[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how many of you went bananas over this promotion in 1995?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

how many of you went bananas over this promotion in 1995?
>>
No, but the game made me peel out
>>
>>3810830
1995 was pretty much the lowest point of my interest in video games maybe ever.
>>
To this day, I still don't understand how anybody ever actually enjoyed Donkey Kong Country.
>>
>>3811067
I don't think that DKC is all that good nowadays but DKC2 still is a great game with legit good gameplay.
>>
>>3811067
Besides SMW and All Stars, Super Metroid and DKC were my most replayed games in my collection

maybe get that stick out of your ass?
>>
>>3811067
It's a straight forward platformer with tight controls and intuitive level designs that doesn't pull any bullshit
>>
JUST
>>
File: EXPANDEDER.jpg (20KB, 347x567px) Image search: [Google]
EXPANDEDER.jpg
20KB, 347x567px
>>3811031
>>3811067
Those were dark times for those discerningly sensitive to overratedness
>>
>>3811395
so you can put it in your nintentoddler babybutt for anal sensations you crave?
>>
>>3811031
Huh, really? Care to elaborate? I thought it was one good year for games, with the beginning of 5th gen and all the late but great SNES titles.

On the other hand, if you owned Genesis…
>>
>>3810830
I got so hype for dkc. We went to the Nintendo tour, I watched the dumb promo behind the scenes, and it was one of the first games I really dug into on my own as a kid (I was about ten).

Then, I remember late that summer into fall getting Earthbound for the first time. The mother fucking catcher in the rye of videogames. Then I was hooked for life.
>>
>>3811067
How come that the meme opinion that DKC was never good got so mainstream nowadays? some e-celeb like the Sonic case? it's still a fun game. The only criticism people come up with is that it was too gimmicky and didn't have many platforming stages, but they were fun gimmicks, just like Treasure games.

DKC 2 > DKC >>>> DKC3
>>
>>3811520
Teen memelords think it's cool to shit on DKC and its amazing pre-rendered artstyle these days. Absolute fuckwits.
>>
File: oldman vr.jpg (98KB, 450x668px) Image search: [Google]
oldman vr.jpg
98KB, 450x668px
>>3811520
The way the Sega CD/32x thing had played out to that point really had/me sour. With the price of it and then of the TGCD I thought maybe video gaming just wasn't going to be worth it any more (like computer gaming always had) to a semi-poor person like myself then the Jaguar being so lame and CDi and 3DO bring SO expensive for what they offered seemed to confirm it. Playstation and Saturn were getting a lot of hype of course but so did Jag so I didn't really sit down and play PSX until early '96 when I was over at a friend's house playing MTG then hung around after and checked out Destruction Derby (meh) and Twisted Metal which really impressed me. It wasn't until that winter that I convinced my friend who was my gf's and my roommate to buy "himself" one for Christmas along with TR and RE which blew me away and brought me completely back into the fold.

>>3811561
Last gen games like DKC that were still releasing at like $60 were honestly completely off my radar in '95. I was an edgy teen then and I definitely was hating on its kiddiness plus I was aware that it was only fake 3D.

/blog - but I WAS asked.
>>
>>3811568
What do you mean "I was aware that it was only fake 3D". There's nothing substantial you were "aware" of that other people weren't about the 3D graphics of the game, nobody thought it was like Mario 64. The pre-rendered 3D looks nice to some people, and that's what they gave you. If you preferred your SNES games 2D, well then they warned you on the cover that it was SNES 3D.
>>
File: ArRyw[1].jpg (332KB, 1965x1299px) Image search: [Google]
ArRyw[1].jpg
332KB, 1965x1299px
>>3811578
Again, a $60 SNES game with kiddie graphics was the exact opposite of anything I would have been interested in in 1995. That's not an attack on you but back then, DKC was absolutely marketed as a "next gen 3D game on our current console" by Nintendo. Of course nobody thought it was like Mario 64 because Mario 64 wouldn't be released for two more years.

