[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you rate/rank Rare's N64 platformers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: Rare3D.jpg (156KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rare3D.jpg
156KB, 600x600px
How would you rate/rank Rare's N64 platformers?
>>
Good but sparse. Great stories tho
>>
>>3810578
Conker > Kazooie > Tooie > DK64
>>
>>3810587
Tooie sucked, dk64 was definitely better.
>>
File: 1474653024321.jpg (56KB, 580x407px) Image search: [Google]
1474653024321.jpg
56KB, 580x407px
Kazooie > Conker > Tooie > DK64. All are pretty damn solid though.

>Honourable mention to that Dinosaur Planet beta sitting on someone's hard drive right now
>>
>>3810612
Isn't Dinosaur Planet a zelda clone, not a platformer?
>>
Banjo Kazooie - 10/10, all-time classic
DK64 - 8/10
Banjo-Tooie - 6/10 backtracking drags It down.
Haven't played Conker.
>>
>>3810578

Tooie > DK 64 > Kazooie > Conker
>>
>>3810637
But Dankey Bong 64 has even worse backtracking.
>>
>>3810578
all 9- 10/10 games.

CAnt decide which is worst, they're all good, Tooie is a bit better than Kazooie though, but they're all fantastic.

I miss platforming as a genre! it was cool, and im sick of violent games and FPS FPS FPS its too much.
>>
>>3810656
Only for like the first two worlds. Once you have all the Kongs you can complete a world in one sitting. Not like Tooie where you can do a little bit of World A, then you have to go to a bit of World B, but you can't complete World B until you get a skill from world C, but then you have to go back & finish World A to progress at all in World C. it's infuriating.
>>
>>3810615
it got made into Star Fox Adventures, and i remember all the magazines at the time ( 2000 / 01) were talking about a platformer.

In the event Adventures sucked dick, probably cos all the good programmers left, dunno.
>>
How many games did Rare release for the N64? How is one studio responsible for so much of the output of a single console? Did they have multiple development teams?
>>
Kazooie or Tooie which is better? I've heard Tooie was less of a collectathon which is why I'm leaning towards it
>>
>>3810668

Is Tooie really like that because I'm not a fan of that method of game design at all
>>
>>3810689
I am not exaggerating. Tooie is backtrack-o-rama.
>>
I'd never played any of these until I got Rare Replay and I really like BK but I wasn't feeling Conker. Should I stick with it? It just felt really slippery and apparently there are very few moves.
>>
>>3810689
Each level has at least one jiggy that you can't get until you trigger something in another level or gain a new ability.
>>
>>3810578
B&K>favorite 64 plat, solid game
Conkers>looks great, meh controls
Tooie>would be #1 but that f r a m e r a t e.
DK64>Pissed it was expensive and I already had an expansion pak. Crushed after DK 1-3. Still have it but haven't touched it in years
>>
>>3810615

From what I can tell the original inception of it was a two character platformer similar to their other games but with more of an action-adventure feel, didn't seem to become a full-on Zelda clone until it moved to the 'cube.

>>3810669

Depending on who you ask they were either actively leaving during development or all left after, per the sale to Rare. The game's biggest problem was having nothing to do with Star Fox, not even the extra two years of development made it feel any less mangled, not to mention the change from googly-eyed talking animals to hyper realistic furries. Just wasted potential all round.
>>
BK: 4/10
BT: 4/10
DK64: 2/10
CBFD: 3/10
>>
>>3810684
All of there games share looks, and sound effects probably wasn't hard to copy paste new character models.
>>
Kazooie > Tooie > DK64 > Conker

Based on the actual amount of platforming
>>
>>3810753
I liked Conker, but it's real value comes from the cheesey 90s college stoner humor. I did like a lot of the "context sensitive" parts and seeing how certain scenarios played out. Fuck the rock club part though.
>>
On a scale of Garbage to Shit, I'd say Rubbish.
>>
>>3810827
shit taste. fix your life
>>
>>3810578
Kazooie = Great
Tooie = Good, but a bit tedious
Conker = Good
DK64 = Okay, but very tedious.

