[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4

File: ys.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ys.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
I'm really curious about games like Ys and I was wondering where to start. The NES games? Is there a better version that is easy to emulate?
What's with Ys in general?
>>
Get a Wii
Soft Mod it
Get WiiMednafen
Download a PC Engine Copy of Ys Books 1 & 2
>>
There's an image going around telling you what to play but I don't have it so I'll just tell you.

Definitely play:
>Ys 1&2 Chronicles+ (PC)
>Ys: Oath in Felghana (complete remake of Ys 3, plays nothing like Ys 3, often considered the best game in the series) (PC)
>Ys Origin (Ys 0 basically, my personal favorite) (PC)
>Ys Seven (PSP, there's a Chinese PC version but just emulate the PSP version)

Maybe play:
>Ys: Memories of Celceta (remake of 4: Dawn of Ys, but I haven't played it because I don't have a Vita, so I don't know much about it) (Vita)
>Ys 4: Dawn of Ys (decent game that might be worth playing even though it's been remade) (PCE)
>Ys 5 (first Ys game with an attack button, SNES exclusive for some reason, it's one of the most just okay games I've ever played) (SNES)
>Ys 6 (laid the foundation for Oath and Origin, but much worse than both, kind of a tedious game, you can fuck yourself over past a point of no return, you still might like it)
>>
>>3807061
thanks man, I'll try to get them on steam soon
>>
>>3807047
Get a turbo duo
>>
Unlike most other long Japanese RPG series, Ys has a story continuity and recurring characters.

Why would you even consider the Famicom versions?
>>
I'd be like "play the original, you casual", but I actually beat the PC-88 version and I wouldn't recommend it, the reason being that the scrolling could cause you actual headaches.
>>
>>3807147
What about the X1? In my experience it's more suited for that kind of stuff.
>>
>>3807167
The X1 did have an edge over the PC-88 in drawing graphics quicker, but IIRC the X1 port's very similar to the PC-88 sans built-in FM sound.

Also, why in hell did Falcom tie Dark Fact's speed in Ys Eternal (then Complete, then Chronicles) to CPU clock speed.
>>
>>3807196
Do you mean to tell me he's not meant to be that fast?
>>
>>3807196
Are you saying he wasn't meant to be super sanic-tier of fast and he's actually slow? Good to know.
>>
>>3807047
Start with the PC Engine port of I & II for best music.
>>
>>3807047
Start with the original version if your an autist. Otherwise the PCE is your best bet.

>>3807059
Put CD in PCE CD you bought in the late 80's
Play
Why is your solution so complicated sport?
>>
>>3807256

Good golly gosh Sport, maybe it's because OP asked it there's a better version that is easy to emulate? Way to come off as an elitist fuck
>>
>>3807196
There's an FM sound mod for the X1 version.
>>
>>3807268
Welcome to 4chan

Why do I even come here you all are such assholes we can't even talk about games because it immediately becomes a console/emulation/superior version war
>>
>>3807268
So why don't you complain about >>3807061? The Windows versions are probably the hardest to emulate.
>>
File: ys chart.jpg (595KB, 2158x1961px) Image search: [Google]
ys chart.jpg
595KB, 2158x1961px
>>
Play the PC Engine versions or the original PC-88 versions and maybe V, don't play the remakes.
>>
>>3807487
Why no Ys VII for PC?
>>
Assuming I know Japanese and can play every console, what are my best options for each game?
>>
>>3807525
Beats me.
At last PPSSPP is an excellent emulator.
>>
>>3807525
Because it's only on chinese.
>>
>>3807530
Ys: Ancient Ys Vanished Omen
and
Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter
Falcom Classics 1&2
>>
>>3807047
What the fuck kind of title is Ys? How do you even pronounce that? "Whys"? "Ease"? "Yes"?
>>
>>3807645
ee's, atleast in jap
>>
>>3807645
>(pronounced /ˈiːs/ EESS)
>>
>>3807645
Eese
>>
>>3807530
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
>>
>>3807642
I love me some Saturn. Just delicious.
>>
>>3807645
"ys".
>>
>>3807047
>The NES games?
Nobody cares about the FC versions. Not even Japs themselves.
>>
>>3807642
What does it have over the other versions?
>>
>>3807660 (Me)
Or, you know, not have. Not all change is good.
>>
>>3807645
Yis.
>>
>>3807660
8-way movement.
Plus it comes with Xanadu. And Dragon Slayer if you're into that.
>>
>>3807645
Sheese like in: "Shees this same question erverytiem"
>>
>>3807648
https://youtu.be/KT-y7bZlpJM

It's EEES in english too.

