been on the DS, but they apparently don't want us to have it.
>>
>>3834616
VIII hasn't seen a remake yet.
Only two ports.
>>
>>3834639
3DS version is a total remake my nigga
They fixed and added a lot
Don't say shit you don't know about
>>
>>3834791
VII is a total remake.
VIII is a port. Just because it's a port doesn't mean that they can't change shit. See Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D. They're also ports.
>>
>>3834795
>Adding two new party members, one of them non-optional
>New post-game dungeon
>New ending
>New monsters
>New quests
>Not a remake
>>
>>3834801
A port in which things are changed is generally called an Enhanced Port, anon.
You want another example? Link to the Past on GBA.
>New quest
>New post-game dungeon
>New ending
>New monsters
>New boss
>New attacks
>QoL changes
>Bug fixes
But nah, that's totally a remake from the ground up according to your logic.
>>
File: xD.jpg (185KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
xD.jpg
185KB, 720x540px
>fight Rockbomb in Dragon Quest Monsters 2
>he spams move that does 50 dmg to all my monsters
>"Well, that's okay, I'm obviously supposed to lose this fight anyway"
>actually supposed to win
Man, fuck this game.
>>
>>3832131
dragons quest is sweet
>>
File: Thanks.jpg (88KB, 487x726px) Image search: [Google]
Thanks.jpg
88KB, 487x726px
>>3832131
>tfw got the DQVIII 3ds release and are playing it back to back with DQIII on the gameboy color

What a time to be alive
>>
File: Dragon Quest III Classes.png (36KB, 470x370px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest III Classes.png
36KB, 470x370px
>>
>>3836192
I wonder if they based Anna from Fire Emblem off of the female merchant.
>>
>>3836985
I haven't played FE but as a general rule, any time you see something from Japan and think "I wonder if that's a reference to or inspired by something from DQ", the answer is yes, it is.
>>
>>3837034
Was that a Jojo reference?
>>
File: slime.jpg (270KB, 763x498px) Image search: [Google]
slime.jpg
270KB, 763x498px
Thinking of starting up the monsters games an have some questions.

First, is this a series where I should just skip to a certain one or should I start with the original?

Also while I have a hacked 3ds I have no idea how to get the patch for the translation of the 3ds remake to work. Is it fine I just play the GBC version or should I really play the 3ds remake?
>>3836049
>not playing III on snes
Why?
>>
>>3832787
VALIEEEEENTEEE FLYYYY

> Manga's awesome btw.
>>
>>3837368
I know I'm going to get a lot of shit for this, but I think the GBC version of Dragon Quest Monsters is incredibly slow and generally awful. Terry moves so goddamn slow. Giving your party actual commands is a pain in the ass. The menus are slow and laggy. The sprite art is ugly, even for the Gameboy. The randomly generated dungeons get boring after the first three. The catch rates are abysmal (which practically defeats the whole point of the game). And the battle system is absolute trash. For example, you can still attack empty space when an enemy dies, which is a problem that Dragon Quest V fixed six years earlier. You should absolutely just skip to Joker. Joker's scouting system is leagues above the meat system, and the fact that monsters now have ranks makes breeding SO much easier without a guide.

Then again, I have not played the 3DS remakes, but I've heard that they added a ton of new monsters and overhauled the game mechanics, so it seems like more than just a basic remake. Just don't play the GBC version.
>>
>>3837368
>not playing III on snes
Not that anon, but I honestly prefer the visuals and audio on the GBC more than I do on the SNES version.

Coupled with a heaping dose of nostalgia, and you have my reasons for liking III on the GBC.
>>
Has anyone tried patching the Echoing hat back into the PS2 version of V?
>>
>tfw you'll never be able to experience the series for the first time again

Man, what a year that was.
At least DQXI looks nice,and its not a MMO, so there's that.
>>
>>3837853
Do we know anything about the game really?
Is it going to use vocations, or be more like DQ8 with its skill point system? A combo of both? Or something completely different?
To me it looks a lot like DQ8
>>
Thoughts on the mobile versions of the games? Any decent one?

I played the Romancing SaGa 2 remake on android and, even though it punishes you for having too many encounters and you can't avoid shit, it's actually playable and enjoyable
>>
>>3838116
DQIV might be worth playing, mostly because of the party chat, which was absent in the DS version.
>>
>>3837858
We don't know much at all.
There's more info coming on the 6th or the 8th, though. I can't remember which day.
>>
>>3838171
I hope we get a release date soon. I'm buying a PS4 for XI.
>>
>tfw Mervyn stuck as jester during solo mission
>>
Finished DQ3's bonus dungeon a couple hours ago and already tried all wishes.
I'm playing the GBC version and I was wondering if I should cheat to get all medals to access the second dungeon (there's no way in hell I'd be able to get them all in this lifetime). Should I? How is it?
>>
>>3838379
just wish for more
>>
Ok for real on map encounters are actually worse than random encounters
>enemy spawns in a small corridor
>enemy spawns in a small corridor right after you fight the other enemy that spawned in a small corridor
>enemy spawns in a door
>enemy spawns right on top of you
>enemy spawns right on top of you in a door
>>
DQIV on bluestacks or DS?
>>
File: final battle.jpg (322KB, 850x523px) Image search: [Google]
final battle.jpg
322KB, 850x523px
>>3838379
It's honestly not worth it. It's not terrible but it's a simple dungeon and really not worth it.

This is why i suggest DQIII on snes as the best version. A shitty bonus dungeon is not worth it for the beautiful graphics and sound of the snes remake. For it's time DQIII on the go was great but today I can't really recommend it.
>>
I wonder if I should play VI on SFC or DS

