[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did you guys realize that the Magnavox Odyssey preceded Pong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Magnavox-Odyssey-Console-Set.jpg (65KB, 1280x663px) Image search: [Google]
Magnavox-Odyssey-Console-Set.jpg
65KB, 1280x663px
Did you guys realize that the Magnavox Odyssey preceded Pong? I never did until now. In fact, per Wikipedia,
>After Bushnell attended a Burlingame, California demonstration of the Magnavox Odyssey, he gave the task of making the Magnavox tennis game into a coin-op version to Alcorn as a test project. Alcorn incorporated many of his own improvements into the game design, such as scoring and sound, and Pong was born.

Oh, and I guess this is a CPU-less games thread.
>>
Too bad Baer was obsessed with making money instead of trying to innovate games so he just resorted to suing competition.
>>
>ywn be 1972 with magnetbox
>>
Alternate thread title: wikipedia and opinions thread with a hint of angst projected in each post
>>
>>3809460
>underage straight from youtube
The post.
>>
While I've never looked into this...Trusting anything posted on Wikipedia alone is just foolish.
Let me edit that page to change what it says....
>>
I wish Ralph Baer and Nolan Bushnell were my grandpas. Oh the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner fights I would have seen.

www.playboy.com/articles/sex-drugs--video-games
>>
>>3809792
I wish that Baer end up in the holocaust so that asshole wouldn't ruin gaming with years of consoles
>>
>>3809796
He tried his hardest to stop consoles by demanding they pay him money for inventing video games. Nintendo brought in William Higinbotham and Baer claimed that Tennis for Two wasn't a video game because it didn't use a raster display.
>>
Isn't that interesting, OP? The Odyssey actually released a month or two before Pong. Makes me wince a little bit every time I hear people claiming it to be the first video game.

>>3809806
The technical definition for "video game" used to be dependent on exactly what kind of display was being used, interestingly enough. I think it was exclusive to CRTs.
>>
>>3809764
Well, duh. The Wikipedia article has plenty of citations, though.
>>
>>3809460
I did and I remember the lawsuit about it.

>>3809479
>>3809796
>>3809806
Think you're confusing Baer with Magnavox
>>
File: just johnny.jpg (87KB, 880x576px) Image search: [Google]
just johnny.jpg
87KB, 880x576px
>>3809460
Who is this Doctor Alcom, and why is he so adamant that things need improving?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.