[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PAL Region Saturn Mods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: DSC_0080.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0080.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
I got this Saturn a while back, PAL version, model no.: MK-80200A-50, which I believe is a Model 2.However, it appears to natively play Japanese games and is set to NTSC-1-V1 .01a when I look at system settings. It doesn't recognise PAL games unless I have the action replay in, and even then the bottom of the screen is cut off. I understand that it's modded but there doesn't appear to be a switch anywhere. I know that switchless region free mods exist but I've looked them up they way they're modded (hold reset to change the region) doesn't seem to work on mine.

How would I be able to tell what has exactly been done to this thing? I've never modded a console before and have no prior experience with the Saturn so I'm taking a stab in the dark. I can't seem to get in contact with the guy who I got it from, but it wasn't advertised as modded (it did come with the AR though).
>>
open it up
post pics
>>
File: DSC_0081.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0081.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>3824734
Thought I had screwdrivers lying around but can't find them, will have another look. In the meantime all I have is this shitty photo of the back cover, doesn't seem to show anything unless I'm mistaken though.
>>
>>3824772
It shows that its not an early model 2, which means nothing really.
>>
>>3824797
Alright, don't appear to have any screwdrivers in the house, so I'll grab some tomorrow and crack it open.
>>
>>3824731
Either someone put a Japanese motherboard in that machine, or they changed the region jumpers to 60hz and japan.

>and even then the bottom of the screen is cut off.

This is normal. When you run 50hz fullscreen games on a machine set to 60hz, the machine will not display the extra lines. This results in the bottom of the screen being cut off.

>>3824772
Based on that pic, I'm gonna guess the machine has a serial number between AD69 095000 and AD69 145000, right? If so, it is most likely a PAL unit that was modded.
>>
>>3824942
Yeah, you're right about the serial number. Going to open it up tomorrow when I get home from work.
>>
>>3824731
probably the pal mainboard has been switched for a jap one wholesale.
>>
>>3824942
A question regarding the screen cut off. Would I have any problems with American games if I have an action replay?
>>
>>3826324
Why would you want to do that? All the best Saturn games are japanese releases.
>>
>>3826621
Was just curious really. In any weird circumstances where a USA game is cheaper / better than the Japanese version.
>>
>>3826772
>In any weird circumstances where a USA game is cheaper / better than the Japanese version.

None of them are.
>>
>>3825994
>probably the pal mainboard has been switched for a jap one wholesale.

Pretty sure he could tell if it was that from the bios splash having the Japanese logo.
>>
>>3824731
I have a model 2 saturn. It's great!
>>
>>3824731
isnt there a cart to put in the back to get it to play anything? Action Replay?
>>
>>3831170
There is, but it doesn't work for all games and you'll still have issues if you try and play a PAL game on an NTSC Saturn or vice versa. It's best to fit a switch that allows you to switch between 50 and 60.
>>
>>3831173
The best choice is to fit in a region free bios, and a 50/60hz switch. PAL model 1s even have pre-made connector pads for that switch. Then you put the machine into 60hz mode and forget that the switch exists because there is zero reason to ever play PAL games - even the handful of exclusives all play better in 60hz mode (except for that one gokart game).
>>
>>3831264
All of my non Jap games are retail PAL as I'm a UK fag, I think you'll find that many are actually buggy when run in 60hz with sound issues due to the games running faster than they were designed. If you're new to the machine and going to just burn a load of CD's though then this is probably the best policy though.
>>
>>3831264
>forget that the switch exists because there is zero reason to ever play PAL games - even the handful of exclusives all play better in 60hz mode
i've heard that some games like virtua fighter 2 run at a higher resolution in PAL
>>
>>3831275
There's not a single PAL (or US for that matter) Saturn title that you couldn't get way cheaper as a JP original.

I think the most you lose out that way is the extra music track in the PAL release of Baku Baku, which is actually pretty damn baller.

>>3831276
Yes, and the extra resolution also squishes the aspect ratio.
>>
>>3831858
Actually the point of the extra lines is so the aspect ratio is not squished. Letterboxing occurs for PAL games because they don't have extra lines for PAL.
>>
>>3831858
>There's not a single PAL (or US for that matter) Saturn title that you couldn't get way cheaper as a JP original

Possibly, but not all of us can read moonrunes.
>>
>>3832713
>Actually the point of the extra lines is so the aspect ratio is not squished.

You misunderstand. Games don't get more detail, they just slap 16 bonus lines on the top and the bottom. This results in the screen being squashed compared to the NTSC originals.
>>
>>3824731
Locked for you?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.