[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit retro opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

>Sonic was never good
>>
>>3820167
but that's true anon...
>>
>>3820167
Do we really need a thread for this?
>>
File: wildride.jpg (193KB, 796x1280px) Image search: [Google]
wildride.jpg
193KB, 796x1280px
Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he must ask himself:
"Was Sonic *actually* good?*.

Look into your heart; there you shall find your answer.
>>
>>3820167

Go away, Rich Evens
>>
tb.h all games are shit
>>
>>3820167
I'd tap that.
>>
The problem with making this thread here is shit opinions are the general consensus. Say stupid shit enough times and stupid shits turn up thinking they're in good company. Every Sonic thread is like this already, inviting them from the first post is just asking for trouble.
>>
Sonic 1 was shit. Every 2nd level felt like it was made by an entirely different team.

Sonic 2 was great

3&K was just ok.
>>
>>3820167
Opinion sprouted by shitters who don't know how to play Sonic, the problem is that they're vocal and hold some industry power e.g. Polygon writers
>>
>>3820174
>sonic was never good because famous youtubers told me so, preventing me from forming my own opinions, and people post garbage dug out from the darkest depths from deviantart on imageboards
ok
>>
>>3820171
>>3820184
>>3820185
>>3820202
>>3820219

All shit opinions... Good job
>>3820221
>>
Hello, in my opinion sonic is not worth the time.
>>
>>3820249
that goes beyond shit opinion into actually retarded

"worth the time" is not something that should enter the conversation when you're talking about playing outdated videogames by yourself
>>
>>3820228
this is the only post in this thread that matters.
>>
>>3820167
People who prefer different Sonic games in a nutshell
Sonic 1: "REEEE REEEE! Sonic went to total shit after 1! Gotta go fast! Don't press buttons! Fucking Americans! REEEE REEEE!"
Sonic 2: "I like all Sonic games, 2 is just the most fun. Loved playing Genesis in my youth"
Sonic CD: "Kek kid, Sonic CD is BY FAR the best that shit franchise has produced, your opinion sucks simply because it's popular and you took it from YouTubers."
S3&K: "This is just the pinnacle of Sonic, the 16-bit masterpiece"
Sonic Adventure 2: "Nothing personnel, kid"

People who hate all of them: "Haha nigga #based GameGrumps BTFOed Sega how can they even recover give like if you agree #familia #dankmemes"
>>
>>3820289
What about people who never liked Sonic, even back in the day?
>>
>>3820289
As someone whose favorite is S3&K, I can agree with these gross generalizations.
>>
>>3820289
>Sonic 1: "REEEE REEEE! Sonic went to total shit after 1! Gotta go fast! Don't press buttons! Fucking Americans! REEEE REEEE!"
This accurately summarises my opinion. Bang to rights, mate.
>>
>>3820289
To be honest, Sonic 1 isn't even "Gotta go Fast!". After Green Hill Zone, everything gets slower.
>>
So this is the wrong opinions thread?
>>
Hiow exactly was mario good? It's a really boring game today. Only nostalgia could account for its continued popularity.
>>
File: portal.jpg (48KB, 267x640px) Image search: [Google]
portal.jpg
48KB, 267x640px
>>3820167
>falling for the mascot platformer meme
No thanks, I'd rather not contract autism.
>>
>>3820497
>nostalgia
New people get introduced to Mario constantly through the new games and virtual console releases
>>
>>3820289
I like all of the 16-bit Sonics, and both Adventure games to boot.
I'm not trying to act all superior or contrarian or anything by claiming CD is my favourite, it simply is.
Though 2 was definitely my favourite as a kid, and I've played the original the most because it's so simple to just blaze trough, can almost beat it with my eyes closed at this point and get all the emeralds.
Now, my only unpopular opinion might be that S3&K, while quite a ride, just isn't as pick up and play as the rest because of sheer length. It's sort of like Metal Slug 3, the grandest experience in the series but not necessarily the one that is the most fun to master.
>>
File: amy-cd-float.png (370KB, 668x990px) Image search: [Google]
amy-cd-float.png
370KB, 668x990px
>>3820174
the answer is yes
all of the /vr/ Sonics have their flaws, some of them significant, but they're well made games
the fact that it attracts autism so badly still confuses me to this day, but whatever

