[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Castlevania

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

File: castlevania-wall.jpg (114KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania-wall.jpg
114KB, 1024x768px
Where's the best order to play Castlevania? Are there any games in the series that should be completely avoided?
>>
>>3811290

From the beginning onward. Maybe skip 2.
>>
>>3811303
What's wrong with the second one?
>>
>>3811337
It's different. Like 2D Dark Souls with cryptic dialogue and more unforgiving.
>>
>>3811337
>>3811348
Wasn't there a romhack that's re-translated so it's less cryptic and you have a much clearer objective and where you're supposed to go?
>>
File: 14121312792919.jpg (677KB, 1056x2976px) Image search: [Google]
14121312792919.jpg
677KB, 1056x2976px
You could go with chronological.
>>
>>3811475
Are the PS2 games worth playing?
>>
>>3811489
Yes. In fact LoI might be my favorite Castlevania
>>
Skip Shitlines and Dracula X (SNES).
>>
>>3811498
>skip Bloodlines

are you fucking mad senpai
>>
>>3811290
Whichever order you want, familami. Maybe play original first, then bounce around and see if you like the later metroidvania style or if you prefer the straight action style.
>>
>>3811473
"duck at the beginning with the orb selected and wait about 3 seconds, isn't it obvious"
>>
>>3811498
>skip Dracula X SNES

Casual.
>>
>>3811498
I've seen both of these recommended numerous times, why should I skip them?
>>
I'm trying to figure out this question myself, honestly though the very first one is the only one I have trouble with, it's so irritatingly frustrating but it's still a great game, once I get past that I don't think I'll have too much trouble with the others.

Also I just wanna say ignore anyone that skips The Adventure Rebirth, it's fucking great even with its problems
>>
>>3811290
Production order

ALWAYS PRODUCTION ORDER
>>
>>3813419
Release order is the more common terminology.
>>
>>3811492
Seconded, Lament of Innocence has a gorgeous atmosphere to it, and the in-game artstyle is beautiful. I've also got the OST since I liked the music so much.
>>
Skip MSX Vampire Killer, 2 (or look up Simon's Redaction), and the GB and N64 games. And SCIV.

If you want the best of Classicvania stuff start with Rondo and X68K/Chronicles. And Bloodlines.
>>
>>3813412
>Also I just wanna say ignore anyone that skips The Adventure Rebirth, it's fucking great even with its problems
Not retro. But this guy is right.
>>
Start and end with Amigavania.
>>
File: Castlevania_chronicles_na[1].jpg (127KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_chronicles_na[1].jpg
127KB, 400x397px
>>3811290
The general consensus is to just play them in release order for properly experiencing franchise evolution. Though in terms of weirder games I recommend playing castlevania chronicles. Its a remake of the x68000 game with the symphony of the night artstyle, but it also comes with the x68000 game and that's all you should really care about but hey I say play them both.
>>
>>3813278
Bloodlines shouldn't be skipped.
Dracula X (SNES) is kinda lazily designed in comparison to the other classic platformers but its not TERRIBLE just cruel due to level design and the final boss is bullshit.
>>
File: castlevania3-spot1[1].gif (40KB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania3-spot1[1].gif
40KB, 768x672px
>>3813412

>once I get past that I don't think I'll have too much trouble with the others

Ha ha.... HA HA HA HA HA
>>
>it's a "babby wants to finally play games he read about on the internet" episode

Just try playing the ones that look interesting, dickhead.
>>
>>3814256

>asshole has the audacity to ask about video games on a video games board

Did you lose your way to /v/?
>>
File: draculax-versions.jpg (358KB, 1040x640px) Image search: [Google]
draculax-versions.jpg
358KB, 1040x640px
>>3814223
>the final boss is bullshit.
This. He's not even a well-designed boss, they just got lazy and decided to make 50% of the floor pits.

What the fuck, Konami.
>>
>>3813712
>best of classicvania
>shitlines

OP, don't listen to the poseurs in this thread, they probably only played castlevania recently thanks to youtubers.
just play Castlevania 1 and then play in release order.