For me it's better graphics (imo)+better translation+monster recruiting vs party chat, which I really like. Also I don't own dq6 on ds, so i would have to play on my PC, but I have dq6 for the SFC on my 3DS, so handheld comfiness factor is also there.
>>
What's this party chat thing you keep talking about?
>>
does disc 2 get better or is it always this shitty
>>3838840
lmao
you just missed like all of the character development if you aren't baiting
protip: press b
>>
>>3839052
Disc 2 is pretty shit, but it's short, and the final boss fight is the best in the series imo, so at least you have that to look forward to.
>>
I feel like I'm the only one who likes Maribel.
>>
>>3839104
I like Maribel
>>
DQ7 is alright but not that good and while I haven't played every game in the series it's probably my least favorite of all.
>>
>>3839112
Good. Someone else likes Maribel.
>>
>>3839104
I like all of VII's main cast beside Aira. I feel they were sillier which I like.
>>3839118
Different tastes I guess, my absolute favorite of the series.
>>
>>3839104
I like Maribel in party chat but she sucks after you get her back in disc 2
Starts low leveled and dies to a strong gust of wind
>>
Would you buy the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI if it came out over here?
>>
>>3839930
I never say no to Dragon Quest on the go.
>>
>>3839930
I would buy the PS4 version and pirate the 3DS.
>>
>>3839930
I'd pirate it desu
Freeshop works by downloading from eShop servers so I wonder if they count that as sales
>>
Maribel or Mervyn?
Maribel is much much much closer to becoming a Druid, but Mervyn is a higher level, can take a hit, and can deal at least enough damage without using mp to make a difference in random encounters.
I just awoke the spirits, Mervyn is a level 6 jester after mastering sage, and Maribel is a level 4 Troubadour after mastering sage, jester, and dancer.
>>
>>3840145
Also I feel pretty far behind on my vocations in general, even though I grinded a bit in the beginning and almost never ran from enemies. The only person in the place I want them in in Ruff (Champion). Hero is a Golem on the way to PlatKing and Aishe is a Pirate on the way to Hero.
Is it pretty much necessary to grind or can I maybe max out before the end without it?
>>
File: DQMJ2_-_Killerpillar.png (87KB, 313x240px) Image search: [Google]
DQMJ2_-_Killerpillar.png
87KB, 313x240px
I can't be the only one that never knew the caterpillars from Dragon Quest III had a face, r-right?
>>
>>3840306
oh shit i never saw that either
>>
what's the vocation level cap on the metal slime tablet?
>>
Where can I get a mad cap in dq7
>>
File: dragon-quest-vii-ad.jpg (46KB, 640x325px) Image search: [Google]
dragon-quest-vii-ad.jpg
46KB, 640x325px
This might sound like a weird question, but is there a hack/code to get Kiefer back in the party in DQVII 3DS?
I know there was one for the PS version (I used it on my second playthrough), but can't find anything for the 3DS version.
>>
3DS or PS1 version of VII?
I'm pretty decided about which version to play of each game, but this one still is a question to me.
>>
>>3840415
Original's much slower, has a longer prologue, better puzzles, pure pixel art in the battle sequences, job skills are incredibly broken but hybrid skills are annoying to obtain, and a more accurate script at the expense of decent typesetting and consistent editing. Also even more party talk dialogue, you even get to use it during regular encounters and boss battles.

Remake has a much more streamlined beginning at the expense of any difficulty in the puzzles, runs much faster and has overworld monsters roaming around which makes grinding less tedious, but the resolution on the 3D graphics is pretty poor despite the decent character models and the draw-in distance is disgusting, you take five steps and sometimes the whole island decides to load in. Runs noticeable worse than the Japanese version due to someone fucking up the coding during the translation, when a dialogue box pops up the frame-rate dips a notch. Random dungeon maps makes grinding for Monster Hearts much easier but most of the maps aren't great to begin with. You can't even see the new monsters in your zoo after you capture them, and they're locked once Squeenix takes the servers down. The new post-game story maps are interesting from a plot perspective. Job system is far less broken when you get to advanced classes, but as a result you'll either have everyone as Godhands or Heroes. No hybrid skills, only class exclusive ones.

Localization is pretty baseline for post-VIII games, if IV and V were the absolute nadir of the shitty puns and accents actually ruining the game's atmosphere and VIII and Builders were the least offensive, this is somewhere in the middle. I've only played the 3DS version and I had fun with it, couldn't tell you if the original is the superior experience, just what I've heard in these threads and seen for myself.
>>
>>3839104
I usually hate tsunderes but somehow Maribel is one of my favorite DQ characters.
>>
>>3840463
There's so much wrong with this post it's not even funny.
>>
>>3840476
Care to explain? As someone who just beat the PS1 version of VII, I thought he did a pretty good job summarizing it.

>>3840415
3DS version. PS1 version is noticably buggy, to the point where the game softlocked while I was job grinding and I lost 6 hours of progress.
>>
>>3840497
he's absolutely incorrect about the pop-in
>>
>>3840415
3DS just because of reduced class grinding time
>>3840497
3DS is pretty buggy too desu
One time I got stuck in a wall
Also using whips can create loud sounds as the sound for enemies being attacked seems to stack
Slowdown while using menus and going through textboxes
And the Maribel glitch, which is preventable but gamebreaking if you don't know about it.
>>
>>3840532
one more: sometimes the enemy you run into is completely different from the one you fight
>>
>>3840415
I love the PS version, but man, the 3DS one is much more enjoyable.
>>
>>3840401
>there was one for the PS version

Share it.
>>
File: DQVII3DS_-_Kiefer[1].png (110KB, 229x358px) Image search: [Google]
DQVII3DS_-_Kiefer[1].png
110KB, 229x358px
Eh, when I started DQ7 I actually thought Kiefer would end up as a villain (just look at that expression), but he ended up being a bro.
A bro who made a terrible decision, but a bro.
>>
Where to start with Monsters?
I have a hacked 3DS so those Japanese ones are fair game
>>
>>3840687
Anything with Terry.
>>
>>3840687
Joker or Terry's Wonderland 3D
>>
>>3840753
I thought Joker looked cool but I hear it's kinda trash
>>
>>3840775
I wouldn't call it trash, but it does have some issues. You might as well give it a shot though because the Joker series is the franchise within the franchise right now.
>>
>>3840532
>>3840604
Oooooh, just found a new one!
When kasnooze is bounced, the enemy won't be shown sleeping
>>
File: DQIX_-_Gem_slime.png (493KB, 740x770px) Image search: [Google]
DQIX_-_Gem_slime.png
493KB, 740x770px
I love these things!
>>
OK fuck vocation grinding. I'm gonna max out the vocations I'm on and keep the Hero on Slaughtomaton and switch Aishe back to Pirate for the final battle. Either that or hack in some bumper bonus balls. I have 2 tombola tickets and have been trying to savescum one, but that takes even longer than vocation leveling itself!
>>
>>3840753
I heard there's this one english patch for Terry's Wonderland 3D, is the game good?

Joker 3 looks nice (and probably would be my choice) but translation is "never ever" anyways.
>>
>>3839052
I never played Dragon Quest

Asking to decide which versions I should play
>>
Is there a pastebin with the recommended versions, at least for the first playthrough?
>>
>>3842284
The closest we have is this:
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest
>>
>>3842278
Party chat is where your party characters have dialog amongst themselves about whatever is currently happening. It adds a lot to the game.
>>
So I set down 3 like....6 months ago, and I picked it back up and I've got no idea what to go and what to do.

