[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flashcart Equivalent on CD Consoles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: PA.24131.002.jpg (29KB, 479x479px) Image search: [Google]
PA.24131.002.jpg
29KB, 479x479px
After years of PS1 and SNES emulation, I finally decided to buy a Dreamcast and found the beauty of burning games that were too expensive for my tastes. I then bought an N64 and an Everdrive, love it. I feel like original hardware plus a rom or disc image is my preferred way to play things.

So now I want a Saturn and a PS1. I know I can just modchip then burn CDs, but I learned about stuff like GDEMU, Rhea & Phobos which got me thinking that it would be way simpler to use those. I have a question, however. How do they compare to using an actual disc? GDEMU in particular is appealing since I can use an uncompressed version of DC games. I went to original hardware plus backups versus emulation because it seemed like the most original way to play. If the SD solutions aren't perfectly like burning a CD I am not interested. Exception being GDEMU which touts faster loading times, which I am ok with.
>>
>>3830384
what the heck is this controller
>>
>>3830390
Japan-only PS2 controller designed to look like a saturn controller
Seems unnecessary to me
>>
>>3830384
I'm in it for the long haul until the Satisfier comes out. Installing the rhea is simple but I like the idea of booting games through that mpeg slot.

For PS1 you can do a PS2 fat with FreeMcboot and an HDD loaded with PS1 roms. You can do an ide to sata adapter and an SSD or ide to SD adapter for SD card if you want to eliminate moving parts.
>>
>>3830497
>HDD loaded with PS1 roms
I thought you need CD-Rs for PS1, because HDD solution for PS1 on PS2 is just a software emulation.
>>
>>3830513
Not that poster but I've heard the emulator is quite good. Never used it though.
You would probably be better emulating on the computer and running it to your TV.
>>
>>3830384
What is the best genesis controller?
>>
>>3830513
It is. You would be better off using a pc/laptop.
>>
>>3830497
>I'm in it for the long haul until the Satisfier comes out.

Have fun waiting for eternity. The guy settled down and is raising a kid now. But he uploaded the source code so you can still built it yourself.
>>
File: Never_let_go.jpg (557KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Never_let_go.jpg
557KB, 2592x1944px
>>3830478
It is pretty necessary to me. Not many other controllers I am at peace with. Some people love the SNES controller or 360 controller but the Sega Saturn controllers suit me best.

>>3830497
I know I can just google it, but walk me through the FreeMcBoot thing. I have the fat and a network adapter with an old IDE HDD. Sounds like something to have fun with.

>>3831049
Not OP, but For the Genesis, I favor the official 6-button pads. Both the US larger one and the Japanese smaller one works fine for me.

>>3830384
I am still waiting on GDemu to become available. I hate that I missed out on a Phoebe for Saturn, I kept refreshing the page, and the one weekend I got busy, it became available and sold out on me.
>>
>>3830757
>I've heard the emulator is quite good
Boy did you hear wrong. Most of the games I tried had some kind of slowdown or audio issues. Until an actual ODE comes into existence a modchip and blank CDs are still your best bet.
>>
File: 6btn01.jpg (226KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
6btn01.jpg
226KB, 1024x683px
>>3831049
>>
>>3831232
>I am still waiting on GDemu to become available. I hate that I missed out on a Phoebe for Saturn

Don't you have like 3 of each? You keep posting pics of those every time in the thread.
>>
>>3831861
No, that's a different anon with the suggestively posed Xenomorph. That anon makes me jealous with his cool stuff. I have 3 Sega Saturn systems (US model 1, JP grey model 1, Victor model 1) but not the SD card readers. I did get a Rhea, but it only works on my US Saturn, which is modded with a switch to change between US&JP regions, and I would prefer the Japanese grey one to have the SD card reader, but that one requires the Phoebe.

I reuse my pics to save time on composing new ones. Sorry.
>>
>>3831924
No, I don't mean that guy, I'm pretty sure I saw someone with your handwritten notes posting a pic of a bunch of sd loaders.
>>
>>3831924
>I would prefer the Japanese grey one to have the SD card reader, but that one requires the Phoebe.

It would cost you around $40 to get a grey Saturn that works with Rhea.
>>
File: About_4_SDcards_at_this_time.jpg (2MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
About_4_SDcards_at_this_time.jpg
2MB, 2304x1728px
>>3831932
It could be this pic where I was asking/wanting the GDemu. Which I still want and still stands valid.