S1 is a game with good controls, nice music and graphics and sets a firm foundation for things. Marble 3, Labyrinth 3, and Scrap Brain 3 (might as well be Labyrinth 4) can fuck off, but the game is pretty good apart from that. I like Scrap Brain 2, but there's bits that I have no idea how to do without getting hit, and it bothers the shit out of me.
S2 improves on S1 a fair bit and ups the speed while making the game bigger and better. I think the game gets a fair bit worse after Mystic Cave Zone, though. I'm convinced that most people who have it as their favorite haven't actually played through the game in a while, and likely didn't make it that far back in the day, we're talking the entire last portion of the game being noticeably worse than the rest.
SCD has wonderful style and cool music, even if the stages are a bit slapdash (Wacky Workbench alone is reason enough to just go after the time stones instead of making good futures by going back to the past).
S3 makes things even bigger and better. S&K is literally the second half of S3 and just as good. There's some weak stages (Marble Garden, Sandopolis 2, Carnival Night 2 being the worst of the lot), but it's otherwise fantastic.

>>3820219
S1's design is deliberate. I think it was a mistake to chunk it up as heavily as they did (S2 and 3 fix this), but they wanted to have sections with heavier platforming.
S1 switches between faster paced and slower paced zones. So, GHZ is fast, MZ is slow. SYZ is fast, LZ is slow. SLZ is fast, SBZ is slow. If the contrast was between acts, with each zone having fast and then slow acts, that would have been much better than whole zones being slow.
>>
>>3820167
>can't into fast
>>
"The first Donkey Kong Country is the best one."

It is though.{/spoiler]
>>
Sega just kinda sucks as a whole
>>
>>3820509
This is true. But the "young people" I talked to about it all said it was boring.
>>
>>3820582
wait
>>3820509
>new games
You can say the same about Sonic. We are talking about the old games and why they were "never good". Old Mario games were "never good" in the same way.
>>
>>3820582
If by "young people" you mean teenagers or pubers then it's only logical, they're going through the angsty phase, Mario is too cheerful and happy.
Kids still love it, and some of these teenagers will eventually outgrow that teenager angst phase (some others, however, won't).

Point is, Mario still sells and people of all ages still like it.
Nostalgia is more like people supporting kickstarters to revive old IPs or support stuff like Inafune's Rockman ripoff, but Mario is somewhat timeless, it goes beyond just nostalgia, it's a traditional video game that parents and kids all like and play together.
>>
>>3820167
or "Things i like but people hate, and that angers me". This board truly is doomed.
>>
>>3820590
Obviously, Merio existed for the teens in question when they were little kids. Mario did not seem to rub off on them the way it did on the first generation that experienced it.
>>
>>3820592
People have always hated that other people like things they don't. Get off your high chair.
>>
>>3820601
Maybe it's the people who should get off their high chair.
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 600x549px
>>3820289
> StH: "CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIN"
>>
>>3820167
>implying its not okay when sega does it
>>
>>3820289
What's it like imagining people that piss you off all day?
>>
>>3820289
I wonder which one of those is you.

But I agree that 2 is the best. Also, the most popular to this day.
>>
>>3820435
Here you go:
"I never liked Sonic. Yeah, I must say that I had SNES and my parents didn't want to buy me Genesis. And yeah, all of my friends had SNES too and I read every issue of Nintendo Power… B-but, buuut, you totally have to agree that Sonic just doesn't cut it. Not because my childhood memories prevent me from ever accepting it, but just because … You know… It's just bad, OK. Like every other game by Sega. Maybe if Sonic was on SNES, then we'd talk"
>>
>>3820228
This, every "Sonic was never good" fag just ends up parroting Previously recorded and Jontron. They either never played any Sonic game before, or played it and then started not liking it because "These popular youtubers said so, I can't form opinion"