Is there anyway to figure out what to do next, or should I just reset?
>>
File: dqiiibox_c1.jpg (70KB, 418x403px) Image search: [Google]
dqiiibox_c1.jpg
70KB, 418x403px
>>3842748
My only clue is that I'm on a boat? And I've got one level 2 or something Sage.
>>
>>3842278
Start with V on PS2
VII, VIII, and the remakes of IV-VI all have party chat
IV only on android though
I say PS2 because the DS versions all have written accents everywhere
>>
>>3842748
>>3842750
well you got the boat soooo... just explore.
3 allows for a lot of fun exploration and wandering
you'll eventually find out what to do, maybe even take some side quests on the way.
>>
>>3835481
I've had a lot of moments like this with boss fights, when you actually win it's pretty gratifying

DQ actually expects you to die pretty often, unlike other JRPGs that just give you a game over.
>>
>>3842756
I love how everyone blows the accents out of proportion.
They're not nearly as bad as you're saying. They're not "everywhere."
>>
>>3842775
Okay okay
Spell names are also better in older translations
And you gotta admit at least IV is terrible
VII also has some thick accents for almost every new island
V and VI actually do okay but I still prefer fan translations
>>
File: 1445810990307.jpg (85KB, 804x802px) Image search: [Google]
1445810990307.jpg
85KB, 804x802px
>tfw about to play Caravan Heart knowing what happens in Dragon Quest VII
>>
>>3843843
Don't worry, you don't need to know anything about VII to play Caravan Heart. There's no real connection, pretty much the same way the original Dragon Quest Monsters has no real connection with Dragon Quest VI.

I played Caravan Heart just this summer without having ever played VII, even. Only played VII once the remake released.
>>
>>3843890
>the same way the original Dragon Quest Monsters has no real connection with Dragon Quest VI.
Did you forget about the Gate of Reflection? That's some of the most heavy foreshadowing I've ever seen in a video game
>>
>>3843921
I did.
But there's still not much connecting VII and CH
>>
>>3832131
Why hasn't the creator of Dragonball sued the living shit out of the creators of this game?
>>
>>3843932
Because the creator of Dragon Ball is one of the creators of this game, you ironic shitposting fuck.
>>
>>3843843
It's not a problem. It takes place before Dragon Quest VII anyway.
I did the same and it made Dragon Quest VII more enjoyable when I played it later (some recurring characters, themes and locations).
>>
>>3832131
wasnt this part of fortune street
>>
>>3842756
I decided to play following the game order using patched SFC versions if available, DS otherwise, and V for PS2

I'm pretty sure that after doing I+II+III I'll have to stop for a while, though
>>
File: 1454387810397.png (28KB, 186x208px) Image search: [Google]
1454387810397.png
28KB, 186x208px
>>3843925
>>3844171
>Story is actually related to Dragon Quest II instead
What the hell is this
>>
>>3844764
Welcome to Caravan Heart.
>>
>>3834389
Joker 3 has a fantranslation being worked on, they're doing both regular and Pro versions.
>>
Did the NES versions ever get fan translations? I don't like the art in the remakes as much.
>>
>>3845169
The NES versions already are in english?
>>
>>3845178
Yeah but the localized aspects bother me.
>>
>>3839930
Buy PS4, pirate 3DS.
>>
>>3845179
>not liking thordain
>>
File: multi fists.jpg (421KB, 1280x845px) Image search: [Google]
multi fists.jpg
421KB, 1280x845px
>>3845179
Actually I believe the nes versions of III and IV are pretty accurate to the original script.Yeah a few things like puff puffs and churches are edited out but most of it was kept in tact. Nintendo was probably too busy with the snes to give a shit and probably gave more freedom t the translators.
>>
I was reading about DQIX, 200 skill points per 99 levels seems a little tight, doesn't it?
>>
>>3845458
Levels are tied to vocations in IX, not the character.
If you level a Thief to lv10, then switch to Priest, you'll be back at lv1. If you level to 20, then go back to Thief, you'll be back to lv10.
Considering the amount of classes in the game, you can get far more than 200 skill points.
Lots of people spent time grinding vocations they had no intention of using just to save Skill Points to use on other vocations.
Plus when you reach lv99, you can reset back to lv1 and get even more skill points.

Basically, skill points are limitless.
>>
>>3832131
So awesome!
>>
>>3846324
What did he mean by this?
>>
What is the best Dragon Quest Monsters game?
>>
Where are my fellow VIIfags at? I never see anyone here say it's there favorite.
>>
>>3846647
It's alright. If it were condensed and didn't have the retarded revolving party door, it would be one of my favorites. Still wouldn't beat V or VIII though.
>>
File: maribel.jpg (112KB, 761x800px) Image search: [Google]
maribel.jpg
112KB, 761x800px
>>3846647
For me it's on par with 8, I like them both equally.
Speaking of 7 I haven't checked the Download Bar in a few weeks, also still haven't finished getting everything from the Almighty I only faught him once, decided to go for the Necktie outfit for Maribel so I don't have to waste fucktons of time in the casino to get it. Hmm think i'll have some drinks and play it tonight.
>>
>>3846647
V, VII, and VIII are my favorites.
>>
>>3839104
She's a huge bitch but she has the bantz.
>>
File: no please.png (5KB, 507x72px) Image search: [Google]
no please.png
5KB, 507x72px
maybe the ds version isn't so bad
>>
>>3832131

I tried really hard to like dragon quest 8 but i just cant get into it.
>>
>>3832131

Dragon Quest V is the only dragon quest game i like. The 3d versions doesn't fit with the type of game that it is. Chrono Trigger is better than all DQ games though,
>>
>>3847224
I felt the same. I bought the 3ds version at release but just have no motivation to continue. Weird since I loved VII. I'll go back someday.
>>
Playing other rpgs like SaGa and DQ I feel like I wasted my youth playing Final Fantasy

Except V of course
>>
>>3847290

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best RPG on the 3ds.
>>
>>3847276
If the SFC version had party chat and 4 party members, it'd be the best version by far. Even without that though, there are still reasons to play it over the PS2 or DS versions.
The PS2 is probably the best though, I just started it after playing the SFC version first. The thing is that I notice all of the differences from the SFC translation. It's not bad, I'm just not used to it. Symphonic music is real nice however. And I really like party chat in a game like this. The character models look kind of shitty but it doesn't matter to me so much.
>>
>>3847445
With how popular Dragon Quest games are in Japan, I don't understand why for such a long time a lot of them had such shitty graphics. Did they really need to reuse VII's graphics for an entire decade?
>>
>>3849251
I don't think VII's graphics look bad at all, actually. I think I may be in the minority though.
>>
>>3849251
Why not? It's a perfect fit for the DS.
>>
>>3847445
hmm not sure i agree though. if you can ignore some of its translations, the DS and PS2 versions are far more superior than the SFC version of V. PS2 boasting orchestra and the DS, a more updated version of the game itself rather than a port to 3D. both fixes the bugs that were present in that version of the game.

