[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RPG names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7

Ever name your characters after old friends in effort to reconnect with feelings and / or make up for long lost relationships that you no longer have today?
>>
>>3825146
Super gay.
>>
Yeah. Sometimes an ex b-Baka
>>
>>3825146
No. Literally the only game I ever name characters after myself/my friends is Oregon Trail (and games based on it like Organ Trail or Orion Trail) to watch funny shit happen to me and my buds. I can't take a game plot seriously if the characters are named after people I know.
>>
>>3825146
Yes I named them all tightboipussy.
>>
File: IMG_1148.png (1022KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1148.png
1022KB, 1136x640px
>>3825157
Why. Why you do this
>>
>>3825146
>tfw when you have a 7-character name and many games only allow room for 6.
>>
Absolutely not. RPG's are about the characters, not about your made up frilly bull shit.

There are a few work arounds, however.

Aeris = Aerith
Red XIII = Nanaki
Red XIII = Django
Cait Sith = Reeve
Tifa = Worst Girl
Yuffie = Best Girl
Cloud = Zack

Squall = Leon
Rinoa = Ultimecia

Tidus = ????

Vivi = Black Mage #69
>>
>>3825164
Or when you forget to disable all caps so the characters name is robotic
>>
>>3825169
Don't make tifa look bad, her tits are awesome
>>
>>3825170
>Oh, so your name is STEVEN. That's an odd name, but a good one. It's nice to meet you, STEVEN.
>>
>>3825146
My autism won't allow me to change character names, everything must be as intended. I'm a color inside the lines kinda guy, just like the ladies love. I'm single and ready to mingle.
>>
>>3825146
i always name the characters after their cannon names.
>>
>>3825219
This.

And for second playthroughs I name them after my favorite band members.

Having friends and stuff is gay.
>>
Marle=Nadia
Robo=R66-Y
Frog=Glenn
Magus=Janus
>>
>>3825373
Me gusta.
>>
Aerittttthhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>3825148
/thread
>>
I think i learned something from this thread:
>>3815797

How to play an RPG: Drink a shitfucking ton of beer and grind. Watch your levels go up and get drunk. Then commence with the story.
>>
>>3825550
Won't deny I actually did that for FFVI.
>>
>>3825162
Because BUTTZ.
>>
>>3825373
For me
>Marle=unchanged
>Robo=T260G
>Frog=French
>Magus=Pico
>>
I used to go full-on Tolkien-faggot and rename them all pseudo-fantasy names.

But I found myself getting confused as fuck if I needed to read a walkthrough so I stopped.
>>
In retrospect I find it kind of hard to believe that the custom name schtick actually lasted all the way through the PS1 era
>>
>>3825146
No I don't. I've never had friends.
>>
>>3825169
OP tism level: 4/10

This post: 10/10
>>
>>3825146
Character 1: my name
Character 2: name of my best friend
Character 3: name of the girl at school that I had a crush on
Character 4: my dog's name
>>
>>3827221
you are boring
>>
>>3827236
Don't you want to set off on an adventure with your best friend, your girlfriend and your loyal canine? That's a sweet life man.
>>
>>3825146
that sounds rather arbitrarily self-flagellating.
>>
I used to always name everyone after my friends at the time, but 20 years later when everyone has splintered off to the four corners of the earth, all it does is make me sad. I'll boot up old saves and see the names of my best friends from middle and high school and the first real girlfriend, and then ask myself where everything went so wrong.

Now I just avoid the pain altogether and use the default names for everyone. Only time I use custom names now is for generic style characters that aren't plot relevant, like Ogre Battle characters.
>>
back in the day when I was a little kid I used to always name
Cloud = Venom
Tifa = Paz
Aries = chico
And when aries died i'd switch her in for cid who I usually named either Miller or Ocelot
>>
File: 1485914622491.jpg (96KB, 625x774px) Image search: [Google]
1485914622491.jpg
96KB, 625x774px
>>3825170
>enter a name with proper capitalization
>it turns out every other name is written in ALL CAPS
>>
>>3825169
>not naming cloud sephiroth
>>
File: roger-hill-the-warriors.jpg (170KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
roger-hill-the-warriors.jpg
170KB, 640x359px
I always name my Tactics characters as notable Square characters for the respective job I plan for them to stay in.

