[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NTSC vs. PAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: ntsc-pal.gif (40KB, 740x377px) Image search: [Google]
ntsc-pal.gif
40KB, 740x377px
Is there an instance of a PAL game being superior to its NTSC version?
>>
Has never and will never happen. PAL has never been relevant to gaming.
>>
Yes, if you get a lobotomy.
>>
A lot of Master System games were designed for PAL. And for some reason Truxton runs at the same speed as the arcade version on a PAL console, so it's arguably the true version. Better would be a matter of opinion though, some people might like it running faster.

I've also heard a few people say they prefer the music in SoR3 with PAL slowdown.
>>
>>3816314
>Is there an instance of a PAL game being superior to its NTSC version?

C64 titles mostly (most extreme cases being demos). The PAL model was 20% faster.

Many PAL Saturn titles also had less slowdown for the same reason, and the better ones were optimized, so there was little difference between them and the NTSC versions.
>>
PAL Goldeneye has less slowdowns and a larger vertical resolution than Goldeneye in NTSC.
>>
There's a lot of obscure Jappo PS2 games that were translated to English but only released in PAL regions, like Gregory Horror Show, Space Invaders Invasion Day, or Earth Defense Force.
>>
The Terminator games by Virgin were clearly made with PAL in mind.

The music in particular is just too fast in NTSC. Like Benny Hill fast.
>>
Now i know it isnt retro, But like pal Ssbm had some fuckshit going on, I think marth's down air wasnt a spike and pal as well as Falco's Down air doesn't always spike despite how many frames it has been. Ntsc is just the way to go.
>>
>>3816314
Generally NTSC is faster (For example on F Zero X some lap times are impossible on PAL, and only on the faster NTSC )

But PAL releases tended (In the past anyway) to come a bit later, so they would smooth out any remaining glitches (I would agree this is a good and a bad thing, though)

Also, on PAL releases you can usually get other languages, which is a laugh. I like putting the text in German and Italian and French, helps me learn.

Also, PAL releases tended in the past to get better / different box art, so there's that too.

But otherwise NTSC is generally better, yeah...

Am I wrong in saying PAL retro games will go for more money online, though? That's a bonus if you're selling, I guess. Bummer if you're buying, though.
>>
Is SECAM still in use anywhere? I know there were a (very) few 2600 games that had SECAM releases.
>>
Crash Bandicoot 1 and World Driver Championship have less input lag in their PAL versions.
>>
>>3816314
Yes but no one cares about them. Both of them.
>>
>>3816472
France just got PAL consoles bundled with RGB SCART cables instead of RF. I belive the rest of the SECAM world were playing on chinese clones like the Dendy.

Though it it wouls be interesting to hear if SECAM gamers had their own set of issues.
>>
>>3816314
Maybe, mainly in cases where the only english version is the PAL version (like Terranigma),
but even so you can just use a fan-made patch to make it NTSC, ha.
>>
Being an old senile fuck who can't take 60hz, like Australia-kun.
>>
File: Terranigma.jpg (86KB, 800x540px) Image search: [Google]
Terranigma.jpg
86KB, 800x540px
>>3816314

There sure is!

>pic related
>>
PAL is more cinematic.
>>
>Brazil
>PAL
No.
>>
File: 371da-phalanx-scaled1000.jpg (122KB, 588x445px) Image search: [Google]
371da-phalanx-scaled1000.jpg
122KB, 588x445px
Supposedly they "ran" some of the more intense titles better, e.g. Thunder Force IV had less slowdown etc

A few releases in the past had changes made to remove errors like typos and some glitches. This was mainly a product of how long it took between NTSC and PAL in the past.

Some games were only officially released in English in PAL although this is greatly outweighed by NTSC games which were never released in Europe until digital downloads like Wii store and PSN gained traction.

Some PAL releases had extras. Not retro but some examples, MGS series was famous for this with extra difficulty levels and modes. The original release of FFX had the expert sphere grid and dark aeons day one.
>>
>>3816358
There are 2 SoR3s for PAL. One was basically just the american one and as such has slow music, the second release has speed corrected music and other PAL related fixes. No idea how far and wide they were each distributed. I remember the copy I rented back in the day matching the american one, but 20 year old memories can be faulty.
>>
PAL is generally better for good games. Because of the slowdown you can enjoy them longer.
>>
>>3817457
>Brazil
>anyone actually giving a damn
No.
>>
>>3817558
Slowdown is when a game lags at certain points, mainly due to too many sprites on screen at once. NTSC was more prone to slowdown
>>
Digimon World 2003 (or just Digimon World 3 in NTSC) is actually pretty damn different to the NTSC version since this one has actual postgame, in which the NTSC would just send you back to your save before the final battle, the pal release would let you do endgame

Sadly the pal versions are pretty much meme'd because Digimon World 1 had a gamebreaking glitch on it
>>
>>3817457
PAL-M is more PAL than NTSC.
>>
>>3816314
>lumping PAL and SECAM together
>wew
>>
>>3817678
I never saw the glitch on my PAL version, only found out about it years later
>>
>>3817678
I haven't heard of this one. Or I've forgotten.