also, at least in the DS version the game doesn't secretly trying to railroad you to picking it's designated waifu over the other like a shitty DM and you'll be totally fine with either one.
>>
>>3849920
>picking flora
>ever
>>
AR or save editor for unlocking the on-cart DLC in DQIX
I heard the AR code has some bugs or something
>>
>>3851230
may as well go with the editor then if there's bugs
it's easy enough to use, and easy enough to find
>>
File: dragon quest rankings.png (658KB, 1012x1022px) Image search: [Google]
dragon quest rankings.png
658KB, 1012x1022px
Is this the definitive list?
>>
How come japanese DQ TV ads are so good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld5KrP-5kxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6qmw-qli8
>>
>>3852540
>implying they can compare to American Dragon Quest ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7KwJzPEY10
>>
>>3852551
I think I prefer spanish actors as the actual characters of the game instead of a random kid.

by the way the reason they picked spanish people is because apparently when Japan think of medieval stuff, they think of Spain (instead of the more traditional british as we westerners think of medieval times)
>>
>>3852528
switch vii and ix
>>
File: 1463952228505.jpg (285KB, 759x660px) Image search: [Google]
1463952228505.jpg
285KB, 759x660px
How far into the game is the job assignment? I just finished the mechsoldier dungeon.
>>
>>3852631
You've got about three more islands to go
>>
>>3852556
>instead of the more traditional british as we westerners
You anglo-saxons.
>>
>>3852653
I just assume everyone here is American since this board doesn't have flags. It's easier that way.
>>
>>3852631
About 20 hours in.
>>
Anyone play the mobile ports? I have been thinking i want to play DQ2 and buying it for android would be the easiest way of doing that.
>>
>>3853512
Just get an emulator for your phone.
>>
>>3852675
>America
>anglo-saxon
Aren't white the minority there now? Something like 40% non-mixed white.
>>
What is it with every fucking DQ9 cartridge I buy having some sort of freezing issue?
>>
File: DQIVDS_-_Wiggly.png (1MB, 1810x1501px) Image search: [Google]
DQIVDS_-_Wiggly.png
1MB, 1810x1501px
>yfw you first learned how big these fuckers truly are
>>
>>3854914
Maybe you should play it next to a fire place to keep it warm so it won't freeze?
>>
>>3855015
remember that spongebob episode
>>
>>3854914
It might be your hardware at that point.
>>
File: Jessica's Mom1.jpg (279KB, 620x877px) Image search: [Google]
Jessica's Mom1.jpg
279KB, 620x877px
Is this the only milf in the series?
>>
File: DQMBRV_Japan_Wii.png (1MB, 638x900px) Image search: [Google]
DQMBRV_Japan_Wii.png
1MB, 638x900px
Has anyone played this? I know it's not /vr/, but it's crossover between quite a few of the DQ games. Is it worth paying out the ass for a copy?
>>
File: Fleurette.jpg (198KB, 1240x1705px) Image search: [Google]
Fleurette.jpg
198KB, 1240x1705px
>>3855136
Didn't play that one but I played Dragon Quest Swords on the Wii.
Weird game but I think worth playing if you like the DQ world, it's a weird first person on-rails sword... hard to explain, but you go on-rails and you have to fight enemies using the wiimote as a sword, seems pretty simple at first but it gets a bit challenging as the game advances. Then on the dungeons and the main town are free-roam, all in first person perspective.
It's not amazing, but it's a fun diversion and not too long.
>>
File: pure lies.png (393KB, 586x495px) Image search: [Google]
pure lies.png
393KB, 586x495px
>>3855140
I rented that once, and at the time I couldn't stand it. I've really wanted to try at it again, but the place I rented from is gone, all the copies are priced thru the roof, and I can't find a single ISO anywhere
>>
>>3855150
Sorry, I remember looking for it on Amazon once and the price was like 80 bucks
>>
>>3855136
>Is it worth paying out the ass for a copy?
It's like $20. Not exactly paying out the ass. I'll definitely play it once Japanese Wii U's stop being so goddamn expensive.

>>3855143
That picture is ironic because there's already like 5 Dragon Quest games on the 3DS alone that haven't been localized. It's sad.

>>3855154
Ebay is waaaaaay better for imports. I wouldn't have completely switched over to importing if it wasn't cheap.
>>
>>3852540

>Esto es...
>Los dominios de los sueños

Gives me the chills everytime.

Makes me want to play DQVI actually.
>>
>>3855157
>That picture is ironic because there's already like 5 Dragon Quest games on the 3DS alone that haven't been localized. It's sad.

I'm pretty sure when a company says that, they mean it for games coming out AFTER the statement. Rarely do they see any profit from localizing old games on defunct platforms.
>>
>>3855169
What "defunct platform" are you talking about? The 3DS?
>>
>>3855169
I'm sure people would buy the DQM remakes
>>
>>3855169
Yeah, same for Tales of. At least Vesperia PS3 fan translation came out.
>>
I'm at Swinedimples, and I'm level 25
I feel underleveled
Am I underleveled?
The boss has a lot of HP, my whole party has psyche up but still
When do LMS's become available? I know where metal medleys are but they're becoming less useful.
>>
>>3855581
oh,
Minstrel level 25
Thief level 25
Priest level 24
Mage level 24
>>
Honestly, the music in C.C is pretty shit.
>>
>>3856134
Which Dragon Quest game is this?
>>
>>3855136
i have, and i can tell you, the card game part, that is exactly like the arcade is pretty good, but without a translation, and the fact that:

a) the story mode is a full fledged RPG-like story (i like the concept of this village/cardgame amusement park located in the real world.)
b) you need strong cards before even trying to fight there (thats why the cardscan transfer function exists)

you are gonna have a REALLY bad time, if you want to have somewhat of a kickstart you can try to play it emulated in dolphin, with the DLC downloaded, that will give you a couple of extra cards that can help you win a couple battles.
>>
http://gematsu.com/2017/03/dragon-quest-xi-details-towns-fields-dungeons-camp

I honestly can't see myself playing on 3DS unless it has big differences.
>>
>>3832131
Why is Gohan in the cover art?
>>
>>3856554
He's a guest character.
>>
File: 1093765-1465634.jpg (99KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1093765-1465634.jpg
99KB, 800x1000px
>>3851031
>picking a blonde hick over best wife
>>
>>3856464
I can't see myself playing the 3DS version at all considering how much VII and VIII were supposedly pirated
>>
>>3857483
I blame the MIDI soundtrack. And I blame the localizations for repelling potential newcomers.
>>
>>3857483
It might not be released, but the 3DS version is also the most likely to get a fan-translation
Pirates always win
>>
>>3857746
Who knows. The Switch might just be hacked by the time it comes out.
>>
>>3838597
I know this is from ten days ago but I also yesterday started DQIV for the first time, I decided to do Bluestacks because of how much I'd heard about party chat.

