[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your take on repro carts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

File: delete.jpg (20KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
delete.jpg
20KB, 500x373px
What's your take on repro carts?
>>
Cancer.
>>
>>3824937
Pointless, especially for shit that was given an official release.

Either emulate/buy a flash cart/or stop being a cheap shit and put the money down. There is no reason to give some asshole your money for a repo.
>>
>>3824950
This. Get a flash cart if you want to play on original hardware. Unless the game does not run on a flash cart and the original cartridge costs more than a flash a cart I can't recommend a repro.
>>
How do I know if I received a repro cart?
>>
I wish people would stop calling bootlegs repros.
>>
>>3824962
Do your research before you buy.
>>
>>3824937
If they work just fine and aren't priced out the ass I really don't care.
>>
>>3824970
That does make it sound more official than it really is.
>>
>>3824937
For official NTSC-UC releases, I disagree with them mainly because emulators and flashcarts are much more economical.

I actually have a few, and they're all non-NTSC-UC released games. Mostly JP onry with english translations like Seiken Densetsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon, or games like Terranigma which just didnt get released here.

I think its like anything. If they make you happy fine, but I disagree with making repros of stuff like Earthbound. If you don't want to pay the 200, but are comfortable paying 35+ then you should just save for a flashcart.
>>
If you're gonna use a fake cartridge, then it may as well be a flash cart. To buy a repro which limits you to one game is chest-slapping retarded.
>>
>>3824937
Just buy a Flash Cart.
>>
So long as they're not being sold as legit cartridges then let the poorfags and people too fucking stupid to read Japanese have their knockoff toys.
>>
>>3824937
>repro
The is an English language board. The English word for that is bootleg.
>>
It's like paying for a CDR of a PC game that you already installed.
>>
A good thing since they only piss off scalpers.
>>
>>3825019
>>3825020
why do people do this?
>>
>>3824937
Make them distinct. Like a hack. Or a two in one. Anything like that. And avoid cannibalizing proper carts for them.

That's it. Now you're good.

If you want to be ballsy, construe it as a special version, as a sort of ultimate collector's edition, that doesn't actually exist. If you can pull that off, it's a special kind of good.
>>
File: earthbound-board1.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
earthbound-board1.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
>>3824962
Look at the label? They either look different or have "THIS IS A REPO" written on them.

Unless you mean fakes in which case in this particular example the Seal of Approval looks too round to me.

The only way for sure is to open it up and see what's actually inside, if a seller isn't willing to do something as simple as take a photo of it's circuit then you can be sure that it is a fake.

But you can just get a Nintendo security screwdriver yourself and send back any fakes you get.
>>
>>3825007
I believe the english word is actually "Counterfeit".
>>
>>3824937
They're a complete waste of money unless it's a game like Star Fox 2 or Nintendo World Championships.
>>
>>3825037
With the exception of getting a US brick super nintendo cartridge with a round seal of approval in PAL regions the seal of approval was a round instead of an oval
>>
It's okay if you bought them as a kid and weren't aware they were bootlegs (unless you knew and still bought them because they were cheaper).
Almost all of the SNES games I rented at video clubs when I was a kid were bootlegs and had a Super Famicom shape (BUT they had the 2 ranures on the back so they'd fit a US SNES)
In the early 90s there were some SFC (with SNES renures) bootlegs that were pretty high quality, came in box, with manual and the carts themselves look real and even have the sticker on the back with the stamp and the Nintendo logo on the cart. Later on they made cheaper, more obvious ones (didn't even try to copy the SFC originals anymore, they became lazier and just used US box art, but on SFC-shaped boxes and carts and no manual. They still worked though.
>>
Repros are good only if you want to give a cheap gift to someone who plays SNES and knows nothing about games. Otherwise theres ABSOLUTELY no reason to not get a flashcart rather than a rom in a piece of plastic.
>>
>>3825007
Is reproduction not english?
>>
>>3824950
Flash carts are expensive, repros can be had for a couple of quid. why pay 20 times the cost of a repro if you only wanna get a couple of games.
>>
>>3824962
Most are obvious if they haven't used an official cart shell, cheap plastic, the wrong screws if any, no copyright info, looks brand new despite being a 25 year old game.

