[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ps1 long boxes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 20170221_141608.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170221_141608.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
Do you like them? Reminds me of the super early era of serious 3d videogames around 95, as if they were trying to make a movie-esque experience.

Any long-boxers here?
>>
>>3814096
They're cool from a collectors standpoint, but they suck because they don't fit in with standard jewel cases.

I have two, kings field and resident evil.
>>
I love all Sony cases. They're all so sexy.
>>
I had some from back in the day and I still pick them up when I find them for $2 unless it's a really really bad game
>>
>>3814130
Like cyberspeed??

Game is utter barf in futuristic racer form.
>>
>>3814169
I'm pretty sure I've got that one in longbox...
>>
>>3814096
Hey man just wanted to say that Sega first made them for the Sega CD, and Sony later on adopted them for the PS1.
I'm looking for brand new ones without having cannibalize other games, without any success so far.
>>
something i've been wondering about...
why were some games released in both the plastic-case and cardboard-case variants? if one was cheaper to produce, then why make both or switch to the other?

the only thing i've figured out is that being early releases wasn't the only criteria. air combat and rayman were both launch titles for ntsc-u, yet ac was only released in a plastic longbox whereas rayman was released in both.
>>
>>3814213
Early games were in plastic, later on some were in both plastic and in carton and finally we had just in carton.
I guess they thought it was cooler that way, until they saw it was much cheapter to produce them for plain cd cases.
>>
File: 1472156784779.jpg (27KB, 540x456px) Image search: [Google]
1472156784779.jpg
27KB, 540x456px
>>3814169

>utter barf
>>
>>3814096
Terry Pratchett's Discworld was my favorite. Although, admittedly I preferred to play it on PC seeing as the load times weren't as long.
>>
>>3814236
interesting, thanks.

i had figured it'd be the other way around because the progression (carton->plastic longbox->plastic jewel case) seemed logical in terms of case material. but it makes a lot more business sense to go from existing product (saturn cases) when you aren't certain how long your production runs will be to cheaper product (cartons) once you know you have a lot more to produce. i'm assuing cartons are cheaper... they certainly feel cheaper.

i suppose the production runs of air combat just missed the carton phase.

other stuff for the thread...

list of ps1 longboxes:
https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?4790#post39199

when you can't make up your mind on cover art:
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=851.0
>>
>>3814117
This. I have the longbox for Loaded, and while it's a neat little novelty, it's a bitch & a half to find a place to store it. Right now I just have it laying atop the CD case where I keep the rest of my PS1 games.
>>
I'd pick up any longbox I'd see in the wild
so far I only have Descent
>>
>>3814096
Yes. Better looking and more durable than jewel cases. I have no problem storing them because I don't live in my moms basement.
>>
>>3814096
Nah, the smaller cases are so much more beautiful. Modern cheap plastic bullshit casing can't compete.
>>
File: 100_3941.jpg (694KB, 1739x2341px) Image search: [Google]
100_3941.jpg
694KB, 1739x2341px
I like them. I want to collect them all, but there are over 100 and I rarely see them in the wild. It was a sad day when I found Decent at a flea market, but the entire front part was gone. Pic is my current small collection.
>>
>>3814536

I agree about jewel cases looking amazing, the long boxes hold a special place in my heart, wish I had that Loaded longbox someone was talking about!

Don't you guys think the cardboard ones will be worth more in the future? Usually I see all the NHLs looking like they were used to scrub a warehouse floor..
>>
no, and i don't think we had many of them in the UK
maybe the occasional one
but 99.9% came in cases twice as thick as a CD case
>>
Where can I find replacement longboxes?
Mine has broken hinges.
>>
>>3814096
The only long box I have is Resident Evil.
>>
>>3814096
Yea I got the King's Field one.
>>
>>3814096
I've got the long box Road Rash. Been wanting to get Resident Evil and Kings Field. Maybe Wipeout too.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.