[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this games level design so weird? Am I not playing it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: tmp_30235-images-19298729.jpg (22KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30235-images-19298729.jpg
22KB, 275x183px
Why is this games level design so weird? Am I not playing it right? Because I can beat levels in like 30 seconds without looking at the other paths.
>>
>>3807412
You mean the first few levels?
Like Mario?
>>
>>3807412
You're supposed to look for the enemy generators.
>>
>>3807412
>Why is this games level design so weird?
Because it's actually a bad game. People just like it because of the music or because they were too dumb to know better as a kid.
>>
>>3807412
Sonic CD is built around searching for enemy generators and Metal Sonic holograms via the time travel. If you destroy both in the past all the robots in a level disappear and you get a good future, and if you get a good future in every zone you get the true ending.

That said the game doesn't really pull it off well. The levels keep ushering you forward like a normal Sonic level, especially the gimmicky ones like Wacky Workbench, and exploring the upper paths can get frustrating since one mistake will waste minutes of your time as you try to get back to where you were. It's not great.

The best thing about CD is its presentation and style.
>>
Sonic 2: Speed-based
Sonic CD: Exploration-based
Sonic 3&K: Speed + Exploration-based.

It wasn't until Sonic 3K they found a good middle ground of exploration and speed. Sonic Mania might top it though with its rich level design.
>>
File: elaine-seinfeld22.png (217KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
elaine-seinfeld22.png
217KB, 500x325px
>>3807412
You're supposed to look for
>Past signposts
>places to gain speed to go into the past
>Floating Cheeseburger (past)
>Metal Sonic Hologram (past)
It's just that there's little incentive to do so unless you want the best ending.
>>
The best way to play Sonic CD is to not play Sonic CD and just listen to the soundtrack instead.
>>
File: 1435499974239.png (84KB, 466x492px) Image search: [Google]
1435499974239.png
84KB, 466x492px
>>3807412
>I can beat levels in like 30 seconds without looking at the other paths
>>
It still baffles me it's [current year] and people are still trying to play Sonic CD like a regular Sonic game. Literally do five seconds of research, the fucking Wikipedia article would suffice.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.