>>3807857
You are wrong, but I appreciate the humor.
>>
>>3807737
And no downsides? Just asking cause I've never seen that version mentioned in this context.
>>
>>3807645
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpqiVA8pXw4&t=62
>>
>>3807645
"Ease" is probably the closest equivalent for you. Like in "Enjoy playing Ease on your Snezz"
>>
Sorry, but the retro Y's games have shitty combat.
>>
>>3807061
>>Ys: Memories of Celceta (remake of 4: Dawn of Ys, but I haven't played it because I don't have a Vita, so I don't know much about it) (Vita)

There is a PC version of it that was translated. Unplayable without a controller but I love it.
>>
>>3807645
イース, so "Issu".
>>
>>3808607
it's because of people like you that it's shit today
>>
>>3807872
It's a budget Saturn title so it's a bit barebones compared to the PCE-CD nor as advanced as Eternal/Complete/Chronicles
>>
>>3807872
They made Keith a werewolf.
>>
>>3807047
the NES versions are frankly the worst versions, i don't know why

the steam versions of everything should be good enough
>>
I'm torn between PCE or the psp version... Can you guys help me out?
>>
>>3811827
both are good in their own way unfortunately

PCE has the superior musical arrangements imo, and if you want something that also plays like the original PC versions it's perfect for that, i like how the game compiles both Ys 1 and 2 as one game too (why couldn't they do that for chronicles?)
>>
>>3811846
Doesn't the PSP version let you select the soundtrack (including PCE)?
I'm not sure I like the visuals of the remake though, they look amateurish.
The only thing I know about the gameplay is that you can move diagonally in the remake, but I have no idea if that's good or bad, or what else is changed.
>>
>>3811967
no, it doesn't have the PCE soundtrack

it's pretty much hudson's property
>>
>>3811976
Hmm, PCE seems like the most well rounded. How are the changes to gameplay? Like QoL, mechanics changes, design, etc.
>>
>>3811982
you don't have a level 10 cap in Ys 1 since it continues on to Ys 2

you also have two speed settings so you can actually run through the game
>>
>>3811983
I tried both for a bit. The PSP version kinda won me over. the remade soundtrack was metal as fuck, art was anything but amateurish (guess it doesn't translate well into screenshots), intro cutscene was amazingly well animated even though half of it was still shots (godly editing).
I'm torn as fuck.
>>
>>3811846
You can always mod the PCE soundtrack into Chronicles+. It's as simple as replacing the .ogg files.
>>
>>3813941
yeah but unfortunately there are no loop points

they're easy to add though, and it would arguably make it better than the PCE which has no loop points since it's an early CD game

i was actually working on a mod that did all this but i gave up when i realized i had too much work to do
>>
>>3808607
t. lowest common denominator that modern game companies cater to

>>3807501
This. I don't even consider any of the modern remakes canon, there is nothing "Ys" about them. The I, II, and IV on the PC Engine are among the greatest sets of games I've ever played in how they all work together and IV has the best fan translation / fan voice acting I ever had the pleasure of experiencing. A work of love.
>>
>>3815337
Weren't those not even made by Falcom?
>>
>>3815337
Why do you prefer the old ones?
>>
>>3815362
IV? or the PC Engine versions? The only ones "made" by Falcom are the PC-88 versions and some latter things like Eternal, Ys Chonicles and the other ones based on the PSP remakes everything else is ported by other companies and IV (Dawn of Ys version) was made by Hudson (but with some staff of Falcom like the Falcom Sound Team)
>>
>>3815372
Oh, I didn't know. Thanks.
>>
>>3815372
Wasn't Ys V developed in-house? It was the only SFC game they actually made (Ys IV was licensed to Tonkin House).
>>
>>3815565
Yes but, I was mostly talking about Ys 1 - 4 since V only has been ported to the PS2
>>
>>3815337
why couldn't falcom just remake/buy the rights to Dawn of Ys
>>
>>3815605
It's been re-released on Project EGG and the Virtual Console, wasn't it?
>>
i know people think vagullion is a meme but he's genuinely unfair in the original versions

it's impossible to know when you can hit him
>>
>>3807487
Im still a little confused about whether to play 1+2 before Origins, or vice versa.

I understand where they fit in the time line, but would playing it chronologically be better than going back to origins to find out more about the world?
>>
>>3807645
>What the fuck kind of title is Ys?

Legendary sunken island kingdom from Celtic myth. Like Atlantis, but with fairies and shit. Y is still a vowel in most sensible languages, so the main controversy would by over the final sound, which is like 'ice' and not like 'phase' in Welsh and Cornish (and also backed up by イース).
>>
>>3816579
Depends. 1+2 are a different style of game from the newer titles thanks to the bump system it used. If you can stick that style of combat, then I'd recommend going through them first since Origin has quite a number of callbacks to the original games, both in terms of story and design. So some Ys 1/2 stuff might get spoiled if you do it first.

So if you're planning in playing 1+2 anyway, I'd say to go through them first, but if you find you're not enjoying yourself, go and try one of the newer games to see if you prefer that style. While I enjoy 1+2 a lot, they might not be everyone's cup of tea after all.
>>
>>3808842
so desuuuu ka
>>
>>3816579
Play Origin after 1+2. Origin clears up a lot of loose ends and stuff and has tons of referenced to 1+2, it's just more fun discovering these things after you're already familiar with them from playing the first two games.
>>
>>3816898
a-i-s

ph-e-i-s

both sound like two vowel sounds smushed together
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.