>>3831934
Sadly, at this time, the Funco Pop! stores around me all ask about $79.99+tax (so about $90) for a Sega Saturn. Checking eBay I do see a few at $50+shipping, but no indication it would work with the Rhea, so it would be another Saturn system requiring a Phoebe (of which I mentioned I had 2 already). Plus at this point having 3 Saturn systems is already overkill (as I even have a spare drive and that Rhea in case of drive failure, but not a single one of my Saturn systems has even needed a repair even after all the years of intense use, they are like tanks).
>>
Saturn: Rhea or Phobe depending on what model you have
PS1: PSIO it only works with the playstations that only have the parallel port
both are expensive about 100+ dollars
but im pretty much on the same boat as you OP because im tired of having a cluster of CDs all over and im loving the SD card loaders to play games. More space for me and im saving up to get those
>>
>>3832063
>. Checking eBay I do see a few at $50+shipping, but no indication it would work with the Rhea

For a guy with so much money you sure don't have any brains.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Console-SEGA-SATURN-SS-NTSC-J-japonaise-JAP-JAPON-a2-fr-1202O-/192105216768

$42, and works with Rhea.
>>
>>3832080
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Gray-Console-Japan-import-SS-system-US-Seller-Please-read-/282375837905

$30 even.
>>
File: FIGURE-012265.jpg (127KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
FIGURE-012265.jpg
127KB, 600x600px
>>3832080
>>3832083

I ... don't have money ... nor brains. It's a catch 22 situation, or is that Ouroboros situation, where both are a result and cause of one another. I do not see any indication that either of those auctions are the 20-pin cable (Rhea) opposed to the 21-pin cable (Phoebe) without images of the motherboard exposed.

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/details/saturn-details/

So I still think it is a gamble. The outer shell is not an indication of the type of drive it uses.
>>
>>3832140
>I ... don't have money

You showed off $10k worth of stuff in your pictures before.

>It's a catch 22 situation, or is that Ouroboros situation, where both are a result and cause of one another.

Catch 22 is a logical paradox, Ouroboros is an eternal cycle.

> I do not see any indication that either of those auctions are the 20-pin cable (Rhea)

They both have the larger PSU connector, which is unique to launch models.
>>
>>3831236
Ah I guess I did hear wrong.

I just use PSXLauncher.

I'd rather the $10 for a freemcboot card, $3 for a junk game, and $8 for a stack of CD-Rs than $100 or whatever the Rheia thing costs but definitely understand the appeal of the unit.
>>
>>3832151
Thanks for the help. I had no clue about that PSU connector indicator. My US Saturn which is compatible with the Rhea does not have the larger PSU connector. Guess I will have to start saving up to get one of those systems, much cheaper than saving up for a Phoebe.

> Catch 22 is a logical paradox, Ouroboros is an eternal cycle.
Both are applicable to my poverty situation.

>You showed off $10k worth of stuff in your pictures before.
It's only worth that to me, as I enjoy playing with the stuff, but the stuff will not net me that amount. Which I am fine with, as I am currently just getting more use playing with them. That fun which I value more than the liquidation worth.
>>
>>3832273
>Thanks for the help. I had no clue about that PSU connector indicator. My US Saturn which is compatible with the Rhea does not have the larger PSU connector.

That's because it's not a launch modell, it's a later cost reduced one that may or may not use a 20pin drive.

For future reference, all HST-3200 models are launch units.

>It's only worth that to me,

bull. You have over $1000 in scalers alone. That Saturn you posted would go for $500 on ebay, and you post pics of huge piles of shmups which go for $2-300 each.
>>
I never understood the saturn SD card meme. Why not just use psuedosaturn and burn the games? The CD drive uses pretty standard parts doesn't it? Saturn action replays are still being produced new.
>>
File: 1409094453864.jpg (90KB, 615x593px) Image search: [Google]
1409094453864.jpg
90KB, 615x593px
>>3832686
>calling everything a meme meme
>>
>>3831252
Heavy but a nice stick!
>>
>>3832686
Because an SD card means you'll never have to replace the drive ever again, and you don't have to burn discs.
>>
>>3832686
SD cards load games faster, don't require the cart slot that doesn't work half the time, and you can have 100+ games inside the machine at any time.
>>
>>3832686
Saturnfags are like Mini-Mes of Neo Geo collectors. People who pay $500 for a game to display on a shelf won't bat an eyelid at paying $150 for something that makes things a little easier. If that's not your thing play burnt discs.
>>
>>3831252
>tfw you got the three button version and it's gone all wonky and isn't all too responsive.

Feels bad man. Real bad.
>>
>>3830384
name the best Genesis Controller
>>
Thanks for all the discussion, I've learned a bit. But is there a definitive answer to my (OP) question? Is it the same as using a disc?
>>
>>3837256
>Is it the same as using a disc?

No, it's better. You can have 100+ games inside the console, and you get better load times.
>>
>>3837360
So its the same then. I mean on an individual basis, like I will have the exact same (minus load times) experience as someone playing legit games on their console or a burned disc.

Basically I don't want the weirdo differences that emulating presents.
>>
>>3837380
It's not the same. You can't:
Intensely read the manual, holding it close to your face and pointedly moving your eyes back and forth, so that everyone in the vicinity knows what a faggot you are
Rub your dick all over the manual, as the developers original intended
Fuck up your console doing the swap trick
etc

Might as well just emulate
>>
>>3831232
Buy a fmcb card off amazon or ebay, then you can launch opl off a usb stick. Look up a guide for setting up your hdd, its pretty simple.
>>
>>3837484
>Fuck up your console doing the swap trick

This meme needs to die.
>>
File: IMG_0423.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0423.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Modchip is the best way to play and enjoy Saturn games. And you can always play actual games if you ever pick up a rea game.
>>
>>3838695
>that awful modchip install

lol, I'm surprised it even works.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.