[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I truly alone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: titan-x-hero-100674537-orig.png (371KB, 1621x915px) Image search: [Google]
titan-x-hero-100674537-orig.png
371KB, 1621x915px
I am a very weird person with conflicting passions. I love retro gaming and high-end desktop builds. It makes it a bit depressing to see benchmarks not telling us how retro games will run on new technology, but I get used to that. I guess the problem now is that with more and more CPUs focusing on multi-core technology, where will we go for single threaded optimizations in a few years? AMD doesn't cater to us normally and Intel is going 6 cores.

I am determined to get the most optimal rig I can to play late 90s shooters and it just feels like they make it harder as time goes on. It is hard enough with Windows 10 breaking game compatibility and Linux not really being compatible with late 90s games.

Does anyone besides me have this sort of weird conflict of interests? How do you balance it so your retro experience doesn't suffer?
>>
>>3826767
We build separate retro gaming PCs. Better get on board before they're impossible to find without paying out the ass for them.
>>
I want one of those multi-LED light options Dell XPS desktops to build a retro rig in.
>>
>>3826767
Intel certainly isn't going to drop their single core performance, even if they don't improve it.
On the flipside, AMD has considerably kmprived their IPC with the new Ryzen architecture.

nVidia dicks everyone over, and does have some backwards compatibility problems with older titles.
Interestingly enough, AMD cards have better backwards compatibily, although in either case, only a select few titles are effected.

The biggest problem is what operating system you run.
Microsoft generally mainains high backwards compatibility, but the cutting of certain modes or features is the leading cause of old games failing to run.
Fallout 1/2 won't run properly because 16 bit color support was cut in win7.
Any games with secuROM won't run in win10 because MS disallowed the software calls the secuROM made.
>>
>>3826854
The problem I see with this is that while it won't be improved, it could potentially be less as they add more cores. Can't exactly get 5.0 ghz clocks in those cases. Zen is nice for improving AMD, but they have lower clocks, which affects single thread performance.

Funny you say that. I have always heard that AMD cards tend to have worse support than Nvidia. Never seen something say it is impossible to run in Nvidia, seen it in some places for AMD. Admittedly, I cannot provide evidence as I forget where I saw it, but it makes me worried of AMD compatibility.

Indeed, OS compatibility is quite the problem, which can be made worse when everyone is being pushed to 10 and Linux isn't a viable alternative. It's painful enough needing to use a W98 VM to play the original Tomb Raider, I can't imagine things that rely on hardware acceleration. There are several games I cannot get working in a VM unless I dedicate myself to a GPU passthrough.
>>
The best "retro" GPU is the GeForce FX series. It has full and complete support for every Direct3D version up to 9, with absolutely nothing broken. Fog tables, palatalized textures, etc, it supports it. Funny how these cards are suddenly quite useful now, even though they had a reputation for being garbage back in the day.

If you really want Glide, best retro cards is Voodoo 2 SLI, as they have full support for all Glide games.

ATi cards aren't actually that good for backwards compatibility.
>>
>>3826930
The only two games I know of with GPU incompatibilities are Crimson Skies and Dark Void.

Crimson Skies uses non-power-of-2 textures, which not all modern nVidia cards support/play well with.

Dark Void I'd just chalk up to Capcom's all around shitty programing.
This is particularly ironic because Dark Void uses PhysX for loads of things.
>>
>>3826767
The best rig for late 90's shooters probably isn't going to be a late 2010's machine.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.