[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting Collection Even Worth It?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (15KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 259x194px
It seems like every collector has been deal hunting for at least a solid decade. Is starting a collection at this point even worth it? Assuming you are starting with (or very nearly with) nothing.
>>
>>3808406
Collecting is for autists.
Get the games you truly like
You're not gonna play 1/6 of them
>>
>>3808406
try flea markets

otherwise, rest in piss
>>
Sure it's worth it. Start with PS2
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 351x440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 351x440px
>>3808420
> only 30 Canadian buckaroos for the console
Solid advice
>>3808415
Also solid.
>>
>>3808406
I've been considering starting a collection for years. Prices are still rising, and at this point it looks like imports are my only option for decent prices as flea markets are basically nonexistent in my area.

It's not impossible to get into, but you really do have to limit yourself and look for deals.
>>
>>3808406
For Playstation: maybe.

For Sega stuff: probably not.

For Nintendo: no, that shit has skyrocketed into oblivion.

For SNK: you shouldn't even think about this if you're starting out and want to find them cheap.

For PC: you might find some deals but you'll be limited to the most popular ones and newer versions instead of big box ones if that's what you're looking for.

It's been said here quite a lot of times but honestly you're better off getting an Everdrive/emulate it or buy it on a digital service if you just wanna find good deals and don't care about playing the games you would want to collect.
>>
>>3808406
playstation games are going up in price but they're still relatively affordable

I'd start with ps2/xbox and maybe venture into ps1

but not gamecube because nintendo game sellers are literally the cancer killing the used vidya market
>>
>>3808406
Imports are a possible option, I am looking into a basically all jp collection due to US prices. RPGs will be quite the problem, but outside of that, it isn't too big of an issue, aside from maybe regional differences, and needing the right region console to play.
>>
>>3808415

This. It's beyond pointless to pay top dollar for something you'll never actually play.
>>
Cartridge-bases consoles: No-Intro
PS1: Redump

Thank me after not spending thousands of dollars for stuff you can have for free.
>>
>>3808406
Sure it is...for 6th and 7th gen games.
>>
>>3808473
I hate emufags so goddamn much
>>
File: image.jpg (293KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
293KB, 1500x1000px
>>3808452
> mfw I'm not a collector but own a ton of gamecube stuff, mostly bought as a kid
> mfw I walk into my local game store and see its all overpriced as hell
> mfw I am the cancer
>>
Buy original consoles and flashcarts or mod them to played burned discs.
>>
>>3808450
How about Atari stuff?

2600/7800?
5200?
Atari Computers?
>>
>>3808521

No, download Retroarch. Fuck original hardware. Hardware dies eventually. Emulation is forever!
>>
>>3808532
>retroarch
Literally anything other than retroarch works better.
>>
>>3808537

You are retarded.
>>
>>3808539
Most of us would rather actually play games
>>
>>3808406
>Is starting a collection at this point even worth it
No, it's not worth it.
If you insist in buying the console and games instead of just simplifying your life with emulators, just buy the games you really want to play. Buying things just to own them and having them look pretty on a shelf is retarded and materialistic.
>>
>>3808420
>rt with PS2
I would agree, but PS2 and Xbox have been on the rise as people get wise to the trends.

Anything thats notoriously good is going to be expensive, God hand is still 50 bucks.
>>
>>3808503
It shouldn't be a surprise. Nintendo was at probably at its weakest point during the GC era, and the stuff sold relatively poorly. That makes it less common overall so of course it's worth more now just by the rules of supply and demand.
>>
File: 1422234353950.gif (3MB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
1422234353950.gif
3MB, 500x329px
>>3808406
If you have the extra money just buy what you enjoy and play them. I've spent my entire life playing games and picking up a few here and there that I like playing but now sadly it's time to move on. I'm selling everything because I'm sick and while I still have the energy to do it I'm trying to thin out all my stuff. It's alot harder than I thought because everything has a memory attached to it but I'm not selling the memories just the physical stuff and in some way it makes me happy that maybe somebody else will make good memories with my games. Keep on keepin on friends and hopefully you'll find whatever it is you're looking for in this life.
>>
If you aren't picky it's actually OK
Went to the gamestore with 22$ and came out with 6 loose gamecube games and Japanese pilotwongs 64
>>
>>3808797
That's not bad at all, I'm trying to sell all my stuff but I gotta admit that when I see something and it's really cheap I still buy it. I shouldn't be buying anything but after years of bargain hunting I can't help myself.
>>
>>3808406
You're getting into the game way too late. At this point, you are better off either emulating or getting flash carts and modding disc consoles. This is coming from someone with a collection of 2k+ games who's been collecting for years.
>>
>>3808415
>You're not gonna play 1/6 of them
More like 5/6 of them
>>
>>3808780
Yeah, it's definitely picking up speed every day. Most of my PS2 shelf I bought from yard sales in 2014 and 2015 for $1 each, probably picked up 60 decent titles at that price but now my current number one source for cheap vidya, Cashland sells PS2/XBOX at a flat $1 price and there's almost never anything worth a shit so people are no longer just liquidating "worthless" 6th gen games.
>>
>>3808791

