[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro games on the go - PSP or 3DS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4

File: Untitled.png (203KB, 1058x454px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
203KB, 1058x454px
3DS is now easy to hack and emulate older systems, so puts it on par as PSP. Which system is the better one for emulating 8-bit and 16-bit systems? Is the (N)3DS significantly more powerful?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>3812565
N3DS has better GBA and SNES compatibility.
PSP has best PS1 compatibility.
Last I checked, 3DS can't emulate Sega CD (whereas PSP can).

PSP is a bit comfier to hold, but that may just be personal preference.
>>
>>3812565
Xperia Play.

>Cheaper
>More portable
>Better screen
>Better emulation of all consoles, bar PS1 (PSP has it beat in that regard)
>>
>>3812565
Side note, but when did PSP prices shoot up?

I was looking at getting one last year, and they were like $40, then I was looking again last month and all I can find are like $100.
>>
What about Vita?
>>
>>3812743
The proprietary memory card kills it.
>>
>>3812565
i love my psp
https://youtu.be/kSBbTQ5dmIk
>>
>>3812574
How do you set up emulators for a New 3DS? What's the process? Is it easy?
>>
>>3812857
Follow the tutorial at 3ds.guide
Install emulators as .CIA files.
>>
>>3812864
>Q: I am on the latest system version, is my device hackable?
>A: No

Then wat do?
>>
>>3812887
Wait, and avoid updating any further if new firmwares are released. Not much else you can do as even hardmod downgrades have been fixed by 11.3
>>
File: C5I7yRtW8AEpPY-.jpg (308KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C5I7yRtW8AEpPY-.jpg
308KB, 1200x1200px
>>3812896
Okay, thanks.

>mfw
>>
>>3812662
You're probably looking at the wrong place. PSP prices haven't shot up, and probably won't be until maybe 15 years later. There are plenty of dirt cheap ones around.
>>
>>3812632
No thanks, I'm not looking for a smartphone.

>>3812743
Vita isn't *as* easy to hack, plus as anon said the proprietary memory card is a big deal.
>>
>>3812565
all retro games look unbearably ugly on 3DS

and a vita is the easiest to hack you just open a website

love me vita for retro, god the d-pad makes me cum just thinking about it
>>
>>3812756
Can you not get a Vita memory stick to microSD like you can with MSPD to MicroSD for PSP? I haven't owned a Vita so I have no idea of the specifics, my only experience is getting a microsd adapter for my PSP so I dont have to pay out the ass for a 32gb card.
>>
i'd probably go with 3DS because of screen size (XL is even better)

and yeah, forget about VITA in this case
>>
>>3813780
Probably not. The Vita Memory card is about the same size as a microSD, so there's really no room for an adapter.
>>
>>3813667
You don't have to use it as a smartphone you nigger. Put it in airplane mode and its battery life lasts longer than the N3DS and PSP COMBINED.

You can use it just as you would any other Android handheld.
>>
>>3813752
This. The 3DS's screen only allows SNES games to be displayed in 8:7 which causes everything to look squished.

Not to mention its D-pad is in a horrible spot for retro vidya.
>>
As of ver 11.3 on the 3ds you could still install the homebrew launcher using soundhax, the emu and the free games come with Luma and FBI, which havent't been patched in yet.
Give it some time anon
>>
>>3812887
Sell it and get the new Nintendo 3ds for vc injects which the feature alone is worth it if you're into emulation especially
>>
>>3812887
get a DSTWO+ card, it has built in SNES,GBA,NES and (if I recall) MAME and Gen emulators
>>
>>3814951
Isn't the DSTWO+ card limited to the DS system's power? That'd make it rather useless for emulation.
>>
>>3815020
It has a built-in CPU to help with emulation.
You're still stuck with a crappy resolution though.
>>
>>3815071
A crappy resolution scaled to the 3DS' 240p resolution.

Double the wonky scaling.
>>
>O3DS
Not very good. The SNES emulator is decent, but you don't get much else. GBA is perfect but that's not /vr/. Needs to be on a firmware which isn't the latest, from about a fortnight ago.
>N3DS
The same deal, except they all run a bit better. A little bit of PS1 support.
>PSP
Extremely affordable and hackable on any firmware. Great support for PS1. SNES support is a bit lacking, especially on the 1000 but tolerable for most non-chip games. Has a great CPS2 emulator.
>Vita.
Hackable only on 3.60 firmware from about Autumn last year.
The emulators are still lacking. You can play up to 4th gen without issues but that's all. No proper PS1 support *yet* but it should be on the way. Improved 3D libraries are also supposed to be coming for better emulation in general.
As of a recent discovery, ARK can be installed on 3.63 (latest) to gain PSP piracy and homebrew. VHBL should work indefinitely for PSP homebrew too.
Also, I have to mention that d-pad. It's better than sex. I also must mention the extortionate memory card prices.
>>
>>3815225
Thing is if I get the 3DS I'll also be able to play new games, and I am personally quite interested in several new exclusives. For that reason overall the N3DS may be the best choice.
>>
N3DS for 8-16-32bit consoles. Seriously the screen is glorious for them. look crisp af while on my PSP they look stretched or blurry. Plus SNES is actually good on the N3DS.