I'm only on Ch. 4 (11 hours in) but so far party chat has been like the tiniest thing, and it was a massive pain in the ass to get the controls working with my gamepad + Joy2Key.

Unless someone's got a better reason than party chat, I wish I had just gone with the DS version.
>>
>>3858613
it's more or less in HD which won't irritate your eyes with the pixelated graphics the DS version had to offer and it looks cleaner which is at least true of the 3d graphics
>>
>>3852540
>actors are all white
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>3858781
Is there any Dragon Quest character who looks even remotely Japanese?
>>
>have a pizza in the oven and needed to fill half an hour, so decide to do some random battles in DQ V
>notice that there is a stretch of coastline accessable on an otherwise off-limit island, so decide to sail there and have a look if there are some new monsters
>there are and they look great, I wonder if they are recruitable
>they not only are, but one actually joins in the very first encounter (despite a medium catch difficulty)
>some times later run into a LMS for the second or third time only
>it doesnt run away but none of my guys are able to connect
>it stays for a second round to laugh at our misery, yet again three guys fail to hit it and even if the last one did, he shouldnt be able to cause any noticable damage
>his hit connects; its actually a Critical Hit, the whole party is showered in exp, every single one is gaining a level
>my dragon bro -who I have wondered if he will be able to learn any breath attacks- does exactly that

well, that were 20 minutes well spend
>>
>>3858884
But what about the pizza
>>
>>3858895
It tasted so-so. Certainly not as delicious as that triumph over that cocky slime
>>
>>3858860
DQ3 fighter?
>>
Can you even have monsters randomly join you in the DQM Remake? I've only been able to acquire monsters via giving them retarded amounts of meat and then scouting them

On another note, why do monsters stop giving a shit about meat later in the game? Like, i'd understand it being a lower amount on stronger monsters, but when you get only a 3% on a monster after giving it 3 meaty sweets or whatever they're called, that's kinda fucked.
>>
>>3859547
Be thankful that you can even see the percentage. Original doesn't have that.
>>
>>3858781
DQ is based in like Britain or Spain or some shit
Somewhere in Europe during Medieval times
Not Japan
>>
>>3832131
Sucks
>>
File: 1478911154963.jpg (21KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1478911154963.jpg
21KB, 150x150px
So I got to the bazaar after the lizards quest. Are there any items of note that I should pick up? I guess the bazaar is over after I make that little twerp Prince deliver the heart.
>>
What are the updates to DQM 3DS
Do I need them or can I just play 1.0 with no problems
>>
>>3860202
The bazaar stays open for the rest of the game.
>>
>>3860256
Oh sweet. The npc kept going on about how it was once per year and how I should buy stuff now.
Was there an elder brother on the original version? Can't remember that, but it has been ages since I played 8
>>
>>3860264
Unfortunately, the first and only time I've played 8 is the 3DS version.
It's an enhanced port, so I'm assuming yes.

Anyhow, I shouldn't say it's open for the rest of the game when I don't really know. I'm at Empychyuu, and it's still open, and I've started getting better equipment, so you've got at least until then to buy what you want.
>>
File: Kenshin_dragon_quest_cover2.jpg (50KB, 479x390px) Image search: [Google]
Kenshin_dragon_quest_cover2.jpg
50KB, 479x390px
Picture related is the only good Dragon Quest game ever made. It was so good it came with its own stand alone console and controller developed specifically for it.
>>
>>3860280
Ah. I kept speculating that the older brother will huck up with Medea if you go for Jessica
>>
File: 1478907230840.jpg (356KB, 950x715px) Image search: [Google]
1478907230840.jpg
356KB, 950x715px
So I equipped Jessica with fishnet stockings, bunny tail and bunny suit, but her appearances don't change in consult. What gives?
>>
>>3861024
bunny ears
>>
>>3861052
I noticed that later. Bare stomach is nice and all, but I want the iconic bunny suit look, why would you do this Nintendo
>>
File: HNI_0105.jpg (65KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0105.jpg
65KB, 400x240px
>>3861075
There's a mod for that.
And Nintendo had nothing to do with the censorship in 8.
>>
>>3861135
SE did it? Never got around to crack my 3ds,and i will always buy dq games anyway
>>
>>3861163
It was squeenix in part.

All the 'censorship' decisions were made by horii himself and they were originally for the japanese version in order to keep an CERO A (ESRB E) rating in japan.

Dq8 for the 3ds was NEVER censored.
>>
>>3861398
Oh, if horii seems it necessary I guess I won't complain
>>
woah why does omniheal cost 128 mp in dq9
>>
>>3861398
so like what? we get the gimped version of dq8 on the 3ds like how the japanese got them in the ps2? i know they're cutting corners for this release but come on
>>
>>3862781
there's nothing "gimped" about it. they didn't remove any gameplay features, and a couple texture changes shouldn't matter
>>
File: 1466741542537.jpg (100KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1466741542537.jpg
100KB, 1200x675px
Who should I replace for Red in VIII? It's either going to be Angelo or Jessica? But Agnelo is decent this time around, is more of a character than Jessica, , but she is a mage with some handy spells. Red is going full fans because warfans are awesome.
>>
>>3862934
by that logic, I should just stick to playing DQIII on GBC than the SFC version since they practically have the same gameplay with almost zero changes then.

obviously they wouldn't be that cruel by removing some of the gameplay aspects and all but that's not the point. thing is, they pretty much locked out the orchestral score for this release like in VII, unlike the Japanese releases where they kept that one. that and how much downloadable content they're porting over from there to here, assuming they are. the little things that makes the overall experience feel better. they're just not there
>>
>>3863316
>2017
>Still doesn't know Japanese
Do you enjoy suffering?
>>
>>3863316
Nice mental gymnastics. There's a huge difference between 3 on GBC and SFC, but virtually none between DQ8 on PS2 and 3DS.
>>
>>3863429
>MIDI
>censorship
>bare bones downlodable content
>virtually nothing

also, a bonus post-game dungeon that's not that that barely adds anything to the game barely constitute as a "huge difference". unless you mistake the NES version with the SFC of course
>>
>>3863482
>MIDI
another idiot i see, do you know how midis really sound, right?
its cause trolls like you we dont get the really good dq games.