Dying? I worry about where my games and consoles would end up after I pass away too. Hopefully they don't end up being whored out by resellers.
>>
>>3808872
Yup, pancreatic cancer, my aunt died of the same thing too a few years ago, she wasted away to nothing. I figure while I still have some energy I might as well get everything into order so my family doesn't have to deal with all my collections. I also have a pretty decent sized music and movie collection so I finally finished ripping everything I own onto a 4TB harddrive so I can give it to my family. Like I said I am having a hard time getting rid of some things but I just keep telling myself that it's all going to be sold eventually anyway.
>>
>>3808915
Aw jeeze dude. My condolences.
>>
>>3808781

It makes no sense when you look at the numbers versus the price. Super Smash Bros Melee sold over 7 million, and got a reprint in the form of the greatest hits edition, yet sells for around $60+. Luigi's Mansion was a launch game, also got reprinted, yet goes for $40+. Metroid Prime was bundled with the system yet goes for around $50-$70. There's not a single first-party game that goes for under $20 on the system,
>>
>>3808450

Gameboy stuff is still pretty ok. Collectors lost interest when they discovered CIB was impossible on it.
>>
>>3808915

I don't want to give you any false hope of curing your cancer but have you looked into trying black cumin seed oil? There's been proven research that it can arrest the development of cancer and buy you more time. I really suggest you give it a shot.
>>
>>3809002
Why is it impossible?
>>
>>3808450
The issue with Neo Geo is you'll never find them in the wild. You have to go to CL and find old arcade operators or guys who want their fridge sized game console gone since they got married or whatever.

The thing is, go ahead and start, but don't bitch about prices. In this market, the only winning move truly is not to play. If you want to play, don't get into it with the intention of getting a complete set of anything.

Grab some favorites for various consoles, grab some games you find cheap and give them a chance, but don't buy games you have no intention of ever playing just to bloat your library.
>>
>>3808406
If you're starting at nothing right now, you still could conceivably collect the most important titles at a tolerable price, as long as you have a job.

There are still the occasional games that are legit good that cost almost 200 bucks, like Wild Guns or Metal Storm, but you could just settle for repros on that front.
>>
>>3808406
Right now, it depends on your setup. If you have a good CRT, you should get original hardware and just buy a flashcart for each system. If you have no interest in a CRT, just emulate.

Unless you actually want to own physical stuff, in which case, godspeed.
>>
>>3808971
Well thanks man, what do you collect? Maybe I can start a vr raffle or something and give you guys some stuff.

>>3809015
thanks, I'll check it out now, can't hurt right?
>>
>>3809015
>black cumin seed oil

As I'm highlighting it to search for it I thought you caught me in a funny joke, black, cumin, seed but after looking into it for alittle I am ordering some off amazon right not. So thanks for the info and the laugh.
>>
Collecting is retarded. Like others have said, just get the stuff you like. Most collectors aren't even playing these games. They are just greedy fucking scrubs with a lot of money.

I'm in a local retro gaming facebook group and most things I see just piss me off. People post their photos of large lots of games they buy. They likely don't even play half of them and just throw them on their shelf and maybe check a checklist. When I joined, the admin sent me a bunch of photos of his messy massive collection. I can't imagine how untouched most that stuff goes. Just the other day he posted glass display cases full of just about every type of gameboy and every color. He's not playing each one of those. Frankly it's fucking rude to show this stuff off when they could go to someone who would actually use it. Not to mention hording like this fucks with the market.

Recently I've been buying sega saturn stuff to play. Most Japanese games are cheap and it's fun to play these games I've never heard of. I by no means want to buy a fuck load of games, only fun ones I want to play.
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 500x307px
>>3809076
Kinda unrelated but what really pisses me off is when they post photos of about $700 of some of the rarest, most primo crap with the caption "Only 75 cents at the flea market!".

