[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which lesser known FPSs are worth playing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: beautiful-elexis-1.jpg (77KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
beautiful-elexis-1.jpg
77KB, 1024x768px
Which lesser known FPSs are worth playing?
>>
>>3807297

Blake Stone: Planetstrike

The first one (Aliens of Gold) was just straight up shooting and garish fullbright with no shading. The sequel added distance shadows, per-room light levels like ROTT and actual objectives you have to complete like placing the fusion detonator on the reactor core or recovering a data chip.

Between that and the vending machines, health machines and interactable NPCs which either help or attack you depending on their loyalties, it was remarkably sophisticated for a game built on the Wolfenstein 3D engine.
>>
Exhumed on sega saturn, its absolutely fabulous
>>
Requiem - Avenging Angel
>>
File: 39958484.jpg (96KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
39958484.jpg
96KB, 640x480px
Trespasser, but you'll only enjoy it if you take this piece of dialogue to heart:.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: I'll love it when it works.
Eddie Carr: It'll work when you love it.
How ironic in retrospect.

(Seriously though, run with with the atx mod to improve stability and it can be a very fun game. Hard as balls though. http://www.trescom.org/ )
>>
Lesser known (outside of Nipland):
Crime Crackers 1 and 2.

Not lesser known, but seldom ever mentioned in FPS circles (because many may consider them platformers rather than FPS for various reasons, not the least of which is that the camera is just behind the PC rather than filling the role of the PC's eyes, but they certainly fill my FPS needs when I wanna play one):

Jumping Flash series
Ghost in the Shell

I am now preparing myself for some hateposts.
>>
>>3807349
I disagree on this one, personally.

It's an interesting game from a historical perspective, as a snapshot of the quake 2/half life era, but there's a reason it was barely remembered by most.
>>
>>3807343

+1 for Exhumed/Powerslave on Sega Saturn.
>>
>>3807509

Ghost In The Shell is one of my fave games ever
>>
>>3807781
How's Powerslave EX? Is it how different is that vs emulating the Saturn version (assuming it's playable)?
>>
>>3807808
It's worth it for being as close as we'll get to an animated version of the manga.
>>
>>3807502
Love this game
>>
>>3808142
too easy.
>>
>>3808142
It's really good, and plays better than the original
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z8pba9xnxzjjv2s/Powerslave+EX+v.1.0.0+%2B+patch+v.1.0.1.7z
>>
File: Elexis1.jpg (258KB, 900x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Elexis1.jpg
258KB, 900x2400px
>>3807297

I want to FUCK Elexis.
>>
>>3807343
>>3807781
>playing an FPS on a console
>playing a retro FPS on a console
>playing a retro FPS that is available for PC on a console

You sicken me.
>>
>>3808404
inb4 retarded "fans" bring up SAC
>>
>>3808658
Did you know there's a hidden nude texture of Elexis in the game's files? You just need to extract them and put them in a certain folder.
>>
File: ridesagain1.png (135KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ridesagain1.png
135KB, 800x600px
Redneck Rampage Rides Again (the sequel to Redneck Rampage)
It fixes many issues from the first game, adds a lot, and has MUCH better level design.
The first level is probably the worst though, so stick with it.

>>3807343
This.

>>3808670
You have no idea what you're talking about. Exhumed on PC isn't even the same game. But it's also worth playing, for different reasons than the console version.

>>3808646
No it doesn't. For one thing PowerslaveEX is a recreation of the PS1 version, which itself was a port of the Saturn version.
The PS1 and Saturn version are different in the way they play, and about a total of 4 stages are different or exclusive to each version. That's just the top of the iceberd.

If you ask me the Saturn version is the best, for instance it's the only version in which you can bomb jump (like rocket jumping but with the hand bomb). The PS1 version worth playing too. There is no reason to play a recretion like EX.
>>
>>3808923
There is a scene in the game where she is straight up flickin her bean in a hot tub as well.
>>
File: Marathon.jpg (586KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Marathon.jpg
586KB, 1920x1080px
>>3807297
>>
Pic related. And the sequel.