PS1 however is PSP. Great portable PS1.
>>
What PSP version is the best for emulation?
>>
>>3816205
PSP Go has
>internal 16GB storage
>docking
>tv-out (as with PSP)
>Dualshock (or other bluetooth PS inputs)

These are strong points, but it only takes Sony proprietary M2 cards which are different and much rarer than regular Memory Stick Pro Duo. Regular PSPs can use MicroSD cards with a chink adapter which may be the ultimate deal breaker between the two.
>>
>>3812662
Check local Pawn Shops. I was in a Pawn Shop yesterday and they had used PSP's for around $40.
>>
>>3816205
PSP 2000
>double the RAM of 1000 (and therefore some emus function only on 2000)
>isn't cumbersome to use as PSP Go and bigger screen
>can use cheap microSD cards with adapter

Another anon said Go but I disagree. Internal memory isn't really necessary, and 2000 has the TV out feature too. I personally find the Go harder to use in its slide form factor.

Also I'm not sure about 3000. It is very similar to 2000 but I *think* I once read that some kind of emu or something doesn't run on it? (I might be wrong). But with 2000 you're always safe.
>>
>>3812842
duuuuuuuuuudddeeee...... your ps1 collection is making me wet.
>>
>>3816228
>tfw own a PSP 1000
Reading this kinda hurts
>>
>>3816316
Dont worry too much, it's still capable of the majority of emus, only a select few will not work (such as MVSPSP)
>>
So Im guessing (N)3DS would be better for all systems except of course PS1?
>>
Is there anyway to do multiplayer in emulators and PSX games with the PSP?
>>
>>3812565
PSP is awesome overall and can handle PSX games natively, but it's SNES emulation (especially mode 7 and rotational sprites) leaves much to be desired. 3DS, not sure about the emulation but it can handle SD cards up to at least 64 gigabytes and is a great system overall for games.
>>
>>3816489
PSP Go required
or PSTV
>>
File: P6BA7EM.jpg (20KB, 599x448px) Image search: [Google]
P6BA7EM.jpg
20KB, 599x448px
PSP is better choice IMO.
Better screen, more storage, comfy.
And most of the games where intended to be played on one screen in the first place.
And with PSP you can play PSX titles natively.
>>
>>3816205
PSP 3000.
>>
>>3815225
>Great support for PS1

I agree about this, but there are a few important games that don't seem to work very well. Tekken 3 freezes after arcade mode for me, and Chrono Cross froze after the first boss battle. Kind of makes me reluctant to play longer games for fear that I might get stuck at the end.
>>
>>3817113
Thats unfortunate, i've only had problems with one game and thats devils dice, which freezes after the ps1 logo screen.
Everything else i've played has worked perfectly, and i have played a hell of alot of ps1 on my psp.
Actually thats a lie, duke nukem land of the babes had some glitches when underwater.

Where are you getting your roms from, and what firmware are you on?
I'd recommend getting all ps1 games from emuparadise. They have a great section called psx>psp.
>>
>>3817113
that why I always try to get the official PSN version if one is available
>>
>>3817146
I think I got them from emuparadise actually. But I might try redownloading Tekken 3, since I think I did the conversion for that myself.
>>
I've had issues with Worms Armageddon (freezes on intro) and Destruction Derby 2 (glitches out during race), but otherwise support is overall fantastic
>>
>>3817238
no mate the one of emuparadise can be a bit glitchy and often have no music I get the psn versions from nicoblog unfortunately not many psx games where released on the playstation network but all the big names are there like all the tomb raiders and xenogears
>>
>>3817238
the emuparadise version of front mission 3 crashes halfway into the DHZ campaign
>>
I've tried on both o3DS and PSP. o3DS is great for SNES but nothing else. PSP is great for everything but SNES.
>>
>>3817285
N3DS is better at everything compared to o3DS
>>
>>3817285
What SNES titles that are you having issue running?
>>
>>3817161
This is always a great idea not only for compatibility, but they are literally smaller filesize wise than any other converted eboot you'll ever find or make yourself. Hell, Vagrant Story is like 75mb!
>>
Does anyone know of any plugins for PSP that will allow for speeding up the game for PS1 games? I've been trying to get through Digimon World 2 and I just can't anymore, it's too fucking slow.
How about savestates for PS1 games?
>>
on 3ds you can use vc injection to convert games to virtual console format and that will effectively almost definitely work

vc injection has pretty much full compatibility and full speed on all 8 and 16 bit consoles and even the neo geo and cps
>>
>>3817417
How does it work though? Do you still have to keep the rom on your sd card or is it something different/more complicated than that?
>>
New 3ds still has squished graphics for Nes and Snes games?
I can emulate Nes games on my DS, but they all look either squished or with part of the screen not fitting on the DS screen and that bugs me a lot.

