[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I have bought it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
I went to my favorite local value world today with my gf hoping to pick out a birthday gift for her to buy for me. What should I see upon walking in other than an Atari 800xl in box? Sitting next to the entrance, in a general pile, were three boxes; one containing the main console, one containing the disk drive, and a third containing the printer and a loose assortment of wires, joypads, and what looked to be over 50 game cartridges, a folder full of floppy disks, and a huge stack of programming books and programming magazines. I immediately began salivating.

Unfortunately, they were asking 250 for the lot and I have a general rule not to spend more than 100 dollars at Value World. So I didn't buy it. Instead I bought the boxed, mint Turbo Grafx 16 sitting behind the counter for 20 bucks. When I mentioned the Atari to the lady at the counter she mentioned she thought it was way too pricey and the managers were talking about discounting it if it didn't sell. So I left.

I don't know much about 8-bit computers/Atari but the more and more I think about it the more I'm feeling I passed up a fucking goldmine. I wanna try to haggle with the managers a bit, but I'm afraid of some other neckbeard coming through and snatching it while I'm deliberating. What should I do?

Here's some pics of the collection.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2923x2923px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2923x2923px
Disk Reader
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2872x2872px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2872x2872px
the misc box. legit like 50 games/floppies in here.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2898x2903px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2898x2903px
Here's a pile of the books included. It ranged from original manuals to game books to Atari Fan Magazines. This is really why I'm kicking myself over not buying it, this stuff seems impossible to find.
>>
You made the right decision. The TG was the way to go. Maaaaaaybe a cart or two in there that would be worth some money, but those machines aren't too rare and the disk drives rarely work.
>>
Atari fan here. I think that if you dont collect consoles, 250 for a 800 is TOO much money, even with the box. For that money you could get the XEGS, which is the definitive 8bit Atari computer and get a flashcart and still have some money left. I know the floppy reader is cool, but is very slow and the games tend to get corrupted easily.
>>
So yeah, do I try to spitball the thrift store people or should I show up when it opens tomorrow and buy the lot outright. Really tempted to do the latter, everything was boxed and in styrofoam so I'm sure everything works at that.

Unrelated pic, but here's the boxed Turbo Grafx my gf bought me for the b-day instead
>>
After checking ebay i'd day yes
>>
File: IMG_3368.png (526KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3368.png
526KB, 800x587px
>$20 mint in box Turbo
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2787x2787px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2787x2787px
>>3822945
whoops
>>
>>3822952
You are one lucky motherfucker.
>>
>>3822949
At least it wasn't a Turbo Duo.
We would've had to track him down and kill him.
>>
>>3822943
>>3822940
considering the amount of crap in the lot would it be worth it just to add to my paltry collection/maybe resell down the line? what if I could get them down to 150/100?
>>
>>3822980

if you want to collect, 150 would be a great price for it. Tell them that 800 computers are common as fuck (which they are) and no one is going to give them more money than that.
>>
>>3822952
Holy shit, my man. That's a once-in-a-lifetime find.
>>
Jesus Christ what is going on in that store? Atari computer stuff has really been going up in price and I could kick myself for passing over so many XE games that I used to always find mixed in with VCS games I'd comb through but a $20 boxed TG-16 right next to it? WTF? Do they price this shit by the pound or what?
>>
>>3823456

probably a very american owner

"Oh yeah, remember Atari? Im pretty sure any 40 years old wants one of those to remember when he was a kid. Just put all those crappy magazines in the box and lets ask to some sucker 250 bucks for it"

"And what about this TG-16?"

"Never heard of shit, probably some chinese crap. Lets puts it 20 bucks, so some freak takes it"
>>
File: image.jpg (696KB, 1773x1773px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
696KB, 1773x1773px
>>3823456
>>3823545
From what I understand, the 800 was priced by a manager based on what he saw on Google and Ebay, and because it came with the original boxes and all the extra shit. The clerk I talked to also mentioned Atari stuff was priced as an antique and given "collector" prices, which they agreed was bullshit because you don't go to a thrift store to spend hundreds of dollars.

The Turbo was behind the counter when I got there and according to the clerk, someone else had come in and told them there were games missing, so they set it aside until the manager who priced the Atari could look at it. When I told them that it was all there and I'd love to buy it, they offered it to me for 20 bucks. They were really cool, and agreed to let me know if the Atari went down in price.

Here's a pic of the manual and game that came with the Turbo.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.