Either that's a fucking lie or people as lucky as you should not exist.

Messy collections are also the worst. I own barley jack shit but do my best to make it look decently orderly in a well lit environment. Those photos of basements crammed full of unordered stacks of games are Triggering. At least get some decent shelving that's not covered in 80's peeling fake wood.
>>
>>3809103
Sorry if it pisses you off and I'm sure some people are lying about it just to fuck with people but I found some awesome shit for cheap at garage sales and the redneck flea market near me. Went to the flea market today and didn't find anything but a few movies and books but that's the way it goes, sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesn't go, today she didn't go. My point is you gotta get your ass out there and find it, go to these places at 5 or 6 in the morning with a flashlight and ask around. I found great stuff in the weirdest places like boxes of old tools or totes of wires and old VCRS but you gotta look. I actually enjoy it so I guess that is to my benefit but if you don't you have to pay up to someone else who went out and found it. Now I agree that the "finders fee" has fuckin skyrocketed on games the last few years and everyone says the bubble will burst so who knows maybe it will.
>>
>>3809103
>"Only 75 cents at the flea market!".
It's funny, because I find some of the absolute worst prices at my local flea markets. Every retarded, trend-chasing, jobless scrub has started selling retro vidya at my local flea markets. There are at least 10 stalls that have some form of video games for sale, and most of them are horrendously overpriced, and they think that as long as something is for an old video game system, it's worth at least 30 bucks.

Despite the reputation, i find eBay is the best place to buy retro games. You just have to be patient and not settle for the "buy it now" prices.
>>
>>3809127
>cheap at garage sales
I've been hunting for 7+ years and I've never found a single retro video game at a garage sale. I guess this is all up to luck, but then mine has been shit. Every time I drive by a yard sale, I stop. Nothing but spice racks and bicycle tires.

If I ever do find a single, rare game I'm looking for, it wouldn't be worth the money in gas that I have wasted driving places over the past 7 years.

My advice to people is to be vigilant on ebay and try and catch someone who doesn't know what they're selling. I saw a copy of Kirby's Dreamland 3 go for 20 bucks last year. Sadly, it happened while I was asleep, otherwise my phone would have alerted me.
>>
>>3808406
absolutely never going to understand people who pay for physicals of old shit they intend on playing when the best alternative is pirating. you're not going to hurt publishers by pirating old games on legit hardware, but if you genuinely want to support a publisher then just buy the official emulated/virtual console/ports of their old games.
>>
>>3809130
I agree, keep eyes on ebay auctions. Most jap sellers do buy it now though.

Amazon actually has decent enough prices depending on the game/console of course. I've found things cheaper on Amazon than on ebay.
>>
>>3809130
The flea market I went today was not my usual because it's not in season yet and this is an indoor and my usual is an outdoor. They had a video game store and the prices were ludicrous really, like 79.99 for a wii, which is laughable. But my regular flea market I go to is the most hick redneck thing ever, it's a fucking field, I kid you not, like 500 vendors all set up in a field, you have to bring your own tables and walk a mile for a port o potty. That's where I find most of my stuff because you have to walk around all day and ask around and root through tons of crap to find stuff. It has gotten alot harder the last few years because people expect the world for stuff but I still find good stuf like Gamecube games in piles and totes of DVDs and PS/ Dreamcast in CDs.

>>3809139
Yeah garage sales are way harder to find stuff than the flea market imo. Basically stay away from any kinds Game/DVD "stand" at the flea market because they just beat you the good stuff and are asking top dollar anyway. Once and awhile you will find a guy with a stand that is cool, like last year there was this guy, who is a doctor after talking to him for alittle looking through his stuff that was unloading games and mostly star wars toys. He gave me Popeye and Kid Icarus and a couple more decent games for 2 bucks a piece, life force was another one, think I bought Tetris on Gameboy off him for a buck. Guess it's just finding the right guy at the right time.