Also heres a heads up: the ps2 and 3ds orchestra are different, not all 3ds songs are orchestrated or are badly looped.

>censorship.
The changes were made by THE CREATOR OF THE GAME to ensure a E rating IN THE JAPANESE VERSION.

>bare bones downlodable content
I will give you that, what dlc is missing?
>>
Death Psaro is crazy hard in the PS1 version of IV. I beat him first try in the Famicom version and now I'm getting my ass beat. Time to grind!
>>
So I now own all the DQ games for mobile. Is there ANY chance we see VII make it to android?
>>
>>3863679
For what reason?
>>
>>3863679
>mobile

Why that version in particular?
>>
I tried to play the NES Dragon Quest 1, I made it to like level 12 before I finally fucking gave up, it's such a grindfest
>>
File: tumblr_ogakoxU9tb1rhwcn3o2_1280.png (480KB, 880x708px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ogakoxU9tb1rhwcn3o2_1280.png
480KB, 880x708px
>>3863679
Realistically not. VII on 3ds didn't sell amazingly once released and I don't believe any of the mobile DQ games sold well as well outside of Japan. I believe it sold around 200,00 0 in the US and Europe combined.

I don't believe the 3ds version is too expensive, is it? If it seriously is already being skalped that's insane.
>>
I think the main problem with DQ7 is grinding with the vocation system.
It's not a fun, fast grind like level grinding with metal monsters is.
It's slow, boring, and you won't reach advanced classes without it.
>>
>>3863524
>I'm tone deaf and I don't know how to tell the difference between MIDI and recorded instruments!
>guess i'll just call him a moron instead!

http://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-viii-3ds-will-have-voice-acting-no-orchestrated-music/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxnp-XH34ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg236zrHA40

fucking educate yourself
>>
>>3864480
I hear two equally great versions of the same song.

I'm not him, but I don't see the midis as a bad thing. Synthesized instruments have come a long way since the Genesis, and they sound great. They're a little different, some songs noticeably more-so than others, but that's the nature of synthesizer vs the real thing. I see them as two different versions of the same song.
I quite honestly prefer some of the midi versions of DQ7 3DS's soundtrack over the orchestrated versions.
>>
>>3864496

Sorry bud. Not even him but the second I clicked that first vid link I cringed because its a sharp dip in quality from the orchestra music I am used to. I know that overworld song very well, can even play a version of it on my keyboard so don't think I'm just a blatant synth hater.

The orchestrated versions are just plain better. It's subjective and all but i am sure you can understand why someone would prefer REAL instruments.
>>
>>3864506
'kay
>>
>>3864506
But also keep in mind, if you're playing the game, you're hearing it out of a 3DS's speakers, which are not that great.
>>
File: buchla.jpg (174KB, 700x517px) Image search: [Google]
buchla.jpg
174KB, 700x517px
>>3864506
>REAL instruments

wew those are fightin words fella
>>
>>3864540
3DS has a headphone jack, you know
>>
>>3865115
>implying that improves anything
>>
>>3865529
Now you're just shitposting.
>>
>>3865115
I know. I'm not saying that the speakers really fix anything. I'm just saying the music is not an absolute deal-breaker. The sad reality is that with all these enhanced ports and remakes it's incredibly rare there's one version that's the 100% definitive experience or a true replacement for the original, especially when you're porting to a handheld.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to get the 3DS version because it'll be my first time playing the game, but I'm probably going to buy it ultimately just to support the series.
>>
>>3864416
Nah, people just have shit taste. VII is the best game in the series. The game is long as fuck, you never need to grind jobs since you'll be fighting a ton naturally.
>>
>>3866142
I don't know how anyone can say VII is better than V
>>
>>3866147
I feel it is. I love V, it was my first one, but I feel its last third is nt as strong as the first 2/3's. Not to say V is bad, its an amazing game, but I honestly feel VII has consistent quality. From beginning to end I'm invested when playing VII.
>>
Holy shit
Anyone else feel in control of the universe
A metal medley stayed one turn and had one HP left. One metal slash could have done the job. I thought to myself, "I would have to be a real unlucky bastard to lose this one". Right after thinking that, it missed.
Then, later, I opened a blue chest. While it was opening I was thinking it'd suck if it was a mimic. It was a fucking mimic.
This kind of shit happens all the time. It's spooky.
>>
>>3866175
Sounds like you're the kind of guy that says "i'm gonna propose to her after we get back", "i mean, it can't get any worse", "It worked! that totally killed him!", "Gee, you know, the only thing that could ruin this great wedding right now is a giant swarm of parasitic wasps.", etc.
>>
File: 1439183367773.jpg (574KB, 827x860px) Image search: [Google]
1439183367773.jpg
574KB, 827x860px
I'm currently playing IV and it's great, just started Chapter 5. This is my third game after I and II.

From what I've heard this one isn't held that highly by fans, is that true? And why if so?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPhzNJIDgAU&
>>
>>3867728
You might be confused.
The DS version isn't held highly by some fans because of the thick accents and the removal of Party Chat in the localization, but IV in general is regarded as one of the best in the series and is often recommended as an entry point alongside V and VIII.
>>
>>3867768
DS version is great. If you're playing the Japanese version like I am, anyway. Easily the best version.
>>
Just grabbed the DQ9 save editor
What's some of the most ANNOYING shit to get legit and how much should I add in
And how do I add in the Locker and Masayuki maps
>>
>>3867931
Oh, and Inn guests
Can I just checkmark all the legacy ones at once
Also, my inn is rank 1, should I raise it before adding them
>>
>>3867931
>implying everything about DQ9 postgame isn't annoying to get
Go nuts
>>
I played and beat Dragon Quest VII a week ago.
Really great game, was also my first DQ game.
>>
>>3867768
I had watched a bit of a stream of this hardcore DQ fan marathoning the series and he seemed a bit perturbed when he started IV for some reason, maybe it was just because he was playing the NES version.

I can definitely see the complaints about the accents, I'm fine with them conceptually but they're just over the top in this game. I've heard V and VI aren't as bad.

