[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

was it good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14

File: Castlevania_(Nintendo_64).jpg (15KB, 250x173px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_(Nintendo_64).jpg
15KB, 250x173px
was it good
>>
>>3809180
never played it
>>
a little rough around the edges, but it's pretty good. legacy of darkness is better however.
>>
>>3809180
no. and don't listen to n64 fanboys who'll defend it
>>
>>3809180
I liked it. I actually enjoyed the platforming and Carrie a cute.
>>
It was okay. By no means was it nearly on the same level as Rondo of Blood or Symphony of the Night.
>>
It was a bit below average, but ultimately passable.
>>
>>3809180
It's a good game and has some mighty fine atmosphere, but it's not one of the better games in the series.
>>
>>3809306
>for /vr/ Castlevania 64 it's a good game
AAAAAND this is why this board it's the worst of 4chan
>>
>>3809343
>memes and e-celebs told me it's a bad game so it is
just sad
>>
>>3809347
>hunf hunf i'm fucking jealous of e-celebs they are always in my mind
just sad
>>
>>3809343
This whole thread was filled with tempered and reasonable opinions until you posted.
>>
>>3809180
3D Castlevania sucks
>>
Frankenstein with chainsaws?

Skeletons on motorcycles?

WHAT were they THINKING?
>>
>>3809363
>WHAT were they THINKING?
Fun, not historical accuracy
>>
>>3809364
I can't have fun with something so absurd.

FUCK. FUCK!!
>>
>>3809349
>tempered and reasonable opinions
>Castlevania 64 is good because is good
>tempered and reasonable opinions
KEK
>>
>>3809269
This. It was ok, but then it was only barely ok!
>>
>>3809363
Yeah that skeleton on the moter cycle happened way to early on. I could see getting bored with development and throwing it in as a joke boss, but it was supposed to be taken seriously?????
>>
>>3809180
Personally, I love it. Fantastic atmosphere. It's not a perfect game, but I think it was the best translation of the classic series to 3D.
>>
File: Castlevania_Lords_of_Shadow.png (165KB, 256x315px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_Lords_of_Shadow.png
165KB, 256x315px
>>3809435
>but I think it was the best translation of the classic series to 3D
Yeah, no, even Lament of innocence is a better 3D Castlevania

Man.. i hate contrarian hipster /vr/
>>
>>3809442
>even
But LoI is the best one.

LoI > CoD > LoD > 64 > LoS > LoS2
>>
>>3809447
Right on, man. LoI is my favorite CV period. That's right, I said it. And no, I'm not underaged.
>>
File: tree.gif (9KB, 128x133px) Image search: [Google]
tree.gif
9KB, 128x133px
>>3809363
>>3809390

Symphony of the night has purple suits of armor and toads "magically enlarged by demonic baptism".
>>
Yes, it was good. Better than Legacy of Darkness, in my opinion. My only problem with it is that it is a bit too easy. I never had the camera problems or platforming problems that everyone else complains about. I just learned how the game worked, rather than presuming it should work in a certain way that I was accustomed to.
The PAL boxart is much, much better, by the way.
>>
File: castlevania-64-pal.jpg (88KB, 800x549px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania-64-pal.jpg
88KB, 800x549px
>>3809552
>Better than Legacy of Darkness, in my opinion.
How so?

The PAL boxart is pretty cool though.
>>
>>3809568
What LoD adds is less enjoyable than what it replaces, as simple as that.
>>
>>3809571
You really thought what it removed was better?
>>
>>3809472
Also, NYC-style pizza on a box.
>>
>>3809212
>>3809343
Instead of strawman and hyperbole, why don't you try to come up with legit criticism?
I'll help you: the camera could be better (although it isn't that bad, there's far, FAR worse 5th gen 3D games regarding camera than CV64).
>>
>>3809573
That's why I said it, fucktard.
>>
>>3809586
No seriously, I'm curious about your thoughts about individual stuff that you thought was better. Why don't you tell me.
>>
>>3809589
Not him, but Simon and Maria's costumes were rad.
>>
>>3809589
Then why didn't you ask in the first place? Why ask me to repeat myself like you can't merely reread my post?
The level designs that were changed in LoD, I found, ranged from slight downgrade to ruining the entire level. Bosses, like the new spider boss and the revised final boss are two of the worst bosses in the game. Cornell's new levels are also boring and two in particular are tedious and do not fit the style of the game.
>>
>>3809442
>classic series
>Lament of Innocence
Sorry, didn't realize I was talking about Igashit when I said classic series. Sorry my opinion triggered you, snowflake.
>>
>>3809180
No but you're going to get a ton of contrarians desperate to prove their retro gamer cred trying to tell you otherwise because almost everyone hates this game so it MUST be because of an e-celeb and not because it's shit.
>>
>>3810228
No, you are the contrarian if you think everyone hates this game.
This game is... okay. It's not bad, it has its high, it also has its lows, but it's overall a decent 3D action game for 5th gen standards.
If people don't hate stuff like Tomb Raider or Medievil, to name just 2, why would people hate Castlevania 64?