Few years ago I wrote a big thing on here about tips & tricks I use at the flea market and I wish I would have saved it but I was on my phone in the hospital. I've sold stuff at the flea market too, not games but junk and you really get a different view of how you look yourself as a buyer. So many people just poo poo your stuff or won't even say Hi to you, you have to be friendly, you don't have to suck their cock but even if the stuff isn't your kinda thing just be respectful. It goes a long way if you ask somebody nicely.
>>
>>3809143
Yeah I gotta be honest, I have basically switched over to emulating on the wii now. I don't think I've paid more than 5 dollars for any game the last 10 years because I'm so cheap but now I'm even cheaper with the wii. It's not that I don't like playing on original stuff I do but now that I got the emulator on the wii I got all the stuff I could never get. Yeah I had emulators for years but now I got it all setup on my big screen with the wireless pro controller, it's just too damn comfy.
>>
>>3809161
I built a cheap ass rig specifically for emulating up to DEmul that I use with my CRT. The only time I pay for games these days is on Steam via G2A, Greenmangaming or Humble Bundle mainly because college tuition, rent and food are a priority.
>>
>>3809156
>people expect the world for stuff
This is a symptom of the previous generation. They don't think depreciation is a thing.
>>
>>3809156
>So many people just poo poo your stuff or won't even say Hi to you
I live in New England where nobody says "hi" to anybody unless they actually know them. Flea markets are still shit, though. I saw a guy trying to get ten bucks a piece for fucking Madden shit. All these fucking useless scrubs just go on ebay and see some SNES games selling for a fortune, so they think ALL SNES games are valuable. There are 60 year old grandpas selling off their attics along with some old video games, and they think everything is worth a fortune. Part of it is that baby boomers think everything is worth what it cost when it was new, and bandwagon vidya sellers who think every old video game is worth 60 bucks, and bandwagon vidya collectors who are willing to pay that.
>>
>>3809171
That's nice setup, I'm so cheap I don't even have an HDTV. I mean I have HD monitors and I do have some money but I'm very stingy. I have a giant CRT like 40+ inches and I'm not moving it or getting an new TV til this thing breaks and it's been a beast, damn thing weighs 177 pounds. It works for what I need it to do which is mostly play old games anyway so eventually I'll get an HDTV and recently been looking kinda but I'm happy with it the way I have my setup.
>>
>>3809181
wtf? Retro game buyers are so skimpy where I live, assholes like that would give up pretty quick.
>>
>>3809181
yeah there has been alot of that the last few years sadly, I'm in Pennsylvania but the people here are nice enough, if you're white, thank god I am. I try and let people know what they have in the nicest way possible and not be a know it all asshole type but most people are stubborn. Some people are really receptive and are just really glad for any knowledge you have on the subject and really care. I never lie and say I know about a certain topic or item if I don't because you have to back it up, if I do I'll tell um but if I don't I'm not ashamed to say I have no idea. It goes back to that old saying that there are no stupid questions and if you don't ask you'll never know. That's why I wrote the whole tips for the flea market things a few years ago because I've been doing it for a long time and feel like I know alittle bit about it from the buyer and seller prospective, maybe I'll write up another one soon for you guys.
>>
>>3809194
The people who only deal in it part-time can make money off of their other shit, usually vinyl and receivers. People who deal exclusively in retro vidya are easy bait for hipster fags who will pay any price for the sake of convenience.
>>
File: gus_chiggins.jpg (51KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
gus_chiggins.jpg
51KB, 600x399px
>>3809195
>prospective

*perspective

THERE'S GAMES IN THER HILLS SONNY!!! FOLLOW ME!
>>
File: 100_1175.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_1175.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>3809196
I pick up records now and then and it's weird that it is coming back and is the 'hipster' thing. I bought lots of albums that turned out to be worth alot of money and the majority of them were people giving them to me because they know I like records or buying them for a dollar at the flea market. Now I go into a hippy shop in Rehoboth beach and they have records for like 40 bucks that I got for 50 cents a few years ago. Few years ago I picked up The Wall and Darkside for a dollar each and they still had the original posters inside which was fuckin awesome, I framed them and put them up. The way I look at collecting records is just like games, if I'm going to play/listen to it I'll buy it, for cheap of course because I'm a cheap bastard. I'm not just going to buy a 100 records of Engleburt Humbledink to sit on the frickin shelf. And yes I have come across HUNDREDS of Humperdink records, some people have the weirdest fuckin taste and collections.

Here's one of the posters before I framed it
>>
File: 100_1171.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_1171.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>3809214
The other which is my favorite poster I have
>>
>>3809194
>Retro game buyers are so skimpy where I live
Where do you live?

