[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the easiest solution to repair worn off cartridges?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: post-24636-0-59409800-1315008442.jpg (188KB, 1139x600px) Image search: [Google]
post-24636-0-59409800-1315008442.jpg
188KB, 1139x600px
Is this the easiest solution to repair worn off cartridges?
>>
What are you suggesting exactly?
>>
File: 1487816797038.jpg (176KB, 1139x600px) Image search: [Google]
1487816797038.jpg
176KB, 1139x600px
>>3816502

that the circuits gets ruined by use on the console, so rather than use conductive paint and risk ruining the PCB, just tape some copper adhesive to the circuit.
>>
>>3816494
You need to get the shit that's conductive on both sides to make this work. Even then, it might survive a few times, but I bet the teeth on the connector would pull the tape off and probably get jammed inside the slot.

Maybe if you made like a cartridge condom, kinda like the passthroughs found in Gyromite, could you make this solution last. Then again your cartidge would stick out, and on the original DMG that means the game won't fit.

Another solution is to replace the PCB outright. You could easily map a board out, draw it up in Eagle, and have a board house make you a good number of boards for a hundred dollars. The price seems steep, but the quantity you'd need would be tiny.

Lastly, you could get extreme and do photolithography to make your own board. It would be cheaper than a boardhouse, perhaps, but you'd have to buy some FR4 covered in photoresist, a UV light, and chemicals to etch the copper off. It's messy, but doable.
>>
>>3816494
You could just, you know, clean the fucking pins with alcohol.
>>
>>3817289
Or alternatively, just cover the pins with a thin layer of solder.
>>
Has anyone ever actually seen a cartrige where the pins have worn to nothing?
>>
File: 190363.jpg (38KB, 637x403px) Image search: [Google]
190363.jpg
38KB, 637x403px
>>
>>3816494
hoooh that's a spicy bad idea!

really though, if the carts been played so much the pins are worn through, its time to give it a viking burial. it was well loved and now it is gone. time makes fools of us all
>>
>>3816494
If your game looks anything like that, you need to get a common pencil eraser (the large ones, not the ones actually on pencils) and have at it, then clean it up with some alcohol.
>>
>>3817306
I have a KOF 2002 aes cart with damaged pins, it was like that when I bought it back in 2004 which make me think someone cleaned it with something corrosive.
>>
>>3816494
If the pins are dirty, I just clean it with 91% alcohol and a q tip. If it's really dirt, then I use some brass polish. Works every time I use it.
>>
>>3816494
Easiest? Maybe. At all good? No. You want something more durable for a connector that's going to be used more than once.
I laminate copper foil to the place the missing finger used to be and then join that up to the trace. I have stuff like this that has lasted decades.

>>3817293
No, don't do this. Ever. It's fucking retarded.

>>3817306
Yes, many times. There's no need to even fuck with a board unless this happens. The plating is less than 1mm thick. If 90% of it is gone it's roughly 0.5mm thinner. This makes fuck all difference to the connection. If you're having problems it's because your connector is fucked.
>>
>>3817709
>The plating is less than 1mm thick. If 90% of it is gone it's roughly 0.5mm thinner.

Uhhmmmmm...
>>
>>3817709
>No, don't do this. Ever. It's fucking retarded.

... why exactly?
>>
>>3817765
The solder is very soft and will rub off.
It'll also likely ball up in spots.
>>
>>3817785
I never had it just "rub off".

>It'll also likely ball up in spots.
Not once it cooled down.

Maybe you just suck at soldering?
>>
>>3817798
Nigga, you can squish solder with your bare hands, It's gonna rub off.
>>
>>3817842
Have you seen solder before?
>>
>>3817845
Yes, for years.

Have you not noticed how soft it is?
>>
>>3817798
How the hell would you make the solder flat? If it bulges even slightly it's going to wreak your cartridge port.
>>
>>3817852
Not him, but you have obviously never soldered before. It's soft when it's in a very thin wire, but as a glob it's virtually unbreakable. Don't believe me? Go to the nearest PCB by you and try ripping out the soldered components by hand.
>>
>>3817885
That's because there's lots of surface area between the component and pad for the solder to attach to.

A contact from the cart connector rubbing against the solder every time you insert and remove the cart is completely different.
>>
>>3817756
>Uhhmmmmm...
Is that the sound a kid who can't into math makes?

>>3817765
Because it serves no purpose other than to fuck things up. And if you don't understand that I can guarantee you'll fuck it up royally. Unless the finger is worn down so much that it's not there, or missing substantial parts you don't need to fuck with it.
Fight hard to resist the autistic urge to fix something that isn't actually broken.

>>3817785
>ball up
That's exactly what happens when a tard has a go at a cart with some solder and an iron. I've seen it too many times. There are ways to properly tin an edge connector. And they should only be used if you intend to solder a wire to it.
>>
>>3818009
nigger I know what flux is. what I'm saying is that soldering over degraded pins isn't too bad
>>
>>3818009
>90% of 1mm is 0.5mm
>>
>>3818237
Who said anything about flux champ? Soldering over degraded pins is retarded.

>>3818296
Can't into math and can't read either. Go back and read what I actually wrote. If you have trouble with big words like in "less than" ask your mommy to explain what they mean.
>>
>>3818629
>ask your mommy to explain what they mean.
lol. Jesus christ grow up.
>>
>>3818641
Are you projecting or are you actually an adult who doesn't know how to read?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.