Try to come up with actual criticism for the game and maybe we can have a nice discussion going, who knows?
I already mentioned one flaw before, the camera can be tricky sometimes but it's far from making the game unplayable, most of the times it works, so other than that, what's there to hate? The fact it's not a 2D Castlevania?
>>
>>3810246
>No you!

Give up kid I'm a world video game champion you can't lie to me like that and think anyone will believe it.
>>
castlevania doesn't work in 3D, like sanic and megaman
>>
>>3810248
>world video game champion

Made me chuckle.
>>
>>3810249
But sonic adventure is really good
>>
>>3810261
Have you played it lately? It's aged like fine garbage.
>>
>>3810356
Not the guy you're replying to, but I've played through it twice in the past few years. Some parts of it have aged but it's still a damn fun game.
>>
I liked it and honestly never got the hate. It's not the greatest game, but as far as 3D platforming-action in 5th gen goes, I'd say it's one of the most impressive.
As far as Castlevania in 3D goes, I think this one is the one that feels the most like classicvania. Specifically Rondo of Blood, the game is conceptually Rondo in 3D (it even uses a violin arrangement of "divided bloodlines" on the title screen).
Being able to select between Reindhardt (a whip user) and a little girl, Carrie (a magic homing user), the game also follows a similar vibe as the classicvanias, somewhere between classic horror and sometimes a bit of humor or cartoony stuff.
CV64's levels are hit and miss, the first level sets for a great atmosphere, and it makes you fight classic Castlevania enemies: skeletons, lots of them. It's the classic first stage that leads to the castle villa entrance. The 2nd stage, the actual castle front, feels a lot like a classic Castlevania: stairs, hazards, skull pillars, bats, and a 2-headed skeleton serpent as the boss. I remember when I first played this level I thought "yeah, this is Castlevania".
Then the game goes on a different route, but not necessarily a bad one. the 3rd stage, "The Villa" deviates from the classic forward-action of CV and goes for a more exploration-based style around a mansion, sometimes it seems a lot like Resident Evil or other survival horror games, but without losing the action elements. I'd say if you're up to this point and you're not enjoying the game, then it's not for you. I personally loved the whole Villa stage and how it introduced new characters like Renon or Rosa.
I liked the Lament of innocence for what it was as well, although it was more like a 3D SOTN (except instead of exploring a giant castle you explore 5 different big levels), and the LoS games were more like their own thing, definitely a more western approach at the Castlevania concept.
>>
>>3809180
all I can say for sure is i hated playing it
>>
>>3809180
>Actual femanon doubt
I want to start playing this, but cant decide, is Legacy of Darkness the same game ? Can I Still play with Carrie?
>>
>>3810461
Play both, ya dumb cunt.
>>
File: castlevania-dracula-x-32.jpg (68KB, 450x255px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania-dracula-x-32.jpg
68KB, 450x255px
They should've taken a cue from the Goemon team and made LoD a 2.5D sidescroller.
>>
>>3810478
Fun fact: CV64 and LoD were made by the Goemon team. Or at least produced by Etsunobu Ebisu.
>>
>>3810481
Ebisu seems like a cool guy.
>>
>>3809442
>Man.. i hate contrarian hipster /vr/

feel free to leave anytime faggot
>>
>>3810474
thanks to you Professor Van Der Fuck !
no move your dick breath mouth away from my post.
>>
>>3810567
Your post is unnecessary if you had read the fucking thread, you attention-whoring piece of shit.
>>
>>3809343

I would rather people liked a shit game a million times over than shitposting good games
>>
This is my favorite non-Zelda, Goemon, or Sin&Punishment N64 game.

It is THAT good.
>>
>>3809180
It's pretty good. Love the boss fights.
>>
>>3810461
Carrie is unlocked by default in the original N64 version. You have to unlock her in LoD first by beating Cornell's story and then finding the correct child in Henry's "story". If you're emulating, I would just download a completed save file for LoD. Otherwise, just start on 64.
>>
>>3809180
I thought it was pretty good. I was young when I played it and had no problems outside of the camera and the usual bad platformer issues.

I liked the music and atmosphere a lot, even if the level design was a bit too spacious.

I played both C64 and LoD but spent so much time between them that I can't really say what's different. I never completed Carrie and Rein's scenarios in LoD, did they cut/change anything or is it all intact?