Did a quick search and only found a bunch for NTSC.
>>
>>3816392
Yeah, but there are also some good changes, like firefox not being retardedly long and being able to ez gentleman.
>>
>>3816314
If you want harder games, the general accepted knowledge by the early 90s was: PAL>US>Jap

I don't know how often that was actually true.
>>
>>3816314
not /vr/ but Odin Sphere PS2 PAL

there
>>
>>3816314
Yes. A fair bit more than you'd expect, but not enough to matter.

it would have been nice to see really PAL optimized Sega CD games -- I remember reading that you could transfer a hell of a lot more data at once from the Sega CD to the Genesis on PAL machines, resulting in better framerates with scaling effects, video streaming, etc
IIRC, it was due to the lower framerate and longer vblank, so the Sega CD could upload more tiles into Genesis VRAM at once
>>
>>3817912
PAL-M is basically NTSC with the color subcarrier operating at a higher frequency. It's totally incompatible with the standard PAL since both resolution and color frequency don't match.
>>
>>3820550
>resolution
lel
>>
>>3816314
Impossible Mission for the 7800 had a bad bug in the NTSC version which pretty much made the game unwinnable, but which was fixed in the PAL version.

But it still sucks compared to the C64 version.
>>
I think the Europeans got a better version of Mickey Mania and supposedly they had better or more music on their version of Wipeout XL. Those the the only cases I can think of where there was a PAL and NTSC release and the PAL was said to be better.

I think there may be cases where the PAL region getting a later release may have bugfixes. I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

There are all those titles which did not release here and somehow got a release in PAL regions. I remember the Dreamcast getting some games which did not get released here in the US like Head Hunter and Shenmue 2. Also Terranigma for the SNES is a real shame that it never got a chance in the US.

There ahs to be some very interesting Master System games in PAL regions because it bombed in the NTSC regions. People keep saying how it did so well in Brazil, so maybe some original content/titles could be great.
>>
>>3821697
Is the PS version if MM really the definitive?
I thought it looked less vibrant, like the colors are washed out and some of the redesigns don't work as well as on the original.
>>
>>3820538
I was willing to play Odin Sphere recently, why PAL is better?
>>
>>3821709
Well, I cannot say for sure. It does seem like the game should have the benefit of a higher colour count, CD music, and more raw processing for the tower, moose chase sections, and loading. I have not played the Euro PS version myself to say as I am not fond of the SegaCD version myself (since it was a free game because I found it tossed out in an alley and it was no Castle of Illusion which was mediocre as well, not bait just my opinion). With all those advantages the Playstaion version has, how could it not be the definitive version?

Looked up a comparison video, and it does seem to be the case:
https://youtu.be/3Qk8UI-BOt4
>>
>>3816390
Wait, Gregory Horror Show wasn't released in the US? I loved that game when I was younger, one of the PS2's best imo.
In other related news, be glad you never got Doshin the Giant. It blew.
>>
>>3821718
Not as much slowdown, I think.
>>
Yes, PAL60hz games.
But Gamecube isn't retro.
>>
>>3816336
t. American
>>
>>3822271
Dreamcast is
>>
>>3816314
I want to see a version of that map where the countries' sizes are changed so their area is proportional to the total number of console games sold. So we can see the geographical spread of NTSC/PAL and the popularities on one map.
>>
I think Spyro 3 had some musical glitches in NTSC
>>
Zone of the Enders 2. It has a lot of extras like new modes, rebalanced gameplay, more consistent framerate, etc.
>>
>>3824554
All black label copies did pretty sure.
>>
PAL does what NTSCan't.
>>
>>3817437
If you like movies that play 4% faster. And no fucking pitch correction.
>>
>>3817912
PAL-M is what happens when you take only the shitty parts of PAL and mix them with only the shitty parts of NTSC.
>>
EUROPEAN EXTREME
>>
>>3816314
Sonic CD has the japanese soundtrack in the PAL version.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.