>>3809195
>Some people are really receptive and are just really glad for any knowledge you have on the subject and really care.
I know of exactly one retro game dealer at my local flea market who is reasonable. His selection isn't always the best, but that's because he prices stuff reasonably. I visit him maybe once a month, and almost his entire inventory has changed, as opposed to other re sellers who will keep the same copy of Kirby Superstar at 50 bucks until some retard pays for it. He offers all kinds of deals to move his merchandise, so his inventory is always changing. If you buy a complete system, he throws in a few cheaper games, and if you buy at least 2 games, he shaves off a reasonable chunk of the price. All of his shitty/ubiquitous games are in a bin for a buck and piece, because he knows they never move. He honestly seems more interested in getting people to play games than he is about riding trends.

This is what really matters. It's not about how nice you are as a buyer. It's about how the seller views what he's trying to sell. You'll never change their opinion on that. Or maybe, once again, that's just a regional thing here in New England.
>>
>>3809214
Weird, a lot of classic rock records are worth dick because they are so common. Always check discogs.com. In person resalers are marketing to hipsters, not to actuality.

>>3809219
Utah. The plus side of them being skimpy is that they expect that and sometimes give deals. I got the two devil summoner saturn games for 20 while they were listed at 40 because I told the lad that they were overpriced. Probably could have gotten them online cheaper, but after shipping it waa worth.
>>
>>3809214
>Rehoboth
Greetings to a fellow southern New England fag.
>>
>>3809219
I feel ya, there is one guy at the indoor dirt mall flea market here. Now I've known this guy since I was like 5 years old, like 30 fuckin years now. He used to charge a dollar to clean your game back in the day because he was the only guy who had a security bit screwdriver, this was back in the 90's and all he did was rub the contacts with a giant eraser. He would turn his back to you and act like he was doing something really really important to the game then one say I just saw him rubbing it with one of those giant pink fuckin erasers from school. Now to make a short story long I've seen this guy my entire fuckin life, granted he looks like he is on more drugs than me but he always trys to charge me out the ass. I never buy from the guy because he wants so damn much, just the other week I went by his stand just farting around and asked how much he wanted for Tetris 2, been on a Tetris kick lately and he said 25 or 30 dollars. Like wtf man we both know it's not worth that just give me a decent price and I'm standing here with cash.

>>3809226
yeah I've actually come across some decent stuff, got a Beatles ablum for a dollar that turned out to be worth like 250 so that was cool.

>>3809228
I'm from PA but we go to Rehoboth and Sea isle NJ every year,actually it's Fenwick island Delaware but Rehoboth is the big party town in that area, you know.
>>
>>3809230
>Rehoboth is the big party town in that area, you know.
I didn't know that, but I'm a pretty big shut-in. Not much of a party guy. Once again, it's a New England attitude to keep to yourself. It's why I'll probably never move away from here. I've had neighbors that I've lived next to for 10 years, and I don't even know their names. It's fuckin' great.
>>
>>3809226
I really wanna check out some Saturn games on the emulator because a friend of mine had one back in the 90's. He only had a few games but we had alot of fun on it.

>>3809237
>I've had neighbors that I've lived next to for 10 years, and I don't even know their names. It's fuckin' great.
Fuck yeah I hear ya, it's the same way around here, got tons of neighbors and only really talk to 1 of them. When I said party town I meant like it's the place to go in that area to shop when you're down at the beach. I used to party alot but not so much anymore but I still like to chill and have some fun.
>>
>>3809226
I don't know what kinda thrift shop situation you have in Utah but around here I found some good stuff. Just the other week I found a bag of Mario toys and it was like 3 bucks and it had a Fire Mario keychain in there so I said fuck it and bought it. It's those mini mario world toys I guess for the new super mario bros game that came out and I didn't realize how expensive these things were. The thrift shops can have some really nice stuff cheap, at least here in my area.I'll post a pic from my phone since I just threw them on a shelf I had until I figure out what to do with them.
>>
File: 20170219_024502.jpg (193KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20170219_024502.jpg
193KB, 640x480px
>>3809257
>>
>>3809230
Whoever sold that is a complete moron who didn't check the pressing. Most Beatles are worth nothing, but the right one is worth a lot.

>>3809240
I started buying Saturn stuff because I was sick of struggling with emulators for it. It's mostly cheap apart from the shmups and a few other games that are good. There are a lot of cool controllers as well. I lucked out on the sun saturn sun pad for really cheap.