>>3810668
I'd rather have jiggies that require moves from later worlds over having to visit every nook and cranny within each world 5 times to grab character locked collectables.
>>
TENOUTTATEN
>>
>>3810578
Shitty overrated non-platformer collectathons/10
>>
File: come-on.jpg (20KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
come-on.jpg
20KB, 500x313px
>>3811679
>Conker
>collectathon
>>
>>3811702
barbones platformer with no mechanical depth
>>
>>3811667
This anon gets it.
>>
>>3811704
so what? is every game supposed to be the same

conker is all about the novelty, and delivers plenty of it
>>
>>3811713
Would I like Conker better if I saw it less as a platformer by the Banjo devs and more like a setpiece-heavy action game?

Also, how are Tooie and DK64? I've only played Kazooie (which I loved) and Conker (which I want to love).
>>
>>3812443
Tooie is Kazooie with larger levels/more content
DK64 is Tooie with larger levels and a heavier focus on minigames instead of platforming
>>
>>3812443
Kazooie feels really linear and easy compared to Tooie.

Yes there is backtracking in Tooie, but some of the levels actually link up within themselves (i.e. without having to go back to the hub/portal world)
There isnt as much backtracking as say, Metroid Prime (which just takes the piss - all Metroids, actually)

DK64 will keep you busy, but some of the minigames are fiendishly difficult and in general the game feels a bit sloppy, a bit like a demo actually (I also got this feeling about Mario 64, too). However it's still good.

As a kid i absolutely loved all these games, even Conker which one of my friends had. Conker is not really a platformer, its a genre all to itself DESU. I think Conkers is hilarious, a totally unique game.

Rare basically got signed up to Nintendo in the early 90s and made the Donkey Kong Country games on SNES and game boy. When the '64came around, Nintendo had the Bond licence and it went to Rare, (who were by now a very trusted in house developer.)
Rare totally hit the jackpot with Goldeneye, revolutionised an entire genre and sold shitloads of units. Then they went from strength to strength really and their output from 1997 - 2000 is just insanely good.
They had a few different teams who shared one large garage type space on different units, and were forbidden to speak to each other about the different games they were all making.

I think the fact Rare are so good is testamount to the fact that British-made stuff is usually of very, very high quality.
High quality cars
>Rolls Royce, Aston Martin
For centuries the best ships in the world
I always feel Chinese, JApanese, American and European made stuff feels a bit tacky and cheap compared to British stuff just in general. So i think it also applied to games.
There is a kind of quirkiness and uniqueness to British stuff and it comes across certainly in the Rareware games.
>>
>>3810578
tooie > conker > kazooie > dk64
i really like all of them
>>
Kazooie > Tooie > Conker >> DK64

There's a reason DK64 killed the genre for 17 years
>>
Conker doesn't really feel like the rest of them its a game where you go from set piece to set piece
>>
9/10
they owned Nintendo
>>
Banjo-Tooie > Conker's Bad Fur Day > Banjo-Kazooie > Donkey Kong 64

I like all of them and thought they were above in quality over the PS1 platformers (which I also liked).

>>3812830
>There's a reason DK64 killed the genre for 17 years
There's this myth again. 3D platformers were plentiful throughout 6th gen. I would say the popularity of Halo and GTAIII helped kill 3D platformers. Online gaming becoming prevalent on consoles didn't help things either.
>>
File: this does not fookin slip.png (14KB, 364x322px) Image search: [Google]
this does not fookin slip.png
14KB, 364x322px
>tfw you only just realised the dung beetles from CBFD are scousers
>>
File: Banjo kazooie.jpg (20KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
Banjo kazooie.jpg
20KB, 269x187px
>>3810578
Kazooie>Tooie>Conker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DK64

There isn't a better collectathon than Kazooie. They don't exist; Kazooie is the absolute apex of the genre

Tooie's backtracking is actually really manageable when you've got the whole thing laid out. Last time I did a 100% run I was upset I finished it so quickly. Wanted to spend more time in the game like I did as a kid. The only real complaint about it is how bad the slowdown is.

Conker is great, albeit kind of short compared to the rest and at times wonky with it's controls. Still worth playing once.

DK64 is hot trash and even the guys at Rare/Playtonic recognized they went overboard with all the collectables. I would much rather backtrack to different worlds in Tooie than get 500 fucking bananas in every world like in DK64
>>
Shit tier:
Kazooie
Tooie
Conkers

Beyond shit tier:
DK64

Glorious Gaming Masterpiece Tier:
Blast Corps
>>
>>3810684
>Did they have multiple development teams?
Three for the platformers alone.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.