>>3810423
>"The Villa" deviates from the classic forward-action of CV and goes for a more exploration-based style around a mansion, sometimes it seems a lot like Resident Evil or other survival horror games
Something about the game always reminded me of RE and now that you note the shift in the Villa, I totally see it. I loved the Villa though, that's when the game started to shine for me.
>>
>>3809180
>was it good
for you
>>
>>3810461
>actual femanon doubt

What the hell does that even mean
>>
>>3809442
That game is hogshit lols :D
>>
>>3812989
kys
>>
>>3809180
One of the best Castlevania for anyone that isn't an Igarashi's bitch.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>3809571
But LoD also has best level design. It has the Tower of Art, and also the Tower of Duel and Tower of Execution are better overall.
>>
>>3809180
inb4 all the fags cry about muh 3d

game is a solid 3d vania with fantastic atmosphere (some of the best in series) better than memes of shadow shit

Lament is best 3d tho
>>
>>3813230
Lords of Shadow is actually a pretty good game, and a more than nice Castlevania atmosphere wise from Chapter IV (Carmilla's domains) 'til the end.

I strongly disagree about LoI being the best 3Dvania. More like the second to worst.
>>
>>3809180
It's decent. Just a bit slow.
>>
>>3813250
It's true. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was an interesting take on the franchise.
>>
Genuinely one of my favourite games, always championed it despite it's flaws. Platforming and controls are weird to learn but once you do they're tight as fuck, some really cool enemies and fight sections, some good puzzles, amazing atmosphere with thanks to some great music/sound. Love that some speedrunners got into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKMy4FeIhRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKoqyeqEuCk

LoD is essentially an expansion pack so not really worth comparison since it pretty much just contains the original game plus a few new levels, but it's still really cool.
>>
>>3810679
Too bad there isn't a boss rush.

>>3811523
>I never completed Carrie and Rein's scenarios in LoD, did they cut/change anything or is it all intact?
They swapped a lot of stuff around, including a couple new boss fights and some stages rearranged to match the version of the levels in Cornell's quest.
>>
>>3814405
We need an HD remaster with a Hard Mode Boss Rush (1 hit death agaisnt bosses)
>>
It looks decent enough. Not great, but decent.

Controls are slow and occasionally annoying. Some puzzles are ludicrous.

The story pieces are pretty nice.

Dracula is completely ridiculous.

And it'd be improved tenfold if they had made picking up item drops automatic rather than requiring you to actually press a button and watch a pickup animation, like every other game ever.

Ultimately, it's that last part that kills it for me. It hurts the flow of the game, and horribly so.
>>
>>3809180
Original sucks, LoD is alright.
>>
It is decent, just that you really have to fight the camera at some parts along with some places are pretty tricky to platform at. It isn't a must play but if you want to delve into playing more than the cream of the crop it is worth playing.

I found it pretty fun, though it is a shame Konami didn't revisit the formula and actually make it a more competent game control wise. It had the right idea in being an action platformer rather than some game in which you just explore a castle and relegate yourself to combat, finding new equip-able items, and see the numbers for your HP and damage go up.
>>
>>3809442

Not like LoS has a lot to live up to. The other 3D Castlevania games are dogshit, no question about that, LoS just smells better.
>>
>>3816476
CV64 and PS2 vanias are better than indie spanishdev-vania.
>>
>>3816642
Fuck no. PS2vanias are a borefest. Moreso CoD (at least LoI is condensed)
>>
>>3817352
To be honest I only played Loi, but still I'm sure I'd like CoD more than Spanishvania.
>>
>>3817356
I played all of them, i can assure it isn't better, unless you like running simulators. That game can be only classified as Corridorvania.

Basically take the longest corridors of LoI, make them longer with fewer enemies, add the annoying component of Innocent devils (they make the game easier, and forces you to use more weapons to evolve them in different ways)

Lords of Shadow is waaay more direct and enjoyable, it goes straight to the point and it's shameless about its faults. Think is, LoI and CoD always get excused because "they are 3D Igavanias, and corridor fighting is an Igavania thing" wich is bullshit.

Also, LoS starring is not an androginous motherfucker (but an emo to boot, that he is)
>>
>>3817356
I'd say my ranking is

Legacy of Darkness
Lords of Shadow
Castlevania 64 (it feels duller)
Lament of Innocence
Curse of Darkness
>>
>>3809180
I played the first 5-10 minutes of it in a store and it gave me nightmares for months
>>
>>3809472
terrible comparison, magic giant toads and living suits of armor are on par with a walking skeleton, not a bike riding one
>>
>>3809180
I wish Konami would do an updated re-release that combined all the stuff in 64 and LoD into one game.
>>
File: nfa.jpg (83KB, 425x450px) Image search: [Google]
nfa.jpg
83KB, 425x450px
>>3819458
Are you really complaining about bike riding skeletons, nigga?
>>
>>3810461
Show timestamped breasts and lurk moar. Alternatievely, you can return to reddit.com
>>
No it was fucking garbage. 3d Castlevanias don't belong in this world.
>>
>>3821651
>3d Castlevanias don't belong in this world.