>>3809257
We have what is called Deseret Industry. They are picked hard by people trying to make it by. Retro games are hunted as well. Basically every game is marked at 6, even if it is worth way less or way more. I have found a few games worth more than what I bought them for. Gotta show up at opening to find anything most the time. Some good finds and prices here and there (gamecube with cords for 25) and some bullshit.
>>
>>3809292
yeah most records really aren't worth mcuh but for a dollar I like to kick back and throw on some Zeppelin or Hendrix. Out of all the Beatles records I've picked up over the years it's really the only one worth over 100 bucks but I'm really all about the condition. If I can play it and it's in perfect shape and the price is right I'll get it but people that never listen to their vinyl is insane, like people grading and boxing up their games never to be played again.

The only piece of Saturn equipment I have is a controller and I don't even know where it came from. Buddy must of left it with a bunch of Atari stuff he brought over but it's not like a genesis controller that works on the Atari so why he had it I'll never know. I never tried the Saturn emulator but I was hoping it was good enough to try out some games.
>>
>>3809307
It's always something with a saturn emulator. The one I got working wouldn't play music. The others would struggle graphically. I finally gave in, bought one and started importing games. All you need is the action replay to play imported games.

I'm all about condition on my records as well. Beat up records are worth 15-25 percent of actually value.
>>
>>3809325
I've gotten really lucky with records like 5-10 years ago in finding bands that I like. Some old guy sold me like 7 Zeppelin albums for 10 bucks the one day and it was funny because just like 30 minutes before I met him some guy was telling me that 15 bucks was the lowest price I was every going to find Zeppelin 1 for. I bought 2 Sgt Peppers because one of the was in shitty shape but the album folder was in great shape and the other I bought the record was in great shape but the outside was completely fucked. I actually still have it because it makes me laugh,s one guy tried to draw his own Sgt Peppers logo on the cardboard blank side of some other album and just glued it on. It's so shitty it;s good.
>>
File: 0609020620.jpg (639KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
0609020620.jpg
639KB, 2048x1536px
>>3809334
Actually have a pic from back then when I was showing a friend who was asking to buy them. I never did sell them though.
>>
File: NintendoDSGames.png (688KB, 600x552px) Image search: [Google]
NintendoDSGames.png
688KB, 600x552px
DS Games are the best to collect right now.

>Loads of great games
>Sold really well
>Games are super cheap and plentiful second hand
>Take up a small amount of space
>Very easy to find complete
>It's Nintendo
>As a growass man I still have time to pick them and play them in small bursts.
>>
>>3809374

Collecting DS games is an absolute nightmare because there are so many fake ones around. Check out Metal Jesus' channel on Youtube, he did a video on how to spot fake DS games. It's a goddamn science in itself.
>>
>>3809374
>shit hard to find
>shovelware
>mostly sold out of case
>didn't print many copies of the good stuff so every title is 'rare'
>fakes everywhere.
>>
>>3808502
And we hate you!

I'm playing "insert game here" while your complaining and wasting money. It's not like the developers are getting any money from you buying overpriced games from a reseller! You're actually to blame in the skyrocketing of prices!
>>
>>3808529
Just emulate it.
>>
>>3809076
Shit yeah man! I can understand having a backup console or broken consoles for parts, but these cunts aren't even gonna play them enough to need extras?!?!?. It's a gross hipster hordeing thing. I don't get it. Most of them have probably never beaten a Mario/super Mario Bros game, let alone own a few different ones.

>ohh Damm guys I just bought super mario rpg For $500! But I'll never play it. I'll let you know I have it, and I might try and play it with a strategy guide from gamefaqs.com. but, I'll just give up and brag about how have such a rare game
>did you know I bought super mario rpg fir $500 dollars?
>>
>>3808529
I dunno, I guess they're affordable if you live in America but I don't know about it's emulation so can't say for sure. You might want to import if you live outside the USA.
>>
>>3809467
i follow a couple of collector facebook pages. this one guy posted his game boy collection
20 boxed game boys and advance gameboys band new. i will never understand that why not sell them to kids or something. is he going to play them all
>>
>>3809002

I admit that for now it's not too bad to find GB games for cheap. Some of them have become a little more expensive like Link's Awakening or Trip World but hey, almost every platform has some games with huge demand and little offer. Haven't had any experience with repros for it but I heard that they are decent for Gameboy (Color) like for Shantae or Pokemon. Everdrive is also an option if you wanna have stuff on the go and don't want to take too many carts but it's kinda pricy if you don't need many games.
>>
>>3809023
>Grab some favorites for various consoles, grab some games you find cheap and give them a chance, but don't buy games you have no intention of ever playing just to bloat your library.