Also it's not really like Previously recorded's opinion matters as it's literally "We're just going to play Sonic 2, we never played this game before... oh no we suck! The game sucks!". You might as well have some one who has never played SMB before play Super Mario Bros. and suck at it, and say "Mario was never good". You can practically do this with literally every single game or piece of media really.
>>
>>3820926
>I read every issue of Nintendo Power
pfffffhahahaha
>>
File: Projecting.jpg (29KB, 490x333px) Image search: [Google]
Projecting.jpg
29KB, 490x333px
>>3820926
>>
>>3820167
sonic is lierly a gimmick
run really fast through a pretty maze till you get to the end. it falls apart level two straight away thats how you can tell its a gimmick. Mario is a platform for gimmicks, flying, surfing, racing so on and so on
not that i dont love both sonic and mario. but you got to accept the truth
>>
>>3820167

The 8-bit versions of Sonic 1 & 2 (same as GameGear versions) were awesome. Genesis 1 & 2 were okay, but only 3 was memorable and truly great. (Sonic & Knuckles was shockingly bad).
>>
>>3820989
This is a shit opinion, yes?
>>
>>3820990
>Sonic & Knuckles was shockingly bad
Now we're cooking with shit.
>>
>>3820991
its a fact dude. play marble zone for 5 minutes and you will agree im right
>>
>>3820993
i love sonic knuckles its the best
>>
All retro games are terrible. There is literally no reason to play retro games, as they are all terribly made, without exception, and boring to boot.
>>
>>3820982
I'm not really projecting as I like all Sonic games, but you just have to be really biased towards Sega to prevent yourself from enjoying the series. Unless you totally hate every platformer in existence, or retro games in general.
Don't get me wrong, there's an exception from every rule, but really disliking Sonic is like saying "I like fighting games, but I fucking hate every game from Capcom, SNK, Sega and Namco". Then, dude, what the hell do you even like if you're so damn picky?
>>
>>3820994
Marble Zone is easy as fuck
>>
>>3821005
This is a good point.
I can't imagine someone saying they only like Capcom fighting games, for instance. It doesn't really happen, does it?
>>
>>3821008
Marble Zone has great music. It has that movie soundtrack feel to it.
>>
>>3821005
>"I like fighting games, but I fucking hate every game from Capcom, SNK, Sega and Namco". Then, dude, what the hell do you even like if you're so damn picky?

Mortal Kombat series, of course.
>>
>>3820990
is this post a bad opinion, because half is okay and half is shockingly bad

Sonic 2 on SMS is still pretty bad, even without the first boss being obnoxious like on GG, but Sonic 1 8-bit is a brilliant little game.
Dunno why Sega didn't get Ancient to do the rest of the 8-bit stuff, the Aspect games weren't as good until like Triple Trouble (Chaos is solid, but hilariously, ridiculously easy, even by Sonic standards -- was the first Sonic game I beat as a kid, and I was awful at games back then).
>>
>>3821014
>Sonic 1 8-bit
This was the reason I thought it wasn't a Shit Opinionâ„¢ at first. Very fond memories of that game.
>>
I wasn't intentionally shitposting. Sonic 1 8-bit truly is my favorite in the whole series. And I've never understood the love for S&K. Maybe I need to revisit it.
>>
>>3821009
No, I mean there are some Capcom purists, but it's all just bias. And if you hate all 4 companies… That just doesn't make sense. Objectively speaking, all 4 companies make excellent fighting games. And the same can be said about Sonic, the first 3 games at least are of the highest quality. They have refined, deliberate mechanics and physics; excellent presentation; good level design. There just really isn't anything bad about them.
Trying to say that Sonic "sucks" is just as biased as one can be.
>>
>>3821019
Probably.
Really, I dunno, other than Sandopolis 2 being really dumb and maybe disliking Death Egg (I like it, but I can see people not liking it), it's pretty much more Sonic 3, just with no water. Heck, I think it's more consistent in terms of quality than 3 alone.

like, I guess it's okay to not like the S&K half, but that does bring to question what you thought was worse about it
>>
>>3820167
Super mario 64 is not a collect-a-thon
>>
>>3821012
it was a awesome soundtrack but platforming with sonic is a hit and miss affair
>>
>>3821487
I always thought collect-a-thon is a nebulous and dumb term.