Avoid Amigavania, it's not even a real castlevania anyway, just en euro knock off that somehow got licensed by Konami because they didn't give a fuck and wanted dem euro shekels, I guess.
>>
>>3814249
friendly reminder to always play the sypha route :^)
unless you hate fun
>>
>>3811290
try playing them in order... yea. just avoid the n64 ones.
>>
>>3814517
>he doesn't Solo Trevor, lower paths only, no whip upgrades or subweapons
FUCKING casual
>>
>>3814350
>shitlines lol xd
>everyone who disagrees with me is... etc.
This post is truly peak /vr/. Take a serious look at your life, mate.

At least you're right about Amigavania.
>>
>>3814532

Don't forget on NA version only
>>
>>3814537
He's also right about starting with CV1 and play release order.
>>
>>3814218
This. Chronicles is a top 3 Classicvania. Also, don't forget to do the menu trick and change the sound module to Roland LA.
>>
>>3813712
>and the GB
The Adventure and Legends both kind of suck, but Belmont's Revenge is fantastic and absolutely worth playing.
>>
>>3814223
>>3814318

plebs detected
>>
>>3814318
For anyone interested there is a fan translation of Rondo of Blood.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/846/
>>
Imo, start with Rondo to ease yourself in. Nice graphics and music, fun secrets, and it's easier than the others.
Then go with CVI on the nes to get that core classicvania feel. After that just play whatever looks interesting.
>>
>>3815241

Or start from the beginning and marvel at how you good you got at the earlier games and how much easier franchises in general became as time went on.
>>
>>3811503
Bloodlines is great
>>
Dracula X was the best SNES Castlevania. The only reason people complain about it is because Bloodlines is the same, but better. On its own it's significantly better than Castlevania IV, with it's limp penis whip and casual difficulty, and is much more true to classic Castlevania gameplay. Graphics stand up better due to not trying to be realistic, as well.

Play the first one, then go to the snes or PS1 games, then come back to III, then branch out.
>>
>>3815532
>is because Bloodlines is the same, but better.

What. You probably meant Rondo, but still you'd be wrong, DX SNES is a different game as stated plenty of times.
Also

>casual difficulty
That's Rondo, IV at least put ups a decent challenge at the end of the game, Rondo stays easy all the way through except for stage 5b (which you can't unlock until after defeating Drac)
>>
>>3815602
>IV is challenging
>RoB is easy all the way
You're literally the only person with this opinion.

Rondo takes much more practice to git gud at.
>>
>>3817176
What do you like about the first that isn't in any of the rest?
>>
>>3815750
Not him but I also agree, Rondo feels like the one Classicvania that's the easiest to go through. IV appears to be easy but gets much more challenging each stage.
>>
>>3815750
No, I agree with him too. Bloodlines is also easier to me, sans expert mode. IV ramps up the difficulty in the last third of the game in a way that Rondo and Bloodlines don't really do.
>>
>>3817273
>>3817808
Nice samefag. Anyway, point out a difficult part in IV, with image or video.
>>
>>3817917
Not samefag (nice strawman, though).

Anyway, you're gonna tell me there's a level in Rondo that's harded than stages 8, 9, 10 and 11 in IV?
>>
>>3818467
>that's harded than stages 8, 9, 10 and 11 in IV?
What's hard about those stages? Can only think of the diagonal platforms that float you into spikes, which takes some prior knowledge of to not die on. Certainly none of the bosses put up a challenge.

>there's a level in Rondo
Prison can get annoying, cemetery can be sort of tricky, shipyard can be tricky, the boss rush can be tricky, the clock tower can be tricky. Unfortunately, Drac himself is too easy, but then he's easy in any game compared to III's Drac. Not saying Rondo is the hardest CV ever or anything, but there's definitely more of a learning curve to it than IV. It's a shame that we can't play the original difficulty of the game that the main designer was going to go with before he admitted to giving it a nerf in an interview.
>>
File: Super Castlevania IV-3-full.png (10KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Super Castlevania IV-3-full.png
10KB, 256x224px
>>3818515
Well I guess we just will have to disagree, I really don't think any of the levels you mentioned put up a real challenge.
Especially the clock tower in Rondo, really? It's a piece of cake! IV is filled with hazards and dangerous platforming, you can't even fall to a bototmbless pit on Rondo's clock tower.
I'm also not saying IV is the hardest castlevania, but it's harder than Rondo for me, clearly. Maybe we just have different kind of skills or ways of playing the games.