This. I can understand that collecting is a hobby at its own but if you just wanna play games instead of bragging about it then just get what you're interested in. I got around 15 SNES, 12 GB and 14 PS1 games and even though I'm looking around for more I can't say I'm disappointed. Not at all even.
>>
>>3809219
That's awesome. But I will never buy a game, if my money isn't making it to the developers in some way!
>>
>>3809474
That's like torture, why do you follow them?
>>
>>3808406
No idea what having a collection is worth to you. Obviously not as much as bitching about shit on the internet or you'd be starting a collection instead of doing that.
>>
>>3810359
But bitching is free anon
>>
Any tips on how to become reseller scum?
>>
>>3811095
Not exactly. His mom pays for his intarwebz.
>>
>>3808406
Unless you're collecting for the original Xbox and modern consoles not really. Just about everything else has blown up in price and even cheaper options such as importing Japanese versions of US or European games have started going up. Like millions of others have stated get what you want and if it's too expensive find a way to play it on your platform of choice without paying for it or emulating it.

Also at least for me part of the fun of collecting what I did want was finding games for cheap out in the wild which is pretty much dead now thanks to where I live having like three active retro game shops with resellers scrounging to get everything the moment every local pawn shop, thrift store, or flea market opens. It's that or everyone just looking up the games on ebay with their smartphone and pricing it according to that making it more expensive than just getting it off there when you factor in gas.

Fucking Goodwill you greedy cunts.
>>
>>3811153>>3811153
It's a hells cape for some like me who's just started to buy physical again. I've only been able to find cheap games for my ps3 and some ds games. I miss being young and walking into a shop for 5 dollar gems.
>>
>>3809041

Condolences. Have you considered donating your games to a museum? Even if you mostly have common stuff there might be a few gems that need to be preserved.
>>
Sure, if you like physical media. Just don't join the ranks of kids complaining about how "normies" jumping on the bandwagon have driven up prices when you've just jumped on yourself.

All of the major retro consoles have a decent library of affordable games. Pick the one you like, buy a couple of decent games and build it up over time. You can have a nice little collection before too long.

Though if you just want a shelf full of games to stand infront of on youtube, then you're gonna have to splash out, or go for PS2/Xbox games.

What systems interest you, OP?
>>
Heaps of cheap stuff now, just go back 1 or 2 generations because in 5 years it will start to be hard to find
>>
>>3808915
Sorry brother to hear that. But know those memories will live on in those games and could potentially create new ones in someone else. You're gonna make some kid real happy
>>
>>3809441
I had an encounter with /v/aggot retard who posted that he plays only retail copies because it was the true authentic experience. Probably from here, actually. When I pressed that guy telling that it's 100% exactly same in coding, his response was the gold face never ever meme. There is only one true legit version, and that is the master copy sitting inside dev cabinet that may or may not even exist any more. The experience does not change at all, especially the case when playing on a reproduced cartridges, and what this retail copy only players claim are placebos, if anything.

It's fine to pay for games when you're paying respect for the work devs have put in. When your money is not going to the devs, it's absolutely pointless.
>>
>>3811381
Are you #triggered? Do you need a #safespace? Do you want ACTUAL discussion or do you want shitpost/repeated/bait threads like >>3808406 >>3810829 >>3807464 >>3806407 >>3811048 >>3803056 >>3807067 >>3810035 >>3799694 >>3803420 and >>3806106 ?
>>
>>3811398
Kill yourself.
>>
>>3811398
Wrong thread, cuck.
>>
>>3809441
>You're actually to blame in the skyrocketing of prices!

And here it is, their smug attitude is just to hide the fact that emulatorfags are mad they can't afford the games.
>>
>>3809406
It's pretty easy to spot them desu.
>>
>>3811483
I've decided to start putting responses to shitposts in shitposts threads instead.
>>
>>3811540
Instead of what?
>>
>>3808406
Flashcarts are better.
Take up 0.01 % of the space
Cost 0.001% of what a full collection costs
Not hoarding games you won't play
Not hating yourself for spending thousands of dollars on games that you will never play
Playing on the original hardware
Flashcart master race
>>
>>3811950
>I'm so glad I replaced my $4 million 10,000 game collection with a single flash cart.
>>
File: Encoragment_to_visit_a_ghetto.jpg (552KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Encoragment_to_visit_a_ghetto.jpg
552KB, 2592x1944px
>>3808406
Depends on how much you enjoy having a collection. If the games themselves are all that matter, emulation and/or flash carts (+burning CDs) will do just fine. At this point, prices are pretty high compared to times when the games/systems were out of fashion, but only you can determine the worth of having something physical for yourself, I have no right in telling you how you spend your own spare money.