I wouldn't consider Super Mario 64 a collect-a-thon but I don't really care what's a collect-a-thon or not, I still enjoy Rare platformers for example regardless of that.
>>
File: jimmy.jpg (16KB, 121x145px) Image search: [Google]
jimmy.jpg
16KB, 121x145px
>>3820167
>Quake 2 is better than Quake 1 because the setting is more consistent
>>
>>3821734
>Quake 1 is a good game and not a Doom rehash with shittier color choices and enemies at all
>>
>>3821749
wat is y axis
>>
>>3820167
>Mario is cooler than Sonic
>>
>>3821019
>I wasn't intentionally shitposting. Sonic 1 8-bit truly is my favorite in the whole series.
Came here to post this. Saw you beat me to it. Always get all kinds of shit flung my way when I mention it.
>>
>>3820289
CD fags are the worst.
>>
>>3820167
sonic was cute, but then they tried to make him xxxtreme and it all went to fuck
>>
Zelda 1 is an unintuitive carnival of nonsense that can only be beaten with a guide.
>>
>>3820560
How did the graphics manage to somehow get worse in dkc2? They looked good in the first game and ugly in the second. That, and the fact that you're forced to play as poochy and poochy's girlfriend, you can't play as DK anymore, and there's just too much emphasis on collecting shit.
>>
t>>3820526
>S2 improves on S1 a fair bit and ups the speed while making the game bigger and better. I think the game gets a fair bit worse after Mystic Cave Zone, though. I'm convinced that most people who have it as their favorite haven't actually played through the game in a while, and likely didn't make it that far back in the day, we're talking the entire last portion of the game being noticeably worse than the rest.
this, the beginning is a blast but i literally stop playing after mystic cave zone
>>
>>3820167
I am completely satisfied with having only S-Video for most of my /vr/ consoles
>>
>>3823898
The issue with sonic 2 for me is how buggy it is, even by sonic standards. It seems apparent that they didn't even playtest super sonic.
>>
>>3820167

go back to /v/ you butthurt autist
>>
File: asdf.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>3823901
sumptuous luxury. I am content with not owning any games for any of my consoles!
>>
>>3823864
That reminds me how I write off any person's opinion of Zelda 2 when they say the game has no heart containers.
>>
>>3820167
I grew up during the 8 bit era and I never liked any Sonic game until I got a Dreamcast and played Sonic Adventure.

As for platformers I prefered Strider, Ghost and Goblins series and Willow.
>>
File: disgust.png (51KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.png
51KB, 330x330px
>I like Nu Doom but hate the older Doom games
>>
Pilotwings 64 was good
>>
>>3821734
Quake 2 is better than Quake 1 because MP doesn't consist of rocket launcher and lightning gun spam only.
>>
Ecco, Outrun and Phantasy Star are the only good Sega franchises
>>
>>3826881
That is a shit opinion. The truth is there are NO good Sega franchises.
>>
>>3827170
No, you're a shit opinion
>Outrun
>Alien Syndrome
>Bonanza Bros.
>Virtua Cop
>Virtua Fighter
>Daytona
>Virtual on
>House of the Dead
>Initial D arcade stage
>Space Harrier
>Phantasy Star
>Crazy Taxi
>Jet Set Radio
>>
>>3826859
You've been playing with some shitty players if that's your impression of Q1/Q2 multiplayer.
>>
>>3827468
>implying it isn't true
You only use the shotgun or nailgun if you don't have a rocket launcher or lightning gun. Grenade launcher is occasionally used as well.
>>
>>3820167
I really wanna fuck that Sonic in his hoghole.
>>
File: mappy.jpg (21KB, 200x187px) Image search: [Google]
mappy.jpg
21KB, 200x187px
>>3820167
Sega always ripping off superior Namco games
>>
>>3827428

You could have stopped at Outrun.
>>
>>3827428
This. If you can't find anything to like about any of these games, you are a faggot of unimaginable proportions.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.