Faggot thst got into castlevania due to "die monster, etc, etc" SOTN english dialogues meme detected.
>>
fucking shit hot
>>
>>3821652
>>3821652
Ok
>>
>>3809180

It is good. The problem here is that not everybody was Nintendo on camera behavior. The ambient is great, the whip for the first time in the series really feels like a whip.

Its action / adventure and platformer game, unline Lament of Innocence, if you see water, beware the water, if you see a fall, beware the fall. Enemies doesn't come at you like, Ok we are shit and until you dont kill us all you will not go to anywhere.

I'm enjoying the entire Castlevania series about those days, since the last 2 weeks I played:

Castlevania
Castlevania II Simon's Quest
Castlevania Bloodlines
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance

and now I'm currently playing Lament of Innocence. Its a good game but this hack'n slash shit is boring for me.

Castlevania Apocalypse (64) is a pretty good game.
>>
File: cv64-enemy-1.jpg (134KB, 779x1012px) Image search: [Google]
cv64-enemy-1.jpg
134KB, 779x1012px
Enemy design was great, and for the first time in the series you fight regular vampires.

The boss battle against 3 vampires is crazy.
>>
>>3821651
You don't belong to the Castlevania fandom, little shit.
>>
Once you learn how to work the camera better yourself I still really like the game, it has a ton of flaws like instadeaths do to jumping and bad camera but just save.

Amazing OST BTW DESU ANON-CHAN
>>
>>3822375
>Instadeaths due to jumping
Isn't that pretty par for the course in terms of Castlevania design? I mean Classicvania at least. Not so much the Metroidvanias.
>>
>>3822523
Well when the area you have to jump is the size of your feet and you need to land it perfectly or you're forced to jump blind toward a cliff and grab on but the camera wont turn. There is a pit in the tunnels where you need to jump off a small area and grab a ledge the problem is 85% of the time the camera won't allow you to face it.
>>
File: Cv64-offart21.jpg (46KB, 502x553px) Image search: [Google]
Cv64-offart21.jpg
46KB, 502x553px
I want to impregnate Rosa.
>>
>>3822528
If you're holding "A" the character will grab the ledge regardless of what direction they're facing. I'm trying to think of the spot in the tunnel that you're referencing but I'm not sure what it is.

I did have trouble in the underground water way with Carrie when you need to jump through those brick blocks in the poison water. The camera gave me problems there. really it was that and some spots in Duel Towers that gave me problems in the first game. The fixed a lot of that stuff in LoD.
>>
>>3822536
Where can you get more artwork for this game? This is nice.
>>
>>3822587
I know you have to hold A, but a blind jump is fucking stupid.
>>
File: cv64-offart24.jpg (70KB, 463x800px) Image search: [Google]
cv64-offart24.jpg
70KB, 463x800px
>>3822603
No idea who this is suppose to be.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/multi/officialart.htm
>>
>>3822642
Isn't that the spider girl before revealing her form?

trivia: the artist for CV64 do hentai manga.
>>
>>3822652
I don't remember her being out of the spider with human legs.
>>
>>3822660
Well she has a spider on her back and that pose with her coming out of the water is nearly identical to the cutscene you watch the first time you encounter the spider women.

The scene, if you're interested.
https://youtu.be/osOuBC3DPqI?t=45s
>>
>>3809180
No. Its god awful like almost all n64 games. Except bottom of the barrel for n64 even
>>
>>3824091
Hot opinion.
>>
>>3809585
>Because something is worse that means it's okay.
>>
>>3824954
He didn't say it was okay though.
learn to greentext.
>>
>>3809180
it beats the ps2 castlevanias
>>
>>3822652
Really? What's the artist's name?
>>
The Villa was my favorite part.
>>
>>3824958
Sorry, I'll leave forever now.
>>
>>3809180
I liked it. It's probably my favorite 3D Castlevania overall. If you can handle early 3D game design it's definitely worth a go.
>>
>>3809212
WHAT A SHIT LOAD OF FUCK
>>
File: Castlevania (U) (V1.2) snap0009.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania (U) (V1.2) snap0009.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
Don't mind me, just being the scariest thing to happen in any Castlevania game ever.
>>
>>3828000
Fuck, this was so intense the first time it happens. I didn't realize Malus couldn't be hurt the first time it happened and was so worried that he was gonna get killed when I lost him.

Then I played Legacy of Darkness and thought Henry would be ok. Found out the hard way that, nope, apparently Frank plays for keeps when he's not actively hunting down Dracula
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.