>mfw I get a Squire with over 70 faith already pre-named Leon
>>
>>3825169
>Aerith

how about using the canonical western spelling instead of your 'made up frilly bull shit'?
>>
>>3827338
What was her name in Kingdom Hearts?

What was her name in Advent Children?

What was her name?
>>
>>3827351
I think it's interesting that people who complain about the s are almost entirely from the column of people who care only about the original work while anyone who wants the th deal with the expanded universe.
>>
>>3827375
The one thing the expanded universe got right was that bitches name.
>>
>>3827351
>>3827379

>disney games
>direct to dvd movies
>funkopop dolls
>got it right
wew
>>
>>3827386
I think you misread his post.
>>
File: odin1.gif (10KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
odin1.gif
10KB, 200x300px
>>3825146

I name my JRPG characters after the norse gods.
>>
>>3827407
What do you name your summons?
>>
Canon/default name otherwise Dirk, or Wally
>>
>>3827429
He wouldn't have to change anything if he were creative and named them shit like Balder or Freya or whatever.
>>
Come on guys we've been through this

>when specifically referring to the original game or fan works (doujins) specifically based off the original game
Aeris
>all other cases, i.e. talking about KH or the Compilation
Aerith
>>
>>3825169
>Aeris = Aerith

If you're a complete fucking queer maybe. Aerith sounds retarded
>>
>>3827351
>What was her name in Advent Children?

Her?
>>
>BUTT
>DUMB
>TURD
>PEE

Because naughty words were against the rules in my house and my mom was a nosy bitch
>>
File: aerith dog.jpg (10KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
aerith dog.jpg
10KB, 225x224px
>>3828527
>Aerith
>>
i just put random numbers for their names
>>
>>3825146
The only time I ever name characters is if they don't have canon names or if I'm doing a nuzlocke
>>
>>3825169
You forgot

Dagger = Garnet
>>
>>3827294
>when I was a little kid I used to always name them
>Venom
>Paz
>Chico
>MGSV was released in 2015

reported for underage
>>
File: squall03.jpg (36KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
squall03.jpg
36KB, 640x448px
>>3825146

I never really changed the names but we had one kid in our class who did. That in itself was fine and all but he would keep using his names in conversations, so while we where sharing secrets and tips he'd round the corner bragging about how he got Bruno's limit break or weapon.

Bruno was Squall apparently. I don't get it either, nobody even knew a Bruno.
>>
>>3828605
I can't remember what game it was for but a few months ago I found a guide for a game where the guy renamed all of his characters and referred to them by those names all throughout the guide. It was stupid as fuck.
>>
>>3828630

I don't even like it when lets players do it
>>
>>3825146
I always name characters after my cats
>>
>>3828557

..You mean Sarah right?
>>
>>3825146
I always name the main character 'Booty' because I still find it funny

the best FF7 run I've watched, though, had everyone named like so

cloud = dreyen
aeris = scabbard
barret = Mr T
cid = Mr Tea
vincent = candleja
yuffie = tinywoods

and the rest were irrelevant because I forgot their names
>>
I change their names to their last name.