I try not to come off as a know-it-all bullshitter but in this case you're definitely the one who doesn't know pretty much anything about 1995
>>
File: DKC.png (2MB, 1182x778px) Image search: [Google]
DKC.png
2MB, 1182x778px
>>3811829
>>
>>3811872
Thanks, that's an even more extensive illustration of what I'm talking about.
>>
>>3811829
haha, you took your console wars and edginess seriously as a teen.
I was an edgy kid myself, had a Sega but man I wanted to play DKC (and I did, at a friend's house, enjoyed the fuck out of it).

Honestly never thought DKC as kiddy, it's pretty badass actually.
>>
>>3811829
>look this gruesome

What did they mean by this?

And on-topic, I honestly don't recall if I was particularly hyped for DKC. I really liked it, sure, but don't remember if I was eagerly anticipating it. I think I got a promo VHS tape for it in the mail.
>>
>>3811886
Well I owned a SNES but I had probably 5x as many Genesis games. A lot of my teen vidya angst came from feeling like I'd sided with Sega but they betrayed my by their add ons being so much more expensive than the original console and a lot of other people felt the same way then on top of it the people who DID shell out for those add-ons got relatively few decent games. The few SNES games I did buy were RPGs and I really wanted to be playing Lunar 1 & 2 or Ys 1 & 2. It just all was coming together during my teen years to make me feel like I was outgrowing video games. Then for better or worse Sony came along with a more modern console strategy and pulled me back in for good.
>>
>>3811829
>The levels number 111 (no that's not a misprint...).
>game only has around 30 main levels and 40 bonuses

Look, I know PR is a little about stretching the truth but this is just blatantly false advertising. Not that anyone would care about it 23 years later but still ...
>>
File: Teh Kao Yang.png (2KB, 1087x49px) Image search: [Google]
Teh Kao Yang.png
2KB, 1087x49px
>>3811872
>Well I just want to know what everyone else thinks about the latest info-ad that Nintendo has printed in this month's various gaming magazines. I was just dumbfounded by the immense amount of BS that was contained in it. I felt really sickened too, like when someone tries to insult your intelligence. My main gripe with ads like this is, they are obviously targeted towards a more mature audience. And they seem to be assuming that a vast majority of the adult gaming audience are morons. And what clinches the whole thing, is that while the ad totally blasts next-generation technology, in the same magazine there is news about a new Nintendo 32-bit co processor for their cartridges. And how about the Ultra-64? So according to this ad, what the hell do we need that for, eh Nintendo?

>Also, I am wondering how Jaguar and 3DO owners will feel about Nintendo's attacks on their systems. They claim in the ad that Donkey Kong Country is better than Jag and 3DO games. This is a direct quote from the ad: " Jaguar may have more processing speed, but DK Country on Super NES graphically outperforms Jag games released so far. Why? Because programming is more important than power." Gee, how can you argue against such a thoughtful analysis?? Also "3DO offers the vast memory potential of CDROM, but that means video games are subject to frequent, awkward access pauses. For the price of the system you'd expect to be able to buy game as good as DKC. Think again."

>You know, from the way that Nintendo flames the new systems in the ad, you'd think that they got a few ideas from reading the internet...
>>
File: GRUESOME.jpg (75KB, 465x636px) Image search: [Google]
GRUESOME.jpg
75KB, 465x636px
>>3811895
look at his face
>>
File: Kirbys-Avalanche-and-Ghost-Trap.jpg (812KB, 3198x2124px) Image search: [Google]
Kirbys-Avalanche-and-Ghost-Trap.jpg
812KB, 3198x2124px
>>3811895
>>3811923
Nintendo was totally grunge in '95

>>3811910
Well I was right then when I assumed you mostly stayed away from SNES. Around '95 was the time when Sega flipped a big finger to Genesis owners and tried to push 32X, and all those new meme consoles certainly didn't help.

So if Nintendo wasn't your cup of tea, and you hadn't yet discovered PS, then yeah—'95 must have sucked for you.
>>
>>3811960
It's true. The games I did play on SNES I played begrudgingly. The Nintendo tax was real even then. New games were more expensive and used games were WAY more expensive.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.