>It's a shame that we can't play the original difficulty of the game that the main designer was going to go with before he admitted to giving it a nerf in an interview.
Got a link to the interview?
>>
Play: 1, 3, Belmont's Revenge, Dracula X, Bloodlines, X68K or Chronicles, Rondo, Sympony CotM, Aria, OoE, Lament.

Skip: Everything else. Yes, even that. Especially that.
>>
>M-m-muh IV
8-way whipping. A design idea that was such fucking garbage they scrapped it after one game. Even Konami realised they fucked up with that garbage.
>>
play in release order.

definite plays are

CV1, CV3, CV4, Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines, Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Lament of Innocence, The Adventure Rebirth.

Also, Castlevania Chronicles is worth a try. it's basically a remake of a remake of Castlevania 1. it's not half bad.

Your Mileage May Vary- these aren't bad, but are quite flawed:

Dracula X, Harmony of Dissonance, Dawn of Sorrow, Curse of Darkness

the gameboy games are not really worth your time unless youve played everything else and want more, can't comment on the N64 games or Circle of the Moon.

Only play CV2 if you use the patched version.

also, if you can, play the japanese version of CV3. it has the better sound, music, and i think graphics- because in japan, the Famicom could support custom expansion chips in games that allowed for better sound or visuals.

as for the lords of Shadow games, it's best to play them after everything else.

the first one is the best one, Mirror of Fate isn't terrible, but isn't that great either, if nothing else it's worth it if you care about the story of the Lords of Shadow series. Lords of Shadow 2 however, that game is a terribly mixed bag, It has lots of gameplay improvements over the first game, and the graphics and music are top notch, but while one half of the game is some of the best castlevaniafare ever, the other half half the game is absolute dogshit.

A good metric is, (since it takes place in modern times) anything that takes place within the castle, is really really good. Anything that takes place OUTSIDE of the castle grounds, is garbage.

again, only play the lords of Shadow games after everything else, if you really want to.
>>
>>3819439
>t. arin
>>
>>3811290
Best order incoming:
>3
>LoS 2
>Bloodlines
>Dawn of Sorrow
>LoS1
>2
>4
>Harmony of Despair
>Dracula X
>Symphony of the Night
>1
>64

The rest is garbage. Avoid unless you REALLY need a castlevania fix
>>
File: hunting-1.gif (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hunting-1.gif
82KB, 640x480px
Everyone should try Castlevania: The Lecarde Chronicles hands down the best fan game I have ever played.
>>
>>3819602
this is some of the worst bait ive ever seen
>>
>>3819439
>M-muh hateboner for IV because it's popular

Eat it.
Also, Bloodlines has diagonal and down-ward whipping, X68K has down-ward whipping.
If anything the biggest offender are Rondo (for the bible sub-weapon, being able to jump while on stairs, no numerals, no whip upgrade) and Bloodlines (for the blue orb, no numerals, too many auto-scrolling stages)
>>
>>3819439
Oh hey i saw that egoraptor video too!
>>
>>3811290
>Are there any games in the series that should be completely avoided?
I would say that the arcade game should be avoided, it's total trash imho.
And by arcade game, I'm talking about Haunted Castle,
>>
>>3819832
ya shoulda got gud, son
>>
>>3814350
You know what yeah I did learn about Castlevania from E-Celebs. About 8 years ago.
People need to learn about things from somewhere my dude.
I have since played many of the games for myself and love the series.
>>
>>3811303
Is there a list of patches that fix this game enough to bring it to enjoyable level?
>>
>>3811290
Simon's Quest sucks ass.

Rondo of Blood is tricky to find, but worth it.
>>
>>3811290
Just make sure you beat the best ones.

Super Castlevania IV and of course pic related.
>>
>>3811290
Play the original NES game
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.