I never intended to have a collection, I was just fortunate enough to have held onto most of what I had. The deals I had found over the years were mostly because I was just at the right place at the right time. Being poor meant settling for the less popular or old games. What mattered to me was that I enjoyed playing the games. However, even though I do emulate and have some forms of flash carts as well, I do have memories associated with a lot of the games I had acquired.

>>3809103
I wouldn't consider myself lucky. However, I am surprised some things ended out to have appreciated in price. Sometimes, the deal is part of the fond memory of some items, like my Gleylancer for $20 shipped or X'eye found in an alley.

I do live in filth given my financial situation. I try to keep things clean, but I don't have the time as my wageslave work tires me out, and any other free time is devoted to maintaining employment for my shit job. So most of my games are just in bins, so I can easily just dust/wipe the bin tops; if I were to get shelving for everything it would eat up a lot more space and probably difficult for me to keep cleaned.

>>3808915
I feel sad for your misfortune. It sounds like a very difficult situation to me as I have almost no clue how I'd go about things. Kudos to you for staying positive and proactive in making the most of things. As mentioned, for the games I enjoyed, all types, I currently still have the ability to associate some memory to even the ultimately meaningless physical objects.
>>
>>3808915

Sorry to hear that, man. Stay strong. Your stuff is gonna make someone very, very happy and you'll have those memories for the rest of your days, even if you don't have the games themselves. God bless, buddy.
>>
>this has been a primarily gentlemanly thread

What happened? On this topic no less.

I didn't have a lot of games when I was younger OP so I'm in a similar boat. I've came up with the system for myself. I will ONLY buy physical media when out flea market hunting with friends. Otherwise, I'm emulating that shit on my Wii. I have all sorts of original hardware, but as stated earlier ITT, emulation is just really, really convenient.
>>
>>3811950
>Not hoarding games you won't play
You say that like it's a good thing. Hoarding keeps games out of the hands of filthy self entitled millennials. It's doing gods work. I have so many multiple copies of meme games I have to keep them in storage.
>>
>>3811950
You forgot rom hacks, translations and homebrew games as well.

Also, saves are backed up to the SD Card so you can keep them forever without worrying about the battery dying. You can add and remove games easily
>>
>>3811540
This thread was a legitimate discussion until your stupid ass showed up.
>>
>>3809467
I'm glad you agree, but smrpg is worth about 50 loose. Ebabies will buy it for more I'm sure however.

Funny thing is that I just bought Radiant Silvergun at exactly 200 complete. I won't be posting it on facebook however. And I swear to fucking god I'm going to beat that thing multiple times and try everything I can to exhaust every aspect of that game. I'm not buying it to show it off in my collection, I'm buying it to play on my hardware because it's a good fucking game. Some people may think I'm dumb for buying it and that's exactly why I wont post it to facebook. I'll be ready to resale it if I have to.

I don't want to go into detail, but someone in the group just posted photos of two console collections they just completed. Now that's a fucking waste of time and money. Not to mention one of consoles is objectively shit. He even collected variant releases. Yeah, tell me those are going to be played.
>>
>>3811153
Sounds like where I live. At most thrift stores I maybe can find a few nes or atari games and some beat up ps1s, but it's not really worth it. There's no fun in collecting without the hunt. Sad part is that the hunt now includes retro game stores for some if not most people. This cunt in the fb group posted his "find" of a boxed gameboy in great condition. I wanted to reply "find, are you fucking kidding me? I saw that in the retro game store for days," but he is an admin and I'd get banned for that. He got a bunch of likes, a guy made a snide remark and probably almost got banned, more positive comments like "good job, cool find!" ITS NOT A FUCKING FIND IF IT'S AT A SPECIALTY STORE.

I admit that the most thrills I get these days are from ebay. Bid wars are quite fun, albeit being sniped isn't. Just ended a bid war in "loss" after a guy out bid me about 20 dollars and I realized there was a buy it now in better condition for much much cheaper. Have fun with that, bitch. It'll be arriving at my house from inside the states in a few days before your auction even ends, dumbass hahaha. Have fun waiting for that ship from Japan.

Always buy to play though. That's my golden rule. Never to collect.
>>
>>3808406
sweet jesus no

if you don't have anything to begin with, don't get started because then you'll get attached and it'll be hard to let go.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.