[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Gunstar Heroes the best game of the 16-bit era?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 250px-Gunstar_Heroes.jpg (48KB, 250x357px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Gunstar_Heroes.jpg
48KB, 250x357px
Why is Gunstar Heroes the best game of the 16-bit era?
>>
Because you've never played past the first four stages. Stage 5 is overly long and repetitive on top of having no checkpoints, and the shmup segment of stage 6 is absurdly hard without the beam sword (or the controlled fireball if you are an ascended being capable of using it effectively).

Fantastic game aside from that, though. One of my favorites.
>>
Treasure is overrated.
>>
>>3826030
It's not though.

It's not even the best game by Treasure.

That would be pic related.
>>
>>3826030
Contra III was better.

That said, it IS the best Genesis game.
>>
>>3826064
You need to play more genesis games...
>>
>>3826030
Not even the best run n gun in the system
>>
>>3826056
i love you

Dynamite Headdy is my favourite 16-bit game. Tough and great niche, mega soundtrack
>>
lots of hipsters in here
>>
It's a tie between Gunstar Heroes and Castlevania IV.

Praise Yaiman.
>>
>>3827063
But Suganami is the reason Gunstar was so great.

Castlevania IV is overrated garbage.
>>
>>3826030
Probably not BEST, but definitely in my Top 5.

And why is it so great?
- Tight controls
- Great audiovisual representation
- Perfect co-op
- Doesn't overstay it's welcome
- It's cool without being overly serious
>>
>>3827082
Mobygames says Nami was just the enemy programmer. Yaiman was the main programmer.

>Castlevania IV is overrated garbage
Bad opinion, but I'll let you keep it.
>>
>>3827101
Suganami was the main designer of Gunstar, Alien Soldier, Mischief Makers, and Sin & Punishment.

>Bad opinion, but I'll let you keep it.
Admit it, IV is one of the worst Classicvania entries.
>>
File: 1460299595600.jpg (268KB, 1920x2008px) Image search: [Google]
1460299595600.jpg
268KB, 1920x2008px
>>3826056
>buy a Genesis/Mega Drive around middle 90s
>play that, Gunstar Heroes, Rocket Knight Adventures, Comix Zone, Ristar, SoR 2 and Sonic 1, 2, 3 &Knuckles in those following months

I will not experience such thing ever again
>>
>>3827124
>Suganami was the main designer of Gunstar, Alien Soldier, Mischief Makers, and Sin & Punishment.
I can't find any source saying he was the "main designer" of Gunstar, he just appears as enemy programmer.

>Admit it, IV is one of the worst Classicvania entries.
Blah, classicvania shitposting got stale, everyone has different opinions, IV is on my top 3 along with Rondo and III. I definitely don't think entries like Simon's Quest, Bloodlines or fucking Haunted Castle are better than IV, not a chance.
>>
>>3826064

Contra 3 isn't even better than Hard Corps or Super C.
>>
>>3827130
The website the interview was hosted on doesn't load now, but I remember it said that NAMI lead development of and did most of the design work on Gunstar, such as levels and bosses.
>>
>>3827151
And yet it's better than Gunstar Heroes.
>>
File: rms_facepalm.jpg (3MB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
rms_facepalm.jpg
3MB, 3504x2336px
>>3827151
>implying the holy trinity of Contra games isn't 3, HC, and SS
>>
>>3826056

Treasure: A company famous for numerous and creative boss battles
Dynamite Headdy: A game whose majority of bosses are weenies that play by hit and run tactics, arbitrarily dragging the battle out

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it definitely feels like a bit of wasted potential. Some of the stages had more interesting gimmicks going on than the bosses, despite being so short lived.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.