My PSP could do perfect emulation but the battery is really worn out and none of the replacement batteries I got could hold the charge for more than a few days before needing to recharge it again (even if the console was off) while the DS could keep it's charge for months.
>>
>>3817436
Yeah it was a flaw of the PSP since it was launched. The battery would even lose charge when it wasn't in use.
>>
The PS Vita is okay. The homebrew and hacking scene is progressing rapidly and RetroArch has a nice build. The OLED screen is very nice too.

The proprietary memory card is definitely a downside. However, you don't need to store your games all the time. You can easily transfer files with FTP.
>>
>>3817526
What do you mean transfer through FTP? The files still need to be on the memory card at the end of the day right? At least that's the case with my PSP
>>
>>3817083
How much input lag is there if you use a DS3 or DS4 wireless controller on the PSPGO or VITATV?
>>
>>3817752
It feels very standard. A typical combination of wireless controller and HDTV. PSP Go however does support older analog connections. If I recall correctly, PSP 2000's s-video or some shit could only be used with movies. Some weird restriction like that with either 2000 or 1000. 3000 has no issues.
>>
Have a o3ds, xbox360, hacked ps2
Portability would be nice but i do have a laptop...
Is something like the jxd s7800-something worth it?
>>
>>3817413
>>3817421
Bumping for answers to these
>>
>>3817421
You use a windows program to create a custom VC cia file.
Then you install that on your 3DS.
Then you delete the cia file.

It's like a wad for the wii.
>>
>>3819860
Youre right. Also the fact that so many different consoles can be 'VC'd' really makes the 3DS an attractive option
>>
Guys, I already own a PSP 3000 (Amazing shit) but I'm interested on a New 3DS and I want to know all the pros and cons of that system because I know jack about it.

What kind of homebrew do you suggest me for it, what kind of multimedia can it play (to give a rest to my phone) and what kind of trouble should I expect, etc.

Thanks.
>>
>>3819925
don't bother with a N3DS

While its even my preferred option for emulation over the PSP its rubbish regarding Multimedia.

For home-brew suggestions go to /vg/ there is a dedicated home-brew threads. The OP even gives you all the info you're seeking and how to home-brew / CFW.
>>
>>3812842
And how many of that stuff do you actually play?
>>
>>3819930
OK, so multimedia sucks. Thanks for the info.

For the record, my DSXL can play movies and mp3 files with acceptable ease thanks to Moonshell.
>>
>>3819925
+ Good/perfect SNES and GBA
+ Nice screen (240p)
+ Good library
+ Plenty of homebrew ports (Lemmings, Cave Story, Doom, Hydra Castle Labyrinth)
+ 3D Youtube videos

- Poor PS1 emulation, no N64
- Bad D-pad position. It's usable but you need to get used to it.
- Lackluster multimedia ("Why would you make a video player when everyone has a phone?")
- Hard to fully hack. I needed to downgrade and do some weird shit when I hacked mine. But it was worth it.
>>
>>3819938
>movies and mp3 files with acceptable ease thanks to Moonshell.
with that shitty resolution.. Well fuck if i knew you didn't actually care about quality then shoot go for a N3DS
>>
>>3819957
I said "acceptable"
Yes, I have a medium entry Motorola phone, but right now it's summer here and I want to avoid extra overheating issues, hence why I don't mind (much) a lesser movie quality.

>>3819940
Thank you. I have heard things about the NES emulation being squished though.
>>
>>3819982
>Thank you. I have heard things about the NES emulation being squished though.
you heard wrong.
>>
>>3819984
Awesome, since that was one of the things I didn't like about emulating NEs on my DS. (PSP handled it way better.)
>>
>>3819990
they sell New and Ones games on the E-Shop. Off they will look good.
>>
>>3820001
New and Ones was NES and SNES.

Phone auto correct is wank
>>
>>3817584
What I meant is that you don't have to carry your whole collection all day with you.
>>
>>3819925
Multimedia was a big (or cool?) deal back in the PSP days. But almost everyone now have smartphones with really good multimedia, so it's not too important that the 3DS isn't too good at it
>>
>>3819940
Is the d-pad really as bad as youre probably suggesting?
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.