>>3867780
I'm playing the mobile version through Bluestacks because I wanted the party chat, I don't speak mooninese. Though I've heard DQ games are good for learning the language because of their relatively simple scripts.
>>
>>3868130
They're definitely toned down in 5, 6, 7, and 9, but people complain simply because they're there.
>>
>>3867947
Sorry, me again
Two more questions
1. When it says the quick save log is corrupted, does that mean I fucked something up? I didn't even have a quick save, and other than that it works fine just loading from the normal save point. Thankfully I have backups.
2. When leveling in the save editor, will the exp and skill points show up in game? Because in the editor, it looks like you have to edit the exp points manually, and I didn't see anything for total skill points (yeah, I know, but I'd rather add them in game. I like getting accolades.)
>>
You know what, Sugiyama probably hates westerners because every single one of the comments on DQ9 videos look like they're made by retarded 10 year olds. He probably thinks that's what the fanbase is.
>I played this on ps2 its really good
>Cheater u can't be level 1
>How did u play this on ur computer
>>
>>3868140
Honestly if they want an archaic or old-fashioned style of English that doesn't sound that like Shakespeare cunt, they should look to Dragon's Dogma.
>>
>>3868141
>will the exp and skill points show up in game
It doesn't
Fug
What's the exp each class will have by level 50
>>
>>3868130
>he seemed a bit perturbed when he started IV for some reason, maybe it was just because he was playing the NES version.
Probably because of the shitty forced party AI in that version of the game, even though everyone on /vr/ seems to love to defend it
>>
>>3868920
You can use a Game Genie to force manual
>>
are all DQ UI's as bad as VIII? I don't even bothering gearing anybody up because it's such an unintuitive pain in the ass
>>
>>3869380
PS2 or 3DS?
>>
>>3869382

PS2
>>
>>3869390
No, thank god. That UI sucks and is slow as shit.
>>
>>3869393

aight i will perservere
>>
>>3869421
Yeah, the English release of 8 on PS2 was given a UI that was all about looks rather than functionality.
The series has just about the simplest UI you can ask for otherwise.
>>
>>3869380
>>3869390
DQ9 has a UI kinda like that, but WAY less shitty, and only used for equipment.
>>
>>3868915
Oh shit you know what
I added the skill points manually without taking into account that maybe they're added after leveling up
That would suck
Is that how it works?
>>
>>3870029
I like it for just equipment in IX, because it's basically the only time you really see your characters outfits up close.
>>
>>3868774
Only idiots bother to comment on youtube.
>>
>>3870468
And 4chan.
>>
>>3870474
Obviously.
>>
With FF having decent success on Steam, do you think Square will ever bring some of the other DQ games to PC?

Especially with how easy it probably was to port the mobile FF games over to Steam, you'd think they'd jump on the chance to do it with DQ too, which I'd be ok with considering the mobile DQ games are actually really good versions. And they already charge a massive premium for those mobile versions.
>>
I picked up Dragon Quest 7 and all the characters in the party are normalfags. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>3873048
Maybe but unlikely. Dragon Quest just isn't as popular as Final Fantasy in the west, and PC gaming is mainly western dominated.

>>3873340
You're right, anon, I think they should all be depressed ugly losers with no desire to do anything. How else will you relate to them?
>>
>>3873507
I mean normalfags in the sense that they're nothing special like fishers and villagers unlike any other Dragon Quest.
>>
>>3873542
Well, you would be too if there was literally no major conflict in the world, everybody knew each other, and everybody had a sense of community.
>>
Just finished DQ1. Have played V and VIII. Which should I play next? Not sure I want to play II next if it's as bare bones as I.
>>
>>3873840
It's not "bare bones", but II sucks. Play III or IV instead.
>>
>>3873840
If you've played V, do IV next
>>
>>3873542
Melvin is a hero that fought with god against the demon king
>>
>>3873542
That's the entire point of (most) of the cast of VII. They're just average joes who just wanted to explore and got caught up in something greater.
That's one of the reasons I love it so much.

>>3873934
I'm thinking he's not that far along yet.
>>
>>3873997
Isn't it just silly that anyone can become a high level demon slayer though? That any child can become a legendary warrior. I just don't feel special in this game. Anyone could go out there and become a legend, it's just ruins the DQ world for me.
>>
>>3874002
Don't want to spoil anything major, but the Hero of VII is not ordinary. At the beginning of the game, he can read the runes in the ruins for some reason, even though he's never even seen the language before.
>>
>>3873340
>Gabo
>Melvin
>normalfags

Yeah, no.
>>
File: 80.jpg (106KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
80.jpg
106KB, 700x394px
Is dragon quest V is the best one of the series?
>>
>>3875815
V is definitely in the top tier, but favorite really depends on what you like about DQ games and JRPGs in general. It gets my vote, though.
>>
File: 9762df07ea7dc282728d16182a38b53c.png (856KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
9762df07ea7dc282728d16182a38b53c.png
856KB, 900x1200px
>>3875815
DQ V is one of the top 3 of DQ series, mainly for the waifus.
Though stick to either the SNES version or the DS version, the PS2 version was 3D horror fest.
>>
File: pcsx2_2016_11_11_10_32_46_061.jpg (272KB, 1163x872px) Image search: [Google]
pcsx2_2016_11_11_10_32_46_061.jpg
272KB, 1163x872px
>>3875848
The PS2 version is perfectly fine, and it has by far the best soundtrack.
>>
>>3875876
Well the 3D animation makes it look like nendroids to me, giving me uncanny valley, nainly because I'm used to sprites.
The gameplay is the same, though the DS have another waifu.
>>
>>3875876
>>3875891
As someone who is in the middle of playing it right now, PS2 version is fine, but it doesn't really offer anything special. You might as well just play the DS version and listen to the orchestrated soundtrack on your own time.
>>
What Dragon Quest should I play. I got about halfway through 9 and got bored. Then I played up to the first time travel in 7 but kinda lost interest.
I want to enjoy this series so much but I'm at a loss on what I should try next.
>>
>>3875815
I thinki DQ III was the best.
Something like this
III > IV > V > VIII
>>3875848
>waifus
You have no idea.
>PS2 version was 3D horror
I can relate.
>>
>>3875948
What it does have over DS is a superior translation. God damn is it bad, from Uptaten to Gotha.
>>
>>3875815
Story? Yes. So much yes. Without question, one of the greatest stories ever told in gaming.
Gameplay? Fuck no. Monster recruiting is cool, but you have to grind hard to do it. Random encounters are insane, dungeons are fucking tedious. Strategy basically amounts to "spam attack" on randoms and "use BiKill, THEN spam attack" on bosses.