Strife, Highwind, & Kisaragi
>>
>>3828549
yea, i just smash buttons so i can get the fukn game goin. I think i named cloud "Al4ufej32r"
>>
>>3828694
"By the way, I didn't catch your name."
"Mr Snookum"
>>
>>3825146
What friends
>>
>>3825157
Wow. So young, and you've already failed at life. If you legitimately like mens assholes as much as this guy does, you should seriously think about leaving 4chan for your own mental wellbeing.
>>
>>3825146
i usually keep the default names but i recently have started renaming characters after certain characters in fiction

for example i started naming the my characters in the persona games after jojo characters
>>
>>3827294
But MGSV was released in 2015?
>>
>>3825146
That's kind of sad but it resonates with me. I've lost touch with some friends from the past and convinced myself that I don't really miss them, but I still sometimes have dreams about them despite that. The brain is a stubborn thing with a mind of its own.
>>
>>3825148
Haha
>>
>>3825169
> Barret = Mr.T
>>
>>3825373
THIS, I used to rename them like this
>>
>>3827303

This always bugged the shit out of me

>M...my name is also important ;_;
>>
>>3825373
son of a bitch beat me to it
>>
I used to back when I started getting into JRPGs.

Named Cloud after me, Aerith after my crush, and Tifa was named after my cousin.
She used to watch me play and forced me to always have her in the party. In the end she turned up for the Gold Saucer date. So awkward.
>>
I am on a con quest to find the textbase retro/vintage RPG I know you all are knowledgeable to such can I please have a few grand titles thank you
>>
>>3825178
Haha
>>
>>3825146
>Named Aeris after GF
>GF breaks up with me
>Feel like shit until I finish Disc 1
Thanks Sephiroth
>>
I can't feel immersed without using the character's original names.
If i have to create the character or he has no canon name i'll just name him/she something that makes sense according to the setting.
I play a lot of old Koei games, mainly Genghis Khan II, and when i have children, i name them after the character's children in real life.

I'm playing Isaacius II of the Byzantine Empire, so i named my male children John Angelos and Manuel Angelos, Alexius is already born in this scenario.

If i'm playing Salah Al-Din, i'll name the children Al-Aziz, Al-Afdal, Al-Zahir, etc..

If i'm playing Genghis Khan himself, i'll name the children Joti, Jagatai, Ogedei, Tului, etc..
>>
I'm a little obsessive when it comes to character names.

If they have a pre-determined name, that's what I use (ex: Zidane)
If they have no pre-determined name, but there's a material collection or artbook with a canon name, that's what I use (ex: Tir, Riou)
If they have no canon name at all, I just use the name from the manga/novel/drama cd (ex: Arus)
If they have nothing of the above, I just go with my and my friend's name (ex: the party from DQ3)
>>
I name them after Fire Emblem characters usually
>>
No. I have two or three times when I was younger. I don't really approve of it, I mean is your memory of/relationship with them going to change based on what goes on in the game.... imo not a good idea.
>>
>>3825146
I get that (I've named a spider pet in WoW after my ex) but I can never change character names in RPGs, they should be as intended imo, I find it really stupid that people change them, and in fact find it stupid that the option is there

the only name I ever change is redXiii to nanaki and even that is slightly annoying to me but it pays off after we learn his name in game so it makes sense to me that he is called that from that point
>>
>>3825146
Cloud - Zack
Barret - Mr.T
Aeris - RIP
Tifa - Not-Tifa
Red XIII - Nanaki
Cait Sith - Traitor/Trashit
Vincent - Slash
Yuffie - Ninja
Cid - Cosmonaut
>>
>>3825373
If not for the character limit I would have named Robo Prometheus.
>>
I've got a memory card full of saves with the girl I was crushing on back then as the love interest.
>>
>>3825146
In Eye of the Beholder, I created my headcanon party that would follow me into every game where I could rename/create characters. Sadly I have not created any lore around these characters and the reason they can travel together, even more sad now that I have no time or energy.

>Artus, me
>Dakus
>Kipen
>Teturok

>>3831056
>>/reddit/
>>
>>3827303
>name character in all-caps
>automatic -2 on stealth rolls

Why hasn't any game ever done this?
>>
>>3838232
>>Named Aeris after GF
>>GF breaks up with me
Why do I get the feeling these two things are related?
>>
>>3825146
>open a save file from an old jrpg
>the names of my old HS friends are all there
I miss you guys so much ;w;
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.