[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I get proficient at shooting games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: COVER-Fantasy_Zone.jpg (157KB, 400x405px) Image search: [Google]
COVER-Fantasy_Zone.jpg
157KB, 400x405px
How the fuck do I get proficient at shooting games?
>>
>>3814234

Practice.

And save states if you're a scrub like me, but you're not really good if you do that.
>>
>>3814238
How the fuck did people play this with an arcade stick? I play Fantasy Zone on mame with my arcade stick and I feel like there is definitely less precision than playing with a dpad or keyboard.
>>
>>3814241
what kind of stick do you have? some are definitely better than others, i'd much rather play on d-pad than american style bat top sticks too.
>>
File: 6232273.jpg (16KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
6232273.jpg
16KB, 500x373px
>>3814515
A generic sanwa balltop.
>>
>>3814530
shmup players usually prefer seimitsu for the shorter throw and distance to engage, helps with more precise movements. depending on which sanwa you have it could be ok, i've been using a sanwa JLF with an oversized actuator mod for a while which is great for me.

just takes practice. one trick i heard from an old shmup player who may or may not have been fucking with me, was to rotate the square gate into a diamond shape to remove diagonal movement. i've never tried it though because i'm a huge pussy.
>>
>>3814241
do you know about "riding the gate" ?

don't do that, basically
>>
>>3814234
Play games with simpler mechanics first such as breakout and its clones (e.g., arkanoid). It really helps, at least for me.
>>
>>3814542
>shmup players

are all autists.

Just use whatever type of controller you play better with. I couldn't for the life of me beat any shmup with an arcade stick, even after installing an 8-way restrictor for the diagonals, I could still barely control the game. The same games that I can 1cc casually on hardest difficulty with a d-pad.

only game that I could actually play better with an arcade stick was Virtua Fighter 2...
>>
Focus on trying to beat your best score, rather than getting further than you last did.

Since 95% of shooting games have score-based extends, learning the scoring system will help you get more lives, and act as a cushion for difficult bits later in the game.
>>
>>3814893
I like shmups, but weird scoring systems that disincentivize killing everything in sight just piss me off.

I really don't understand what people see in, most notably, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga. There just isn't enough autism in my body to purposely avoiding shooting at 2/3rds or half (respectively) of the enemies onscreen at any given point in time, it just irritates me. I don't like putting a lot of thought into the shooting, I like threading the needle through a storm of 100,000 bullets and making it out the other side alive much more.
>>
>>3814893
>I like shmups, but weird scoring systems that disincentivize killing everything in sight just piss me off.
Just play old-school games, not that hard anon
>>
>>3815063
Oh I definitely do. It's just weird, I consider myself a big fan of shmups but the treasure games seem to be considered by everyone to be the best shmups ever made, and they just don't do anything for me at all.
>>
I suck at Fantasy Zone.
I love playing the version on the 3DS but I've never made it past Round 6.
I can beat Round 4 without dying but once I get to Round 5, I'm fucked. Especially if I die once to the Snowman boss. If I lose my weapons and have to take him on with the default gear, it's game over for me.
I can't use the coin bank or save states because it feels like cheating.
>>
>>3815085
>considered by everyone
not even close
>>
>>3815085
>but the treasure games seem to be considered by everyone to be the best shmups ever made
Maybe by normies, this genre is too big and varied to take seriously the "objective best ever" memes.
>>
Be born in Japan.

Filthy gaijin cannot master the art of superplaying.
>>
>>3815169
Yeah, it took me forever to beat the 3DS version. The last stage requires a bit of strategy and using a 10-Ton Bomb at just the right moment. Very fun and well-designed game, but ergonomics make the difference in runs ending too soon and doing a 1CC.
>>
>>3816527
Fantasy Zone is a game that if you know what you're doing you can finish it really quick.
>>
>>3815991
Japanese people are inferior.
>>
>>3816527
The 3DS versions of every Fantasy Zone kills my hands.
>>
>>3816824
>>3816527
Those ports are incredible but neither the circle pad or the D-Pad are good enough.
The games look absolutely gorgeous at a 1:1 pixel ratio though. I just wish that I didn't have to choose between excellent additional content or lesser controls.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.