Best gameplay goes to 8 or maybe 9 (8 is better, but 9 has more battles that are fun like 8's postgame)
>>
Did that guy that was doing voice undub for DQ8 on 3ds ever finish it completely?
>>
>>3876162
>Random encounters are insane
I thought it's RE is better by far the the rest of the series.
>>
>>3876172
Yes. It's on that ISO site.
>>
>>3876187
No. And it has at least two caves that have heightened REs.
>>
>>3873507
But even being significantly less popular, if stuff like Disgaea and Tales can justify releases with undoubtedly more expensive to develop ports, surely porting a bunch of mobile games over would turn a profit pretty quickly, especially with Steam sales.

Both Heroes games are some of the top-selling games in the JRPG tag on Steam, with 2 not even being out yet and those games being $60 and rarely going on sale. According to Steam's charts, Heroes 1 is still outselling every FF port except IX. I don't know how accurate that is, but that's gotta count for something.

Surely DQ in the west is at least as popular as Hyperdimension Neptunia or Legend of Heroes, right?
>>
File: 398207a70537a9ae35dc8087699e027e.jpg (897KB, 850x1190px) Image search: [Google]
398207a70537a9ae35dc8087699e027e.jpg
897KB, 850x1190px
>>3875848
>the PS2 version was 3D horror fest
I wouldn't go that far, but I admit I couldn't sexualize the 3D art no matter how hard I tried.
>>
>>3875990
That's because you started out with the two of the worst options for beginners. Try playing V if you want a game that will immediately catch your interest.
>>
>>3875995
This is some top tier shit taste.
>>3876187
It actually is really high in some areas. That cave with the Red and Blue Eaters is the WORST.
>>3876162
Good gameplay is a huge plus, but let's be honest, it's not the reason why we play Dragon Quest games.
>>
>>3875876
Did the monsters kidnap Martha because of she had big tits?
>>
>>3876394
>Good gameplay is a huge plus, but let's be honest, it's not the reason why we play Dragon Quest games.
I get that, but in DQV gameplay is something annoying you do just to see the story. It shouldn't be like that.
>>
>>3876394
I dunno, I've only played 1, 2 and 4 so far, but the gameplay is most appealing to me so far. It's just incredibly simple, classic JRPG. For lack of a better word, it's comfy. Just lay back and grind a bit while listening to a podcast.
>>
>>3875948
I'm playing it as well, where are you right now?
>>
>>3876560
I'm at the church near Granvania. About to fight Jami. So about 2/3rds of the way through.
>>
>>3876574
So its another replay, if you already know whats ahead?

I'm just a bit ahead, exploring the world a bit with the ship, but there is not really that much to be seen.
To be honest, I think the game is overhyped. I'm enjoying it, but I honestly dont see it that much apart from DQ VI (the only other part I have played). Yes V is better, but I cant imagine why its rated one of the very best DQ games and VI one of the worst.
>>
>>3876639
Yes, I've played V about three times now, and I'm going to play it a fourth with the DS version soon. It's absolutely fantastic. Perfect length and solid story, while VI is far too long and has a shitty flimsy story. There's just something about becoming growing up and becoming a family man that makes the game special to me.
>>
File: bianca-03.jpg (71KB, 639x475px) Image search: [Google]
bianca-03.jpg
71KB, 639x475px
>>3876653
>solid story
I enjoyed the childhood segment. But there is so much more that could be done to the other parts.
Especially your waifu stops having any character development once she married you (i cant imagine how much worse it is with the other two, who had like one or two sentences with you before you have to marry them)
The fact that for many parts of the game you have only monsters with you, also means that the party chat is pretty pointless. And even with a human companion its only a single one (until you get the kids) in contrast to almost always 3 characters in DQ VI

The game is also too linear in contrast to DQ VI, especially now with the ship available.

Lastly, my main complaint is that there are hardly any items to be found at all. Almost all treasures are just worthless junk, outdated equipment or endless mini medals. And with me -and probably most players in general- saving it for the big final price, mini medals really mean nothing, while you get constant new stuff from them in DQ VI (just like with the style contests and slime fights; the equivalent of which would be T'n'T boards of which there are too little to be found). That all makes it pretty frustrating to wander an hour or two through a dungeon, finding 6-7 treasure boxes and nothing of worth in it. Same with new towns or locations, its all just too empty in contrast to DQ VI
>>
>>3832131
I went to a market and found Dragon Warriors III for Gameboy Color. It will be my first Dragon Quest I will actually play through. I hope it's good.
>>
Here's some more information about XI if anyone is interested

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/23/dragon-quest-xi-introduces-female-martial-artist-martina-rou-battle-info/
>>
>>3878151
I hope the party chat isn't like VIII
>>
>>3832232
The DS version isn't a bad option.
Extra party member room + an extra wife who fights like a monster= decent tradeoff.
>>
File: Camus.jpg (2MB, 2047x3027px) Image search: [Google]
Camus.jpg
2MB, 2047x3027px
Dragon Quest XI info from Shounen Jump.
>>
File: DQ11-Scan_12-22-16_001.jpg (2MB, 2062x3031px) Image search: [Google]
DQ11-Scan_12-22-16_001.jpg
2MB, 2062x3031px
>>3878634
>>
>>3878646
>>
File: DQ11-Scan_03-09-17.jpg (3MB, 2048x3008px) Image search: [Google]
DQ11-Scan_03-09-17.jpg
3MB, 2048x3008px
>>3878649
>>
>>3878634
Trying to keep myself spoiler-free on the game until it comes out, but Lotozetashia is a hell of a name for the world.
>>
File: Rou and Martina.jpg (948KB, 951x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Rou and Martina.jpg
948KB, 951x1400px
>>3878653
>>
>>3878656
The battle system on the PS4 version will be like the one on Dragon Quest X, you can move your characters around but you will have to take turns to attack, meanwhile on the 3DS version it will be like 1-9 battle system. Also the game has a crap ton of references to the first trilogy.
>>
>>3878671
>Japanese Release Date will be announced on April 11th
Fucking finally. Now I'm hyped. Buying a PS4 for this game.
>>
>>3878678
threds ded
>>
>>3832142
I'd personally rank V above VIII. I'd also put IX above both though.
>>
Finally got around to playing Japanese DS version of Dragon Quest IV. The party chat in Chapter 2 adds a surprising amount of depth to the plot. I'm actually shocked at how much I'm enjoying replaying this game now.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.