And if they have used an official carts shell, then you still usually have lower quality labels and you can open it up to check the circuit board.
>>
>>3826183
I stand corrected, chink flashcarts seem to have dropped in price considerably.
>>
>>3824937
garbage for hipsters
>>
>>3824937
they're ok unless you're trying to sell them as the real deal
>>
I have a bootleg copy of Earthbound. It looks and plays fine. I wish it was the real deal, but I don't see a problem with it.
>>
>>3826165
>Is retardation not english?
>>
As long as they don't cannibalize working cartridges I don't care.
>>
>>3824937
A cancer to gaming
just like the hipsters who want it
and Shina that produces it
>>
>>3824937
Indispensable
>>
>>3826165
The word bootlegs does not exist, the correct one is repro.
>>
>>3824937
They should be getting made. Many particular ones are called for.

Such as SNES versions of the playstation final fantasy.
>>
I hope the market gets flooded with perfect cheap bootlegs. Maybe then it will kill the collectors and resellers leaving only those who just enjoy playing their games.
>>
>>3827736
Top kek kid. Repro isn't even a word. lrn2dictionary
>>
>>3824937
>do they work exactly the same as the originals?
>are they at an accessible price (i.e. not fucking $300)?

If both are a yes, then I don't give a fuck. Retro games are hard to get if you can't import them due to ridiculous taxes, and I just want to play them.
>>
>>3828415
exactly.
>>
>>3824937
I don't care for them
>>
>>3824937
My take is about 90%. I pay $5-$6 to have them made. I sell them for $50-$75.
>>
>>3830361
hmm, it's a kind of take or leave situation
>>
>>3824937
They're too expensive I'll say that too
>>
I don't understand. If you're not buying the actual games, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a flash cart?

Do repros exist for SNES games with enhancement chips that are cheaper than the actual games? That seems to be the only scenario where they make sense.
>>
>>3824937
There is no such thing as a "repro" cart. The word you're looking for is either counterfeit or bootleg. Pick whichever one you like.
>>
i like my bootlegs. Mainly because they are 5$ a piece on aliexpress and i dont feel like shelling out 800$ for a battlemania daiginjo.
>>
>>3825046
there are some other good ones
>>
>>3830510
Some people like to rub their dick one original fake plastic and paper. This is the only thing they'll ever rub their dick on and in the long run cheaper than a woman.

Aside from a few meme games custom chips are the main reason modern bootlegs are made.
>>
>>3827659
Dispensable
>>
I'm thinking of making my own NES carts. Anyone here ever do this?

What's the best places to get parts (which are new, not donor carts), ali express?
>>
>>3833494
I've made Famicom carts. NES would just be a different pinout and a CIC. Where you get parts will depends completely on what you want to do and the skills and equipment you have.
>>
>>3824937
I personally like them
Only way that I got a cart of FFV in english
>>
>>3834043
It's not a FFV cart, it's just a rom with a FFV label put on it. Like if you put a brand-name symbol on your clothing. At least with a fake painting you have the artistry it takes to paint it.
>>
File: final_fantasy_v_ntsc_cart_1.jpg (347KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
final_fantasy_v_ntsc_cart_1.jpg
347KB, 800x600px
>>3834063
>It's not a FFV cart, it's just a rom with a FFV label put on it. Like if you put a brand-name symbol on your clothing. At least with a fake painting you have the artistry it takes to paint it.

It looks and feels like a cartridge to me that has FFV on it
it plays FFV
seems like a repro or bootleg or whatever if you ask me
>>
>>3824943
agreed
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.