Also: Marathon.
>>
Strife, as recommended by Freeman's own mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPrU7LSqiX0
>>
Eradicator.
>>
Daikatana, it has a very unique setting lots of different weapons.
>>
>>3812894
the nolf games aren't particularly good. Also not retro.
>>
nam. It's fun
>>
>>3807297
Man that is one serious case of "resting bitch face".
>>
>>3813516
>linking Ross's video

eugh.
>>
>>3807297
>>3807297
SiN is such a bummer. I played it for the first time either last year or two years ago, and it was a real slog. You can tell that they were ambitious, but just didn't have the time or resources to make it happen (multiple level paths and exits, hacking, sectional body armor actually mattering), and it ends up just being mediocre and cheesy in the worst ways.

Speaking of ambitious but flawed, Kingpin is a weird one. The starting levels are kinda proto Deus Ex -- interactive hub areas (complete with shops!) that lead to combat sections with multiple paths to complete the same objective. It even has a pseudo-party system where you can pay NPCs to fight alongside you. But it ends up just turning into a typical shooter by the end, which wasn't a very good choice because the combat is absurdly difficult. I think it's worth giving a shot, at least to appreciate the attempt at breaking the shooter mold.
>>
>>3807297
Surprisingly, hardly anyone talks about Unreal these days.
>>
>>3809432

I love Redneck Rampage

As soon as Trump won I wanted to reinstall it and roleplay as a hick

I think I will. I'll probably buy some pork rinds this weekend and some beer and enjoy it. Looking forward!
>>
>>3815143

Yeah I liked Kingpin, it had a Cypress Hill soundtrack on the CD I think.

Very cool but yeah I remember it being extremely difficult, which was unusual for a FPS because they're usually pathetically easy.

Did anybody play Soldier of Fortune?

I liked that one.
>>
>>3815940
Sof1 Tokyo levels were goat
>>
>>3815156
Unreal 1 and 2
Daikatana isn't as bad as people say but has a few issues, overall still recommend for difficulty
Delta Force 2
Rouge Spear
Quake 1 and 2
>>
>>3816467
>Daikatana isn't as bad as people say but has a few issues, overall still recommend for difficulty
It isn't that bad because most people play with a patch that deactivates your partners AI.
>>
>>3813576
>>3816467

Daikatana's Episode 2 and 3 are seriously good, especially if you disable the partners. It's like the Ep2 and 3 level designers were on a mission to make a really good game while the rest of the team farted around with Ep1 and 4.
>>
>>3815940
>SoF
I remember those games being hard as balls and brutal.
Brb downloadin.
>>
>>3813579
>aren't paticularly good
Kill yourself.
>>
>>3816467
Sorry, but Unreal 2 is shit.
Epic managed to completely destroy visual design and sense of exploration that made original Unreal great. Weapons are shit, enemies are mostly shit, level design is linear and uninspired, stellar art direction suddenly gone.
>>
>>3807297
Realms of the Haunting.

Totally recommend.
>>
File: swat.exe_2017-02-01-18-23-26-362.jpg (342KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
swat.exe_2017-02-01-18-23-26-362.jpg
342KB, 1280x960px
SWAT 3 has the best squad AI I have ever witnessed. Also, the variety in the way enemy and civilian AI behave and the unpredictable way they move around the map makes missions have tons of replay value, and the developers capitalized on this by later adding a custom mission mode where the player can customize or randomize the number of AI in mission to further increase replayability. The graphics are also great for 1999 standards, the levels have beautiful lighting.

Unfortunately its been greatly overshadowed by its inferior and heavily flawed sequel.
>>
>>3817029
I agree completely
>>
>>3817029
There's only one swat for me
>>
File: 1441_back.jpg (97KB, 640x760px) Image search: [Google]
1441_back.jpg
97KB, 640x760px
Alien Trilogy if you don't mind the bullets moving in slow-motion.
Very spooky when I played it as a child.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.